Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 PM

Default Night sights and bad eyesight

Gentlemen,

While checking to see if the night sights had gone dark on my CZ, which I keep to fend off potential night predators, I discovered the sites are fine but my eyesight has become so bad that I can’t see the front site. I wear contact lenses, glasses during the day but not at night. Any suggestions on what to do ? Get a light? Get a laser? I suspect if I got a laser, I wouldn’t be able to see the dot either.

Matt

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1137516

Last edited by BadMatt; 05-17-2018 at 10:52 PM..
Old 05-18-2018, 2:10 AM

Handgun lasers are great! If your eyesight is good enough to see the target, you will be able to see the laser spot. If you have any doubts, just try a cheapy $2 Walmart laser pointer and witness if you can see that.

I've had good results using the Lasermax brand laser sight. Much less expensive than Crimson Trace.

I set mine to pulse mode, which makes the spot really jump out. It's great for dry fire practice too.
Old 05-18-2018, 2:23 AM

Flashlight, in my opinion.
But I have shot for decades using point-shooting so I am not reliant solely on sights.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2018, 8:02 AM

Same situation here so my nightstand gun is a Glock 34 with a streamlight TLR 2 HLG.
Kimber TLE RL II, Glock 34, Springfield MC Operator, Springfield TRP Operator, Smith and Wesson 6" 357, CMMG/DPMS 308 AR build, Spikes/LWRC AR15, Mossberg 590, Benelli M4, Benelli M2, PTR 91, Spikes/Midwest Industries build x 2, Leupold scopes, Nightforce scopes, Springfield M1A, Remington Model 720 30-06, Ruger 10/22 x 2, Winchester Model 70 300WM.
Old 05-18-2018, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Nights sights work in a pinch, but you can’t beat a laser/light combo for HD. Perps watch TV’s (stolen) too. The shot always goes in the dot. Watching that little red or green dot dancing across the room towards you some times is enough of an intimidation factor to get the perp to flee, the best outcome for all concerned. Also just don’t zero it once, test it once a month and change the batteries at least once a year.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

get a light, if your eyesight is bad, you don't want to shoot a good guy (kid or SO)
If you are shooting for self defense in your house, it is pretty much point and shoot

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Flashlight, in my opinion.
But I have shot for decades using point-shooting so I am not reliant solely on sights.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
same

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

I have lasers on all the guns I use for nightstand protection, and a separate hand held small flashlight with hi and low beams and strobe.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 05-18-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMatt View Post
I wear contact lenses, glasses during the day but not at night. Any suggestions on what to do ? Get a light? Get a laser? I suspect if I got a laser, I wouldn’t be able to see the dot either.

Matt

If you are shooting irons and your eyes are going bad due to presbyopia (losing acommodation for near and far vision) you need to get an eye exam once a year.

Plus, you also need a shooting prescription based on the sight radius of your pistol so you can see the front sight.

So, that will be your daily eyewear prescription then add +0.75 diopters to its SPH.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:12 AM

You may have a cataract forming. If you have not had a full eye exam in the past year, it may be time now. A cataract clouds the lens and diffuses and usually discolors the light as it come in. It can make it super hard to see in very bright light (glare) and dark (just plain old lack of light). Of course, it could be something else, hence the need for an eye exam.

A simple and crude test: Go into the bathroom and, with all the lights on, look at something like a sink or toilet that you know is bright white. Does it appear to be off white or eggshell or maybe even a little yellowish. That's one of things a cataract will cause.

FWIW and good luck.

From one of my T-Shirts: "When I was a kid I wanted to be older . . . this crap is not what I expected"

Last edited by Denver Dick; 05-18-2018 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Add Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:32 AM

The term "night sights" would be better served by the term "low light" sights. In total or near total darkness the sights are there but you have no idea of the target. Turn on a light (weapon mounted or separate) and the glow of the night sights is obliterated replaced by the outline of the sights. The night sights are really useful at the low light level where you can identify the target but the level of light makes seeing the sights difficult.

I went with TFX Pro sights, getting the fiber to help me in day light and the glow to help in low light. And yes, there is a light mounted on the pistol.
Old 05-18-2018, 4:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The XS Big Dot sights (and similar sights) might help, along with a flashlight. Huge, and the "notch" is more like a shallow trough.

However, as other have said ... make sure you can identify the potential target and not just be shooting at blobs in the night.

And I'm no expert ... but I have access to YouTube (LOL!) and it seems that in a gunfight ... nobody is aiming ... just ducking and shooting in the general direction of whatever is shooting back... I'm not recommending that, but I'm saying sights is probably not as important as a light.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:42 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsandrockets View Post
Handgun lasers are great! If your eyesight is good enough to see the target, you will be able to see the laser spot.
Could not agree more vehemently with the comment above. Lasers are awesome inside of 20 yards, even in bright daylight, for anyone with eyesight issues. I have one on every pistol I own, mounted under the barrel and sighted parallel to the bore. Point of impact is therefore around 1.5 inches above point of aim out to the effective range (around 40 yards dependant on cartridge and pistol). I train for the offset and the result is quicker sighting and highly satisfying accuracy. I have come to the conclusion that those who distain lasers are simply grumpy about the laser's ability to reveal micro movement (even at 5 yards) when the shooter previously believed his/her hands were rock steady on target.
Old 05-19-2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMatt View Post
Gentlemen,

While checking to see if the night sights had gone dark on my CZ, which I keep to fend off potential night predators, I discovered the sites are fine but my eyesight has become so bad that I can’t see the front site. I wear contact lenses, glasses during the day but not at night. Any suggestions on what to do ? Get a light? Get a laser? I suspect if I got a laser, I wouldn’t be able to see the dot either.

Matt
What was your original plan to identify a threat in the dark?
Old 05-19-2018, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

For HD, a minimum requirement is a weapon light IMHO. Night sights and lasers are secondary items.
Old 05-19-2018, 9:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful comments. I will start investigating solutions based on what you have said. Right now, a flashlight/laser combo of some kind seems to be the solution.

@whatisthis - you raise a very interesting point, how to be 100% positive that there is a burglar in the house right after you have been woken up from a deep sleep. I have a dog, who is quite loud, on which I suppose I have been relying on for that. What do you suggest?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1137516
Old 05-20-2018, 12:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Get a light. Keep a pair of glasses on the nightstand. Consider trying out a red dot and see if it helps. Red dots can be great for aging eyes. And they're certainly good at night.

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-20-2018, 1:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Vehemence is typically reserved for disagreement.

What type of night predators are you talking about?
Old 05-21-2018, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
Vehemence is typically reserved for disagreement.
ve·he·ment·ly
ˈvēəməntlē/Submit
adverb
in a forceful, passionate, or intense manner; with great feeling.

I'll lay odds you are one of the grumpy laser haters I mentioned.
Old 05-21-2018, 1:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isntzen View Post
ve·he·ment·ly
ˈvēəməntlē/Submit
adverb
in a forceful, passionate, or intense manner; with great feeling.

I'll lay odds you are one of the grumpy laser haters I mentioned.
Yeah, I'm definitely a grumpy laser hater. Laser, phasers, lightsabers ... hate 'em all.
Old 05-21-2018, 7:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Handgun lasers are great!
I have a Veridian laser light on my bedside gun. Great for bad eyes in low/no light. Very quick getting back on target with these 60+ YO eyes.

Cue the sheepdawgs screaming "DEAD BATTERIES! LEARN TO POINT SHOOT! TRAIN LIKE YA FIGHT!"

All I know is I can dump 10 rds of .45 COM pretty briskly at 10 yds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:20 AM

Thumbs up Handgun Lasers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I have lasers on all the guns I use for nightstand protection, and a separate hand held small flashlight with hi and low beams and strobe.
Good choices!

I used to think handgun lights were a great idea, but for a SD firearm it might invite a tragic accidental shot.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:30 AM

Thumbs up Handgun lasers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isntzen View Post
Could not agree more vehemently with the comment above. Lasers are awesome inside of 20 yards, even in bright daylight, for anyone with eyesight issues. I have one on every pistol I own, mounted under the barrel and sighted parallel to the bore. Point of impact is therefore around 1.5 inches above point of aim out to the effective range (around 40 yards dependant on cartridge and pistol). I train for the offset and the result is quicker sighting and highly satisfying accuracy. I have come to the conclusion that those who distain lasers are simply grumpy about the laser's ability to reveal micro movement (even at 5 yards) when the shooter previously believed his/her hands were rock steady on target.
I prefer under-barrel too. Getting the laser path as close to the boreline as possible is always the best choice.

I'm wary though of using the dustcover location of the Glock to mount the laser. The Glock dustcover is just too flexible to give me confidence that the laser will maintain an adequate zero.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:50 AM

Thumbs up handgun lasers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
I have a Veridian laser light on my bedside gun. Great for bad eyes in low/no light. Very quick getting back on target with these 60+ YO eyes.

Cue the sheepdawgs screaming "DEAD BATTERIES! LEARN TO POINT SHOOT! TRAIN LIKE YA FIGHT!"

All I know is I can dump 10 rds of .45 COM pretty briskly at 10 yds.
I used to be very skeptical of handgun lasers. I thought they were an expensive gimmick (regardless of how cool that .45 Longslide in The Terminator was!)

Frustration with a S&W 637 led me to experimentation with a laser. The sights on that stainless steel snubble revolver were useless. Painting the front sight red and the rear notch flat black helped, but it was still very difficult to aim.

But I remembered a mousegun I saw back at a gunshow in the 1990's, which had been modified with a built in laser sight activated by a switch configured like a grip safety. At the time I thought it very clever, and one solution to adding adequate sights to a pocket gun.

So what the hell, I decided to check out what the market was like for lasers these days. Maybe a laser could help with my 637.

At the time I looked, S&W actually offered a factory model of the 637 with a LaserMax laser. And I found I could order the same laser from Midway for about half the price compared to what I remembered lasers costing. So what the hell, I ordered one, mounted it, zeroed it using a laser boresighter, and tried it out at the indoor range.

Holy Crap! That laser turned a mediocre-accurate J frame into something easy to hit with. Easy head hits at 7 yards, Easy torso hits at 25 yards. Wow. I was a believer then.

All hail the electronic revolution!

Old 05-22-2018, 7:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Holy Crap! That laser turned a mediocre-accurate J frame into something easy to hit with. Easy head hits at 7 yards, Easy torso hits at 25 yards. Wow. I was a believer then.

All hail the electronic revolution!

Snubbies are capable of pretty amazing accuracy... in the hands of a pro that practices a LOT. Lasers take out the short sight radius factor.

I DO take out my bedside gun for practice & make sure everything is in working order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 05-23-2018, 4:36 AM

Lasers are kinda old tech these days. Have the slide mulled for a delta point or something similar if you can afford it.