Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I personally know employees who work for the DOJ and Sac Sheriff, respectively. They both stated that almost nothing gets done during the month of December because of all the time off taken and planning of multiple holiday parties taking place in the offices.

Apparently being a govt worker means you don't have to work during the month of December.

I am at 40 days waiting for my Livescan approval.
Old 12-23-2013, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
I personally know employees who work for the DOJ and Sac Sheriff, respectively. They both stated that almost nothing gets done during the month of December because of all the time off taken and planning of multiple holiday parties taking place in the offices.

Apparently being a govt worker means you don't have to work during the month of December.

As an employee of the DOJ in Sac, I can say that it's the fault of the SSD.

My LiveScan was completed on 12/4 and the results were sent back to SSD the same day (Both DOJ AND FBI results). Still no word on approval.

Call 916-227-4557 and enter your ATI number from the LiveScan form to obtain the status. Unless you have a criminal record, the results are sent out rather quickly from DOJ. The sheriff is lagging behind, most likely due to vacations as you said, but also in part because of the huge base of CCW applicants.
Old 12-23-2013, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

SSD requires a manual letter sent to them from DOJ from what I was told. We do individually mail in the 3rd copy of the livescan document to them ourselves. IDK if DOJ actually sends a manual letter or not.

I really don't understand the fluctuation of time frames between applicants. It really should be consistent unless they are not done in order.

Again, exceeded 90 days and still counting.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Last edited by GlockIPSEC; 02-07-2015 at 1:31 AM..
Old 12-24-2013, 6:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I think the class is good for a year......
Old 12-24-2013, 4:05 PM

I got my final letter to issue today, my live scan was done on Nov 8th Nice christmas gift. Now to get a issuance appointment.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidStu View Post
As an employee of the DOJ in Sac, I can say that it's the fault of the SSD.

My LiveScan was completed on 12/4 and the results were sent back to SSD the same day (Both DOJ AND FBI results). Still no word on approval.

Call 916-227-4557 and enter your ATI number from the LiveScan form to obtain the status. Unless you have a criminal record, the results are sent out rather quickly from DOJ. The sheriff is lagging behind, most likely due to vacations as you said, but also in part because of the huge base of CCW applicants.
Look like I'm in the same boat as you. Live scan 12/04/13 call the automated indicated results sent to SSD on 12/11/13. You're right I think the sheriff department is lagging.

Last edited by tlor; 12-25-2013 at 5:32 PM..
Old 12-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Sac Sheriff waits for the hard copy to come back versus the electronic reply. They use electronic replies to arrest people and to release people, but not for this.
Old 12-25-2013, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
letter or not.
I really don't understand the fluctuation of time frames between applicants. It really should be consistent unless they are not done in order.
Here's what I was told when I waited about 60 days from live scan to final approval letter from SSD back in 2011 (which at that time was probably as much above the average time as yours is now): I had never been live scanned before. I had old (1985 or 86) inked prints on file for employment purposes. They said (and by they, I mean the person at DOJ who helped me expedite things--who knows how long it would've been if not for that assistance) that a manual search and comparison of those old prints was what slowed it down.

There are several variables that can impact the process, and that's one of 'em, apparently. Also, with current budgetary and staffing considerations, it could be that the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays and employee vacations which seem to spike around certain times of year may have a larger impact than they might have before.
Old 12-25-2013, 7:28 PM

Anyone know why they wait for DOJ to snail mail them a hard copy when they have already received your clearance electronically? Doesn't seem to be consistent with their "go green" policy since every e-mail they've ever sent me ends with "This official communication has been provided electronically, consistent with our goal of environmental responsibility."
Old 12-25-2013, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB 916 View Post
Anyone know why they wait for DOJ to snail mail them a hard copy when they have already received your clearance electronically? Doesn't seem to be consistent with their "go green" policy since every e-mail they've ever sent me ends with "This official communication has been provided electronically, consistent with our goal of environmental responsibility."
Doing things electronically is only beneficial if they want it to be, or to appear to really care.
Old 12-27-2013, 1:55 PM

Quote:

Obviously whoever you talked to didn't give you proper info.. SSD is working minus the specific "holiday" day. I e-mailed Amber today about renewal appointments, and she prompty responded.. So just cause you're not getting what you want doesn't mean that they aren't there doing their jobs.
Old 12-27-2013, 3:09 PM

Quote:
They probably want the hard copy to finish off the file. Hard copy filed, you're notified via e-mail, you schedule final appt and show up at final appt and everything is completed and file is closed.....no loose ends waiting to be finished after you're done!!!

Just a thought....
Old 12-28-2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caperkittn View Post
I e-mailed Amber today about renewal appointments, and she prompty responded..
Would be interested to know what Amber said about renewal appointments.
Thanks
Old 12-29-2013, 2:31 PM

That wasn't my experience. i got my email saying i was approved on 12/24. 11/8 was when i completed my livescan.

Quote:

Old 12-29-2013, 4:55 PM

Default CCW Renewal

Re CCW Renewal: My CCW is up end of March 2014; I went on line to set up a renewal appointment. After entering my DL#, the system had my personal data auto-entered (they appeared to have me on file); but the next screen said: "Unfortunately, you California DL number does not appear to be on file. You will have to apply for a new permit." Of course, they are not scheduling any appointments for new permits. I sent an E-mail; I'm hoping it is a snafu that can be fixed. Anyone else with a similar experience with CW renewal?

UPDATE: appears to have been a "glitch"; logged in a few days later and it let me through. Unfortunately, there aren't any new appointments available yet.

Last edited by Davidcumsibylla; 01-01-2014 at 1:28 PM.. Reason: updated information
Old 12-31-2013, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn301 View Post
Would be interested to know what Amber said about renewal appointments.
Thanks
She responded that currently they are closed pending an office move and that they hoped to have the calendar back up and accepting appointments within the next few weeks. We have up to 60 days before expiration and up to 60 days after to renew the permit... If you've kept up on your stuff, a minor hiccup in scheduling shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Aw this is drama, mine expires in March.
Old 01-01-2014, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

I'm curious as to when this office relocation will happen. According to various posts hereabouts, it's been pending for months.
Old 01-02-2014, 8:20 AM

Jan. 1st at 12:01am I watched December fall off the website and waited to see the Feb. calendar open up.....we're still waiting.

Waiting for a renewal appt. is more nerve racking then the initial interview was.
Old 01-02-2014, 9:54 AM

I called Amber on 12/31. She stated that it would be a couple of weeks during the move until they would open up the calendar again.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

First I cant add/replace a gun. Now I cant make a renewal appt.? I really hope someone isnt trying to slow down the numbers.
Old 01-02-2014, 1:54 PM
Veteran Member

i just finished my 2 year renewal..It was very easy and there were many spots. This was end of November. Sucked because I bought a new gun to replace one I have owned for two decades...I did not have the new qualification cert with me on my renewal or they would of did the modify at the same time. I sure hope it clears up for modification soon...
Old 01-03-2014, 6:23 PM

I received a letter from Live Scan on Dec 14 saying my prints were received. I Tried calling the number tonight and entering my info. The response was that my ATI and date of birth were confirmed but There is "No status info on my ATI. I was live scanned on Dec 3rd 2013. Is it just too soon?
Old 01-03-2014, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Just got my livescan approval letter today. Did my livescan on 11/15.
Old 01-03-2014, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connman View Post
I was live scanned on Dec 3rd 2013. Is it just too soon?
Yes.
Old 01-08-2014, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

So my exp. date is March. Has anyone heard how this move will be dealt with for renewing? I tried to go to the site and mark the Calendar but it doesnt let it happen. Any ifo sure would go a long ways,lol.

Before this I was told if you renew after the exp. date you have to start over.
Old 01-08-2014, 3:59 PM

Per Amber Wong at Sac Sheriff there is a 60-day grace period. Unfortunately, if your permit has expired you CANNOT carry. You just won't have to start from scratch.
Old 01-08-2014, 4:16 PM

Looks like their trying to effectively communicate to all.
They put up a notification of the office move on the website.

All new application, final issuance, renewal, and address modification appointments are currently booked. We are currently pending an office move and will have more dates available once complete.

Last edited by christine6; 01-08-2014 at 4:20 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Anyone move and go through the address modification process yet? I'll be moving at the end of Feb and wondered how the process works. In a perfect world there would be plenty of address modification appointments available... Doesn't seem to be any open now, maybe more will open after they move their office.

My only real concern is the "proof of residency" requirement. Won't have a lease agreement or home owners insurance, I'll more than likely be using utility bills (SMUD, PG+E...) and those bills (reflecting the new address) will most likely not arrive until the next billing cycle rolls around (30 days later I assume). Is there a grace period or will my permit be invalid until I can get an appointment and produce those bills as proof of residency.

Strongly considering keeping both houses until I get bills for the new one, then making the move "official" so as not to have CCW problems.

Suggestions? Anyone gone through this?

Thanks

From Sac Sheriff's website
Quote:
If you need to modify any information on your CCW Permit:

If you are moving, you have 10 days after you move to modify your CCW Permit with your new address. To modify your permit or update your address, you will need to schedule a "Concealed Weapons Permit Modification" appointment via our online appointment system. [Online Appointment System]. A $10.00 modification fee in the form of a money order or cashier’s check made payable to “County of Sacramento” is required for all modifications as well as two (2) current pieces of proof of current residency (ie: utility bill, home owners insurance, lease agreement, etc). You will be required to surrender your current CCW permit before receiving your newly modified CCW permit.
Old 01-12-2014, 1:09 PM
Calguns Addict

They are moving their offices and no appts will be available til February most likely. Email Amber Wong and let her know your situation....she may be able to help you out.
Old 01-12-2014, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Anyone move and go through the address modification process yet? I'll be moving at the end of Feb and wondered how the process works. In a perfect world there would be plenty of address modification appointments available... Doesn't seem to be any open now, maybe more will open after they move their office.

My only real concern is the "proof of residency" requirement. Won't have a lease agreement or home owners insurance, I'll more than likely be using utility bills (SMUD, PG+E...) and those bills (reflecting the new address) will most likely not arrive until the next billing cycle rolls around (30 days later I assume). Is there a grace period or will my permit be invalid until I can get an appointment and produce those bills as proof of residency.

Strongly considering keeping both houses until I get bills for the new one, then making the move "official" so as not to have CCW problems.

Suggestions? Anyone gone through this?

Thanks

From Sac Sheriff's website

DMV H6 would work. You're required to update DMV with your new address. As far as utility bills, you can have them email you a letter stating the change to the new address or once it's changed, go online and print the screen shot.

Old 01-13-2014, 1:19 PM

Live scan 10/22/13 FBI cleared 10/26/13 CA DOJ 1/7/14 per ATI call still nothing in the mail.Was Told yesterday by a local gun shop owner that anti gun people have been making appointments And nobody shows up and it's clogging the system?
Old 01-13-2014, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

My approval was by email not regular mail.
Old 01-13-2014, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripbait View Post
Was Told yesterday by a local gun shop owner that anti gun people have been making appointments And nobody shows up and it's clogging the system?
Plausible. Completely unethical, but very plausible.

Old 01-13-2014, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

If they're doing that now, they're plugging in their DL's and then either cancelling or just not showing up. The same DL couldn't be used very many times for something like that. They'd need a lot of people willing to do that to make any kind of impact. That kind of tactic would have been easier for them to get away with before SSD started requiring DL's to book appointments.
Old 01-13-2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
My approval was by email not regular mail.
Same here.

Just waiting for appointments to open up for my final issuance
Old 01-13-2014, 8:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe22 View Post
Same here.

Just waiting for appointments to open up for my final issuance
Joe. How long did it take to get your DOJ back? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2014, 9:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripbait View Post
Was Told yesterday by a local gun shop owner that anti gun people have been making appointments And nobody shows up and it's clogging the system?
I have no doubt you were told this at (the always unnamed) gun shop.
Here are some questions to ask when provided with information of this sort:

-You're running a gun shop, not the CCW program. How do you know this? What's the source of your information? What's their source?
-What percentage of appointments are going empty through "no shows"? How do you know this?
-If someone doesn't show up for an appointment, how do you know they're anti-gun people? Did they send a note?

Sorry, but I'm just about done with the gun shop stories. We have to start asking questions of these guys to clarify that they don't know what they're talking about.

Cheers.

JR
Old 01-14-2014, 2:27 PM

Initial interview 12/12/13

Approval email today 1/14/14

Live Scan tomorrow.