Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 06-07-2017, 2:39 PM

Default California resident traveling to Arizona

As the title line reads, I am traveling to Arizona this weekend.

What are the Concealed Carry laws for a California resident (obviously) WITHOUT a CCW permit visiting Arizona?

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by 67siia; 06-07-2017 at 2:47 PM..
Old 06-07-2017, 2:41 PM

Permit is valid in Arizona.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 2:48 PM

Of course I should have elaborate but, I assume the obvious as Los Angeles County resident... I DO NOT have a permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan76 View Post
Permit is valid in Arizona.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

no permit at all needed in AZ for Conceal or Open, carry however you want in AZ
Old 06-07-2017, 4:02 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

There are some restrictions, please do yourself a favor and google it... Here's a start:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 06-07-2017, 5:00 PM

Do the mile marker 4 rest stop shuffle like every other Californian going into Arizona.

You leave your house with your gun locked up but holster on.

You cross border into Arizona and get off at the first rest stop. Unlock gun. Load with magazine and go about your business in Arizona.

On your way back West, you stop at the last Arizona rest stop and lock your gun back up.

Cross back into California. This is often depressing.

If a holder of a ca ccw disregard this post.
Old 06-08-2017, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Without an AZ permit, Federal GFSZ laws apply. Of course, all other Federal laws apply as well. I suggest reading AZ's firearms laws (not just someone's interpretation of them) yourself before you go.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 06-08-2017, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Pretty simple...any free american that can posses a gun can either open or conceal carry.

-Even if your not consuming it you can not carry in anyplace the serves alcohol without a permit. So you go to Chilis for lunch you leave your weapon in the car.
-You can not carry into any business that has a sign posted. With or without a permit.

Other than that enjoy the weekend here. Its going to be a little cooler too. Only 100-102.
Old 06-08-2017, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Pretty simple...any free american that can posses a gun can either open or conceal carry.

-Even if your not consuming it you can not carry in anyplace the serves alcohol without a permit. So you go to Chilis for lunch you leave your weapon in the car.
-You can not carry into any business that has a sign posted. With or without a permit.

Other than that enjoy the weekend here. Its going to be a little cooler too. Only 100-102.
i have to disagree with that, one couldnt go grocery shopping if that were the case.
Alcohol as a primary business yes, but 'anyplace that serves alcohol' would eliminate half of AZ, seriously, every grocery store and theater serves alcohol.
although this is primarily aimed at ccw permitees
from AZ DPS website
http://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp, click on the questions tab

Businesses serving alcohol for consumption on the premises (exceptions for peace officers and ccw permitees, see A.R.S. 4-229, A.R.S. 4-244, A.R.S. 13-3102)

CAN I CARRY A FIREARM INTO AN ESTABLISHMENT THAT SERVES ALCOHOLIC DRINKS FOR CONSUMPTION ON THE PREMISES IF I HAVE MY CCW PERMIT?
Yes, unless the establishment has posted signs prohibiting weapons (A.R.S. 4-229). You may not consume alcohol while in possession of your firearm (A.R.S. 4-244). There are some additional exceptions see A.R.S. 13-3102.

here is where AZ law essentially does not prohibit, except for under 21. Title 13, chapter 31 is where the firearms laws start
http://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?d...13%2F03102.htm

Last edited by Tripper; 06-08-2017 at 9:47 AM..
Old 06-08-2017, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
i have to disagree with that
Alcohol as a primary business yes, but 'anyplace that serves alcohol' would eliminate half of AZ, seriously, every grocery store and theater serves alcohol.
Serves not sells. Serves means open containers and your consuming it at that location. You can carry into any business like Wal Mart and grocery stores buy a case a beer with your gun on your hip.

Quote:
from AZ DPS website
http://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp, click on the questions tab

CAN I CARRY A FIREARM INTO AN ESTABLISHMENT THAT SERVES ALCOHOLIC DRINKS FOR CONSUMPTION ON THE PREMISES IF I HAVE MY CCW PERMIT?
Yes, unless the establishment has posted signs prohibiting weapons (A.R.S. 4-229). You may not consume alcohol while in possession of your firearm (A.R.S. 4-244). There are some additional exceptions see A.R.S. 13-3102.
Correct If you have a permit. I stated if you don't have a permit like the OP, you can not carry into such places.
Old 06-08-2017, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Fryes, serves alcohol, a little bar actually right next to the liquor isle, so does every harkins theater I have been to, I'm speaking of in and around Phoenix area stores/theaters
My youngest son actually commented on the fact every place we went had a bar in it, and no I was not bar hopping, just grocery shopping
At harkins in Goodyear, the 'bar' is on the left as you enter, before you even get to concessions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tripper; 06-08-2017 at 2:15 PM..
Old 06-08-2017, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Fryes, serves alcohol, a little bar actually right next to the liquor isle, so does every harkins theater I have been to, I'm speaking of in and around Phoenix area stores/theaters
My youngest son actually commented on the fact every place we went had a bar in it, and no I was not bar hopping, just grocery shopping
At harkins in Goodyear, the 'bar' is on the left as you enter, before you even get to concessions

This may be a gray area. I'll have to look into it. As a AZ resident with a CCW I dont worry about it anyways. I think that it has to do with the businesses primary purpose.
Old 06-08-2017, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
This may be a gray area. I'll have to look into it. As a AZ resident with a CCW I dont worry about it anyways. I think that it has to do with the businesses primary purpose.

Yes, the primary purpose of alcohol, which does not include chili's

Old 06-08-2017, 5:23 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes, the primary purpose of alcohol, which does not include chili's
"Those carrying under Permitless Carry without any permit/license from any state can’t carry into any establishment that serves alcohol whether it is posted or not..."

Take it for what it's worth, but in my mind that includes Chili's and pretty much every other restaurant. I'm not sure how official this website is, but it doesn't seem to be unclear on this matter.

An Arizona CCW permit is easy to get, and a good thing to have.

Old 06-08-2017, 6:52 PM

When going to Prescott Valley to visit in laws I always waited till The Flying J to stop, fuel up on food and gas, then unlock the box and start carrying. On the way back, same thing in reverse.
Now I carry from the time I get up and until I go to bed.
Old 06-17-2017, 3:45 PM

I got pulled over in Arizona for going 3 mph over the speed limit. I had two pistols on me. One in the glove box and one next to my hip. Leo asked me if I had any guns in the car. He asked me to step out then tell him where they were. He checked, pulled them out, held me for a few minutes then gave them back and told me to please follow the posted speed limit. I love Arizona.
Old 06-18-2017, 7:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
"Those carrying under Permitless Carry without any permit/license from any state canít carry into any establishment that serves alcohol whether it is posted or not..."

Take it for what it's worth, but in my mind that includes Chili's and pretty much every other restaurant. I'm not sure how official this website is, but it doesn't seem to be unclear on this matter.

An Arizona CCW permit is easy to get, and a good thing to have.

I can't find where the law actually says that
I entirely agree with the last part though
""An Arizona CCW permit is easy to get, and a good thing to have""

Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I can't find where the law actually says that
I entirely agree with the last part though
""An Arizona CCW permit is easy to get, and a good thing to have""

An "On Site Retailer" is defined as an establishment that serves ALCOHOLIC DRINKS FOR CONSUMPTION ON THE PREMISES.

Arizona Revised Statutes, Title 4 – Chapter 229, covers this.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/1...113jud.doc.htm

4-229. Licenses; handguns; posting of notice

A. A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following requirements:

1. Be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and immediately adjacent to the liquor license posted on the licensed premises.

2. Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm.

3. Contain the words, “no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229”.

B. A person shall not carry a firearm on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer if the licensee has posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section.

C. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsection B of this section if:

1. The person was not informed of the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section before the violation.

2. Any one or more of the following apply:

(a) At the time of the violation the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section had fallen down.

(b) At the time of the violation the person was not a resident of this state.

(c) The licensee had posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section not more than thirty days before the violation.

D. The department of liquor licenses and control shall prepare the signs required by this section and make them available at no cost to licensees.

E. The signs required by this section shall be composed of block, capital letters printed in black on white laminated paper at a minimum weight of one hundred ten pound index. The lettering and pictogram shall consume a space at least six inches by nine inches. The letters comprising the words “no firearms allowed” shall be at least three-fourths of a vertical inch and all other letters shall be at least one-half of a vertical inch. Nothing shall prohibit a licensee from posting additional signs at one or more locations on the premises.

F. This section does not prohibit a person who possesses a handgun from entering the licensed premises for a limited time for the specific purpose of either:

1. Seeking emergency aid.

2. Determining whether a sign has been posted pursuant to subsection A of this section.
Old 06-19-2017, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

So, prohibited if posted, otherwise not
I can't think of any place I went that had such a sign, but I probably wasnt looking either

Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
So, prohibited if posted, otherwise not
I can't think of any place I went that had such a sign, but I probably wasnt looking either

Correct. If you have a permit you may CCW on the premises so as long as the business doesn't prohibit such and follows the ARS for posting signage.

If you don't have a permit, you can't CCW regardless on the premises.
Old 06-20-2017, 7:17 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunion1 View Post
I got pulled over in Arizona for going 3 mph over the speed limit. I had two pistols on me. One in the glove box and one next to my hip. Leo asked me if I had any guns in the car. He asked me to step out then tell him where they were. He checked, pulled them out, held me for a few minutes then gave them back and told me to please follow the posted speed limit. I love Arizona.
I can't say I'd be thrilled with getting pulled over for 3 mph over the posted limit.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I can't say I'd be thrilled with getting pulled over for 3 mph over the posted limit.
Interesting, quick story from about 15 years ago in AZ.

Went to UTI, me and some buddies carpooled. My buddy was driving. On way to wherever from school, on freeway, got pulled over.
Cop said 5 over, blah blah blah, instead of a speeding ticket gave my friend a ticket for "excess comsumption of fuel". Recackulous, yes. Better than a speeding ticket, yes.
Old 10-26-2017, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunion1 View Post
He must have seen your California plates.