Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 09-03-2018, 7:50 PM

Default Easy Way To Meet Florida CCW Requirements

Florida has one of the most valuable multi-state licenses. However, it requires proof of competency with a firearm, which can be fulfilled in a number of different ways, but many of these require attending a course and doing a live fire competency demonstration. This can be pricey and time-consuming.

One alternative though is a hunters' education course licensed by the state's "Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state." The NRA has an entirely online course, approved by Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, which is free but for a $10 fee that is forwarded to Oregon to issue a certificate. This enables you to fulfill Florida's competency requirement without getting up from your couch. You can apply online as well, and you will just need to get your fingerprints ink-rolled at a police department/sheriff's office.

https://nra.yourlearningportal.com/C...tivityInfoPage

You can also use Texas, which is similarly an entirely online process. Don't do Florida (has in-person component), Connecticut (same), or New Mexico (complicated process).
Old 09-04-2018, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

They have an online system that meets a requirement for in-person live-fire?

it's amazing what you can do with computers these days. :-)
Old 09-04-2018, 5:07 PM

Interesting Califpatriot, does my CA Hunter Education/Certificate satisfy FL requirement?

I did have to fire five shots at the target at 25 yards with with .22 long rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
They have an online system that meets a requirement for in-person live-fire?

it's amazing what you can do with computers these days. :-)
It doesn't have a live-fire requirement. Here's the competency requirement:

Quote:
(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph. A person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm in his or her physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm included live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in s. 790.001;
The Oregon hunters' ed certificate falls under (h)(1), which doesn't require live fire.
Old 09-04-2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Interesting Califpatriot, does my CA Hunter Education/Certificate satisfy FL requirement?
Yes.
Old 09-04-2018, 6:02 PM

They used to accept your DD214. Bob.
Old 09-04-2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFam View Post
They used to accept your DD214. Bob.
They still do, and you get expedited processing.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Yes.

Started my FL CCW process using CA Hunter Ed. Thanks Califpatriot for the recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk