Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated > Semiauto Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Semiauto Rifles Gallery Post pictures of your rifles and carbines here!

Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 AM

I pulled the trigger, so to speak, on two different grips. I chose the Sparrow Dynamics compliant grip and the spikes industries megafin. I like them both compared to the traditional fin, but I favor the Sparrow grip because I can put my thumb over the grip (with a pinned MOE stock) and it feels more like a traditional grip. The angle of the megafin however is more like a pistol grip angle and the thumb rest offers a secure grip. The one complaint I have with the megafin is that it forces my trigger finger too far into the triggerguard so that my second knuckle is on the trigger. The sparrow grip won't work on my UBR stock because there isn't enough clearance for my thumb, but at this point, its my favorite compliant grip so far, but does cost more than the other options,about $50 in my case.

Old 01-16-2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbinator View Post
Isn't that a thumbhole stock in that configuration since the buffer tube and the stock are touching?
Very curious to know as well. First thing I thought of when I saw that picture. Might have to trim those extensions and pad.
Old 01-16-2018, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Isn't that a thumbhole stock in that configuration since the buffer tube and the stock are touching?
"The buffer tube......

And.....

The stock...."

Now, does the stock have a thumbhole?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranqster View Post
I pulled the trigger, so to speak, on two different grips. I chose the Sparrow Dynamics compliant grip and the spikes industries megafin. I like them both compared to the traditional fin, but I favor the Sparrow grip because I can put my thumb over the grip (with a pinned MOE stock) and it feels more like a traditional grip. The angle of the megafin however is more like a pistol grip angle and the thumb rest offers a secure grip. The one complaint I have with the megafin is that it forces my trigger finger too far into the triggerguard so that my second knuckle is on the trigger. The sparrow grip won't work on my UBR stock because there isn't enough clearance for my thumb, but at this point, its my favorite compliant grip so far, but does cost more than the other options,about $50 in my case.
Is your safety selector set to full auto?
Old 01-17-2018, 9:40 AM

Sig mpx https://imgur.com/a/NWAKH

Here's my sig mpx with the Sparrow dynamics

Last edited by jmaglipay; 01-17-2018 at 9:41 AM.. Reason: Added pic
Old 01-17-2018, 9:47 AM

IMG_20180110_203335210_HDR.jpg
Old 01-17-2018, 10:06 AM

That looks awesome. I wish I would of got one when they were less. Anyone know if they do a Veteran’s discount ?
Old 01-18-2018, 2:37 PM

Got the new adjustable thordsen cheek rise come in today. Heres an updated pic, and i also replaced a tall stock plate with a short one for those of you who are complaining about my stock being too close to the buffer and assuming it should be a thumbhole stock. Lol

Old 01-18-2018, 3:34 PM

Old 01-19-2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
"The buffer tube......

And.....

The stock...."

Now, does the stock have a thumbhole?
The problem is that the DOJ is very wishy washy with a lot of stuff. I encourage you to read this:

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a.../regs/fsor.pdf

Based upon how much they focus on "any stock with an opening" vs. a hole, they may mince words and say that if the two parts are touching such that one does not freely move, it is no longer an opening and it becomes a hole in the stock, making the grip area a thumbhole, a thumbhole being any part of the stock that . As long as you have a gap, you have a separate distinct opening in the stock and, thus, the thumb area is not a thumbhole, but a continuation of the opening in the stock.

There doesn't seem to be any question with the one posted since there is a gap, but, with how CA is with the laws, I wouldn't want to risk it with the two parts in contact with one another.

All that said, I kind of regret not going Thordsen for my build. They just look so sexy. I may have to grab one of the blemished sets...I just need to sell some other stuff or save a little up first.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
All that said, I kind of regret not going Thordsen for my build. They just look so sexy. I may have to grab one of the blemished sets...I just need to sell some other stuff or save a little up first.
I bought blem and could NOT find a single thing wrong with it. Really do like how natural and comfortable it feels.

Last edited by heyjerr; 01-19-2018 at 11:53 PM..
Old 01-20-2018, 6:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The problem is that the DOJ is very wishy washy with a lot of stuff. I encourage you to read this:

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a.../regs/fsor.pdf

Based upon how much they focus on "any stock with an opening" vs. a hole, they may mince words and say that if the two parts are touching such that one does not freely move, it is no longer an opening and it becomes a hole in the stock, making the grip area a thumbhole, a thumbhole being any part of the stock that . As long as you have a gap, you have a separate distinct opening in the stock and, thus, the thumb area is not a thumbhole, but a continuation of the opening in the stock.

There doesn't seem to be any question with the one posted since there is a gap, but, with how CA is with the laws, I wouldn't want to risk it with the two parts in contact with one another.

From your citation:
Quote:
978.20(e) - Thumbhole Stock
The proposed definition originally noticed to the public defined a thumbhole stock as “any stock with any opening that enables the firearm to be grasped, controlled and fired with one hand.” Comments received during the initial comment period (December 31, 1999 through February 28, 2000) stated that the term “any stock with any opening” is overly broad and ambiguous. The Department agrees that any opening can include openings other than thumbholes. As a result, the Department changed “any stock with any opening” to “a stock with a hole.
The definition was revised to specify the physical characteristic of a thumbhole stock as “a stock with a hole that allows the thumb of the trigger hand to penetrate the stock,”......
In an effort to further clarify the definition, the Department added the phrase “into or through” to the phrase “penetrate the stock.” The final revised definition: “thumbhole stock means a stock with a hole that allows the thumb of the trigger hand to penetrate into or through the stock” was noticed.
Old 01-20-2018, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
From your citation:
layman's terms please? lol
Old 01-20-2018, 4:48 PM

Got to go out and shoot my first AR build today. It was a little nervewracking because I thought I did everything right, but wasn't sure. I had it headspaced first though, which did make me a little more confident. Sadly, just a couple lanes down there was someone who had just done a build with some PSA parts and they couldn't get their bolt to engage properly.

I have an Aero Gen2 matched upper and lower with Aero upper parts kit, Aero buffer tube and carbine buffer, Damage Industries spring, and Anderson lower parts kit. Rise Armanent RA-140 trigger, Strike Industries simple featureless grip, Magpul MOE Fixed Carbine Stock modded to fit a LaRue RISR, MBUS, Ballistic Advantage Performance 16in 5.56 barrel, Geissele Super Charging Handle, Toolcraft BCG, Guntec Handguard, and Stag 3G Compensator.

If I did anything different, it would be to grab an Atlas S-One Aero guard and barrel nut instead of the Guntec. Overall I'm very happy with it. The TRS-25 works solid. I need to zero in the P-223 and American Defense mount, but it is a fun setup to shoot.

Last edited by nubbinator; 06-17-2018 at 10:53 PM..
Old 01-21-2018, 8:13 PM

^ Strange. My fresh psa build shot perfectly and smooth. No short strokes what so ever. About 400 perfect rounds through her so far

Old 01-24-2018, 6:24 PM

Just picked up this KAC SR-30 Lower today. The stock is fixed with a Strike Industries stock stop. This grip wrap used to be on another lower with a Magpul fixed Carbine Stock. Will I need a new grip wrap for this stock setup or is this fine?
Old 01-26-2018, 1:02 PM

P1010115.jpg
Old 01-26-2018, 1:14 PM

Hers stock, thread protector, works pretty well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleu View Post

Just picked up this KAC SR-30 Lower today. The stock is fixed with a Strike Industries stock stop. This grip wrap used to be on another lower with a Magpul fixed Carbine Stock. Will I need a new grip wrap for this stock setup or is this fine?

That looks fine. Your thumb canít wrap below the top of the trigger. Nice kac lower btw.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

My universal AK thumb rest
Galil arm/ar/sar , Milled Sam7 , Yugo AK , & Sling loop version thumb grips available now
Old 02-02-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comifornia:( View Post
My universal AK thumb rest

Thatís pretty cool. Mild steel or aluminum?
Old 02-02-2018, 1:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyx View Post
That’s pretty cool. Mild steel or aluminum?
Steel its not bending! Gives you a solid grip
It also has a sling loop on the other side and is reversible for left handed shooters.
Works on any grip fin or grip for that matter.
I'll have them for sale soon.
Galil arm/ar/sar , Milled Sam7 , Yugo AK , & Sling loop version thumb grips available now
Old 02-02-2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comifornia:( View Post
Steel its not bending! Gives you a solid grip
It also has a sling loop on the other side and is reversible for left handed shooters.
Works on any grip fin or grip for that matter.
I'll have them for sale soon.

Thatís rad. You stamping them on a hydraulic press?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystafari View Post
^ Strange. My fresh psa build shot perfectly and smooth. No short strokes what so ever. About 400 perfect rounds through her so far

How do you like the new adjustable cheek rise?
Thordo
Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

1) Stag Factory Built A2 lower with MMG mated to a Stag 3G upper that was expensive and took months to receive during one of the many "droughts." Redfield Battlezone scope, just a great rifle all around.

2) Older Colt HBAR A2 with MMG upper mated to a factory Stag A2 lower. Great rifle and accurate but HEAVY!

3) Windham Weaponry M4. I bought it spontaneously during a "drought" when that was the only EBR left at my LGS. Pinned and finned and braked, with all the stock furniture and factory carry handle. This M4 is a straight champ and I shoot it frequently. Totally underrated gun company, top notch product.

The weapons above all required additional parts and alteration to make featureless compliant. Nowadays some of the gunmakers have keyed in on this market and made it easy. This Ruger AR-556 came as configured, A2 stock, MMG, and no muzzle device (just a thread protector.) Great value at around $600. I migrated the scope and mount from another rifle to this one and they paired perfectly, very easy to zero in. I briefly planned to let this one go to fund something else, but I came to my senses and decided to keep it.

All factory PSA AR, pinned stock and grip fin. Contrary to the popular narrative on PSA, this AR runs like a champ.

And we can't forget the AK's!

And last but not least, the Mighty FAL.
Old 02-03-2018, 1:01 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
And we can't forget the AK's!

Yes don't forget the AK's

Old 02-03-2018, 6:40 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Got the new adjustable thordsen cheek rise come in today. Heres an updated pic, and i also replaced a tall stock plate with a short one for those of you who are complaining about my stock being too close to the buffer and assuming it should be a thumbhole stock. Lol

She's a looker!!

Thordo
Old 02-04-2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordo View Post
She's a looker!!

Thordo
Thanks! I'm loving the setup. Kudos for your hard work in providing functional options for us folk here in Cali! Keep up the awesome work. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next! Will be doing some carbine classes with this featureless setup next month. Should be interesting!
Old 02-06-2018, 4:32 AM

Starting to kinda like that Thordsen gen3 out of all the options.
Old 02-06-2018, 9:05 AM

Still curious to know where we stand with VFGs like in this last picture. I keep hearing it could be considered a pistol grip by some (strained) definitions.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjerr View Post
Still curious to know where we stand with VFGs like in this last picture. I keep hearing it could be considered a pistol grip by some (strained) definitions.

VFG's are a no. AFG's are good, however there isn't a test case, but by the very definition only VFG's are considered as a feature.
Old 02-06-2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordo View Post
How do you like the new adjustable cheek rise?
Thordo
Btw, I'm lovin it. Feels alot better than the buffer cover for sure and i love the ability to adjust the height depending on my optics options. Id recommend this combo for anyone thinking of getting the thordsen frs15 gen 3
Old 02-06-2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
VFG's are a no. AFG's are good, however there isn't a test case, but by the very definition only VFG's are considered as a feature.
Oops, I meant AFG
Old 02-08-2018, 3:20 PM

Lots of cool looking rifles. Do you still need the bullet button though?
Old 02-08-2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL247 View Post
Nope
Drop that mag as intended all day long
Old 02-08-2018, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL247 View Post
Quote:
Nope
Drop that mag as intended all day long
Only true if you don't have any other prohibiting features. See the flowchart to help you stay legal.

Another word that has the same meaning is, Inclusion.

Last edited by erik_26; 02-08-2018 at 4:19 PM..
Old 02-08-2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_26 View Post
Only true if you don't have any other prohibiting features. See the flowchart to help you stay legal.
Assuming they're featureless as what this thread entails. Well at least i assumed . Regardless that flowchart should answer the question
Old 02-09-2018, 3:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Umm, isn't that flowchart out of date now, based on the change of definition to what a "fixed" magazine is?
Old 02-09-2018, 4:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
Umm, isn't that flowchart out of date now, based on the change of definition to what a "fixed" magazine is?
Not for featureless rifles.
Old 02-09-2018, 4:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. View Post
Not for featureless rifles.
Fair enough, I guess this is the featureless thread, still needs to be updated. Sure would suck for someone to get the wrong idea.