Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-20-2017, 9:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Eh, bubbaing a gun can be cringe worthy. Just like someone nickel plating or Cerokote on a WW2 1911. In this case I don think the gun had any historical province and isn't rare, so whatever. But I get the discomfort. Pretty sure you took nedro a little too serious.
You're correct...it's definitely not the same as chopping 3 inches off a Model 29 that was owned by Elmer Keith...it doesn't take days of searching to find a Wingmaster. If nedro feels offended, I wouldn't object to an apology...though I'd like to see nedro's 870(s) at the same time.

See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc86bmsn View Post
An apology from any one of these folks that don’t really shoot the wingmaster they own, except for a box of bird shot once a year for trap or hunting is worthless. I built this to my standard. Someone who actually uses their guns, and beats them up regularly. The people typing the hate are partially what’s wrong with the 2a community. More concerned about typing an opinion to bring someone down because they disagree with a build choice instead of being active in the community or industry. They are only as tough as their keyboard allows, and probably wouldn’t say any of this in person.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 10-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
You're correct...it's definitely not the same as chopping 3 inches off a Model 29 that was owned by Elmer Keith...it doesn't take days of searching to find a Wingmaster. If nedro feels offended, I wouldn't object to an apology...though I'd like to see nedro's 870(s) at the same time.

See below...

Photobucket has my pics.
I only have 1. 30" full chock, Magnum receiver for 2 3/4" and 3" shells. Weren't no Rem Chokes back then.
Bought it out of the JC Penney catalog when I was 18 (more than a few decades ago). Picked it up at will-call in Sunnyvale and had to take it out of the box to inspect it before taking it home. They insisted on it. Gathered it all up under my arm and walked out to my truck, just like that. No fuss. No muss.

Last edited by nedro; 10-20-2017 at 12:26 PM..
Old 10-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Was thinking of doing the same

My WM is from the roughly the same time period. Thought of making it tacticool, but so many memories with it, couldn't bring myself to do it (got it brand new when I was 13 dad bought it am 60 now). Bought the tactical express and will build on that. Not really much more I'd want to do though. Got it in time to take advantage of the rebate offer too.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Banned

Old 10-20-2017, 1:03 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
...this sort of gun butchery.

Seems that there are almost as many tacticool putzes out there as there are decent Wingmasters.
Nothing personal, but the OP has created a fine weapon, and one that I daresay the late, great Lt. Col. (Retired) J.D. "Jeff" Cooper would have approved of. The addition of the ghost ring and the front post make it.

Folks use shotguns for different reasons. You sound like a bird hunter, and that's a fine thing. But please do not denigrate someone their combat shotgun, made from 1 of the over 11,000,000 produced.

I love my Wingmasters, and have swapped to shorter barrels. I have kept the originals (a 28" full choke and a 26" SKEET choke). I have installed flex tab carrier/bolt conversions and Remington Supercell butt pads (the second shotgun since this photo was taken). One has had a single-shot mag extension added to it, the other sling swivels.

20151112_192913.jpg

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

Last edited by 200Apples; 10-20-2017 at 1:06 PM..
Old 10-20-2017, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Nothing personal, but the OP has created a fine weapon, and one that I daresay the late, great Lt. Col. (Retired) J.D. "Jeff" Cooper would have approved of. The addition of the ghost ring and the front post make it.

Folks use shotguns for different reasons. You sound like a bird hunter, and that's a fine thing. But please do not denigrate someone their combat shotgun, made from 1 of the over 11,000,000 produced.

I love my Wingmasters, and have only swapped shorter barrels. I have installed flex tab carrier/bolt conversions and Remington Supercell butt pads. One has had a single-shot mag extension added to it, the other sling swivels.

Attachment 649894
They look beautiful!
Old 10-20-2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:

I love my Wingmasters, and have swapped to shorter barrels. I have kept the originals (a 28" full choke and a 26" SKEET choke). I have installed flex tab carrier/bolt conversions and Remington Supercell butt pads (the second shotgun since this photo was taken). One has had a single-shot mag extension added to it, the other sling swivels.

Attachment 649894
nice 870s and I like your lantern collection also.
Old 10-20-2017, 1:20 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Thanks, fellas. And they're both a 1980 vintage, which makes them 50th Anniversary 870s if magazine advertising from the era is any indication. The vintage Coleman has to be some of the greatest industrial art of the 20th Century along with the Remington 870 and 1100.

And now, because Brad has seen fit to spice up our lives with a moustachioed Mona Lisa... I give you this 1100.

20160531_194838.jpg

What can I say? I like my long guns short, light and handy... like my women. Hee!

Old 10-20-2017, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

Is that your BBQ gun?
Just kidding. Also looks nice.
Old 10-20-2017, 1:23 PM

Quote:

Attachment 649894
Nice collection - of everything. You make my work space look like ****
Old 10-20-2017, 1:28 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
Is that your BBQ gun?
Hah! Thanks for the compliment. That would be something, wouldn't it; carrying a purty shotgun around at a Texas party... I have always referred to it as "Texas tactical", though.

downdiver, thank you. And that's about all I have collected: Guns and lanterns. No boats, no airplanes, no Hardley Davissinz... just a wife, a son, a house, a truck and a job.

Old 10-20-2017, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

Like those lanterns 'Apples. That goldish colored one, 2nd from left. What's the story on that one. Very nice!

Sorry for hi-jack folks.
Old 10-20-2017, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Mona Lisa was a man baby!
Old 10-20-2017, 2:47 PM

Seems that there are almost as many tacticool putzes out there as there are decent Wingmasters.[/QUOTE]

So I’m a “tactical putz”? Because I worked over a pitted rust bucket of a gun too something more useful for my style of gun ownership? What a joke. You are the kind of person I described in my previous post.
Old 10-20-2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Seems that there are almost as many tacticool putzes out there as there are decent Wingmasters.
So I’m a “tactical putz”? Because I worked over a pitted rust bucket of a gun too something more useful for my style of gun ownership? What a joke. You are the kind of person I described in my previous post.[/QUOTE]

Ignore that clown....

Some of these guys are acting like you just sawed off the barrel of the last Mauser on the planet or something....Jeebus.

Its an 870.

There are bazillions of them out there.

Old 10-20-2017, 3:25 PM
Banned

So the question I gotta ax, is do you shoot them?
Old 10-20-2017, 3:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is he? she? the one you had a "misunderstanding at the Cheetah Club" with?
Sorry Brad, I couldn't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1381407
Old 10-20-2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:

Attachment 649894
Wow, Apples, I love these Wingmasters! Really beautiful. "Texas tactical" works for me. Really like pairing up the original wood with the checkering with the short barrel. Proving it doesn't have to be black, plastic and ugly to be useful for HD. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-20-2017, 5:56 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Thank you, Sandhill. :-)

Quote:
So the question I gotta ax, is do you shoot them?
I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and assume you might be asking this question of me.

The answer is, of course, yes; I do shoot them. I prefer to blow up 3-dimensional targets (not paper) with slugs and in the great outdoors.

However, I do not shoot my shotguns nearly as often as I do my bolts .308 and X39, my .45 1911s (the distinction made because of the dearth of the 9mm variants, however blasphemous), my DA Smiths, my SA Rugers and their companion-caliber Marlin 1894s and Winchester '92s... or my AR, or my rimfire rifles. I'd shoot more clays than I do but being cross-dominant makes me a lousy wing shot.

Do you shoot much besides shotgun?

Last edited by 200Apples; 10-20-2017 at 5:59 PM..
Old 10-20-2017, 6:53 PM

It’s looks clean & simple. If the action is slick and you like it, then that’s what matters. Sell the original wood and call it good!
Old 10-20-2017, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

There's nothing wrong with turning a reliable 870 Wingmaster into a fighting shotgun as opposed to using the current garden fertilizer offered by Remington, if that's what the OP wants to use it for. I say, "Good job, OP.", and don't pay any mind to the whining "purists". If I showed them the battered $150 Wingmaster upon which I've mounted an overfolding stock and an equally battered rifle sighted barrel from my department's old inventory, their heads would probably explode... especially after I finish the project with a nice coat of Parkerizing...
Old 10-20-2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
So I’m a “tactical putz”? Because I worked over a pitted rust bucket of a gun too something more useful for my style of gun ownership? What a joke. You are the kind of person I described in my previous post.
Didn't call you a "tactical putz." I referred to the "tacticool" putzes out there. If you identify with that group, fine. Your gun, do what you want with it. Seems kind of like turning a perfectly good Camaro into a Donk. Camaros are about as common as Wingmasters.

Last edited by Ducky's Dad; 10-20-2017 at 9:10 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 2:24 PM

Nah..you missed the mark completely with that Donk car pic.

I'm not a Chevy guy,but Op's 870 would be more accurately portrayed as:

Old 10-21-2017, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Well done OP one of a kind...
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 10-21-2017, 6:51 PM

As normal per cal guns, a lot of bickering. I only come here for the knowledge.
I learned that I need a LEFT handed Wingmaster.
Old 10-21-2017, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member

One of my wingmasters doubles as an hd gun.

It sports a cut down vented rib barrel with a truglo sight and the plug pulled out.
No other gun i own is as reliable or as familiar to my hand so i know you chose well.
My guess is what youv'e done suits you well.

Pronouns: "Dude" and "Playa".

https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf

I was born under a wandrin star.
Old 10-21-2017, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I give you this 1100.

Attachment 649896

What can I say? I like my long guns short, light and handy... like my women. Hee!
That 1100 is a thing of beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.
Old 10-22-2017, 7:20 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Thanks, plumbum!

Quote:
LEAD LAUNCHER

I'm not a Chevy guy, but Op's 870 would be more accurately portrayed as:

Bullseye! mister. Well played.

Old 10-22-2017, 7:23 PM

Being the Express and Wingmaster are the same guns but with different furniture and finish and only two small parts that are not any better, just different I can't understand people slamming the Express. Yes, 11 million 870's sold and many of them are Express Models or Special Purpose models. Also realize the Tactical Models are Express Models also. Anyone knowing anything about these guns would not make the statement that the Express is crap because it is as I said just an 870.

And yes, the OP built his gun. Not mine nor anyone else's gun. He did what he want to with it. Not something I would do but it is not my gun and will not be used by me. Slamming the guy is out of line and is one of the problems with forums.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunslings.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 10-22-2017, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Being the Express and Wingmaster are the same guns but with different furniture and finish and only two small parts that are not any better, just different I can't understand people slamming the Express. Yes, 11 million 870's sold and many of them are Express Models or Special Purpose models. Also realize the Tactical Models are Express Models also. Anyone knowing anything about these guns would not make the statement that the Express is crap because it is as I said just an 870.

And yes, the OP built his gun. Not mine nor anyone else's gun. He did what he want to with it. Not something I would do but it is not my gun and will not be used by me. Slamming the guy is out of line and is one of the problems with forums.
Yes,
slamming a guy over what he wants to do with his property is bad but forming an opinion of the difference between an express and a wingmaster based on what you read somewhere ain't a whole lot better.

Old 10-22-2017, 8:40 PM

My slamming of the recent express models comes from personal experience with several recent guns-not internet lore.

However-if you Google Remington 870 express problems or simply search this forum you will find many people having issues with these late model guns.

Perhaps these problems are present in the current Wingmasters as well-but I don't seem to see that.

I've always considered myself an 870 guy.

I've only personally owned two 870's,but have shot many of my friends older guns as well for years.

I also have owned 1187's-which are of course mechanically very similar to an 870 but with a semi auto gas system.

My field grade 28" 870 and 1187 and also my 21" 1187 Police with rifle sights were 90's era guns and never gave me a bit of trouble.

Same with my CHP trade in gun,a 1973 manufactured 18" bead sighted Wingmaster 870.

Working at a range until fairly recently that uses several brands of shotguns,you get a feel for which guns work,which have issues(sometimes only with certain brands of ammo of course) and which guns are just problematic POS's.

While our slightly older Expresses didn't seem to have too many issues`except with a couple brands of ammo,the recent one's were giving so many issues that I requested Mossbergs be sent instead of Remingtons next time.

The problems?

Constant sticky extraction with all ammo.
Clients couldn't eject the shells.
Often we couldn't either without mortaring to get the shell out.
Often the shell would remain stuck in the chamber and require a rod.
It was always either get a cleaning rod for the 870 or a client saying this thing locked up.

Everyday mortaring of 870's-like it's a normal thing.

We never had that problem with the older guns.
I left that job before figuring out the issues-but I see online different theories of rough chambers on expresses or out of spec extractors and more.

Don't really care-I'll most likely stick with the older guns.

If you were to offer me a new express or a new Mossberg 590,or even a 500-no question-I'd take the Berg.
With the tang safety and Rattles and all.
I also do like that they have dual extractors as well.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
My slamming of the recent express models comes from personal experience with several recent guns-not internet lore.

However-if you Google Remington 870 express problems or simply search this forum you will find many people having issues with these late model guns.

Perhaps these problems are present in the current Wingmasters as well-but I don't seem to see that.

I've always considered myself an 870 guy.

I've only personally owned two 870's,but have shot many of my friends older guns as well for years.

I also have owned 1187's-which are of course mechanically very similar to an 870 but with a semi auto gas system.

My field grade 28" 870 and 1187 and also my 21" 1187 Police with rifle sights were 90's era guns and never gave me a bit of trouble.

Same with my CHP trade in gun,a 1973 manufactured 18" bead sighted Wingmaster 870.

Working at a range until fairly recently that uses several brands of shotguns,you get a feel for which guns work,which have issues(sometimes only with certain brands of ammo of course) and which guns are just problematic POS's.

While our slightly older Expresses didn't seem to have too many issues`except with a couple brands of ammo,the recent one's were giving so many issues that I requested Mossbergs be sent instead of Remingtons next time.

The problems?

Constant sticky extraction with all ammo.
Clients couldn't eject the shells.
Often we couldn't either without mortaring to get the shell out.
Often the shell would remain stuck in the chamber and require a rod.
It was always either get a cleaning rod for the 870 or a client saying this thing locked up.

Everyday mortaring of 870's-like it's a normal thing.

We never had that problem with the older guns.
I left that job before figuring out the issues-but I see online different theories of rough chambers on expresses or out of spec extractors and more.

Don't really care-I'll most likely stick with the older guns.

If you were to offer me a new express or a new Mossberg 590,or even a 500-no question-I'd take the Berg.
With the tang safety and Rattles and all.
I also do like that they have dual extractors as well.
Oh, i'm not disagreeing with you.

While it's news to me that there are any mechanical parts differences between the two at all (or actually several i guess including the sportsman and others) that's not the difference.

The fit and finish are a factor sure but you don't need a thing of beauty to protect your home.
It's more that that same attention to the finer points was paid to the internal workings as well with an older wingmaster.
The sportsmans iv'e cycled and even hunted with made me wonder if i needed to turn them over to let the filings fall out or would the oil soak them up.
40 some years of wingshooting with them here..... and the sportmans just don't match up to the butter slick operation, balance and rock solid reliability of a wingmaster.

Old 10-23-2017, 1:07 AM
Calguns Addict

No doubt the older 870 are smoother to operate on the pump action. Like many mass produced items. Remington having now sold in the realm of 12 million units has dropped some quality control.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 10-23-2017, 4:00 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

When you post up a thread like this, you are going to get positive as well as negative comments. With that said, I like the mods and the work appears to have been very well done.

I am also enjoying the handwringing of those who chide the OP for somehow having ruined a classic Wingmaster shotgun. Even funnier is all the hot air that he should have used a modern 870 Express. The newer 870 Express guns are a poor substitute for a vintage Wingmaster and frankly not worth spending a lot of time and money upgrading. I say this from personal experience owing and using both of them. I would take a vintage Wingmaster as a defensive shotgun before a newer Express all day long.
Old 10-23-2017, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm not a field guy. I'm in this gun after parts and purchase way cheaper than I could buy a new express.
And it is a far better shotgun than an express (forged, stainless bolt, quality finish)
And wingmaster’s aren’ hard to find. They are everywhere.

Personally, knowing how little effort it is to get an 870. Wingmaster I would never own an express given the choice.

Get yourself some Wilson/Scattergun Tech. Sights on that - you won’t regret ilt for a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 10-23-2017, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Maybe paint a moustache on the Mona Lisa next time instead
Not an unexpected comment from this bozo

Quote:
Old 10-23-2017, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jza80tt View Post
Looks good to me.. I understand a lot of purist comments in here but at the end of the day it's his gun and he's gonna do what he wants with it.
It isn’t like he sporterized a 1903, or put a Devine into a Sage stock.
He took one of the most ubiquitious shotguns ever and built what he wants (effectively a Wingmaster Police Magnum) which is a far better built shotgun than any current 870 (express ??? As if ...).

If you consider an 870 wingmaster a grail gun, your sights are too low. (Disclaimer - I have 3 870s - all Wingmasters 12g in 18”, 12g 28”, 20g 28”)

Quote:
Old 10-23-2017, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Even OLD Wingmasters aren't rare guns, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. Anybody that wants one should be able to find one.

Just like the rest of us, he made his the way he wanted it.
This.

It isn’t an Ithaca 37 lol.

Quote:
Old 10-23-2017, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
No, there really are not many old good samples left. I've been looking for over three years now.
I can assure you SoCal guns in san diego will have a few - as about a hundred others - not hard to find if you look.

Quote:
Old 10-23-2017, 8:29 AM

Jeez, why does everyone have such incredible boners for old wingmasters? He didn't paint the thing purple, and he could very easily convert it back and forth between this setup and a field gun. What if he had decided to change the barrel for one with a rib? Or one with removable chokes? Is that "destroying a classic gun?" What makes guns, especially shotguns, cool is how you can do anything and everything with them, and I guess the great thing about the internet is you can talk down to people who are having fun.