Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-14-2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Since water is going to be your biggest worry in a SoCal emergency, forget beans, rice, pasta and freeze dried food. They require large amounts of water to make them edible. Have you ever tried eating a bowl of uncooked rice?

Most canned foods are pre-cooked and most contain large amounts of water (canned carrots, canned green beans, canned new whole potatoes, soups etc.) or moisture.
Pro tip: look up how to cook pasta in a rice cooker, it uses a minimal amount of water and it works really well (especially with macaroni or other short, tube-shaped pasta).

Obviously you'll need electricity via generator or solar, but it is fast so can be done without killing your energy supply.

Similarly, the parboiled "minute" rice (white, not brown) uses half the water of regular rice, and doesn't waste it by boiling it away (you end up consuming almost all the water used to cook it)... Ironically, that means you cook the rice on the stove and the pasta in the rice cooker after an earthquake.

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775

Last edited by jwkincal; 08-14-2018 at 7:09 PM..
Old 08-14-2018, 8:20 PM

You can still buy rice and beans for cheap. Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers placed in a 5 gallon bucket with some seasoning and call it good with 200lbs per person.
Old 08-15-2018, 2:35 PM

I have about 3 months of just beans and rice stored in mylar. I've got another 2-3 months of mountain house. About 20lbs of spices (salt, pepper, cinnamon, etc) in jars vacuum sealed with oxygen absorbers just in case.

I only have about 100 gallons of water, but enough filters that I could raid the neighborhood for gray water (those water heaters) and filter it. Most people will have left water standing in there if it ever gets that bad, because they don't know about it.

Additionally, I'm not far from the ocean. It's not hard to make a salt water steam purifier for nearly unlimited clean water.