Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-23-2011, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubet View Post
You can not ccw in a bar in Ca. It has to be a food establishment first, bar second for you to be in there.
Please cite the PC to back up your assertion.
Old 03-23-2011, 1:25 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubet View Post
You can not ccw in a bar in Ca. It has to be a food establishment first, bar second for you to be in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
Please cite the PC to back up your assertion.
But of course, there is no PC that says that.

PC does say that issuing agencies can add their own reasonable restrictions to the license - so long as it actually appears on the license, you have to obey or lose the CCW.

Sacramento has such a restriction on their CCW. Other places do not.

But 'no ccw in bars' is not state law.

The relative wisdom of carry in bars is for a different thread.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-24-2011, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
So to be absolutely clear, if I have a ccw permit I CAN carry on school grounds?
Presuming a CA 12050 license without a printed restriction on it stating otherwise...From a purely legal/criminal perspective; yes.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
Federal facilities, edit that to read POSTED PROHIBITED federal facilities staffed by federal employees.
I've found military bases to be widely varied and none of them make any effort to noticeably pose a sign at the gate to indicate how prohibited they are.

From making phone calls with base security I've found:

Camp Pendleton - guns are allowed but only for a 36 hour period and then they much be removed from the base or registered. Only military law enforcement can register a firearm. They offer occasional hunting so this makes since.

Edwards AFB - Shotguns are allowed, not sure on the rest. They hold a regular Trap shoot on base open to the public.

AF Plant 42 - no guns, no ammo, no knives, etc.

Now don't hold me to any of this because we all know that every 3 years officers rotate out and policies may change because of it.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

so to be clear....as of 04/04/2011, are there any gov't parks (State, Nat'l, Local) where my CCW does not allow me to carry a weapon? Yellowfin mentioned certain State Parks that don't allow even CCW.....how is that possible? What laws allow certain public parks to prohibited licensed CCW if the locations aren't specifically mentioned in the PC??

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 04-04-2011, 2:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
so to be clear....as of 04/04/2011, are there any gov't parks (State, Nat'l, Local) where my CCW does not allow me to carry a weapon? Yellowfin mentioned certain State Parks that don't allow even CCW.....how is that possible? What laws allow certain public parks to prohibited licensed CCW if the locations aren't specifically mentioned in the PC??
California Fish and Game has some unlawful restrictions on carry permit holders. Some counties also unlawfully bans firearms for carry permit holders. CGF is aware of the F&G issue (that is being worked by CRPA) and San Mateo County. If you have any other, please bring it to our attention.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 04-04-2011, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
California Fish and Game has some unlawful restrictions on carry permit holders. Some counties also unlawfully bans firearms for carry permit holders. CGF is aware of the F&G issue (that is being worked by CRPA) and San Mateo County. If you have any other, please bring it to our attention.

-Gene
It's off topic for this particular thread, but interestingly Sacramento County prohibits firearms in parks and county buildings. I see no 12050 exemptions.

Pretty sure Librarian will want to split this off into it's own thread, maybe akin to this one only focusing on unlawful local laws.

Quote:
Chapter 9.42 DANGEROUS WEAPONS AND DANGEROUS ARTICLES ON COUNTY PROPERTY
9.42.010 Prohibition.
The carrying, transportation, use or possession of dangerous weapons or dangerous articles is prohibited in or upon any building or grounds. (SCC 264 § 1 (part), 1976.)

9.42.020 Dangerous Weapon Defined.
As used in this chapter, “dangerous weapon” includes any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slingshot, billy, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, razor with an unguarded blade, and any metal pipe or bar used or intended to be used in a club. (SCC 264 § 1 (part), 1976.)

9.42.030 Dangerous Article Defined.
As used in this chapter, “dangerous article” includes any explosive or flammable substance which can be exploded or burned in a manner which is capable of producing bodily injury or damage to property, or any bomb, grenade or similar device. (SCC 264 § 1 (part), 1976.)

9.42.040 Exemptions.
a. The prohibitions of this chapter shall not apply to any judge, sheriff, deputy sheriff, policeman, marshal, deputy marshal, member of the California Highway Patrol, member of the California State Police, agent of the Department of Justice, agent of the Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement, guard or parole officer of the State Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority, or probation officer or deputy probation officer who is acting in the course of employment and who is lawfully authorized to possess such weapons.
b. The prohibitions of this chapter do not apply to any County employee or agent of the County who is required to possess dangerous articles in order to perform County business, work or service on County premises. (SCC 264 § 1 (part), 1976.)

9.42.050 Violation a Misdemeanor.
Any person who violates the prohibitions of this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable as provided in Section 1.01.190. (SCC 264 § 1 (part), 1976.)
Also:

Quote:
Chapter 9.36 PARK REGULATIONS

9.36.060 Firearms, Air Guns, and Other Weapons.
No person other than peace officers in the discharge of their duties shall use, maintain, possess, fire, or discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and arrow, slingshot, or any other weapon potentially dangerous to wildlife or human safety, except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the director for such use. A violation of the provisions of this section is a misdemeanor. (SCC 576 § 15, 1983.)

Last edited by jb7706; 04-04-2011 at 2:39 PM..
Old 04-21-2011, 8:50 PM

Default State recreation areas?

to add to the questions, this is from the Auburn State Recreation Area's website:

Quote:
Except for shotguns and rifles used
for hunting during the hunting season, all
firearms, loaded or unloaded, are prohibited in
the Auburn State Recreation Area (CCR 4113).
page 12 from here:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/502/fi...News111503.pdf

so does this apply? they are citing a different code:

Quote:
Quote:
My apologies for the delay-

The California Department of Parks and Recreation through its legal section, has determined that CCR 4313 exempts the following:

1) California Peace Officers who are otherwise permitted to carry firearms
2) Honorably retired California Peace Officers with concealed weapons privileges
3) Citizens with concealed firearms privileges

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Adrian E. Itaya

California State Parks
Public Safety Division

(916) 651-0403
is a california CCW permit valid here or not? Confusing at best.
Old 04-21-2011, 9:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwo View Post
to add to the questions, this is from the Auburn State Recreation Area's website:

page 12 from here:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/502/fi...News111503.pdf

Quote:
3) Citizens with concealed firearms privileges
so does this apply? they are citing a different code:

is a california CCW permit valid here or not? Confusing at best.
Yes, CCW is valid.

14 CCR 4313
Quote:
Current Section§ 4313. Weapons and Traps.

(a) No person shall carry, possess or discharge across, in or into any portion of any unit any weapon, firearm, spear, bow and arrow, trap, net, or device capable of injuring, or killing any person or animal, or capturing any animal, or damaging any public or private property, except in underwater parks or designated archery ranges where the Department of Parks and Recreation finds that it is in its best interests.

(b) Nothing herein contained shall be construed in derogation of the use of weapons permitted by law or regulation and to be used for hunting in any unit, or portion thereof, open to hunting.

(c) Firearms not having a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, other unloaded weapons or devices such as traps, nets, and bows and arrows may be possessed within temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.

Note: Authority cited: Section 5003, Public Resources Code. Reference: Sections 5003.1 and 5008, Public Resources Code.
If Parks & Rec legal dept says it's OK, it's OK. Keep Mr Itaya's note around someplace.

The Public Resources code sections noted provide 'general' authority to maintain the peace and protect the parks.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Last edited by Librarian; 04-21-2011 at 10:01 PM..
Old 05-20-2011, 7:49 AM

I was planning on attending the San Bernardino County Fair with my wife and children. I have noticed in the past that there is a sign at the gate that prohibits firearms. Does this pertain to those with CCW's? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdw View Post
I was planning on attending the San Bernardino County Fair with my wife and children. I have noticed in the past that there is a sign at the gate that prohibits firearms. Does this pertain to those with CCW's? Thanks.
For now, if they have metal detectors and/or wands, plan on not carrying.

The inter-relationship between fairs and fairgrounds and county ordinances and state law is not easily mapped.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-23-2011, 4:26 PM

Quote:
California Fish and Game Code Section 10500

The first line seems like it could be read as a CCW is OK, but I'm wondering if it was more meant to address hunting and/or fishing licenses issued by the department. Thoughts?
Any update on lawful CCW in a State Game Refuge? I frequently fish on a lake within a Game Refuge and have wondered about the legality of CCW while there. go? No go?

I assume that my campsite within a State Game Refuge give me exemption as it is my temporary place of residence. Is that interpretation still correct given I am within a Game Refuge?

Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default San Diego Regional Airport Authority Code 7.02

The SDSO lists this on the terms and conditions of your permit...

SAN DIEGO COUNTY REGIONAL AIRPORT AUTHORITY

CODES ARTICLE 7
-
SAFETY AND SECURITY PART 7.0
-
REGULATION OF CONDUCT SECTION 7.02
-
DANGEROUS OBJECTS
(a) No person, except a peace officer or a member of the Armed Force on official duty, shall carry any weapon, explosive, or inflammable material on or about his or her person, openly or concealed, on the facilities and airports under the jurisdiction of the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority (the “Authority”), without the permission of the Authority’s Executive Director or his or her designee.

(b) No person may furnish, give, sell or trade a weapon on Authority property.

(c) For the purposes of this section, the term "weapon" includes, but is not limited to, firearms, explosive devices, dirks, bowie knives, blackjacks, switch blade knives, slingshots, metal knuckles or similar devices or instruments.

(d) This section shall not apply to persons transporting for lawful purposes any weapons which are carried in said person's luggage in accordance with the Authority’s codes, policies, rules and regulations and applicable federal, state and local laws.
Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
CCW USA FIREARMS TRAINING
www.CCWUSA.com
"like us" on Facebook for class discounts
www.facebook.com/CCWUSA
Old 05-28-2011, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWUSA View Post
The SDSO lists this on the terms and conditions of your permit...
I think you missed this in post 1:

"Assuming there are no other restrictions printed on ones permit (you are bound by those, but those are not 'general' for all CCW holders), and the guns carried are listed etc. one may carry everywhere EXCEPT:"
Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
I think you missed this in post 1:

"Assuming there are no other restrictions printed on ones permit (you are bound by those, but those are not 'general' for all CCW holders), and the guns carried are listed etc. one may carry everywhere EXCEPT:"
And, first post also says
Quote:
*Some local ordinances may prohibit CCW in non-sterile areas of an airport
It's useful to know San Diego has that restriction.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
And, first post also says
It's useful to know San Diego has that restriction.
As does Orange County Airport.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Added a restricted zone in downtown Sac that has no fence or other indication it's a no go area. The entire grounds of the capitol is off limits to even LTL defense tools, not sure if the sidewalks are included or not. CCW is exempt only if they have permission from the Capitol security guys.

Quote:
(A) Any firearm.
(B) Any deadly weapon described in Section 653k or 12020.
(C) Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the
blade of which is fixed or is capable of being fixed in an unguarded
position by the use of one or two hands.
(D) Any unauthorized tear gas weapon.
(E) Any stun gun, as defined in Section 244.5.
(F) Any instrument that expels a metallic projectile, such as a BB
or pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or
spring action, or any spot marker gun or paint gun.
(G) Any ammunition as defined in Section 12316.
(H) Any explosive as defined in Section 12000 of the Health and
Safety Code.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

171c(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:
(2) A person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant
to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2
of Part 4, and who has permission granted by the Chief Sergeants at
Arms of the State Assembly and the State Senate to possess a
concealed weapon upon the premises described in subdivision (a).

When did the mess about AND permission get added - I'd swear that was never there before...grrrr
Old 07-30-2011, 4:21 AM

Angry City-halls and city buildings

As a Los Angeles City employee going from building to building i see security screens every one. Their are different wording but for the most part they state no weapons of any kind including CCW permit holders. As a CCW holder in another county it eirks me that L.A. doesn't observe any CCW permit unless you are a pase officer.
Old 08-13-2011, 9:45 PM

I go camping allot to New Melones and Don Pedro, does anybody know if you can CC their? Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider2 View Post
I go camping allot to New Melones and Don Pedro, does anybody know if you can CC their? Thanks
I would recommend you ask in the Firearms in Forests and Parks thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=186457
Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Don Pedro is administered by a special district, and it appears to have LEO's like some park districts do. It appears that you cannot carry there:

Don Pedro Recreation Agency

http://www.donpedrolake.com/Recreati...ions/index.htm

New Melones is run by the Feds, I believe (Dept. of the Interior/Bureau of Reclamation. I don't know if the same laws pertaining to caarying with an LTC in national parks and forests would apply there or not.
Old 08-14-2011, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
Don Pedro is administered by a special district, and it appears to have LEO's like some park districts do. It appears that you cannot carry there:

Don Pedro Recreation Agency

http://www.donpedrolake.com/Recreati...ions/index.htm

New Melones is run by the Feds, I believe (Dept. of the Interior/Bureau of Reclamation. I don't know if the same laws pertaining to caarying with an LTC in national parks and forests would apply there or not.
Under who's authority is the district organized? There must be a government agency of some kind that is responsible for it.

ETA: Turlock Irrigation District runs it. Can a publicly owned utility revoke civil liberties? That will be an interesting question to explore.

Last edited by jb7706; 08-14-2011 at 1:25 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
Polling place is perfectly fine to CCW at.

Take the "iffy" ones out of the where can I carry list. You can carry there. Realistically, you can carry anywhere there is not a metal detector and you won't risk going to jail if you get "caught". Private businesses, and licensed private shows on public lands, have the right to ask you to leave, and have you arrested for trespassing ONLY if you don't leave. Again, not getting in trouble for CCW. If you want your list to be factual, you must remove these.

A qualification can't be made of "you will lose your CCW even if you don't go to jail for it" since that is not a law, it is always the discretion of the issuing agency.

You can remove prisons, jails, game refuges. The metal detector rule applies to the first two, the game refuge one simply isn't true. You can enter the lobby / holding area at a jail, without going through a metal detector.

The masked identity one, pc12040, would be an interesting one to appeal all the way up. If they claim to include wearing a motorcycle helmet, or being masked on Halloween, then the RKBA implications are huge. I'm certainly not disarming next time I hop on a bike. Found your other thread on this in 2a. I'm certainly not wearing a mask to disguise my identity on a motorcycle, more to keep my skull in one piece.

Post offices, ugh. I'm of the kind to believe that my govt issued license is an official purpose of carrying a weapon for my stated self defense. This works on most of the federal regulations as well, it simply has to be fought in the courts by a non-criminal. I'm sure we will see these change at some point.

Federal facilities, edit that to read POSTED PROHIBITED federal facilities staffed by federal employees.
Makes the most sense...COMMOM sense, that is. First, there are places where even LEOS on duty can't carry and are buzzed with metal detectors, such as federal courthouses and penal facilities. I know detectives seeking to interview employees are sometimes turned away with a curt "get a warrant" response just like they're on an episode of Law&Order. How far do you think an LTC holder will get there?

Second, LTC holders should also realize it does not take much for a spiteful gatekeeper at one of those facilities where the LTC has "proven" he or she was "right" to place a phone call to the issuing agency, pepper it with exaggerated or fictitious claims of rudeness or a threatening attitude and get the LTC's permit pulled.

The better strategy is to scout out the location or call ahead and see if metal detectors are used or if there is a weapons restriction. Sometimes huge events that have a restriction policy will dispense with searches or metal detection because it causes a significant delay that pisses off the majority non-carrying crowd.
Old 08-13-2012, 6:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Under who's authority is the district organized? There must be a government agency of some kind that is responsible for it.

ETA: Turlock Irrigation District runs it. Can a publicly owned utility revoke civil liberties? That will be an interesting question to explore.
Y'know, I don't think so.

Here's what looks like the statutes governing districts:
Water Code
Quote:
20570. It is reaffirmed that districts are state agencies formed and existing for governmental purposes.
Government Code
Quote:
61060. A district shall have and may exercise all rights and powers, expressed and implied, necessary to carry out the purposes and intent of this division, including, but not limited to, the following powers:

(a) To adopt ordinances following the procedures of Article 7 (commencing with Section 25120) of Chapter 1 of Part 2 of Division 2 of Title 3.

(b) To adopt, by ordinance, and enforce rules and regulations for the administration, operation, and use and maintenance of the facilities and services listed in Part 3 (commencing with Section 61100).

(i) Provide police protection and law enforcement services by establishing and operating a police department that employs peace officers pursuant to Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code.
At least, I'd ask my lawyer if that were the proper approach to the issue.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 08-15-2012, 7:53 PM

There needs to be an app for this...
"I love it, its my second ammendment but we with the gun was the only thing between those guys and the oven and they still can't know this theys too dumb and I seen the ovens. They dont know it but they cant take all the guns and if ever, push ever comes to shove we'll be back." - Don Burgett
Old 09-17-2012, 2:46 PM

Download "Legal Heat"

Free last I checked. Good info there. All states

Last edited by Librarian; 09-17-2012 at 3:32 PM..
Old 09-17-2012, 3:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUER1911 View Post
Download "Legal Heat"

Free last I checked. Good info there. All states
99 cents, today. Do you have it? What does it say about CA, compared to the first post in this thread?

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 09-17-2012, 8:42 PM

From the App:

Prohibited Areas (state)

California generally prohibits the carrying of a concealed firearm on the person in public or within any vehicle under his or her control or in which he or she is an occupant. California Penal Code § 12025(a)
Any picketing activity §12590(a)(2)
Anywhere that serves alcohol for consumption. (cannot have a firearm while consuming any alcoholic beverage or while under the influence of any medication or drug, prescribed or not)
Courtroom/Courthouse PC 171b(B)(2)(B)
Public meeting (does not apply to permit holders, see special note below).
Capitol or Legislative offices 171b(b)(3), 171c.
Governor or other Constitutional Officer residences
Gun Shows (cannot have firearm and ammunition inside show) PC 12071.4
Possessing a firearm at a polling place (Cal. Elec. Code § 18544(a));
Possessing a firearm on the buildings or grounds of the "Cal Expo" center in Sacramento (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 14, § 4955);
California State Parks (Cal. Code Regs. Tit. 14, §4313(a) - see special note below).
Possessing a firearm in or on the buildings or grounds of: a. A child care center (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 22, § 101238(g)(2));b. A social rehabilitation facility (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 22, § 81087(g));c. The residences of transitional housing placement program licensees (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 22, 86087(d)); ord. Crisis nurseries (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 22, § 86587(g)(2)).
Prohibited Areas (federal)

Airport secure areas* (49 CFR § 1540.111(a))
Post Offices* (18 USC § 930, 39 CFR § 232.1)
Federal buildings (including prisons, courthouses, and Army Corps of Engineers)* (18 USC § 930, 36 CFR § 327.13)
A private residence if notice is given (verbal/posted sign)
Military bases* (18 USC § 930)
National cemeteries (38 C.F.R. § 1.218(a)(13))
Any area designated secure or otherwise prohibited by State or Federal Law
Old 09-17-2012, 8:59 PM

The back ok the permit says:

'not valid if consuming alcohol or remaining at any establishment that primarily servs alcohol'

^ of, serves

Last edited by Librarian; 09-17-2012 at 9:35 PM..
Old 09-17-2012, 9:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks.

That's pretty good, except for the alcohol and private residence bits - no PC support for alcohol, and not all LTC have that restriction. If it IS there, it's real.

Private is more courtesy and then trespassing if one is discourteous - no support at all for signs in PC (but again, if on the LTC, enforceable at the lose-the-license level).

(I take it you're posting from your phone - editing is tough sometimes from a phone.)

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

The point of this thread is places where one may not legally carry with an LTC. That app doesn't seem particularly suited to answering that question.

Bolded responses below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUER1911 View Post
From the App:

Prohibited Areas (state)

California generally prohibits the carrying of a concealed firearm on the person in public or within any vehicle under his or her control or in which he or she is an occupant. California Penal Code § 12025(a) moot with LTC
Any picketing activity §12590(a)(2) semi-correct. This only applies to what would commonly be known as striking
Anywhere that serves alcohol for consumption. (cannot have a firearm while consuming any alcoholic beverage or while under the influence of any medication or drug, prescribed or not) Common misconception - there is no legal basis for this.
Courtroom/Courthouse PC 171b(B)(2)(B) moot with LTC if one is not 'party to an action pending before the court'
Public meeting (does not apply to permit holders, see special note below).
Capitol or Legislative offices 171b(b)(3), 171c. as noted, generally moot for LTC holders
Governor or other Constitutional Officer residences
Gun Shows (cannot have firearm and ammunition inside show) PC 12071.4 This is semi-possible (see first post)
Possessing a firearm at a polling place (Cal. Elec. Code § 18544(a)); Perfectly legal even without an LTC; provided one is not 'stationed' there.
Possessing a firearm on the buildings or grounds of the "Cal Expo" center in Sacramento (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 14, § 4955);Unlawful regulation via Government & Penal Code
California State Parks (Cal. Code Regs. Tit. 14, §4313(a) - see special note below).moot with LTC
Possessing a firearm in or on the buildings or grounds of: a. A child care center (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 22, § 101238(g)(2));b. A social rehabilitation facility (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 22, § 81087(g));c. The residences of transitional housing placement program licensees (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 22, 86087(d)); ord. Crisis nurseries (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 22, § 86587(g)(2)).IIRC Unlawful regulations via Government & Penal Code.

Prohibited Areas (federal)

Airport secure areas* (49 CFR § 1540.111(a))
Post Offices* (18 USC § 930, 39 CFR § 232.1)
Federal buildings (including prisons, courthouses, and Army Corps of Engineers)* (18 USC § 930, 36 CFR § 327.13)
A private residence if notice is given (verbal/posted sign) No force of law - if asked to leave then leave or face possible trespassing issues
Military bases* (18 USC § 930)
National cemeteries (38 C.F.R. § 1.218(a)(13))The citation for this is with regard to VA facilities; it has nothing todo with National Cemetaries
National Cemetery buildings might fall under TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 930
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Administrator

I don't think claiming 'unlawful regulation' is going to keep one from being arrested. Once those are challenged and fixed, they'll become non-issues. (A whole bunch of local laws need to have 'except lawful LTC' incorporated. e.g CGF v San Mateo.)

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 10-04-2012, 8:33 AM

Can someone explain in lamens detail about carrying at schools? Two questions: First, when I pick/drop off my kid, I was under the impression you couldnt even drive onto a school campus. Second, I am getting back into college and what about there?
Old 10-04-2012, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoNeE View Post
Can someone explain in lamens detail about carrying at schools? Two questions: First, when I pick/drop off my kid, I was under the impression you couldnt even drive onto a school campus. Second, I am getting back into college and what about there?
If you have a valid LTC and no pertinent restrictions printed on it you may carry anywhere on public school grounds, K-12 and any state college or university, see PC 626.9.

As a student in a state school or college you may be subject to that institutions administrative rules that prohibit carry. Legally you may still carry, but if discovered you will be subject to whatever administrative penalties are enforced at that institution. That means you cannot be convicted of a crime, but you may be subject to administrative sanction up to being expelled from the school.

IANAL and all that, this is my understanding of the PC and not legal advice.
Old 10-04-2012, 7:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If you have a valid LTC and no pertinent restrictions printed on it you may carry anywhere on public school grounds, K-12 and any state college or university, see PC 626.9.

As a student in a state school or college you may be subject to that institutions administrative rules that prohibit carry. Legally you may still carry, but if discovered you will be subject to whatever administrative penalties are enforced at that institution. That means you cannot be convicted of a crime, but you may be subject to administrative sanction up to being expelled from the school.

IANAL and all that, this is my understanding of the PC and not legal advice.
I just want to re-iterate that these is a correct analysis.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 10-20-2012, 2:47 PM

For those that have not taken a class for CCW/LTC please follow these posts with a grain of salt. There are facts and opinion sprinkled/intermixed throughout.

Rely on your instructor, issuing Sheriff and attorney for clarifications.
God willing you will die old with family close at hand.

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 10-20-2012, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post
For those that have not taken a class for CCW/LTC please follow these posts with a grain of salt. There are facts and opinion sprinkled/intermixed throughout.

The first post is the meat. Is there anything in there that is not accurate?
Old 10-20-2012, 4:25 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Rely on your instructor,
If only you were kidding. Instructors are not reliable sources for the law, and are not given to taking criticism.
Old 10-21-2012, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post

I agree there may be speculation and/or inaccuracies in the general posts to this thread, but the first post should be 100% correct. If you believe there to be any errors in it, please bring them up in this thread.

However, always remember, "[This list is] Assuming there are no other restrictions printed on one's permit (you are bound by those, but those are not 'general' for all LTC holders)"

Frankly, my opinion is to rely on your instructor inasmuch that they are there to teach you from their personal perspective. Expect them to be wrong at all times. Verify everything they say. Trust, but verify.