Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-25-2017, 8:34 PM

Default Water storage containers

I have some blue Reliance 5 gal jugs, and lots of old 5 gal Sparklets water bottles. I have found someone who has the sparklets service who is going to exchange my older bottles for their newer ones. I would like to get new caps for the Sparklets bottles, I would like them to provide a good seal and be reussable.

So far I am looking at these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...P220XGNI&psc=1

or these

https://www.amazon.com/Dew-Cap-Repla...A565WNKKAKP63Y

Has anyone used these or others for storing water? Does anyone have any experience storing water in the Sparklets bottles? Pros/cons? I am planning on storing them in the garage in a dark corner.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Only thing I can add is do not store directly on concrete get a pallet and make sure they are in the dark. Best bet is to get a tarp and cover them so no light gets to them for longer storage time. Of course you will be treating the water with something for long term storage. I have 330 gal treated and stored change every 5 years. I also bought 55 gal drums from I think it was Costco that come with filters of the highest filtration including nuclear so when I and if I tap into the 55 gal drums I am filtering the water coming out before we touch it just to make sure it will not make us sick in a disaster or time of need to use.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:46 PM

I am not using any additives, I fill them up locally with alkaline mineral water & rotate them through my water dispenser - they never reach in excess of 6 weeks old.

I am planning on moving in the next year, so I don't care to buy a 55 gal drum and have to move it, but once I am moved I do plan to get some larger, longer term water storage, and I will treat those.

I feel like the Alkaline Mineral water may have a longer untreated shelf life than tap water - but I have not seen any research or evidence to back that up.
Old 12-27-2017, 1:09 PM

The one thing I wish I could find is a place to test my water that is reasonably priced so I know if I need to treat or rotate. I am coming up on 5 years for the water I have stored. It was treated and covered so no sunlight and its in a cool place no more than 70 or so degree's during the hottest days of summer.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 12-27-2017, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Water is cheap.. I just rotate it out every June with fresh and drop in a touch of bleach..

We have just over 500 gallons stored in containers ranging from 5 to 320 gallons..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 12-27-2017, 3:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

teaspoon of bleach in each and replace water and steriize bottles every few years.
Old 12-27-2017, 4:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can use test for chlorine residual as an indicator. Assuming you use municipal water that is treated with chlorine or chloramines.

Any presence of chlorine means nothing should be growing in it.

Be sure to test for total chlorine and not just free chlorine.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Water storage containers

Fairly certain that if in a nuclear disaster your stored water is contaminated in storage you’re beyond screwed already and filtering it on the way out won’t mean much, at that point everything around you is continuing to irradiate you and it’s Chernobyl escape time.

My first 55gal drum just arrived and I got a 4caster base for it (that alone was as much as the drum... not sure movingly full is worth that), and I’ll be treating only with light chlorine. I have a large supply of good granulated chlorine for a widespread water contamination event but also pretty sure if that happens in SoCal were all screwed and just bailing out of here.

I bought the Auguson Farms 55gal drum kit with pump and water treatment bottle. Will probably buy another from them it looks to be acceptable but a few molding wrinkles and caps are pretty tight to turn from the molding process, but they appear to seal.

I also have 2 5gal Spectre water cans and plan to add 2 more, those could be used to move water to refill the 55 if a source is available. And I keep those full and cycled out at 6 months.

I also have at least 18 1gal water bottles that are Costco full size sealed drinking water and those will be cycled out too, but are really for neighbor aid and family short term help.

Last edited by lordmorgul; 12-28-2017 at 10:39 AM..