Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM

Thumbs up Appleseed in Corona, May 18-19!

Appleseed returns to Raahague’s in Corona May 18-19! Come out and join us for a weekend at the range before the summer heat sets in.

Learn (or refresh) the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, reconnect with your heritage and challenge yourself with our version of the Army Qualification Test (AQT). Shoot an expert score on the AQT and earn the, often elusive, Rifleman patch.

Registration info is here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-...ame=California

Tips about preparation and what to bring are here: http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

If you have questions, post 'em up.
Old 05-07-2013, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

Been meaning to do one of these for a while, this might line up schedule wise.
Questions:
-Are these more geared toward using .22LR, or will a centerfire (.223 ) work just as well?
-The site says "preferable" zero of 25 meters, are they going to expect me to change zero if I'm not zero'ed at that range?
-Any issues with using a RAW (registered assault weapon) at this?
-10+ round mags?
-Or would a bullet button'ed rifle with 10- mags be better?
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....

Last edited by ptoguy2002; 05-07-2013 at 9:15 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoguy2002 View Post
Been meaning to do one of these for a while, this might line up schedule wise.
Questions:
-Are these more geared toward using .22LR, or will a centerfire (.223 ) work just as well?
-The site says "preferable" zero of 25 meters, are they going to expect me to change zero if I'm not zero'ed at that range?
-Any issues with using a RAW (registered assault weapon) at this?
-10+ round mags?
-Or would a bullet button'ed rifle with 10- mags be better?
From my research, the Appleseed can be shot with whatever rifle as you start the day learning fundamentals shooting at 25 yards. Afterward learning the fundamentals, they have you put them to use by shooting 100 yard targets. If you don't follow the training with the group, not sure why even bother participating.

I don't think there is a problem with using a RAW, but why when most of the people and kids will be using 22lr and small semi auto rim fires.

Most people cannot carry more than 10 rounds in California. You will be more than adequate with two 10 round magazines.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM

PTOguy2002,

Centerfires are welcome at this range, also no prob if you want to shoot your RAW. Most people choose to shoot 22's because of ammo cost. The lessons learned transfer easily to any other rifle and you can build skills on a .22 for a fraction of the cost.

Re Mags. Our course is made up of 5-10 round drills so larger mags are not needed, though you are welcome to use whatever legal mags you want. Biggest issue here is be sure that you can shoot in prone w/o mag touching the ground. On an AR platform that usually means that 10's and 20's will work better for most folks than 30's, but 30's can be fine too, just depends on your physical build. Be sure you bring at least two jam-free mags to work with.

We suggest that you zero at 25m as the course of fire is shot at that distance. We will go over how to zero your rifle, but you will be ahead if you have it zeroed to start with.

This will be a 25m event. Often, at Appleseeds on ranges that have longer distances available, there will be an opportunity to shoot at longer distances. Corona is a 25m range w/o longer distances availble.

The good news is that distance makes no difference in nearly all of the fundamentals of marksmanship. Small target at short distance = large target at long distance. For example, other than understanding trajectory and wind, equal skill is required to hit a 1" square target at 25yds as is to hit a full-size torso silhouette target at 500yds.

Hope to see you there!
Robert