Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-09-2017, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
Nice to have you back d-r. I have been wondering, what in your experience/opinion is the most up-to date technology in soft armor that can be worn under regular clothes and what are the effective ratings? Has there been any significant development of "concealable" soft armor with lightweight trauma plates?
It is very hard for someone just doing research online and in retail/vendor shops to get a good idea for what the "state of the art" is.
Thanks for the kind words. Good to be back.

The current state of the art is 5th gen Wovenates, such as Kevlar XP and Twaron SB1. These do not exhibit the same failings as earlier laminates, such as Goldshield/Flex, and do not contain UHMWPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCloud9 View Post
Great thread OP!

I'm not sure my body armor question belongs in this particular thread, but it is the same subject so here goes.

1. What concealable, flexible, light weight, soft body armor would you guys recommend for a business executive seeking protection from handguns?

2. What soft fabric materials and technological advances are you seeing in the body armor space?
1. I am not particularly impressed with most vendors right now. American Body Armor has a "No sales to civilians policy" which nixes them completely. If they reverse their policy, I would heartily recommend them, as they offer both 100% woven aramid vests and 5th gen Wovenate vests.

2. As posted above, the current state of the art in soft body armor is (IMHO) the 5th gen Wovenates such as Kevlar XP and Twaron SB1. Really outstanding materials by these companies. Since M5 is still vaporware at this juncture, these two materials are best practices, along with the tried and true 100% woven Aramid.

I have about three years worth of testing to do in less than a year, so will still be a bit sparse on here. But please post or message me. If I don't see your post, PM or email is best.

Last edited by d-r; 02-09-2017 at 9:31 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 9:29 AM

Default bulletproofme.com

I am really interested in these plates. however it says NIJ 05 and i cant find much on that. Anyone decipher this or have experience with these? The price is per plate which is about the most i want to spend. Any help is much appreciated.

Looking athe medium sapi cut..most likley put in mayflower apc.

http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html

Guns don't kill people. People Kill people.
Old 02-17-2017, 9:33 AM

What does the hive know about SteelOps.com plates?

d-r?
Old 02-19-2017, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakken View Post
I am really interested in these plates. however it says NIJ 05 and i cant find much on that. Anyone decipher this or have experience with these? The price is per plate which is about the most i want to spend. Any help is much appreciated.

Looking athe medium sapi cut..most likley put in mayflower apc.

http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html
There is no NIJ 05, that I'm aware of. It was NIJ04, then NIJ06, at least from what I've read. Those plates are made by Armour Wear. I will tell you while their Level IV plate stopped M2AP, I was less than impressed with the overall construction and durability of their plate.
Old 02-19-2017, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
This is how badass M80A1 is

No...But...No. I-I ....That's...That's impossible!!!!
Old 02-19-2017, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
There is no NIJ 05, that I'm aware of. It was NIJ04, then NIJ06, at least from what I've read. Those plates are made by Armour Wear. I will tell you while their Level IV plate stopped M2AP, I was less than impressed with the overall construction and durability of their plate.
Thank you!

dang, i really liked the weight for the price but maybe one of those too good to be true things.

I have been looking at AR650 by Spartan. Seems light for the price.

Guns don't kill people. People Kill people.
Old 02-21-2017, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

D-R great to have you back!
What is your opinion on ballistic Tupperware (helmets)? ACH/MICH vs PASGT. I guess also the newer high cuts. Is there a composition/protection difference or is it mostly design/cut difference? And generally what are your thoughts?

Stay Safe and Shoot Straight.
Old 03-07-2017, 1:17 PM

.50BMG Body Armor Anyone?

Old 03-09-2017, 2:23 PM

Thanks, DB. Good to be back. I will be posting a blog article on helmets. Short answer, the newer high cuts are GTG (TC-2001, TC-2002), I do prefer aramid vs. UHMWPE for composition (the weight savings is not worth the chance of denaturing due to heat, since these are more exposed than plates that live in a PC).

Buff, there is personal armor that will stop BMG, but you pretty much will have a collapsed rib cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryBoy View Post
D-R great to have you back!
What is your opinion on ballistic Tupperware (helmets)? ACH/MICH vs PASGT. I guess also the newer high cuts. Is there a composition/protection difference or is it mostly design/cut difference? And generally what are your thoughts?
Old 03-10-2017, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-r View Post
Thanks, DB. Good to be back. I will be posting a blog article on helmets. Short answer, the newer high cuts are GTG (TC-2001, TC-2002), I do prefer aramid vs. UHMWPE for composition (the weight savings is not worth the chance of denaturing due to heat, since these are more exposed than plates that live in a PC).

Buff, there is personal armor that will stop BMG, but you pretty much will have a collapsed rib cage.
It would depend I guess on range. I mean real world, an ideal shot from 50BMG may be many hundreds of yards out, not 75 yards
Old 04-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Even at 1000 m, a BMG is packing the same amount of kinetic energy as a .454 Casull at the muzzle.

It's going to hurt. Alot.
Old 04-21-2017, 5:21 AM

Repost:

I have a US Armor "Terminal Velocity" IIIA
Model: USA3A-12
NSN: 8470-01-527-5097

It was originally in a Mayflower carrier with 10x12 SAPI plates but now resides in a BCS carrier as a backer for my 11x14 Ceradyne plates.

I assumed I was good in the hood since I got this from a buddy who was a USAF CCT but I decided to pull the panels out and it says that it's: 100% Air Entangled Kevlar

Is this bunk armor? It's supposed to be 100% Kevlar 129 according to what I found on procurement info but is this some of the dreaded laminate I have heard about or is this g2g
Old 04-21-2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromanMD View Post
Repost:

I have a US Armor "Terminal Velocity" IIIA
Model: USA3A-12
NSN: 8470-01-527-5097

It was originally in a Mayflower carrier with 10x12 SAPI plates but now resides in a BCS carrier as a backer for my 11x14 Ceradyne plates.

I assumed I was good in the hood since I got this from a buddy who was a USAF CCT but I decided to pull the panels out and it says that it's: 100% Air Entangled Kevlar

Is this bunk armor? It's supposed to be 100% Kevlar 129 according to what I found on procurement info but is this some of the dreaded laminate I have heard about or is this g2g
You are GTG, air-entangled aramid is great stuff, allows for better threat defeat for same areal density of material.