Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-19-2017, 4:18 PM

Default Two new old rifles: Remington and Romanian

I went into my favorite local store today with the intention of buying a Ruger 10/22 for target practice and squirrel hunting. They didn't have one so I ended up buying two other rifles, both "antique" written on the tag:

Remington 550-1 semi-auto: it felt so nice in my hands, I had to buy it. $300. In good condition from what I could tell. I hope this was a fair price.. he convinced me it was a low price and theyre going up in value, but Im seeing some online for half of that.

And

Romanian .22lr training rifle bolt action with a scope(M69 i think, but tag in store said M22). I bought it because it was $25.. now I can bring a friend to hunt squirrel with! The stock is ugly so maybe Ill refinish it.

I think I made the right choice. How's the saying go? "Things aren't made today like they used to be."? I hope that applies here.

Anyone with interesting knowledge or experience on these rimfire rifles?

If there's interest, I'll post pictures in ten days.
Old 04-19-2017, 5:23 PM

Hi CZ,

I don't know anything about the Remington.

I do remember the Romanian Training rifles being sold on Gun Borker
or Auction Arms, perhaps 15 years ago. They were selling for about $75.00.

As I remember, they were your most basic "cadet" training rifle.
There is nothing special about them. Though the Romaian SKS and AK's are
very well thought of, because of the workmanship, the same does not apply to an entry level .22 training rifle.

I would get the rifle and go shoot it. If you still like it, then fix it up
the way you like. Otherwise, you may find that you put a lot of work into
a gun that you don't really like, and perhaps doesn't even shoot that well.

I would expect accuracy around Minute of Moose. Sqvuirrel should be safe.

Boris, Worlds Best No-Good-Nick.

(Sorry, couldn't resist-ski. Tommy)

Earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs, but not every mans greed.
Old 04-19-2017, 6:28 PM

I definitely plan to do plenty of shooting before deciding what to do next. Right now, my biggest worry is that I'll end up shooting the Romanian better than the Remington!

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-20-2017, 1:22 AM
Veteran Member

Bought my son one of those Romy trainers for his first rifle. Accurate and 100% reliable. Trigger sucks but fine for a casual plinker/bunny blaster. If you find mags pick them up. Hard to find those suckers.
Old 04-20-2017, 4:22 AM
Veteran Member

I had a 550-1 that was given to me by an old (now deceased ) friend. It was his Rabbit gun he used growing up in Nebraska in the 40s. It was scary accurate. Be careful if you disassemble for cleaning..they are a complicated mechanism, but that said, I think your gonna love this rifle.
Old 04-20-2017, 4:57 AM
Veteran Member

Those Romanian Trainers are really good guns......the sights are very practical, and the action is simple and sturdy. The Taiwanese aftermarket mags you find on ebay are very good mags.
Double-check how the scope is mounted. If a base is atached to the receiver dovetail, it may not be attached very well. That dovetail was meant to aid in manufacturing, not to mount a scope to. It is not standard sized.
Old 04-20-2017, 9:07 AM

If you like the rifle, the price was right.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Those Romanian Trainers are really good guns......the sights are very practical, and the action is simple and sturdy. The Taiwanese aftermarket mags you find on ebay are very good mags.
Double-check how the scope is mounted. If a base is atached to the receiver dovetail, it may not be attached very well. That dovetail was meant to aid in manufacturing, not to mount a scope to. It is not standard sized.
Good info, thanks.
Old 04-20-2017, 7:57 PM

@RobG actually the reason it was priced so cheap was because it came with no mags. I will be shopping for some very soon.

@Bainter1212 thanks ill keep an eye out for Taiwanese mags.

@beerman Thanks. Im excited to get the Remington out of custody. I think im gonna love it.

@Mutant the Remington, at least by holding, felt every bit of what i paid for it. Hopefully it performs well at the range.
Old 04-20-2017, 8:05 PM

One more quick question if y'all got the time...

For the Remington 550-1, it was made somewhere in the 50's-70's (i'll know exactly once I have it). It has grooves for a tip off mount, but if I were to mount a scope, I would prefer to drill and tap the receiver, via gunsmith. This gun is in really good condition for its age. FFL i bought it from advised against D&T and leave it with iron sights to keep its original condition. I am fairly new to gun ownership (but have been shooting for over 15 years) so I wouldn't be phased by drilling holes in the receiver. My worry is that when I'm older and wiser, I will have regretted doing this.

Are these rifles really that valuable? Should I buy another semi and scope that one instead?
Old 04-21-2017, 5:08 AM
Veteran Member

CZ83...it the 550-1 is currently a stock gun (without modification)I would leave it as the Remington gods intended it. They haven't been made in 47 years. There are plenty of cheap modern guns that come scope ready. But that's me...your gun, you do what suits your fancy....enjoy your new toys!
Old 04-21-2017, 7:17 AM

I think you're right. It'll give me an excuse to get another
Old 04-21-2017, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ83surplusidk View Post
One more quick question if y'all got the time...

For the Remington 550-1, it was made somewhere in the 50's-70's (i'll know exactly once I have it). It has grooves for a tip off mount, but if I were to mount a scope, I would prefer to drill and tap the receiver, via gunsmith. This gun is in really good condition for its age. FFL i bought it from advised against D&T and leave it with iron sights to keep its original condition. I am fairly new to gun ownership (but have been shooting for over 15 years) so I wouldn't be phased by drilling holes in the receiver. My worry is that when I'm older and wiser, I will have regretted doing this.

Are these rifles really that valuable? Should I buy another semi and scope that one instead?
For guns that aren't made anymore....keep it stock. As somebody else here said, plenty of affordable modern options that come D&Td from the factory
Old 04-22-2017, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
For guns that aren't made anymore....keep it stock. As somebody else here said, plenty of affordable modern options that come D&Td from the factory
Do not refinish or D&T either gun. They constantly go up in value if they remain in original condition. If you want another feature or finish, get another gun.
Old 04-25-2017, 1:32 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

The last Romanian Training rifle I bought was $125 and that was a couple years ago , it did have some ammo and a cheap gun case but I would have given that for just the rifle.
I recently sold my dedicated 22lr G'hog gun and while awaiting to get my "latest" G'hog sighted in , I needed to grab the trainer and punch a G'hog with it at 25yds using the federal auto match I have for it.
I can flip up the 50yd sight and it's dead on at 9 yds with the Aguila no gun powder loads.
The mags I have for it are after market and I had to do a little work to make sure they ger clipped in good and they been fine ever since.

I do have 2 10-22's but who doesn't? not much to say about them they are 10-22's a 40th and a 50th anniversary edition ..... and no I didn't buy them for that reason ... it just happened that way