Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-20-2017, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Combat View Post
There should be not be an exception allowing LEOs to personally own off roster guns. If, for some reason, they need to use off roster guns for work, their department should provide them. This just goes to show that our California government is controlled by public-sector unions, especially law enforcement and firefighter unions. Ironically, California LEOs are the biggest cowards and crybabies on the the planet. Just look at how they behaved during the LA riots back in 1992.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was there and the only thing I saw was a bunch of LEOs and FFs from all across the state comport themselves with professionalism, respect for property, and going out of their way to help their fellow citizens.

I have to wonder if you were even there, or are you just jawboning about what you saw on TV from the comfort of your easy chair?
Old 04-20-2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
There should be not be an exception allowing LEOs to personally own off roster guns. If, for some reason, they need to use off roster guns for work, their department should provide them. This just goes to show that our California government is controlled by public-sector unions, especially law enforcement and firefighter unions. Ironically, California LEOs are the biggest cowards and crybabies on the the planet. Just look at how they behaved during the LA riots back in 1992.

OK, keyboard commando.
Old 04-21-2017, 4:38 AM
Calguns Addict

I was active duty military assigned in SoCal when the 92 riots happened. There were lots of areas being vandalized and looted for several hours that did not get any law enforcement response. Many people were left to fend for them selves. There just wasn't enough LEOs to cover the affected areas. Some areas were real danger if one was Asian. There was an on scene news reporter wondering where law enforcement was. My relatives said they called 911 so many times to report gun fire where they live but never got a hold of live 911 operator. I'm not bashing our LEOs for when large proportion of lawlessness happens there is not enough police to go around. It takes time for the National Guard to mobilize. The best thing you can do as an armed law abiding citizen is hold your grounds and team up with other law abiding armed citizens.

I agree LEOs shouldn't be higher class citizens with privileges of buying off roster handguns for personal use. The law says no more than 5 transactions of handgun sales per year for everyone. The law does not say you can't sell for profit. The law doesn't say you can't sell a gun that wasn't fired. If an LEO contacts an OP of WTB off roster handgun and makes a deal with him of a sale of such off roster handgun 30+ days later, that officer just broke the law. The handgun roster created this problem! It's time to get rid of the roster!
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine

Last edited by JTROKS; 04-21-2017 at 4:54 AM..
Old 04-21-2017, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
I was active duty military assigned in SoCal when the 92 riots happened. There were lots of areas being vandalized and looted for several hours that did not get any law enforcement response. Many people were left to fend for them selves. There just wasn't enough LEOs to cover the affected areas. Some areas were real danger if one was Asian. There was an on scene news reporter wondering where law enforcement was. My relatives said they called 911 so many times to report gun fire where they live but never got a hold of live 911 operator. I'm not bashing our LEOs for when large proportion of lawlessness happens there is not enough police to go around. It takes time for the National Guard to mobilize. The best thing you can do as an armed law abiding citizen is hold your grounds and team up with other law abiding armed citizens.

I agree LEOs shouldn't be higher class citizens with privileges of buying off roster handguns for personal use. The law says no more than 5 transactions of handgun sales per year for everyone. The law does not say you can't sell for profit. The law doesn't say you can't sell a gun that wasn't fired. If an LEO contacts an OP of WTB off roster handgun and makes a deal with him of a sale of such off roster handgun 30+ days later, that officer just broke the law. The handgun roster created this problem! It's time to get rid of the roster!
I think most cops would agree that the rosters is stupid and is nothing more than a political stunt for liberals, who know nothing about guns, to look tough on gun control. At the same time I certainly take advantage of my exemption and buy off roster just like I buy "hi cap" mags. I buy them for me though.

I don't think the ATF will be coming after us for trading a half dozen guns, even for profit. Not saying it's right, and I certainly don't agree with it, but the ATF is more looking for the bigger fish to fry. At least that's the impression I got when I read the letter they put out.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Holy heck... Did you just watch the LA Riots 25 years later documentaries and get all emotional?

So much bias in those.

Support Fallen Law Enforcement: The Fallen Project

WTB Thread FS/T Thread

Sig 556 Swiss SANS | Sig 516 Featureless | CA M&P Shield Mods | Sig P224/P227 Grips | Alien Gear 3.0

Old 04-21-2017, 11:30 AM

ATF is mostly looking at the officers who buy large numbers of off roster guns and then resells them..almost immediately..
DROS will show the dates..

Some departments won't issue the waiver letters and some hand them out like candy..

ATF is looking for the unlicensed gun dealer/police/sheriff that is making a tidy sum in the reselling of off roster guns..

The sales still go through DROS so the reports you hear of guns showing up at crime scenes is because of guns being brought in and someone who passed the DROS giving them away for cash..
Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue187 View Post
ATF is mostly looking at the officers who buy large numbers of off roster guns and then resells them..almost immediately..
DROS will show the dates..

Some departments won't issue the waiver letters and some hand them out like candy..

ATF is looking for the unlicensed gun dealer/police/sheriff that is making a tidy sum in the reselling of off roster guns..

The sales still go through DROS so the reports you hear of guns showing up at crime scenes is because of guns being brought in and someone who passed the DROS giving them away for cash..
That shouldn't be faulted on the seller via CA DOJ directed transfer via FFL to individuals that checked out.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 04-22-2017, 7:16 PM

Easy answer for this supposed "problem" is for LEO's to not sell off roster handguns in Cali. I have no problem with that, as I do not want to try to usurp Cali law and flood the market with so-called "unsafe" handguns, outside of LEO hands. FYI, I've never sold a firearm for profit, or otherwise. LEO's should not be profiting from these exempted purchases, neither should those who obtained them via surreptitious methods (SSE) and/or relative "gifting". Follow the law folks, no matter how much you disagree with it.

Last edited by roostersgt; 04-22-2017 at 9:18 PM..
Old 04-23-2017, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
Easy answer for this supposed "problem" is for LEO's to not sell off roster handguns in Cali. I have no problem with that, as I do not want to try to usurp Cali law and flood the market with so-called "unsafe" handguns, outside of LEO hands. FYI, I've never sold a firearm for profit, or otherwise. LEO's should not be profiting from these exempted purchases, neither should those who obtained them via surreptitious methods (SSE) and/or relative "gifting". Follow the law folks, no matter how much you disagree with it.
This answer clearly doesn't solve the problem that we are all cry babies and cowards though. Apparently that's acceptable rhetoric in the LEO forum now.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:12 PM
In a state of flux
CGN Contributor

Apparently in September of 2016, courtesy of AB 2165 (Bonta)... PC 32000 was changed. Peace Officers in quite a few agencies are no longer allowed to sell off roster handguns which were purchased with their LE creditials to non-peace officers. See below.

(a) A person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends an unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.

(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:

(1) The manufacture in this state, or importation into this state, of a prototype handgun when the manufacture or importation is for the sole purpose of allowing an independent laboratory certified by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 32010 to conduct an independent test to determine whether that handgun is prohibited by Sections 31900 to 32110, inclusive, and, if not, allowing the department to add the firearm to the roster of handguns that may be sold in this state pursuant to Section 32015.

(2) The importation or lending of a handgun by employees or authorized agents of entities determining whether the weapon is prohibited by this section.

(3) Firearms listed as curios or relics, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

(4) The sale or purchase of a handgun, if the handgun is sold to, or purchased by, the Department of Justice, a police department, a sheriff’s official, a marshal’s office, the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, the Department of the California Highway Patrol, any district attorney’s office, any federal law enforcement agency, or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties. This section does not prohibit the sale to, or purchase by, sworn members of these agencies of a handgun.

(5) The sale, purchase, or delivery of a handgun, if the sale, purchase, or delivery of the handgun is made pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 10334 of the Public Contract Code.

(6) Subject to the limitations set forth in subdivision (c), the sale or purchase of a handgun, if the handgun is sold to, or purchased by, any of the following entities or sworn members of these entities who have satisfactorily completed the firearms portion of a training course prescribed by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training pursuant to Section 832:

(A) The Department of Parks and Recreation.

(B) The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

(C) The Division of Investigation of the Department of Consumer Affairs.

(D) The Department of Motor Vehicles.

(E) The Fraud Division of the Department of Insurance.

(F) The State Department of State Hospitals.

(G) The Department of Fish and Wildlife.

(H) The State Department of Developmental Services.

(I) The Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

(J) A county probation department.

(K) The Los Angeles World Airports, as defined in Section 830.15.

(L) A K–12 public school district for use by a school police officer, as described in Section 830.32.

(M) A municipal water district for use by a park ranger, as described in Section 830.34.

(N) A county for use by a welfare fraud investigator or inspector, as described in Section 830.35.

(O) A county for use by the coroner or the deputy coroner, as described in Section 830.35.

(P) The Supreme Court and the courts of appeal for use by marshals of the Supreme Court and bailiffs of the courts of appeal, and coordinators of security for the judicial branch, as described in Section 830.36.

(Q) A fire department or fire protection agency of a county, city, city and county, district, or the state for use by either of the following:

(i) A member of an arson-investigating unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Section 830.37.

(ii) A member other than a member of an arson-investigating unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Section 830.37.

(R) The University of California Police Department, or the California State University Police Departments, as described in Section 830.2.

(S) A California Community College police department, as described in Section 830.32.

(c) (1) Notwithstanding Section 26825, a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not process the sale or transfer of an unsafe handgun between a person who has obtained an unsafe handgun pursuant to an exemption specified in paragraph (6) of subdivision (b) and a person who is not exempt from the requirements of this section.

Last edited by FCinCA; 04-26-2017 at 11:25 PM..