Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:14 AM

Thumbs up Ladies, what do you currently or plan to carry concealed?

I'm still waiting for approval, so still have some time to figure things out.

So far, I plan to carry the following because overall, size is comparable, I shoot all well, heard its best to have similar type (striker vs DA/SA, no external safety):

XDs 3.3 9m - Good fit in my hand, nice trigger, easy to shoot
Glock 43 - same as XDs, a bit smaller, light, I like the trigger
shield9 - my least favorite option, almost too narrow for hand, LCI blocks tricon night sights, everything is still stiff & tight 1000 rounds later. I don't really like the trigger, bites my finger. I do have an off roster shield9 with the apex trigger, it's a HUGE difference, super nice, but it's my understanding trigger jobs aren't allowed in California. But, I force myself to train with the shield, damn it, I will overcome!

I also have a glock 19 but it seems sooo big.

I haven't played a whole lot with holsters. I'm not interested in purse carry. I don't wear pants with belts except in firearm classes. I've trained with an OWB & IWB kidex holster, and I have a PT-2 pistol wear deep concealment holster...haven't used it much. Oh, I have a sticky holster. I tend to live in tights/yoga pants and jeans. I work from home so don't have to deal with office attire, thank god.

I guess the key to knowing what will really work, is to practice moving (sitting, walking, standing) & drawing from the holsters.

If you have a CCW, what do you carry & why? And how do you carry?
Old 09-29-2016, 8:04 AM

Like Bruce Jenner, I choose to identify as a woman today. My EDC is the Shield in 9mm, and I cannot even remotely share your assessment in any way.

I also carry an Airweight S&W J-frame (no external lock, 15oz.) and on rare occasions a Sig P238. The latter is a fantastic gun, but I'm still uneasy about the cocked and locked part of it. I prefer a smooth gun, and it doesn't get any smoother than a Centennial.
Old 10-06-2016, 8:39 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

I'm not Bruce Jenner but my wife and I will be carrying P239s. We'll apply for CCW next year and she already bought two P239

Hers are two P239s 9mm and mine are in .40 S&W.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

1Co 1: 18 "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******
Old 10-06-2016, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

My sister carrys a Shield and loves it.
My wife, like you, didn't like the grip on the Shield.
She preferred the grip on my M&P compact (double stack) and uses that for trainings which will not allow a sub compact. But primarily carries a KAHR PM-9 and rocks it so well I hate going to the range with her.

Haters got to hate. Winnin again. Go Trump

Why is it the guys who really know how to fix this country's problems spend all their time fixing old cars?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:48 AM

I carry a S&W Shield .40 Love it!
Old 10-12-2016, 10:52 AM

My wife has a Walther PPK and a G42. She loves both, she's better with the PPK but she's had a lot more practice with it.
Old 10-30-2016, 2:25 PM

I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 and a Shield 9. I'm not thrilled with the trigger on the Shield. I'm considering picking up a Sig 238, but with the freeze on modification appointments in Sac County I'm in no rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2016, 6:07 AM

I just joined the forum. Yay.

I'm looking at a Lady Smith, no hammer, and small enough for my hands.
Old 11-06-2016, 7:00 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

welcome and congrats!

which Lady Smith pistol?

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 11-06-2016, 8:41 AM
Voice of Reason
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySmithWesson View Post

I just joined the forum. Yay.

I'm looking at a Lady Smith, no hammer, and small enough for my hands.
Welcome aboard!

For smaller hands, definitely look at a Glock g42 or G43, or a Sig P238.

The Shield 9mm is also and excellent choice, given their ongoing trigger improvements.

Nothing wrong with a lady smith per se, but they are in my opinion a largely marketing device, like pink pistols.

My daughter hates pink pistols, and yet loves pink...

LTC's:

AZ, CA, FL, OR, UT, WA

Kindly Refrain From Raucous Laughter, Clinking of Glasses, and Celebratory Gunfire...
Old 11-06-2016, 8:49 AM
Calguns Addict

A lot of aftermarket sights are too low for the Shield and cause the LCI to block the sight picture. Seems to hard to find info on which are ok.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

please do not consider one of the light weight alloy frames.
a Lady Smith snubby will not be fun to practice with.
consider an all metal LS or other all metal J-frame pistol.

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 60 snubby all metal but it is not a Lady Smith. I went with it as it was just a hair heavier in weight than the LS which meant a bit more absorption of recoil.
fits my hand well as do all the J-frames.

I tried a light weight alloy j-frame and almost did not pick up another pistol.

if you haven't done so already make sure to visit gun stores to handle pistols.
I found though that what fit my hand in the gun shop wasn't always comfortable at the range.
so renting as many pistols as possible is also advised.

Smith and Wesson also made semi-auto Lady Smith and you might find one of those for sale by a private party.

more re LS pistols and J-frames: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_...sson_Ladysmith

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 11-26-2016, 4:37 PM

I'm coming late to this party, but for what it's worth:

You should carry the gun that you feel is most likely to save your life. You should carry the gun that you are most accurate with. You should carry the gun that makes you say, "God, I love this gun", every time you shoot at the range.

That said, regarding concealment. It's a tricky problem for women, just because we tend to curve out where men curve in and where they tend to hide a gun. I struggled for a long time and finally settled on inside waistband, right, appendix. Because I have an actual figure, can't do hip carry. And I'm older than dirt and can't reach around behind my back anymore. And I wouldn't carry a gun anywhere near my heart for any reason.

For a light-ish gun, you don't have to have a full-on gunbelt. Any decent leather belt will hold a holster inside your jeans and the gun won't fall out. The Boot Barn in Rancho Cordova sells a nice plain leather jeans belt, Justin 232, in all sizes, black or brown. I live in jeans and have both colors of this Justin. Felt pretty stiff at first, but like all leather, conforms to your body over time.

If you can figure out how to conceal a gun in yoga pants, which are MEANT to be revealing, please tell us how. Possibly an ankle holster? My suggestion would be to open carry around the house in yoga pants, if you feel you must, and then swap out to jeans when you go out.

I wasn't able to solve the CCW in unbelted shorts for summertime at all, so went to purse carry for that situation. Roma makes a nice cross body leather handbag designed for carry, with a steel cable concealed in the strap. No one's going to cut that baby off your body, so it makes a great bag for the mall or anywhere you might get purse-snatched, regardless of carry. And it has zipper locks for the compartments.

So, if it's coming up for you that CCW for women is full of compromises, you're right. Can't help it, it's just so.

One of our friends here on the Women's Forum is GrantAR2. He has a business in SoCal called PackinFurDefense and is a great resource for women's carry, since that's his core product. You can PM him here on Calguns and he'll get into the details with you. He's a good guy that way.

And last, with a tip of the hat and a giggle for ElDub1950, another friend of ours, this anecdote.

When I was getting set to get my CCW, I asked my bestie, ElDub, about holsters and which one was the right one. He started to grin and said "You think you're going to only have ONE ?". I said "Sure, I don't want to spend a million dollars on this". ElDub is trying to keep from busting up entirely, and said "Bonnie, everyone I know has a BOX full of holsters. You can't rent them, they won't let you try them out in the store, you just gotta try them out". And crikey, he was right.

And the most expensive one I own is the one I like least. I like the Fobus Roto Kydex, Eldub likes N82 Tactical

I have suggested holster swaps when people are meeting up to shoot. If we get together some time, I'll bring my box of holsters, and borrow ElDub's cast-offs, and we can see what works.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 11-26-2016 at 4:46 PM..
Old 11-26-2016, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
I....
You should carry the gun that you feel is most likely to save your life. You should carry the gun that you are most accurate with. You should carry the gun that makes you say, "God, I love this gun", every time you shoot at the range.

So you're carrying that nice Desert Eagle nowadays??

It's what you shoot best and you light up every time you take it out!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:57 AM

If I could figure out how to conceal that Deagle, I WOULD carry it. But I would have to use a rolling carry-on bag to hide it in ....
Old 11-28-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
A lot of aftermarket sights are too low for the Shield and cause the LCI to block the sight picture. Seems to hard to find info on which are ok.
Which sights would you suggest to avoid this problem?

Quote:

That is not the case with my shield.
When I first got it, I had to force myself to shoot it. And I took it with me to every class. But now it's been getting lonely as I explore other more fun guns, like the CZ line.

Quote:
One of our friends here on the Women's Forum is GrantAR2. He has a business in SoCal called PackinFurDefense and is a great resource for women's carry, since that's his core product. You can PM him here on Calguns and he'll get into the details with you. He's a good guy that way.
On my to do list to call. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
I have suggested holster swaps when people are meeting up to shoot. If we get together some time, I'll bring my box of holsters, and borrow ElDub's cast-offs, and we can see what works.
Great idea.
I've got a bunch I dont even use that have come with my PPT purchases.

Trying out/buying multiple holsters is pretty much what I hear from everyone. I don't think there is any way around it.
I dont wear belts, at all, so I'm looking for other options. I'm not so thrilled with the Pistol Wear PT-2 concealment holste since I started wearing it, the issue being the back strap is fairly narrow so it tends to roll. I've been looking at the corset holsters here https://deneadams.com/ or the can can holsters, the only problem I see, like the PT-2, is that the pouch/pocket is kind a high on the corset holster. I have an issue with my right shoulder so a lower draw with a more natural movement would be better for me.

Last edited by californiagal; 11-29-2016 at 12:11 AM..
Old 11-29-2016, 5:59 PM

For what it's worth, small light guns KICK.

If you have small hands, what you want is a narrow GRIP, not a small gun. Not the same at all.
Old 12-03-2016, 8:36 AM

I carry a Shield 9mm and Glock 42. I like The Well Armed Woman IWB holsters and Stealthgear holsters.
Old 12-03-2016, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Wife is not a forum poster, so I will interject for her.

She like's most guns, that said, she's chosen & very much enjoys her EMP 9mm.

What is interesting about this firearm is it's intimidation factor, (unlike my J-Frame) she may one day (hope not) have to deploy this,, & just that little intimidation factor could quite possibly deter the perp, to abandon the act he was thinking of before she needs to actually take that life changing action.

But she is not scared to take said action, in fact she is in the process of learning to do this through her purse if need be.

We have other (older) CCW units for this
Old 12-03-2016, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiagal View Post
I dont wear belts, at all, so I'm looking for other options.
Talk to GrantAR. He has a Kydex holster designed specifically for ladies to wear without a belt that clips right on your pants. I bought one for my wife's KAHR PM9 and she loves it. For her bday she wants another one for her P380. She thinks that might solve the yoga pants issue with a cover shirt.

Haters got to hate. Winnin again. Go Trump

Why is it the guys who really know how to fix this country's problems spend all their time fixing old cars?
Old 12-06-2016, 8:16 PM

I carry a Colt Defender 45acp or a commander size Dan Wesson. I have a crossbreed supertuck that is pretty nice of you wear a high rise pant/jean, no belt needed imo. I recently got a big Shebang corsette holster that is very comfortable, but I did purchase an aftermarket kydex trigger guard because it seemed a bit too easy to feel the trigger through the material.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:32 AM

Hello,
New here and I saw this, so I thought I would opine.
I have two weapons listed on my CCW. My Glock 27 in .40 cal and my Kimber Ultra Carry in .45 cal.
For my taste, its the Kimber all the way. She is a great little hand canon and packs a powrful punch with only little recoil.
Old 01-01-2017, 5:35 PM

I carry my Shield 9mm or Glock 42.
Old 01-01-2017, 5:52 PM

Depending on the season and the attire, my wife will go with either the Glock 42 or Ruger LCP. She's tried my Sig P938, but prefers striker fire for EDC.
Old 01-01-2017, 6:13 PM

Love my Ruger LCP and will not carry anthing not pocket carry because its so cofy
Old 03-03-2017, 9:31 AM

I got the S&W 442 and the M&P Shield with the intention to train for concealed carry. The 442 is a damn hand cannon and the trigger on the Shield is bothersome. I want to add night sites and change the trigger on the Shield. The 442 may be a BUG or just for fun on the range. My cowboy .357 6 shooter is easier to shoot accurately than the S&W!

As a holster, I got the Can-Can Hip Hugger. It has multiple pockets for firearms, magazines, a phone, etc. I wear appendix, but you can wear kidney as well. I've met women who wear their Can-Can over their yoga pants, they seem to like it.

I dress modestly and don't wear pants, and most of my skirts are maxi skirts, so I don't really have the option for a belted holster.
Old 03-23-2017, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
I'm not Bruce Jenner but my wife and I will be carrying P239s. We'll apply for CCW next year and she already bought two P239

About a year ago, my physician, a woman, went off on Caitlyn Jenner. She thinks he's a whack job. I think there is a tinge of mental illness with gender conflict.

Your choice of handguns is a clear indication of extremely sound mind, refined analytical ability, rarefied and elevated critical thinking skills, and exquisite aesthetic appreciation. You've scored highest possible points on my highly subjective expert self-defense handgun buyer assessment.

Shooters who buy large calibers in small packages usually wind up selling them. Even a 9MM in a 16 ounce handgun is difficult to control. The idea is to keep a gun's muzzle on target after firing. It does no one any good for a muzzle to point at clouds after firing. Try firing the FBI load in a 2" Model 60. It ain't fun. I would never even consider firing a .357 Mag round out of a 2" "J" Frame.

The P239 is on the heavy side for a reason: ballast facilitates easy control of the weapon. And in the right holster and belt combo, it's a breeze to carry all day.

Oh yeah, the P239 is of flawless operation, and far more accurate than one could reasonably expect from a self-defense handgun.

Last edited by Socratic; 03-23-2017 at 6:45 AM..
Old 03-23-2017, 6:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiagal View Post
shield9 - my least favorite option, almost too narrow for hand, LCI blocks tricon night sights, everything is still stiff & tight 1000 rounds later. I don't really like the trigger, bites my finger. I do have an off roster shield9 with the apex trigger, it's a HUGE difference, super nice, but it's my understanding trigger jobs aren't allowed in California. But, I force myself to train with the shield, damn it, I will overcome!
i realize this is the ladies forum but wanted to speak on this issue anyway.

trigger jobs are 100% ok in CA if they are ok in the permitting county.

if you shoot at SGC, we can meet up and you can shoot my glock 26. i just got my gal a 19 for her bday and that will be her CCW. btw, it does have a mcnally carry trigger installed.

Last edited by NYT; 04-07-2017 at 10:13 AM..
Old 03-27-2017, 8:29 PM

I carry a Glock 42. Every once in a while, I'll carry my Glock 19. Both ride IWB in a belly band.
Old 04-07-2017, 9:41 AM

I carry a S&W shield 9 I love it. I didn't like the grip on it so I added a talon grip to it and works out perfectly much more comfortable to hold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 9:08 PM

Hi!

I'm new to calguns. I just put in my app for my ccw...and my appointment is at the end of 8/2017 . I plan on carrying 9mm m&p shield. I'm smaller, 4'9" and I have 7 year old hands...and this fits perfectly in my hand. I have glock 17, but I carry that at home and stays by my bed at night. I'm thinking about picking up a glock 19 next.
Old 04-19-2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbwondertwin View Post
plan on carrying 9mm m&p shield. I'm smaller, 4'9" and I have 7 year old hands...and this fits perfectly in my hand. I have glock 17, but I carry that at home and stays by my bed at night. I'm thinking about picking up a glock 19 next.
You can never have too many!
Old 04-20-2017, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post

According to my female physician, Caitlyn Jenner is whack job in dire need of psychiatric treatment.

I'm going with Sig P239. Mine's in .40 S&W. A flawless weapon if one ever existed.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=Socratic;19989279] According to my female physician, Caitlyn Jenner is whack job in dire need of psychiatric treatment.

Off topic. Take it to OT, Socratic.
Old 04-20-2017, 6:42 PM

BadKitty, can't agree more. I just went to the range and tested out p229 elite . I love it!!