Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-18-2018, 1:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchang1201 View Post
I doubt that's the case and especially so in countries with good and modern medical infrastructures. Ebola is actually hard to catch since it's only contagious via bodily fluid and really only infectious when symptoms are showing. And once symptoms show the carrier is incapacitated rather quickly. It's a big problem in Africa because of poor or non-existent medical care, a mistrust of doctors, and a tradition of touching the dead. The medical care is so bad in Uganda that the Peace Corp flies their volunteers to South Africa if any medical treatment is needed and tells them never to use local hospitals unless death is the only other alternative.

Of course this is just my opinion based on what I've read so take it for what you will.
And exactly how many cities or countries in Africa have anything approaching modern medical infrastructure? Sorry but as soon as Brazzaville or Nairobi go hot, people will flee and spread the virus worldwide unless strict/harsh quarantine measures are put in place.
Old 05-18-2018, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

West Africa is a gigantic petri dish.
There are people there still rubbing sticks together to make fire. 3rd & 4th world tech. Volunteers to help them? Yes.
Bring them here for treatments? No.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-18-2018, 2:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Seal the borders and let evolution take it's course.
Old 05-18-2018, 2:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Bring them here for treatments? No.
No just no, but Hellz No

Just because we have an ebola vaccine means nothing
the virus could mutate and the vaccine might be useless

You don't tug on Superman's cape
Old 05-19-2018, 4:34 PM

Watched a couple interesting documentaries on Africa.
As many of us already know, Africa is resource rich in Gold/Diamonds/oil and so many other things.
The documentary showed foreigners (legally/illegally) overseeing the various operations to extract said resources, and of course these same folks amd others (missionaries, travelers) will return to home countries.
What is my point? They may already be bringing back Ebola and quarantine will have little impact or be too late.
I am fairly confident that our "frenemies" <--(as H.S. kids like to call them), are also looking at using Ebola as a weapon against us.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenson View Post
What is my point? They may already be bringing back Ebola and quarantine will have little impact or be too late.
I am fairly confident that our "frenemies" <--(as H.S. kids like to call them), are also looking at using Ebola as a weapon against us.
It's a very slight risk, and each day proves it is less of a risk -- ebola symptoms would have manifested between 2-21 days, and you're not infectious until those symptoms manifest.

As for weaponized ebola, um, no. Such an act would be treated as WMD, and the retaliation would be, well, look at 9/11. It's also a stupid choice to weaponize, because it's not airborne. The amount of genetic engineering to make it airborne greatly reduces the number of actors who can pull off such a feat and is a huge waste of resources -- there are already extant weaponized biological agents, so you'd just choose one of those.
Old 05-23-2018, 9:55 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Three Ebola Patients Have Fled Quarantine in Congo, Sparking Fears The Disease Will .

https://www.sciencealert.com/three-e...s&limitstart=1

Quote:
Health officials in Congo are anxious to contain the country's deadly Ebola outbreak - which has already spread to an urban area - before the situation gets any worse. But controlling the virus may have just gotten tougher.

On Wednesday, the Doctors Without Borders mission in the Congolese city of Mbandaka announced that three Ebola patients there had left a hospital isolation ward and reentered the general population.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-24-2018, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

^^... and that's how zombies are made... 28 days and counting.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-24-2018, 7:43 PM

Patients leaving medical treatment in Africa has not been an uncommon occurrence in past ebola outbreaks.
Old 08-15-2018, 2:41 PM
Administrator

New article from MedPage - https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti...se/ebola/74562 (May require registration, but it's free; I registered so long ago I forgot my password and had to reset it today)

Quote:
The Ebola outbreak in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has now surpassed the country's outbreak earlier in the year, and officials from the World Health Organization (WHO) said they are are "even more worried" after visiting the affected communities.

At a press briefing at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, PhD, said that as of yesterday, there are now 57 cases, including 30 confirmed, and there have been 41 deaths -- surpassing the 53 cases and 29 deaths in the prior outbreak.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Administrator

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=57482984
Quote:
A fast-growing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo could become "the worst ever seen in East Africa," a humanitarian aid group warned Wednesday, after the deadly virus spread to an area surrounded by armed militants.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Administrator

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1M11WC

Quote:
Democratic Republic of Congo has confirmed a case of Ebola on its border with Uganda, a country so far clear of the deadly virus, authorities in Congo said on Friday.
Also https://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/a...218854745.html
- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by Librarian; 09-22-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Old 09-22-2018, 7:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If it’s not one thing it’s another...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-15-2018, 6:34 PM
Administrator

Default Darn bug won't go away ...

Quote:
As of Sunday, 135 people have died in the outbreak that began Aug. 1. Thirty-nine of those cases were confirmed between Oct. 1 and Oct. 11.
WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told the UN Security Council two weeks ago that the risk of regional spread had been upgraded to "very high," and he was "very concerned about the potential for the virus to spread into Uganda, but also into Rwanda, South Sudan and Burundi."
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...bola-outbreak/
- Thomas Sowell

Old 11-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Default Still going on ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congo-app...--finance.html

At the end of the article:
Quote:
Despite the use of the treatments as well as an experimental vaccine manufactured by Merck, authorities have struggled to contain the outbreak due to widespread militia violence in eastern Congo and community resistance to health workers.

At least 228 people are believed to have died, and the World Health Organization said last week that it expects the outbreak to last at least another six months.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 11-28-2018, 4:50 PM

I can't recall if I already mentioned this; I highly recommend the book "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston, about the beginnings of the ebola virus; terrifying.
Another of Preston's books; "The Demon in the Freezer", about infectious diseases and smallpox in particular; also terrifying.
Old 12-07-2018, 5:32 PM
Administrator

Default Butembo, Congo, reports ebola cases

https://nypost.com/2018/12/07/second...or-congo-city/

Quote:
Butembo, with more than 1 million residents, is now reporting cases of the deadly hemorrhagic fever. That complicates Ebola containment work already challenged by rebel attacks elsewhere that have made tracking the virus almost impossible in some isolated villages.
The outbreak declared on Aug. 1 is now second only to the devastating West Africa outbreak that killed more than 11,300 people a few years ago. There are currently 471 Ebola cases, of which 423 are confirmed, including 225 confirmed deaths, Congo’s health ministry said late Thursday.
- Thomas Sowell