Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

View Poll Results: Best on roster "budget" handgun for SHTF
S&W M&P Shield 20 25.97%
S&W SD9VE 15 19.48%
XD9 22 28.57%
RIA MAPP 3 3.90%
Kahr CW9 10 12.99%
S&W M442, M637-2, M638, M642-2, Bodyguard 12 15.58%
EAA Windicator 4 5.19%
Taurus 605 4 5.19%
Charter Arms Undercover 3 3.90%
RIA M206 4 5.19%
Other 13 16.88%
A big slab of BACON is all you need to defend yourself 18 23.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2018, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

I have a 442 without the internal lock. It’s a great gun. it’s in a Grab n go case. Something like the disaster ready kit. I have used it as a hiking sidearm to rattlesnake control. Would still take a XD over S&W sd9ve. You want something light weight then shield or 442/642/638 is the way to go
Glock 23 with Buffalo Bore on the hip.
Old 08-14-2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
I think you are completely making up the whole "junk gun" thing on your own. I thought I was pretty clear in the original post what the requirements were, i.e. reliable and accurate enough to hit a target at 10ft or less. I dont need a pistol to do the job of a battle rifle, which it cant. And I dont need something that will last 100K rounds of +P+ torture testing. Just an on roster, affordable, reliable, somewhat compact HANDGUN, in .38, 9mm, .40 or .45.

I wouldn't consider an SD9VE or an M&P shield a "junk gun". Maybe the Hipoint, but I've never owned one and everybody that does have one, swears they are just as reliable as Glocks.

This exercise is about handguns. I already have the SHTF longgun situation figured out. Dont need any input on that, thanks.

Just to reiterate I never said anything about wanting a "junk gun" to rely on in SHTF. That was not the purpose of this thread. If it is your opinion that all of the guns that have been mentioned are "junk guns", then so be it. Obviously I have nothing to do with the reasoning of your opinion.
IMO there are too many reliable used firearms out there to consider some of what you've mentioned, but you rock on with your bad self and hope we never need to find out the consequences of saving a hundred bucks for something your life depends on.
Old 08-14-2018, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
IMO there are too many reliable used firearms out there to consider some of what you've mentioned, but you rock on with your bad self and hope we never need to find out the consequences of saving a hundred bucks for something your life depends on.
Hey, start another thread to discuss used guns and or "junk guns". Debating about how much you should spend on a gun or saving a few hundred bucks is beating a dead horse. You will never get any kind of concensus on that.

I started this thread to discuss ON ROSTER HANDGUNS for SHTF. Not used guns. Not "junk guns". Not that a longgun is better than a handgun. Not how much you should spend on a gun. Not any of that. You know why? Because those topics will all devolve into pissing contests.

Please start your own thread if thats what you want to discuss. That is not the purpose of this thread and I dont want it to be derailed. Thank you.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 08-14-2018, 8:09 PM

Seems like you might benefit from following your own disclaimer.

Nobody is trying to piss on your campfire, but the XD is priced well beyond your set limits (cheap), and the SD9VE is the only option that is remotely suited to SHTF. Nobody I know wants to have a revolver (I have many) for SHTF. Possibly more realistic options would have resulted in fewer derailments, but it's your thread.

Last edited by chsk9; 08-15-2018 at 7:25 AM..
Old 08-14-2018, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Seems like you might benefit from following your own disclaimer.

Nobody is trying to piss in your campfire, but the XD is priced well beyond your set limits (cheap), and the SD9VE is the only option that is remotely suited to SHTF. Nobody I know wants to have a revolver (I have many) for SHTF. Possibly more realistic options would have resulted in fewer derailments, but it's your thread.
Cool story.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 08-18-2018, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hi point 9 all day long. Next is a raven .25.

Lol

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 08-20-2018, 4:15 PM

I see really cheap XD9s, XD40s, and XD45s in the market place all the time. I cant say enough good things about mine- Its easy to handle, has been 100% reliable through a bunch of cheap ammo and hollow points, and I think it looks pretty cool too. It lives in my BOB with 6 mags full of Federal HSTs. I have a good IWB holster for it and it rides pretty comfortably if I had to conceal it in an emergency.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Whatever is cheap in 9 mm Luger
Old 08-22-2018, 5:33 PM

SW9VE
Bersa Firestorm
Charter Bulldog
RIA GI 1911
Taurus 605
Heritage Rough Rider
Uberti Cattleman

Look, in a SHTF blah blah whatever situation, handguns are going to be used as deterrent to two-legged predators. Most likely, a drawn out running gun battle isn’t going to happen. Whatever can be called upon in short notice and be reliable and effective to get you to a more secure situation/location is the goal. Loads of ammo aren’t necessary, just simplicity and availability.
Old 08-22-2018, 5:59 PM

S&W ether one.....
Old 08-22-2018, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

my vote is for the MP shield, then the XD I really hate the XD but for under $400 its hard to beat.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 08-22-2018, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post

Look, in a SHTF blah blah whatever situation, handguns are going to be used as deterrent to two-legged predators. Most likely, a drawn out running gun battle isn’t going to happen. Whatever can be called upon in short notice and be reliable and effective to get you to a more secure situation/location is the goal. Loads of ammo aren’t necessary, just simplicity and availability.
Exactly my thinking. This is not about what battlerifle I need if Im going to be fighting civil war II (everybody knows its an AR15 or AK, BTW). Getting into a gunbattle would probably be the quickest way to get killed when the objective is the exact opposite of that, stay alive as long as possible. The gun is to only be used as a last ditch survival tool to keep some scumbag with a switchblade from cutting my throat for my jacket or shoes or bottle of water.
Old 08-22-2018, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Kahr P40 $279 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...B1+40S%26W+3.6
Old 08-22-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Exactly my thinking. This is not about what battlerifle I need if Im going to be fighting civil war II (everybody knows its an AR15 or AK, BTW). Getting into a gunbattle would probably be the quickest way to get killed when the objective is the exact opposite of that, stay alive as long as possible. The gun is to only be used as a last ditch survival tool to keep some scumbag with a switchblade from cutting my throat for my jacket or shoes or bottle of water.
Maybe I misread something. The premise for this thread is obtaining 'cheap' pistols to stash for "Sh*t Hits The Fan" right? If "Sh*t" has hit the "Fan" then you have absolutely no way of determining the variables that will be encountered, only that they will be catastrophic and severe. Getting into a gun battle is not going to be a choice. It will be a sudden response to a deadly threat. I've seen a lot of police trade in glocks for 'cheap'!
Old 08-23-2018, 11:32 AM

it's not like having a wife or
girlfriend. get them all ?

Last edited by revo; 08-23-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Old 08-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo View Post
it's not like having a wife or
girlfriend. get them all ?
Until they find out about each other and you have neither minus a whole lotta cash.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Maybe I misread something. The premise for this thread is obtaining 'cheap' pistols to stash for "Sh*t Hits The Fan" right? If "Sh*t" has hit the "Fan" then you have absolutely no way of determining the variables that will be encountered, only that they will be catastrophic and severe. Getting into a gun battle is not going to be a choice. It will be a sudden response to a deadly threat. I've seen a lot of police trade in glocks for 'cheap'!
Obviously you arent going to be relying on a handgun in a gun battle. This SHTF scenario is for when walking around with a longgun and thousands of rounds of ammo would be highly impractical and attract undue attention. Basically a SHTF scenario where a concealed handgun is what is needed. Which would probably be the most likely scenario.
Old 08-26-2018, 8:16 AM

Back in the day....(don't I sound old), I'd buy a couple cheap Makarovs (or Tokarevs) in my car truck (along with a box of ammo and a cheap holster. They used to cost $150 ....they don't now...but anything similar in concept?

Remember a handgun is just something you use to obtain a carving or rifle.
Old 08-26-2018, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Another vote for the Kahr CW9.

My first choice from that list would be the CW9.

It's a $300 gun, reliable, and super light so you'll actually want to carry it.

The XD and SW9VE are bigger, better for house guns but I'd choose a G19 or that.

I like the CW9 and G19 for SHTF guns.

I'm also a huge fan of the LCRx3 and have it in 38 sp and 22 LR.

The LCRx3 38sp is the gun I carry most often, I take it backpacking, and on road trips.

I consider the LCRx3 22 lr the "trainer" version but I like that it doesn't use mags and can fire even the cheapest crap 22 lr ammo.

How many guns are we allowed, because I want several for this SHTF scenario!
Old 08-28-2018, 5:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
I don't see Ruger P89 or P95 on your list. If you come across them they're usually ~ $300 and will do the job.

Heavy, ugly as sin, but they work. Kinda like an upscale Hi-Point.
I have a P95 the gun I love to hate. I shot 4,000 rounds of my reloads Missouri bullets and winchester 231 powder. with just lube every 250 rounds with out a single failure. The pistol looked like the filthy 15 AR 15.
Old 08-28-2018, 5:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What??????No Hi Point 9mm in poll ????? Thats the gun thats all the rage for Oakland gang bangers.

Thread fail.

Old 08-29-2018, 5:26 PM

Simple answer, a Glock...
Old 08-29-2018, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

When SHTF your life may well depend on the quality of your tools. Why go cheap when do much is on the line?
Old 08-29-2018, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
When SHTF your life may well depend on the quality of your tools. Why go cheap when do much is on the line?
Start your own thread dude. This isnt it.
Old 08-29-2018, 8:52 PM

I have a S&W Sigma. Its OK. Definitely reliable. I got mine used but practically brand new for $300. I also have a Shield.

But in my bug out bag I have a Beretta M9. On roster, $500 onsale brand new and is a machine.
Old 08-29-2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
My sentiments exactly, however this seems to be some kind of creepy fantasy thread where you have to defend your life with substandard weaponry. Then again some people think Hometown Buffet is good eats!
Old 08-30-2018, 6:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My sentiments exactly, however this seems to be some kind of creepy fantasy thread where you have to defend your life with substandard weaponry. Then again some people think Hometown Buffet is good eats!
Start your own thead instead of trying to derail this one.Your creepy attempts to try and instigate some kind of butthurt are pretty obvious.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 6:30 AM..
Old 08-30-2018, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

Not bad for cheapo pistol performance, essentially out of the box redneck gun test.

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-30-2018, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

...and just because I've got nothing to do at the moment I'll drop this one on you
...spoiler... there's more than 1 way to shoot a gun.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-30-2018, 9:29 AM

Default SHTF weapon

Quote:

I fully agree. The Kahr CW9 is my best answer to the question as you have phrased it. Very concealable which is a useful trait.

I have often considered the question in its broadest sense, however. Although I'm kind of a 1911 guy, my current answer without your restriction would be a Glock 9mm that I could use with a Ruger PC 9. A carbine seems to me as being somewhat of a force multiplier. Magazine compatibility would be a highly desirable factor if SHTF.
Old 08-30-2018, 9:32 AM

MAC said it best: "Will it go bang almost every time under perfect conditions? Yeah..." When S has hit the F it is not the time to run a gun that will go bang almost every time under perfect conditions.
It reminds me of a thread years ago by a guy who was a hundred pounds overweight and thought he was going to be able to pack a 80lb ruck plus his two children and effectively be able to defend them at the same time, but go upset when it was suggested he get into better shape.
I've see a lot of used police trade in Glocks, Sig and M&P for about 400, so there does seem to be a viable options beyond junk...errrr... cheap guns.
Old 08-30-2018, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

Under $200. and CA gov roster filtered... OP's criteria is narrow, but doable.
Now if a used Glock could be had for the same price? The OP wouldn't have posed the question IMO.
I'm just trying to play by his rules.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Under $200. and CA gov roster filtered... OP's criteria is narrow, but doable.
Now if a used Glock could be had for the same price? The OP wouldn't have posed the question IMO.
I'm just trying to play by his rules.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans

Its under $400 preferably around $200. See the first post:

"1. Cheap <$400 preferably around $200."

The purpose of this thread was not to discuss the inferiority of a gun based solely on price. Its just a very simple exercise. Debating how much someone should spend on a gun to stash for SHTF that they may never see or access ever because the situation may never arise, is a whole other can of worms. Maybe someone should start a different thread to discuss that topic? Or they should google search because I gaurantee its not the first time its been brought up and I further guarantee there will never be a concensus and it will quickly devolve into a simple pissing contest where members try to make eachother butthurt.

People have such fragile egos these days going around looking to start any little petty argument they can. Im not referring to you specifically just the other member that keeps trying so desperately to derail this thread. Thanks for understanding the intent and going along with the theme of this thread.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Old 08-30-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVOC5150 View Post
+1 for the agency trade in Glocks. They are run through before being sold, are generally in great condition and lots already have night sights. But like Deckhandmike said the 442 is a solid choice. The 442 is my 98% of the time carry gun, to the point I’m considering selling my Glock 43. I love those little 442’s.
My J frame is in my pocket at all times around the house as well. And hard to beat glocks for what this thread is about, both my G27s were acquired at the OP's $400 threshold.

-W
Old 08-30-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
MAC said it best: "Will it go bang almost every time under perfect conditions? Yeah..." When S has hit the F it is not the time to run a gun that will go bang almost every time under perfect conditions.
It reminds me of a thread years ago by a guy who was a hundred pounds overweight and thought he was going to be able to pack a 80lb ruck plus his two children and effectively be able to defend them at the same time, but go upset when it was suggested he get into better shape.
I've see a lot of used police trade in Glocks, Sig and M&P for about 400, so there does seem to be a viable options beyond junk...errrr... cheap guns.
Again, really really cool story. Maybe you should start another thread so you can argue with another troll?

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Old 08-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd say Glock too... but I have four of those on the list. In order I guess I'd take the XD, Shield, MAPP and 605 if I chose from my guns on the list... but Glock is #1 and it does qualify as a budget gun IMHO. P95DC would be up there with the XD too. I'm not a huge XD fan but they work. I like the MAPP but I have more rounds through the Shield and XD. Glocks are many levels above all of those IMHO. So is a PPQ and USP.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I'd say Glock too... but I have four of those on the list. In order I guess I'd take the XD, Shield, MAPP and 605 if I chose from my guns on the list... but Glock is #1 and it does qualify as a budget gun IMHO. P95DC would be up there with the XD too. I'm not a huge XD fan but they work. I like the MAPP but I have more rounds through the Shield and XD. Glocks are many levels above all of those IMHO. So is a PPQ and USP.
See the thing is i love shooting my Glocks. So there is no way in hell Im stashing them somewhere I can never use them. Remember the point of this exercise is to STASH a cheap gun (or as many as possible in multiple locations) for SHTF. That means its never going to be accessed unless its SHTF. Once its stashed it only comes out if the situation is so bad that it is the only option you have left. I.E all your Glocks, or whatever gun you prefer, have been confiscated by the Guvment or destroyed in a natural disaster (earthquake, wildfire, etc.). I sure as heck am not going to stash my PPQ either, I like shooting that one even more.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 1:49 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
See the thing is i love shooting my Glocks. So there is no way in hell Im stashing them somewhere I can never use them. Remember the point of this exercise is so STASH a cheap gun for SHTF. That means its never going to be accessed unless its SHTF. I sure as heck am not going to stash my PPQ either, I like shooting that one even more.
Well the XD9 Service would not be missed for sure I guess it would be XD and Taurus Millenium 9mm for me. I do have many G17's though.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why not a Black Powder pistol?

Old 08-30-2018, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Added a poll just for fun. Yes, I left the Hipoint off the poll on purpose just to vex all the guys who believe they are not only equal to Glock but actually "better" than Glock. Multiple choice choose, as many options as you want.
Quote:
See the thing is i love shooting my Glocks. So there is no way in hell Im stashing them somewhere I can never use them. Remember the point of this exercise is so STASH a cheap gun (or as many as possible in multiple locations) for SHTF. That means its never going to be accessed unless its SHTF. Once its stashed it only comes out if the situation is so bad that it is the only option you have left. I.E all your Glocks, or whatever gun you prefer, have been confiscated by the Guvment or destroyed in a natural disaster (earthquake, wildfire, etc.). I sure as heck am not going to stash my PPQ either, I like shooting that one even more.
That is why you should have put the Hi Point in the poll, because that is a scenario where the Hi Point is not only equal to Glock it is better, but I would stash a Glock for that purpose before I would a S&W Shield, S&W revolver, Kahr, Charter Arms, or Taurus revolver.