Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-31-2018, 2:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Auto survival pack for walking home from work

I've decided to revamp the pack in my wife's car. I have the usual supplies for survival, but that doesn't quite match reality and is a bit heavy. Wife works about 18 miles away. I don't anticipate her having to cut wood, light fires, etc. Possibilities include a fold-able walking stick, small knife, flashlight, some snack bars, water, emergency blanket.

What would you pack so the wife could walk home 18 miles if necessary?
Old 07-31-2018, 2:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
I've decided to revamp the pack in my wife's car. I have the usual supplies for survival, but that doesn't quite match reality and is a bit heavy. Wife works about 18 miles away. I don't anticipate her having to cut wood, light fires, etc. Possibilities include a fold-able walking stick, small knife, flashlight, some snack bars, water, emergency blanket.

Does she know the possible routes cold, even if she has to go around something like a downed bridge?

Some way to charge a cell phone.

GPS/paper map and the skills to read it.

Hand held HAM radio and a plan to talk on the top of the hour plus 3 or something, because the obvious times will be crowded.

Good heavy walking or hiking shoes and several pairs of socks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 07-31-2018, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...&highlight=ghb

etc...
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-31-2018, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Give her a skateboard lol
Old 07-31-2018, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

No, seriously one of those razor scooters make 18 miles a hell of a lot easier. Don’t forget some comfortable shoes.
Old 07-31-2018, 3:16 PM

I've had a small "get home" backpack in my girlfriends car for years. She usually wears a dress/high heels so, the bag includes comfortable and warm clothes (including walking shoes/socks), water, food (cliff bars), mace, emergency blanket, cash, flashlight and knife, car jump-start/phone charger (she made fun of me when I originally bought the jump starter for her but, she's had to use it a few times and now loves it). I also have a 2-way radio set to a channel matching the radio I have at home. We've agreed on the route she'll take home so, if SHTF, I backtrack her route with my radio on so we can find each other. I check/rotate/charge everything in January and again in June to make sure everything works/still fits
Old 07-31-2018, 3:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsandiego View Post
I've had a small "get home" backpack in my girlfriends car for years. She usually wears a dress/high heels so, the bag includes comfortable and warm clothes (including walking shoes/socks), water, food (cliff bars), mace, emergency blanket, cash, flashlight and knife, car jump-start/phone charger (she made fun of me when I originally bought the jump starter for her but, she's had to use it a few times and now loves it). I also have a 2-way radio set to a channel matching the radio I have at home. We've agreed on the route she'll take home so, if SHTF, I backtrack her route with my radio on so we can find each other. I check/rotate/charge everything in January and again in June to make sure everything works/still fits
^^^^^^^^ this
Old 07-31-2018, 3:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post

I would add one off those big wheel razor scooters if she thinks she would use it. 18 miles is a hard walk. I would drive it with her. Also if she has to buy a extra sandwich if she finds a store still open.
Old 07-31-2018, 3:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsandiego View Post
comfortable and warm clothes (including walking shoes/socks), water, food (cliff bars), mace, emergency blanket, cash, flashlight and knife, car jump-start/phone charger. I also have a 2-way radio.
Pretty good list. Is the radio like this?
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R...-5r&pldnSite=1
Old 07-31-2018, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

As I recall, OP you are in the San Diego East County area. My first priority would be to have sufficient bottled water, to hydrate before starting the walk and a number of 12 ounce bottles that she can discard as she is emptying the bottle. Food is not a priority. It takes water to digest food, but if hunger will be an issue then a food source would be helpful to keep her mind off being hungry.

Women almost never have the appropriate shoes to walk in, so a good pair of walking shoes and a couple pairs of padded socks. Depending on the season, a light windbreaker would keep someone walking warm even during the winter, and it can serve as a light rain coat. A pair of pants, in the event she is wearing a dress.

Knife, flashlight with extra batteries, map, cellphone charger to use in the vehicle before starting to walk, band aids, small first aid kit.

I also have created a written plan that is put in each car, so in the event of an emergency such as a fire, earthquake, riot, everyone will have a written plan to follow. My written plan has contingencies, in the event we are separated and how we are to work towards linking up. The contingencies cover situations when there is no communications, and the likely areas where each of us may be. As our habits change, we have a family discussion and amend the written plan.
Old 07-31-2018, 4:26 PM

Comfortable shoes/light boots, and medium duty hiking socks. Water. Pepper spray. TP or small Kleenex package. Cliff bars. Hat. Small flashlight with spare batteries. Map of the area.

Drive the route a few times. Plan the route to avoid freeways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-31-2018, 10:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

All good advice. It looks like simplicity wins in this scenario.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Walking 18 miles home is no joke, especially if you're not prepared for it. I keep a fanny pack and backpack and accompanying gear in the trunk. Along with tools to keep the bad things away.

Things to keep in the car:
Track suit (plain, minimal logos) and light raincoat/windbreaker
Scooter (Razor, big wheel, etc.)
small comfortable backpack with waist strap
medium weight gloves (leather)
beanie hat or baseball cap - no logos
extras socks, running shoes (not new, they should be broken-in)
headlamp with spare batteries
pepper spray (fogging or gel)
fixed blade knife
multi-tool (she should know how to use it, if not, leave it out)
first aid kit (should include insta-cold packs and alcohol - vodka - for disinfecting)
baby wipes or TP
water bottles (should fit in the backpack outer pocket/webbing)
energy bars/snacks/something to eat to make you feel better
maps of the surrounding area
at least one contractor garbage bag
some para-cord
duct-tape (make a small roll)
powerbank for charging the phone

I have a lot more in my Get Home bag but most of it isn't applicable.
Old 08-01-2018, 8:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Red or Blue removable filter for the flashlight, she does not want to broadcast her location, just see where she is going, strobe is nice also, if you make a radio contact, strobe can help you find her position.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 08-01-2018, 9:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Pulled the packs out of the cars, wow those things are heavy. Stuffed with all kinds of survival gear. I think I'll make a BOB with that stuff after I simplify things.
Old 08-01-2018, 9:22 AM

My pack:
120oz water
4 - 2000 calorie bars
2 lighters
Space blanket
Flashlight
Fixed blade knife
Jacket, hiking shoes, shorts, shirt
50rds ammo
CCW

My walk home in shtf from my office is 70mi and would take approx 15-20hrs
Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor

Couple things that are key in this area if you actually land in circumstances where walking 18 miles is the only option, N95 mask and some inexpensive goggles, like the Uvex Stealth type. Earthquake or fire being somewhat likely scenarios here, more than likely there'll be a lot of crap in the air, you want to be sure that won't be a problem.
Old 08-01-2018, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazineta View Post
Couple things that are key in this area if you actually land in circumstances where walking 18 miles is the only option, N95 mask and some inexpensive goggles, like the Uvex Stealth type. Earthquake or fire being somewhat likely scenarios here, more than likely there'll be a lot of crap in the air, you want to be sure that won't be a problem.
That's a good add-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Red or Blue removable filter for the flashlight, she does not want to broadcast her location, just see where she is going, strobe is nice also, if you make a radio contact, strobe can help you find her position.
I have a Headlamp from HomeDepot that has white, green, and red led.

Last edited by RogueSniper; 08-01-2018 at 1:28 PM..
Old 08-01-2018, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Does she know the possible routes cold, even if she has to go around something like a downed bridge?

Some way to charge a cell phone.

GPS/paper map and the skills to read it.

Hand held HAM radio and a plan to talk on the top of the hour plus 3 or something, because the obvious times will be crowded.

Good heavy walking or hiking shoes and several pairs of socks.
Bingo, wife needs a radio because I will need to be able to find her and some sensible shoes because those 4 inch spikes om her work shoes won't last long.
Change of clothes, warm blanket
High protein snacks, stable water and spare mags for her CCW.

My wife works about 30 miles away in the desert so we broke her route into 3 sections and designated a target location in each section so she has a reasonable goal and I have less places to look. She doesn't have to make it all the way home, she knows I'll come for her and where to wait for me. (I have the SUV with the Enduro on the back)

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 08-02-2018, 6:19 PM

Most important thing is water; I like having a camelback (hydration bladder) and keeping a couple gallons in the car or office to fill it with. Get a water filter (I like the Sawyer Mini) so she can add to the water as she travels. I also recommend a handheld HAM radio - not a must, but can be a reassurance for her and you. Legal defensive weapons are important too - self-defense key-chains (like a kubaton, or one of those that look like a cat's ears), pepper spray, and a taser (an actual name brand taser, not a cheap "stun gun") - I recommend all three. And of course as others have mentioned; hiking clothes, extra socks, & shoes/boots (include sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and make sure the clothing is seasonally appropriate). If you don't hike/run on a regular basis pack some moleskin . . . you'll need it.

The most important prep for this is . . . trial runs. Pick a day and have her walk home (you should meet her there and walk with her). I would try to do this once a month for 3 months, and then once every 2 or 3 months after that. Repetition will help her to know the route without thinking about it, you can identify shortcuts/alternate routes, she'll learn what the neighborhoods she'll have to walk through are like (I have done this with my girlfriend (only 8 miles) and after about 3 trips at different times we developed a direct daylight route and a different longer route for after dark that avoids some questionable neighborhoods).

Very optional, but for 18 miles a bicycle stored at work would be a godsend. If you can store a bike there, I would still do one trial run on foot but after that use the bikes. If storing a bike is impossible - is there a Walmart/Target/etc nearby? If so carry an extra $200 cash to buy a bike with.

This is clearly not a high priority, but if you have an old dual-sport motorcycle (I specify old because you can cheaply buy an extra battery & points in case an EMP/solar flare knock out all electronics) then she could call you on a HAM radio and you can go pick her up and bring her home. 18 miles is a 36 mile round trip . . . call it 40, most motorcycles get at least 30 MPG, so buy 2 gallons of that gas that comes in sealed metal containers and has stabil already in it, then you're ready on a moments notice.
Old 08-02-2018, 6:40 PM

My walk home from work could be 2,000 miles (OTR truck driver)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2018, 6:50 PM

fold flat N95

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Particulat.../dp/B073RNY48R

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Particulat.../dp/B00AEXIS4S
Old 08-02-2018, 7:40 PM

A small bottle of motrin from the dollar store will help ease those aches and pains around mile 10.

It also occurs to me that, assuming you can find a Dr. to write a scrip, a couple adderal/amphetamines will provide energy that you will certainly run out of before the halfway point. If you do go this route - get a prescription and keep the pills in the prescription bottle, this is something that you'll be carrying around everyday from now until you need it and you don't want to get caught with amphetamines without a prescription.
Old 08-02-2018, 9:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Good call

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 08-03-2018, 5:14 AM
Calguns Addict

https://www.google.com/search?&q=foldable+bike
Old 08-03-2018, 6:19 AM

I agree with ChuckD about the water. If this "hike" occurs during the summer, with temps like what we have been having, I will pretty much bet that it won't last long. It will be even worse in the city, with all the asphalt, concrete, and other stuff, radiating heat back up.
Using this site, a person my size and age, moderate hike, on a hot day(105*) needs about 1.5 l/hr. That's a lot of water.
So, in Sunny CA, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, has to be planned around water. My usual setup for my GHB has two 2 qt military canteens. Probably not nearly enough if I am any distance from home.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/hydrated...ion-calculator
Old 08-03-2018, 10:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well, that's bad news. I don't think she's walking home.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Duty Armorer
CGN Contributor

Don't forget... this is the missus... must include a roll of TP, and a box of tampons. Seriously.

Murphys law says a long walk home will happen on that time of the month.

My wife's get-home-bag has these things, and they've actually been tapped and then re-filled a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
The inevitable explosion gets closer and closer, coming in little steps, but closer every day.
I say: "Let's do it and get it over with."
* This post made while on the toilet. Please wash hands after reading.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I agree with ChuckD about the water. If this "hike" occurs during the summer, with temps like what we have been having, I will pretty much bet that it won't last long. It will be even worse in the city, with all the asphalt, concrete, and other stuff, radiating heat back up.
Using this site, a person my size and age, moderate hike, on a hot day(105*) needs about 1.5 l/hr. That's a lot of water.
So, in Sunny CA, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, has to be planned around water. My usual setup for my GHB has two 2 qt military canteens. Probably not nearly enough if I am any distance from home.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/hydrated...ion-calculator
I have a case of these in her car. Actually I have more food water and supplies in her car then she can carry. Packed in tubs.

The backpack is empty. If a situation arises she is smart enough to change her clothes and shoes, eat and hydrate at the car then pack the items she will need based on the situation. Since she has a CCW and is highly trained I'm confident she can defend herself as well as any man during that process.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

One added bit of advice. Water up (pound it) before you move out on your long march. Take your pain meds du jour right then as well. Next 3-4 hrs hit the meds again and don't get behind the pain that's there, yet cannot be felt 100%. Yeah, it'll be there.
It'll help keep the hiker from getting all stove up at the next rest stop. Rinse and repeat.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-03-2018, 2:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
One added bit of advice. Water up (pound it) before you move out on your long march. Take your pain meds du jour right then as well. Next 3-4 hrs hit the meds again and don't get behind the pain that's there, yet cannot be felt 100%. Yeah, it'll be there.
It'll help keep the hiker from getting all stove up at the next rest stop. Rinse and repeat.

Great advice, having equipment without the training to press thru the scenario to closure will guarantee they really just end up worse than if bunkering down at the office.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old 08-03-2018, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Give her a skateboard lol
I think you suggestion has a lot of common sense. A skateboard or a razor scooter would increase speed on the flat and downhill areas, and she can go significantly faster, and it saves a lot of energy on the flat and downhill areas.
Old 08-03-2018, 5:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
I think you suggestion has a lot of common sense. A skateboard or a razor scooter would increase speed on the flat and downhill areas, and she can go significantly faster, and it saves a lot of energy on the flat and downhill areas.
Are you talking about regular urethane skate wheels or something larger and rock absorbent?
I'm kinda seeing an accident looking for a place to happen, so I'm ust looking for clarity here.
An extra small transport is a good idea, just trying to see what that would look like exactly.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-03-2018, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

It'll work in the dirt and debris with big fat tires.
Razor 13013205 A5 Air Scooter

I have the old school tiny urethane wheels in my car.
Old 08-03-2018, 6:38 PM
Veteran Member

^^^ gotcha. Thanx

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-03-2018, 6:53 PM

The only walking after a natural disaster I can think of is in cities with a lot of mass transit. Everywhere else might mean traffic. But not likely a need to walk if you drove to work. Bigger risk is running out of gasoline while sitting in traffic. For newer cars, remember to let Eco mode stay on to not use up fuel while sitting.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills View Post
The only walking after a natural disaster I can think of is in cities with a lot of mass transit. Everywhere else might mean traffic. But not likely a need to walk if you drove to work. Bigger risk is running out of gasoline while sitting in traffic. For newer cars, remember to let Eco mode stay on to not use up fuel while sitting.
Ever gone 18 miles in rush hour on the 5? And that's without any emergency.

I've spent a lot of time in 3rd world countries, there were several times that traffic would get do bad that when trying to get to a work site sometimes we'd spend hours to go 10 miles, we'd end up just turning around and going back to the hotel. I could easily see SoCal being like that.

Even if the roads are mostly passable, cars work, and there is fuel available; it may be faster to walk.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Ever gone 18 miles in rush hour on the 5? And that's without any emergency.

I've spent a lot of time in 3rd world countries, there were several times that traffic would get do bad that when trying to get to a work site sometimes we'd spend hours to go 10 miles, we'd end up just turning around and going back to the hotel. I could easily see SoCal being like that.

Even if the roads are mostly passable, cars work, and there is fuel available; it may be faster to walk.
Yes, I remember a traffic jam in Nairobi like that. And there was an occasion when we did pay our van driver and got out and walked the rest of the way to the guest house.

I also remember after a couple of earthquakes how empty the freeways were. Apparently they advised people to stay off the freeway but I hadn’t listened to any news that morning.

But with the types of hazards we have in California, I’m having trouble picturing a situation where it would be safer to walk than to stay with a vehicle and wait for traffic to clear.

Even during the LA riots, my friends in the area stayed in their vehicles. And outside the flash points, people stayed inside so those out-and-about were able to move freely.

Maybe if your vehicle becomes disabled in a snow storm...
Old 08-03-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
As I recall, OP you are in the San Diego East County area. My first priority would be to have sufficient bottled water, to hydrate before starting the walk and a number of 12 ounce bottles that she can discard as she is emptying the bottle. Food is not a priority. It takes water to digest food, but if hunger will be an issue then a food source would be helpful to keep her mind off being hungry.

Women almost never have the appropriate shoes to walk in, so a good pair of walking shoes and a couple pairs of padded socks. Depending on the season, a light windbreaker would keep someone walking warm even during the winter, and it can serve as a light rain coat. A pair of pants, in the event she is wearing a dress.

Knife, flashlight with extra batteries, map, cellphone charger to use in the vehicle before starting to walk, band aids, small first aid kit.

I also have created a written plan that is put in each car, so in the event of an emergency such as a fire, earthquake, riot, everyone will have a written plan to follow. My written plan has contingencies, in the event we are separated and how we are to work towards linking up. The contingencies cover situations when there is no communications, and the likely areas where each of us may be. As our habits change, we have a family discussion and amend the written plan.
Should write a how to guide

Last edited by Lebaneseblonde; 08-03-2018 at 11:02 PM..
Old 08-03-2018, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
https://electricbikereview.com/category/folding/

That is what I was thinking too.