Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-01-2018, 11:56 AM

Question need some information on a 22lr. model 60 micro-groove

New to me Marlin Firearms model 60 micro-groove 22lr (only) w/tube under barrel magazine. Are these reliable fun to shoot and not ammo picky?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2018, 12:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They are really fun plinkers. The only issues I've had with ammo were the Aguila Colibris, but this is because they're shorter than a normal .22lr. Other than that, I've had no issues with regular .22 ammo. If you want reliability, you may want to consider bolt action .22lr, but it's not semi-auto.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I like my 10/22 better. They had them on sale at Turners for 150.00, black Friday. The model 60 seems to get fouled up pretty quick if you aren't in the habit of cleaning it often. That's just me, others may offer a different opinion.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:10 PM

This model 60 has been around for a while (mostly in storage) and the owner is not a shooting sports kind of person.
Old 02-01-2018, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Bought one , like it so much then bought another one, Marlin 60S & SB, don't know anything about "Marlin Firearms model 60 micro-groove 22lr".
The tubular can load 15 rds (legal in CA for more than 10rds on tubular). The only Aguilar SV FTFeed about 10% and all the others ammo are OK.
My friend had the Marlin 60, and said that "the best $160 he ever spent" . If there is anything problem with ammo, the first thing to check is "the nickel trick".
It is around $100-$150 cheaper than Ruger 10/22, but the 10/22 offer more model such as takedown, .... and you can custom 10/22. The Marlin 60 is just a very simple riffle, it's low price, and it works.

Last edited by newbie1234; 02-01-2018 at 2:19 PM..
Old 02-01-2018, 2:42 PM

Red face how to clean this rifle

Cleaning might be a problem, tight little space. Where should I concentrate? Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
I like my 10/22 better. They had them on sale at Turners for 150.00, black Friday. The model 60 seems to get fouled up pretty quick if you aren't in the habit of cleaning it often. That's just me, others may offer a different opinion.
Old 02-01-2018, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Great rifles. I have several of the Glenfield 60's (made by Marlin). You might consider buying a Spee-D-Loader, they make reloading super easy. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-polymer-clear

The model 60 has several potential safety issues you should be aware of. Paul Harrell does a great job of demonstrating what to watch for:

Last edited by SoCal Bob; 02-01-2018 at 6:43 PM.. Reason: forgot a word
Old 02-01-2018, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

>> Cleaning might be a problem, tight little space.

For me, clean the Marlin 60 is easier than the Ruger 10/22. I had the problem to drop the 10/22 recoil block in RIGHT TIME and RIGHT PLACE.
For Marlin 60, people get problem when install the trigger unit (?), the manual said very clearly that when install the trigger unit have to pull back the charging handle (the one to rack the fire arm) a little bit. But "who ?" reads the manual

Last edited by newbie1234; 02-01-2018 at 3:02 PM..
Old 02-01-2018, 3:14 PM

Exclamation safety issues

Thanks and I watch Mr. Harrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob View Post
Great rifles. I have several of the Glenfield 60's (made by Marlin). You might consider buying a Spee-D-Loader, they make reloading super easy. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-polymer-clear

The model 60 has several potential safety issues you should be aware of. Paul Harrell does a great of demonstrating what to watch for:

Old 02-02-2018, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Model 60s are great and have been around a long time. For regular, not deep, cleaning, I spray the action internals with Hornady One-Shot D\Cleaner and Dry Lube. Keeps them running fine.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:38 AM

Wink

Thanks, that I can handle. Putting back together might be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
Model 60s are great and have been around a long time. For regular, not deep, cleaning, I spray the action internals with Hornady One-Shot D\Cleaner and Dry Lube. Keeps them running fine.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

The model 60 is one of the easiest to correct for extraction issues, misfires, etc..Easy to replace/adjust internals... hammer spring, ejector wire, recoil spring..
10/22 easy as well.
Old 02-02-2018, 1:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bought the deluxe modle a couple years ago, never had a problem, same for the model 75, they both shoot any LR ammo I throw at em. I prefer it over my 10/22, theres nothing like getting out to the desert, setting up your targets, pull out the guns and realize you forgot your mags.

This is my deluxe model 60 and a model 75 I picked up from GB last year, their solid guns. Its hard to beat the 10/22, so many upgrades and Ruger is a fine gun maker. I just prefer a gun that doesn't take a mag, even tho I have plenty that do.

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 02-02-2018 at 6:27 PM..
Old 02-02-2018, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Got a model 99. I think it's the same as the 60 but with a longer barrel. It'll eat anything I feed it - but haven't tried any of the budget import ammo. I also had 4 10-22 and sold all but one. The Marlin was my first gun in 1968 so it's staying around.
Old 02-02-2018, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
I bought the deluxe modle a couple years ago, never had a problem, shoots any LR ammo I throw at it. I prefer it over my 10/22, theres nothing like getting out to the desert, setting up your targets, pull out the guns and realize you forgot your mags.
Sorry to off site.
I had two 10/22 rifles and ordered 8 extra mags, I put all 10 mags in a small bag. Went to the range bring one 10/22 and couples difference firearms and forget to bring the bag of 10/22 mags, it happened two times already. Lucky that it just a local range and I can rent the range's 10/22 just to use the mag.
Old 02-02-2018, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
10/22 easy as well.
You have to show me the trick , I always got the hard time to drop down the Bolt to the Receiver while pull the Bold Handle backward (with the tension of the Recoil Spring) .
Old 02-03-2018, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
You have to show me the trick , I always got the hard time to drop down the Bolt to the Receiver while pull the Bold Handle backward (with the tension of the Recoil Spring) .
Yes, that's the most difficult part ... especially with a new recoil spring.. New ones are slightly longer as they will set and shorten after just a few shooting sessions. Easy to kink the spring. With practice it's easier... 10/22 a bit tricky returning the bolt to the receiver as well. Again, easier with practice.
Pushing as much of the spring as you can into its channel in the bolt first..before setting it in the receiver.. helps

Pretty much do it as in this video..I don't remove the extractor pins like he wanted to. I just spray clean the extractors while manipulating them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VfC_2qxvV0
Old 02-03-2018, 4:12 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Fantastic gun- accurate and reliable. Also holds more than 10 rounds. Only problem I had with mine was the feed ramp got dirty after about 200 rounds and won't feed right. Just had to brush it off and it was good to go again.
Old 02-03-2018, 6:28 PM

I bought my Glenfield 60 40-some years ago at my local K Mart. Came with a 4x scope. Price was a whopping $39. I still have it and it's still a helluva lot of fun. Needs an occasional cleaning but nothing out of the ordinary. Accurate as Hell too. I have the 18 round mag tube.
Jon

Last edited by musketjon; 02-03-2018 at 6:31 PM..
Old 02-04-2018, 12:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sorry to off site.
I had two 10/22 rifles and ordered 8 extra mags, I put all 10 mags in a small bag. Went to the range bring one 10/22 and couples difference firearms and forget to bring the bag of 10/22 mags, it happened two times already. Lucky that it just a local range and I can rent the range's 10/22 just to use the mag.
I don't know how many times I've gone to the Mojave and forgot to bring mags. Just to be safe I keep a couple mags of all calibers/guns in my truck.
Its all the guns fault.

MLC, First 3
Old 02-04-2018, 9:08 AM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Yes, that's the most difficult part ... especially with a new recoil spring.. New ones are slightly longer as they will set and shorten after just a few shooting sessions. Easy to kink the spring. With practice it's easier... 10/22 a bit tricky returning the bolt to the receiver as well. Again, easier with practice.
Pushing as much of the spring as you can into its channel in the bolt first..before setting it in the receiver.. helps

Pretty much do it as in this video..I don't remove the extractor pins like he wanted to. I just spray clean the extractors while manipulating them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VfC_2qxvV0
Best $12 i ever spent. Makes putting in the bolt simple
https://www.tandemkross.com/Gunsmith...ool_p_140.html
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
I bought the deluxe modle a couple years ago, never had a problem, same for the model 75, they both shoot any LR ammo I throw at em. I prefer it over my 10/22, theres nothing like getting out to the desert, setting up your targets, pull out the guns and realize you forgot your mags.

This is my deluxe model 60 and a model 75 I picked up from GB last year, their solid guns. Its hard to beat the 10/22, so many upgrades and Ruger is a fine gun maker. I just prefer a gun that doesn't take a mag, even tho I have plenty that do.

I have a Model 60 which has the safety in the metal trigger guard. I inherited it and have never seen another with a similar safety.

I also have my daughter's Model 75. She moved to Virginia and I have to ship it. I am going to miss it as it is loads of fun and as accurate as any other semi-auto 22 and better than most.

Nice Pendleton blanket, too.
Old 02-04-2018, 7:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
I have a Model 60 which has the safety in the metal trigger guard. I inherited it and have never seen another with a similar safety.

I also have my daughter's Model 75. She moved to Virginia and I have to ship it. I am going to miss it as it is loads of fun and as accurate as any other semi-auto 22 and better than most.

Nice Pendleton blanket, too.
lol, I'm sure some like the blanket more than the guns, somebody gave my wife two of them.

Doesn't your model 75 have the same safety as the 60?

MLC, First 3
Old 02-04-2018, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

golfish - My 75 has the same safety as current 60s, but the older 60 has a metal trigger guard in a rectangular floorplate about 1" x 2", and the safety is in the front of the trigger guard, almost like a Garand or Mini-14 but much smaller and the movement is much less.
Old 02-05-2018, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the savage View Post
Best $12 i ever spent. Makes putting in the bolt simple
https://www.tandemkross.com/Gunsmith...ool_p_140.html
Thanks You, Thanks You, Thanks You.
Just order the tool. (total 19 buck to my door)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Everyone should own both a 10/22 and a Model 60 in my opinion. Both are excellent firearms.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 02-07-2018, 2:23 AM
Calguns Addict

^ I agree with Ron-Solo, everyone should at least know how to use and clean a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin Model 60 (or one of their many similar models) because I'm pretty sure those are the two most popular semi auto rifles in America (for great reasons).

You can't go wrong with either one of them but the Ruger does have Much more of an accessory market.

... Which could be bad or good depending if you have less money than all the extra goodies that you want.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesland View Post
Thanks and I watch Mr. Harrel
I own 3 Model 60’s and that video was very educational. While I have never had a reason to unload, I was not aware of the extra round in the loading gate. I always have the safety on and I always pull the bolt back a couple of times. With that being said I intend to show this video to both of my boys as a good measure. I also never pull the loading tube out completely either.
San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
What have you done for 2A lately?