Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-04-2017, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I see those discussions getting drowned out by "I'm new to the reloading cause of the whole prop 63 thing and yeah, I need some advice".

Which is just fine by me.
In two or three years a lot of used reloading equipment will be available.
Old 10-04-2017, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
My cyclic rate loading 9mm on a 1050 is 1800/hour. True rate is 1000+ and that includes loading the RL100, case lubing brass and rotating dirty brass through my tumbler. Lubing a 1050 every 10K rounds probably takes me an hour. My wife and I shoot different loads, but changing out powder hoppers and resetting micrometer adjustments only takes 15 minutes.

True rate is important if your practicing and shooting matches which can run up the monthly round count. If you're shooting IDPA or USPSA then you need PF-specific ammo. If you're shooting steel challenge you generally want the softest possible load for some divisions; can't do that with factory ammo.
When I was shooting PPC and IDPA I had set favorite recipes for 38 Special, 9mm and 45 ACP. So you can make barrels of ammo in advance. When I got divorced I had so much 9mm I went seven years without loading that caliber.
Old 10-04-2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
I lived thru the era of 'How Many Rounds Per Hour' can you reload. So how many other shooters after all these years still pound-out ~2,000 rounds a month?

I see the number of Reloaders dwindling. I hope this isn't so. How do you see it?
I reload n shoot 4-5K rounds of .40S&W a month between practice n competitions.. But crank out about 500 or so per reloading session on my 1050 in 30 minute blocks before taking a break.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
A 1050 wonít load half the stuff I reload for.
Even if it could ... changing calibers on a 1050 is a fairly expensive thing.

I bought a used 1050 set up for .223, I removed the dies from the toolhead and bought a 9mm conversion kit and it was over $100!!

On the 550b, it's $45 for a conversion kit and toolheads are $20. Toolheads for the 1050 are over $100 ... this is why I just unmounted the .223 dies and swapped in 9mm dies instead of getting a new toolhead to match the 9mm conversion kit.

(just guessing at vaguely remembered costs)

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 10-05-2017, 7:52 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Even if it could ... changing calibers on a 1050 is a fairly expensive thing.

I bought a used 1050 set up for .223, I removed the dies from the toolhead and bought a 9mm conversion kit and it was over $100!!

On the 550b, it's $45 for a conversion kit and toolheads are $20. Toolheads for the 1050 are over $100 ... this is why I just unmounted the .223 dies and swapped in 9mm dies instead of getting a new toolhead to match the 9mm conversion kit.

(just guessing at vaguely remembered costs)
No mean it doesnít have the capacity.
30/06, 300 Win mag, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, .458 Lott,
I load more big stuff then that shooting gallery kids stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 10-05-2017, 8:54 PM

Been loading for 20 years back then my shooting buddies laughed at me but im sure theyre all doing it now too.I got into reloading for the improved accuracy more than anything but the savings came along with it too.

I have an rcbs rockchucker kit i use for rifle calibers it has served me well.I also loaded for 45 then too but got tired of the pinching fingers here and there so got a dillion SDB since 45 was my only handgun and i shot it often then so made sense.It sped things up but i still didnt crank out hundreds a night and still dont.

I shoot a few times a year and will get into the reloading for a week kick out enough for a trip then hold for a while and do again so its small batches of 1-2 hundred.I have plenty of supplies though.Now have a 10mm too and relaoding for that is the only way to go to take full advantage of that round.
Old 10-06-2017, 7:42 AM

Quote:
So you can throw twice as many inaccurate loads twice as fast?
A friend of mine uses two chargemasters. It takes a long time to measure out 90+ grains of powder for big bore hunting rifles. So, he uses two. And no they are not inaccurate. I use one as well.

Again, they are not inaccurate for our purposes. Now for benchrest competition loads where one might want powder to be accurate to a tenth of a grain then it might be a different story.

One needs to look at the context of usage before making blanket statements in regards to accuracy of equipment.
Old 10-06-2017, 9:15 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
A friend of mine uses two chargemasters. It takes a long time to measure out 90+ grains of powder for big bore hunting rifles. So, he uses two. And no they are not inaccurate. I use one as well.

Again, they are not inaccurate for our purposes. Now for benchrest competition loads where one might want powder to be accurate to a tenth of a grain then it might be a different story.

One needs to look at the context of usage before making blanket statements in regards to accuracy of equipment.

Benchrest guys load a lot closer than .1gr most run scales that are +/-.01gr with high accuracy certified test masses,

I stand by my statement of inaccuracy. +/-.1gr is useless for load work up and precision for long range. You need a scale that is accurate to 1/4 of your finest level of precision. So you want to load a 50.0 grain load and load work up in .2 grain steps. Well a powder measure that is +/- .1gr is useless to a .2 gr step. You need a scale that is +/- .02 gr max to have a high degree of certainty that you load you droped and trickled up to is in fact a .2 gr step and worse case your load step would be .18-.22gr not .1-.3gr. Your 90 grain load with .5 gr steps for load work up would be .4 - .6gr and I can tell you from loading magnums having a error of half your step amount is bad. Like I said you may as well be using a powder dipper. Iím saving my money to get a sartorius scale and interconnected power trickler.
I reload 300 Win mag at 77 grains and I reload 408 Cheytac at 131 grains. I hand weigh each charge, and they are all kept as close as my gempro scale can do which is +/-.05gr
SD & ES on these loads are low for as large of a powder charge. My 308 load are 6.8 SD & 13.5 ES
Yes I compete, and at long I range.

Quote:
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Old 10-06-2017, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

That's really good ES and SD.

The best load I've developed using a chargemaster only gets to ES 18 and SD 6.25

Can only imagine how much I can improve on that with a sartorius, or even a gempro.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 10-06-2017 at 9:57 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
That's really good ES and SD.

The best load I've developed using a chargemaster only gets to ES 18 and SD 6.25

Can only imagine how much I can improve on that with a sartorius, or even a gempro.
Don’t be surprised if you can’t do much better than you are right now. Thing is with a precision scale you should be able to get single digit SD’s a lot easier.

To be honest. I can’t contribute that to skill or technique, that’s blind luck.
Because my other loads that I was using in working up loads that day were at least double. And the groups showed it. But I weighed the charges out as accurate as my scale will read. Accepted no load unless it was dead on my number. And I was only changing seating depth at this point of the process. Worst load had a ES of 75 and a SD of something like 25 or 30 group was about 2.5”
My super low SD load produced a single hole from five bullets that was .530” wide by .200” tall. I couldn’t believe it. But I said “yep that the load I’m using for now on.
I don’t remember the SD & ES from the Cheytac loads but they were on the low side just not as low as I would like. They group just over .5 moa

Quote:

Last edited by kcstott; 10-06-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Old 10-08-2017, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Maybe for a commercial model or something. The pro/1050 model is like $2500.

http://www.markvii-loading.com/Mark-...rive_p_27.html
Plus the price of a 1050. Mark 7 just unveiled their 'Revolution' machine that's like 7 or 8 stages. Allows for primers to be dumped in. It's over $9k. Not sure who it's geared for. Maybe a comp shooter who shoots 2-3k a month.
Old 10-08-2017, 8:28 AM

While I would like a better press , to be honest , I am like my nephews and nieces . I would rather buy another gun than upgrade .
At most I / we will do 300 [308 / 762 ] before changing calibers .
Right now a different caliber runs about 100-150 [ toolhead , dies etc ] at 15 calibers most are covered ,
Old 10-16-2017, 9:41 PM

I'm still using the cheap Lee stuff I bought just to see if I'd like reloading.

My reloading rate is measured in days. I enjoy the process since I'm not pushing for quantity like a competition shooter.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
Plus the price of a 1050. Mark 7 just unveiled their 'Revolution' machine that's like 7 or 8 stages. Allows for primers to be dumped in. It's over $9k. Not sure who it's geared for. Maybe a comp shooter who shoots 2-3k a month.
I could see getting an 06 FFL and gearing up for local sales. dedicated machine for batch running 223, 9mm, and maybe 45 acp or similar, and a machine set up for short run boutique ammo.
Old 10-17-2017, 4:35 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Guys don't for get that stupid senate bill is going to get all your 650's and 1050's banned... remember accessories that increase a semi auto's rate of fire. well you can't shoot if you can't reload and your can't shoot fast if you can't reload fast. Your stainless pin will be a thing of the past, absolutely no progressive presses let alone fully automatic bullet feeders and brass hoppers, And electric motors to drive the whole setup. Oh no no no...you would be labeled as a fully automatic ammunition manufacturer...

You will be forced to use a lee hand press, and K spinners to polish your brass. My god what kind of mass murder do you plan to commit by being able to load 5-6-700 rounds per hour??

Sorry I couldn't resist but if you really want to exposed the dumbfukery this would be a good way to do it. Get ol windbag Feinstien to back a bill that regulates how fast a loader can reload.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2017, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Get ol windbag Feinstein to back a bill that regulates how fast a loader can reload.
I'd not try since there is a high probability it would pass.

RE: scales. You have convinced me I need to up my game there. Maybe not to your level of precision, but better than I can do now.
Old 10-17-2017, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Just added a Mr Bulletfeeder to my XL-650, should have done this years ago. Loaded 300 rounds of .45ACP for the IDPA Fall Brawl in Little Rock in 45 minutes.

XL-650 to feed the .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield 9MM loaded.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"