Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-13-2014, 6:38 PM

Default Store ammo?

So the past few years I have bought a ton of ammo. I think we all know why! The problem is my safe is overflowing with ammo. My question is how do you guys store your ammo? Do you have it in ammo cans, just around the house? I tried making a bug out bag for ammo, but it is just to heavy to carry around. How do you guys prep when it comes to ammo? Also the past couple of years I sold most of my guns, I only have to buy .12g, .45, .223. It makes it easy when prepping. Thanks for any info!
Old 09-13-2014, 6:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

ammo cans is the best for me.
I am close to the ocean so ammo cans works for me. I use blue painters tape to label the cans plus they stack.
Old 09-13-2014, 7:10 PM

Ammo cans are great. Make sure that the seal is serviceable. You can even buy locking mechanisms if you like.
Old 09-13-2014, 7:27 PM

Ammo cans for storage and if you want to throw some in a BOB 6 rifle mags, 3 pistol mags and a bandoleer of shells.
Old 09-13-2014, 7:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

ammo cans are the best. they stack well and easy to find just about anywhere.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 09-13-2014, 7:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ammo cans, the resuable tupperware style containers from the grocery store that cold cuts come in, zip lock bags. The stuff not in ammo cans is stored in foot lockers and a couple styrofoam coolers. My powder is in an old plastic coleman cooler all in a metal shed on the side of the house. The shed has an insulated roof and spinner vent and is in the shade for most of the day.
Old 09-13-2014, 7:59 PM

2 separate safes for ammo and powder storage. 5 gallon buckets with Gamma lids to store the reloaded stuff and just stack the new cases.
Old 09-13-2014, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Or just get a lockable metal cabinet.
It allows you to store in the vertical axis, not just the horizontal ie across the floor
Safe ammo storage is a pain to say the least.
Old 09-13-2014, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
ammo cans is the best for me.
I am close to the ocean so ammo cans works for me. I use blue painters tape to label the cans plus they stack.
I do the exact same thing with the same tape!

I also welded up a shelf with metal casters to move around the garage. It weighs probably 2,500 lbs loaded with ammo.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-13-2014, 8:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ammo cans...but don't forget the desiccant. Just in case.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 09-13-2014, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

you mentioned a bob, so relocating is one possible scenario.

therefore if your ammo isn't easily & quickly transportable you've missed the mark.

I say ammo cans
Old 09-13-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragemachine View Post
So the past few years I have bought a ton of ammo. I think we all know why! The problem is my safe is overflowing with ammo. My question is how do you guys store your ammo? Do you have it in ammo cans, just around the house? I tried making a bug out bag for ammo, but it is just to heavy to carry around. How do you guys prep when it comes to ammo? Also the past couple of years I sold most of my guns, I only have to buy .12g, .45, .223. It makes it easy when prepping. Thanks for any info!
LOL, three safes for rifle, pistol and ammo
Old 09-14-2014, 12:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I only reload for 9mm and .223, but we only use 3 calibers including 22lr.

Ammo cans with handles were virtually free, once the product inside is used up...

Edit: I forgot about 12 gauge, but 12 gauge isn't a caliber, is it?:
Old 09-14-2014, 5:41 AM

I have all my ammo in ammo cans in the garage.
Old 09-14-2014, 5:56 AM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Smile

You don't have to fill them all the way up. Right around 50 lbs each is convenient for transportation.

I do, but I'm the extra-large economy size.
Old 09-14-2014, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

While I do store ammo in ammo cans with dessicant, I have ammo that has been out in the bottom of a closet for over 20 years that fires fine (no dessicant, no ammo can). I live inland in So Cal, humidity simply isn't an issue.
Old 09-14-2014, 8:00 AM

cans for me as well.
Old 09-14-2014, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post

Ammo cans with handles were virtually free, once the product inside is used up...
Those are great. I use them for storing my brass.

Loaded ammo goes in cans in the temperature controlled house, with desiccant packs.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Ammo cans and I store them in a big Gladiator shelf.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 09-14-2014, 4:59 PM

I have all mine in ammo cans as well. I built locking devices on all of them and they are pad locked. If you store your ammo in baggies or loose you can get about 1500 rnds per ammo can versus 600 rounds if you leave them in the box they came in from the store
Old 09-15-2014, 2:26 PM

Military ammo cans and silica packs. I keep mine in their boxes but know some people store their ammo loose in cans.
Old 09-15-2014, 2:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post

Edit: I forgot about 12 gauge, but 12 gauge isn't a caliber, is it?:
I use those as well for my reloading brass.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 09-15-2014, 9:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

most ammo stored in ammo boxes and kept in separate locked areas of my home.
Old 09-16-2014, 9:26 PM
Banned

IMHO private ammunition dumps are a waste of resources.
Ammo is way too heavy, a liability to store, bulky, and if you think you can take on an infantry division you're, well, imaginative (to put it charitably)
Bug Out? Perhaps if you've got a fork lift! When the Zombies come for your guns, perhaps they won't find the pistol but the stacked crates of 5.56mm are difficult to overlook.

A good friend who survived WW2 Poland recommended always keeping 300 rounds of good quality pistol ammo----not too heavy, not too bulky, discreet and easily moved or cached. Hunting ammo and practice ammo are a different matter, especially in times like the recent ammo shortage, but for survival purposes 300 rounds is more than enough to repel the lawless and to possibly capture an enemy's weapons and his ammo supply.
300 rounds will easily fit in one of those small, handy ammo cans.
Old 09-16-2014, 9:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
Ammo is way too heavy, a liability to store, bulky, and if you think you can take on an infantry division you're, well, imaginative (to put it charitably)
Bug Out? Perhaps if you've got a fork lift! When the Zombies come for your guns, perhaps they won't find the pistol but the stacked crates of 5.56mm are difficult to overlook.

A good friend who survived WW2 Poland recommended always keeping 300 rounds of good quality pistol ammo----not too heavy, not too bulky, discreet and easily moved or cached. Hunting ammo and practice ammo are a different matter, especially in times like the recent ammo shortage, but for survival purposes 300 rounds is more than enough to repel the lawless and to possibly capture an enemy's weapons and his ammo supply.
You're forgetting about barter and other forms of trade that ammo will be big wampum for.
Not all scenarios involve bugging out.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
You're forgetting about barter and other forms of trade that ammo will be big wampum for.
I won't say "never" because one never knows what the future could bring. But I certainly would not plan to use ammo for bartering with strangers. The last thing I'd want is to give someone the bullet to kill me with.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 PM

Was just thinking of reorganizing my cans right now, lol. Building off the idea of another Calgunner...

one can for general "911" - bug out, survival, travel light
one can for SHTF - supply for rifle & sidearm

bring one or both as the situation calls for. they most likely won't be filled to the brim, since carry weight of firearms and other supplies will be considered
Old 09-17-2014, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Although I myself have a ton of ammo and I believe that I'll never have enough, your point actually makes good sense.

Low key and being discrete truly is the key to survival. While I have a bazillion guns like many others here, when I moved out from my parent's home several decades ago, I only had one 1911 handgun, one Ruger 10/22 and one 12ga Wingmaster hunting shotgun. I was ready

I've always been a firm believer (without getting into the "caliber wars"), that a guy simply armed with one Ruger 10/22 and a 500 round "brick" of 22LR ammo, could have easily survived the crime wave of gangs and thugs that preyed upon the innocent within the super dome, during hurricane Katrina.

Personally, I think I would have actually had some fun within that super dome, crushing evil.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-17-2014, 3:40 AM

Ditto that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi762 View Post
Military ammo cans and silica packs. I keep mine in their boxes but know some people store their ammo loose in cans.
Old 09-17-2014, 4:15 AM
Banned

A gunsafe filled with ammo could potentially become a very large bomb should you ever have a house fire. I suggest that you refrain from that method of storage. If you want more security, they make special security cabinets that are rated for flammable items.
Old 09-17-2014, 5:07 AM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
A gunsafe filled with ammo could potentially become a very large bomb should you ever have a house fire. I suggest that you refrain from that method of storage. If you want more security, they make special security cabinets that are rated for flammable items.
How would that be a bomb?
Old 09-17-2014, 5:13 AM

I can't believe how many ammo cans (coffee containers) I have thrown out over the years! Just didn't think of that at all! I have a Foodsaver so some of all the calibers we have is stored vacuum sealed. I have read that you can do that and bury it in the yard (or wherever) for years with no worry of it breaking down in any way, but I have not personally tried it.
Old 09-17-2014, 6:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Interesting, as I've stowed away 300 rounds of HD "survival" ammo as well, in a small pelican case. The rest I more or less view as hunting, practice, barter ammo. Glad I'm not the only one who saw it this way!

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 09-17-2014, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragemachine View Post
Perhaps one of those roller backpacks? Or modify one with some wheels that will work well on different terrains.
Old 09-17-2014, 9:35 AM

emergency ammo bag last resort
-4 stripper clip 308
-50rd 223 fiochi
-25rd buck shot 00 (3-5)
-5rd slug(1)
-100rd 223 (3 mags)
-150 9mm fmj(10-15 mags)
-50 9mm jhp (3-5 mags)
-100 45 acp fmj (10 mags)
-20 rd jhp wwb (2 mags)
-10rd shot shell (1)-pest control

worry about all other ammo later in shtf if you have to move otherwise all in ammo can
Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
How would that be a bomb?
I have yet to hear one sound reply to that question.

So many people fail to understand what delineates an "explosion".
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 AM

A very interesting discussion on ammunition storage. Good ideas and food for thought for the future.

Just an fyi about ammunition in a fire, please check out the following article:

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...tion_fires.pdf

A quote from the article: "Experience and tests over the last half century clearly demonstrate that sporting arms ammunition stocks do not constitute a fire hazard of any great significance."

Cheers.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Since you brought it up there are many documented instances in Serbia and Bosnia where they sold everything including their women and children just for ammo to protect themselves. The people that could defend themselves with weapons and ammo were the ones who survived and were not messed with. I think your 300 round count is pure folly.

As for bugging out, unless you are headed to a place with known resources it is a recipe for getting killed.

Ammo is like water, if you run out, you die.
Old 09-17-2014, 7:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Since you brought it up there are many documented instances in Serbia and Bosnia where they sold everything including their women and children just for ammo to protect themselves. The people that could defend themselves with weapons and ammo were the ones who survived and were not messed with. I think your 300 round count is pure folly.

As for bugging out, unless you are headed to a place with known resources it is a recipe for getting killed.

Ammo is like water, if you run out, you die.
FWIW, I wouldn't trust the word of anyone who'd sell their women and children just to protect their own sorry @$$.