Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-18-2013, 9:58 AM

Default Reviews? Any for this survival coarse?

1st I'm a private person trying to find out if this is worth the money they want for this coarse. If the info is accurate as considered by experts in survival and the for certain meltdown that is coming. I have zero business or financial interest in this product or their company.

If you have paid for this coarse book or know someone that has and can provide a valid opinion please respond.

If you have personal experience with a similar product that can help a newbie be prepared, please reference that product and a link.

I have no desire to read a dozen books on this topic, I want a good guide that will if followed prepare me and my family for extreme emergency situations survivalist often refer to.

COMPLETE 236-page Long-Term Family Survival Course by Jason Richards

Quote:
Inside Family Survival Course, you’ll find:

Family’s Complete List of Items: all the 44 foods you need to stockpile for your family’s long term survival.
9 basic self-defense items every household should have when the crisis strikes. They’re not a hazard for your family, they’re easy to use… and they can save your kids’ lives in the most unpredictable life-threatening situations.
How to create an inconspicuous “panic room” in your home – even if you’re a renter! – and keep your whole family safe and sound, away from any danger that may happen outside the panic room door.
How to generate your own electricity for less than $200… in case the grid breaks down and leaves you in pitch black for weeks.
48 natural, dirt-cheap remedies you should stockpile with your supplies. If a major disaster destroys your town, a road to the pharmacy may very well become a road to hell. Ignore this crucial list and you`ll dread the sound of a sneeze in your home!
How to take complete control over your food and water supplies… and keep looters off your property and far away from the stock you`ve invested in.
Make your own clean water without wasting all the essential minerals your body needs (unlike the usual purification processes that drain all the good stuff out of water).
The well-kept secret that will bring you MORE power than guns and wealth together… and how to use it to stay on top of the food chain all throughout the crisis.
The common mistake that can instantly leave you and your family with nothing to eat for weeks… and put your life in danger. You`ll discover how to provide enough food for your entire family with no risk whatsoever… and stay as far from FEMA camps as possible!
The 3 instant measures you should take when you hear the dreaded knock on your door… and keep soldiers out of your house, even if they have an evacuation order!
Old 01-18-2013, 1:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

1) no - there are some great free and paid resources out there.
2) if you really want to read it - BAD LINK

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)

Last edited by QuarterBoreGunner; 01-19-2013 at 4:14 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 2:51 PM

Depends. How much is it? There a lot of great books out there that are well written that you can buy if you want, I know I have a few, but most are much longer than 236 pages and were cheap..less than $15.

The book you're describing sounds almost exactly like that scam Sold Out After Crisis that contained nothing that 10 minutes of research on Google couldn't provide.

Here's a FREE 509 page manual put out by the LDS church. Thise guys taking prepping seriously and have WAY before it was popular to do so. They know their stuff.

Any here's a comprehensive list of 80+ different survival manuals/guides that are free.

If you want book suggestions just do a search here and you'll find info on a ton of them.
Old 01-18-2013, 4:06 PM

Why would the LDS church bother to create a manual? I've never seen one by Islam, Catholisism.
Old 01-18-2013, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Pretty coarse...60 to 80 grit I would guess.
Old 01-18-2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoneedsafety? View Post
Why would the LDS church bother to create a manual? I've never seen one by Islam, Catholisism.
For whatever reason they are very serious about prepping. Always have been. They know their stuff.
Old 01-18-2013, 7:08 PM

Theere's an unofficial mormon survival/prep guide that's fantastic. They have canneries and whatnot you can purchase survival supplies from.

It's their business why they do it.
Old 01-19-2013, 5:21 PM

To the OP, where are you located? There are numerous Survival courses out there depending on where you are that you can pick and choose from. You might even want to check the skill level of some of your friends; they might have what you need. Don't be dissuaded by how this thread started to turn into a CF, some are just trying to help you out to reach your goal. There are a lot of outfitted and trained “preppers” on here, TheChief is just one example, a few of us have been doing this for quite some time. Best of luck in your training, anyway I might be able to assist, feel free to PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 8:17 PM

The book I recommend to friends, family and online is the "Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family, 3rd Edition" written by Arthur Bradley. (I have no personal or professional association in any way with the book, publisher, author, etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Pract.../dp/1475136536

Its $24.95 and covers a bunch of topics. Its a good starting place for a newbie. Once you have read it, you can start researching specific topics of interest. What I really like about it is that it is event neutral and has no underlying messages on politics, religion or philosophy that are so prominent in similar books of this type.

I have played with the idea of writing one of these guides for awhile so purchased a couple at first, then a couple more, and so on until I find I have a small library consisting of 30-40 books on the topic. I don't feel I can do better than this book short of writing a five to six tome series on the topic so I put the dream to bed.

What I have found, is there is no "ONE" book as this is an endless topic. How do you prepare to survive and unknown event with an unknown effect for an indeterminate period of time?

Very few humans in recorded history have been able to survive alone...it takes a village (to borrow a phrase).

I feel a ramble coming along so I will cut it off here.

I have not read the book you referenced nor a couple other similar ones that use the same smarmy sales tactics, where you can only purchase from their site and it isn't widely reviewed. If it isn't on Amazon or reviewed on regular sites, I leave it alone.

In writing this response, I went to the author's website. He has the book on sale for $19.95 with free S&H. Looks like he has two more books out; "Prepper's Instruction Manual: 50 steps" and "Preparing for EMP Attacks and Solar Storms, Expanded Edition"
http://disasterpreparer.com/

Given how much I liked the first one, I am going to purchase the other two.

Any ways, hope this all helps! Good luck in your preps and planning.

The biggest piece of advice I can pass on...keep your significant other in the loop with your thoughts, plans, and fears.
Old 01-19-2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post

In writing this response, I went to the author's website. He has the book on sale for $19.95 with free S&H. Looks like he has two more books out; "Prepper's Instruction Manual: 50 steps" and "Preparing for EMP Attacks and Solar Storms, Expanded Edition"
http://disasterpreparer.com/

Given how much I liked the first one, I am going to purchase the other two.
Hey - when you get the other two books in hand let us know if they are of similar quality. That $34 dollar deal for all 3 with free shipping is like getting one book free.