Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 05-12-2013, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

criminals use the range too
Old 05-12-2013, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
That would be my first question. Police report + surveillance video = Thieves are caught.
OP, what about this? No video camera footage to look at?
Old 05-18-2013, 6:39 PM

That's insane... To think that people will just take your ammo at a busy range. o.O Wth is wrong with people these days.
Old 05-18-2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
He hand loaded a "special" 223 round. He knows which one it is and never shoots it but has it in every box of ammo he takes to the range.

If anyone ever steals his ammo they are in for a big surprise. Because he loaded the "special" 223 round with Bullseye powder.
This is unbelievably stupid. There is no end to the number of scenarios where this could go catastrophically wrong.
Old 05-18-2013, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveTPO View Post
This is unbelievably stupid. There is no end to the number of scenarios where this could go catastrophically wrong.
Lol...That reminds me of a story when I was a kid...

My step father pissed me off one day so I loaded a few of his cigarettes with a boom stick that I bought from the magic store. It makes cigars and cigarettes explode. Well stupid me, I loaded it right before we all went out to dinner. As were in the car driving he pulls out his cigs for a smoke. I thought to myself, "Oh no what have a done."...Next thing you know...BOOOM! We almost crash and die...My step dad was like "WTF??" "Must have been a bad batch of Marlboro's"...lol

I look back and laugh but think how stupid I was...

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 05-19-2013, 6:59 PM

Some one stole my kershaw knife and a beretta fs92 mag when i was helping the little old man in his 80's next to me with his new px4 that was failure to fire/feed. his fingers bleeding and shaking... so less than 2 feet away but my back was to my stuff. I helped him figure out it was his Fiocci ammo and needed a few dots of oil.
well, no good deed goes unpunished.
the people at the range today are not the same time that were there last yr.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Its sad to see how the ranges are devolving. Metcalf used to be a bunch or regulars, same guys every week, always secure, no problems. Everyone who was unsafe or sketch stayed at TM or went to Los altos RG, but now they're over-populating metcalf. I go early, get two lanes, and keep all my stuff above the yellow line. That way, no one will get near any of my sh*t if I walk down the line to help people (the RO's know that I know AR's, and ask for assistance once in a blue moon
/thread.

ΦΑ
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
People are $@#$ing scum! The only thing you can do is live honestly yourself and trust no strangers. A-holes!

so true now days..years ago I left some unwashed laundry still in a bag to go down to the corner to get change...it was gone when i got back..

now what kinda person steals a load of unwashed clothes from a laundry mat?

Anyways..i never leave anything unattended now days!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofojoe View Post
How many rounds?
This ^

That's BS! Damn theives!!
Old 06-05-2013, 3:35 PM

Wow no honor or respect. That is low!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 PM

It's comforting to know that these people who are stealing your stuff are also armed with guns.

One day when they are desperate enough, they will do terrible things with those guns.
Old 06-09-2013, 4:49 AM

i actually had some scumbag try to swipe a toasted (as in ruined, useless) battery out of the back of my truck.

also had a blown cheapo (brand name on it was "thump") subwoofer stolen out of my truck back in my community college days...i pretty much knew it would get stolen, it was just a question of when.
Old 06-09-2013, 5:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge62 View Post

now what kinda person steals a load of unwashed clothes from a laundry mat?
Reminds me of a friend who returned from a couple months at sea,his wife
left the house pretty much intact but ALL his clothes were gone,nice to
know your ex wife's new friend wears your size!. Pete
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 06-23-2013, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

That's another reason why I like to go shooting with a buddy. An extra pair of vigilant eyes helps to keep the bad guys away.
Old 06-23-2013, 9:22 PM

Reason why I hate local ranges.

I make the extra hour drive to BLM lands where I can have the wilderness all to myself.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM

Dastardly!
Old 06-24-2013, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

Guns & ammo are stolen on a regular basis at ranges. I've heard a lot of stories in my time already. Sorry your ammo was jacked!
Old 06-24-2013, 2:57 PM

I avoid public ranges. We see the yahoos that come out with no idea of how to properly conduct themselves. In Oroville there is a no RSO public range at the clay pit. I have been there only a few times and each time I saw some pretty questionable things happen.
I feel for you man.
Old 06-24-2013, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

during Cease fire at USI, I came back and my shoot n c's were gone which I put behind the bench behind the firing line.
2 fellow shooters offered me a shoot n c and i accepted
asked around no one saw them, then asked one of the older range officer and he had them.
He mumbled dont leave it out or some crap, which I said well we cant leave them on the bench because we cant touch anything on the bench during the cease fire.

Out of the 6 years ive been shooting there I never once had someone touch my targets until him which I told him and he walked off.

Last edited by Darklyte27; 06-24-2013 at 3:26 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 4:17 PM

that sucks the worst ive had was someone take 2 targets i had sitting on the bench...but im guessing it was just an honest mistake in my case
Old 06-25-2013, 1:36 AM

Wow, that's sad yet not surprising. Last time I went to ASR, I saw some kids dressed like gangbangers walking up and down the rifle range. Not shooting but scoping out other peoples gear. I felt like they were shopping for free stuff. Packed up my gear, mentioned them to the RO and left.

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT
Old 06-25-2013, 5:23 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Stealing should be BANNED.
Old 06-25-2013, 3:00 PM

That sucks. I've always wondered if people do that at the range. Seems pretty gutsy considering everyone has guns :P
Old 06-26-2013, 2:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheomegaman View Post
So the thieves steal the ammo, then sell it to some unsuspecting third party. Thieves get the cash, and the third party gets to potentially lose an eye and their ar? Good plan.
Not to mention the fact that booby-traps are a felony to construct in this state.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
during Cease fire at USI, I came back and my shoot n c's were gone which I put behind the bench behind the firing line.
2 fellow shooters offered me a shoot n c and i accepted
asked around no one saw them, then asked one of the older range officer and he had them.
He mumbled dont leave it out or some crap, which I said well we cant leave them on the bench because we cant touch anything on the bench during the cease fire.

Out of the 6 years ive been shooting there I never once had someone touch my targets until him which I told him and he walked off.
Wait, your splatter targets were stolen -er... relocated- by an RO? That's nuts!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Everyone has to "sign-in" at our local club. I would report the incident and have the sign-in sheet flagged for later, in case it happens again. At least they could compare the two sheets to find the common thread or sticky-fingered moron. We always leave our stuff on the bench and rarely worry about that happening. The benefits of a small club where everyone knows everyone else. Sorry for your loss.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
-- George Washington

NRA & CRPA Life Member
Old 06-26-2013, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
Stuff gets stolen off tables at gunshows while the owner is 3 feet away, and incredible as it may seem (I know some folks will find this hard to believe) sometimes even cops steal stuff!

Trust no one!
Yep. A few months ago an AR-15 was stolen at the Costa Mesa gun show off someone's table.

They installed cameras in the big room finally and announced on the loud speaker every 10 mins that there are thieves, probably trying to scare ppl from stealing if they are announcing it and keeping ppl on their toes. (look at the ceiling in the big building for new cameras installed) They rotate and move around (assuming someone is controlling them)

Almost every show I hear of theft (my dad is a vendor and goes to the cross road shows and I go help him) a few shows ago a big bayonet/knife vendor had a 700$ knife swiped from his table as well. Lots of sketchy looking ppl walking around. Especially with the recent crowds its harder to keep an eye on stuff.
Old 06-26-2013, 5:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
Everyone has to "sign-in" at our local club. I would report the incident and have the sign-in sheet flagged for later, in case it happens again. At least they could compare the two sheets to find the common thread or sticky-fingered moron. We always leave our stuff on the bench and rarely worry about that happening. The benefits of a small club where everyone knows everyone else. Sorry for your loss.
I have never seen a range check id, you can sign in with whatever name you want.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 PM

What do those numbers and acronyms mean?
Old 06-30-2013, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

it's real easy to convince yourself that you're amongst "gun people" like you, who have values, and principles. I occasionally fall into that false belief but am reminded whenever I read more than a few threads here, that there are plenty of *****holes among us. click on any forum and read a few posts. our community is more full of dicks than ever, and it only seems to be getting worse. when you consider the decay of society around us, it stands to reason it will also impact even the finest kinds of people. blows me away some of the scandalous crap people around here do and say. can't imagine some of these things happening 25 years ago, or for that matter, probably don't happen much outside California. gives a good picture why we're not quite as welcome other places as we'd expect to be huh?
Old 07-17-2013, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

The biggest potential for theft is Angeles. If your alone and drop your stuff off at a table to park your car it's pretty much open season on your gear. You would think the management would have a better system worked out but they don't.
Old 07-23-2013, 5:36 PM
Banned

Maybe it was a mistake? Once at ASR, I went shooting with a buddy who had an AR, which, to me, all look more or less the same. After we shot his AR on the rifle side, we decided to move to the pistol side. I took what I believed was his AR from the back table, when I suddenly heard a guy say, "That's my gun! That's my gun!" Sure enough, I was handling someone else's AR by mistake!

My friend had already taken his AR off the table, and I did not notice. I apologized to that guy profusely. He was mad, but didn't press the issue any further. It was an honest mistake on my part, and I learned my lesson. I would never in a million years take any property which was not mine, not even a shell casing.

I can't say that is what happened to you, but, as in my case, mistakes can and do sometimes happen...
Old 07-23-2013, 6:02 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantedamean View Post
A place full of people with loaded guns is a very risky and stupid place to steal something.
There might be a tragic accident, ##it happens
Old 07-23-2013, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

That sucks. Thanks for the reminder. I've probably gotten complacent since the assumption is that armed people are maybe not the best people to rob. I MOSTLY only leave the bench during cease fires (and I shoot at Chabot where any pausing during the bench during cease fires leads to yelling) but not always. Maybe it's time to make that "always".
Old 08-09-2013, 9:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That sucks.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

I see a lot of ghetto trash show up at ranges these days. There is no way I'm turning my back on my gear anymore when using a public range.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

last week I had just the opposite happen @ Metcalf. The RO approached me as I was leaving and asked me if I had left my rifle pad on my lane. I hadn't, but I appreciated the fact that he recognized the lane I was in and took the time to ask.

Jim

Jim

Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTecalo View Post
last week I had just the opposite happen @ Metcalf. The RO approached me as I was leaving and asked me if I had left my rifle pad on my lane. I hadn't, but I appreciated the fact that he recognized the lane I was in and took the time to ask.
Agreed. Good people still exist. I left an ammo can half full of rifle ammo at Richmond after shooting on the 100-yard line. When I realized it, I called the range shack. Turns out, the guy shooting next to me who I chatted with during my shooting turned in the ammo when he realized I left it (and put my name on it).

You just can't count on it anymore.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
it's real easy to convince yourself that you're amongst "gun people" like you, who have values, and principles. I occasionally fall into that false belief but am reminded whenever I read more than a few threads here, that there are plenty of *****holes among us. click on any forum and read a few posts. our community is more full of dicks than ever, and it only seems to be getting worse. when you consider the decay of society around us, it stands to reason it will also impact even the finest kinds of people. blows me away some of the scandalous crap people around here do and say. can't imagine some of these things happening 25 years ago, or for that matter, probably don't happen much outside California. gives a good picture why we're not quite as welcome other places as we'd expect to be huh?
I agree, up to the point about not happening much outside CA. It happening everywhere....

I wouldn't dream of talking someone's stuff. Just my moral upbringing.