Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-18-2018, 3:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For us, we will continue to do the JUS123 just as I have done for over a decade now and report though CAPSS and we will run our buys, pawns and consignments through the DES also. I can tell you for one in my last DOJ audit they wanted to see my acquisitions through the DES and the corresponding ID/ and thumbprint. I can also tell you I have never had a law enforcement agency ask to see a JUS123 copy that wasn't already remitted to them via either the newly implemented CAPSS or the old paper JUS123 thumbprints we used to take to the PD.

LEO's seem to have no idea on how 2nd hand licensing works and what we are required to do. I even had one agency in fact tell me that they do not have the staffing to check our JUS123's and that we don't need to bring those to them, however, as I stated in the BPC and pointed out to the guy at the PD counter I was required to do so, and if they didn't want them they can toss them out.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Tons of new handguns! New Aero Receivers in stock soon!
Old 04-18-2018, 3:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acespawnshop View Post
I just don't see how you can't comply with the BPC on this one. I think we are in agreement now that a 2nd hand license is required to buy from the public and now we have moved on to is it required to report those buys to CAPSS or not.
LUCKY ME! I just found out our PD has our renewal they never sent to us. So, i guess we are still a second hand dealer. LOL

PD again said CAPPS is only required for Pawn and no JUS 123 any more. We are told by DOJ to only use the DES system for aquisitions.
Old 04-18-2018, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Figures, I never received a copy of my pawn license when I renewed in 2014. It got misplaced at the PD and I never got a copy of it, we had the old one on the wall for ever. I got the renewal in 2016 and again in 2018. But the ball got dropped, I know it was valid in 2014 and the PD admitted they lost my copy, assured me I would get a replacement and it never happened. It wasn't a big deal. Now we have a girl in the PD office who handles all this stuff and is really nice. In 2016 she sent one of the explorer kids down here in a city vehicle to drop off our pawn license. In 2018 she mailed it to me. Nice folks here at WCPD.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Tons of new handguns! New Aero Receivers in stock soon!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:31 AM

In case anyone is still interested in this topic...

I decided to not renew my second hand license after I talked to my DOJ Field Rep who said it was not required to buy or sell used firearms; it was only required to consign or pawn firearms.

I then got a note from my LEO who handles Firearms Business Licenses in my county. He said my Second hand license was expiring and I needed to renew it as per his DOJ rep. I sent him a copy of the email I got from my DOJ rep saying I didn't need one. He raised the issue again with DOJ and upon checking, DOJ determined it was not required except for pawns, consignments, or trades. He said there was confusion in the code, but it was clarified by a (recent?) code change. He did not cite the reference.