Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-18-2017, 4:14 PM

There is a 17% approval rating according to the Sheriff's Office. Make sure you do a really good job with your good cause statement, get help if you can, don't write that you buy a lot of stuff on Craigslist and meet Shady people and Shady spots that's not going to work, don't lie about anything, and be the 17%.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
So what could we, the gun owners of CoCoCo, do to change these outrages laws and regulations? Or at least make a change?
Put up a candidate for the next election cycle. The next election is June 5, 2018; that's only eight months away.

I think last time David Livingstone ran unopposed. He's so strong in his conviction because he can get away with it.
"As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air — however slight — lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."

- William O. Douglas, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States
Old 09-23-2017, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerugers View Post
Put up a candidate for the next election cycle. The next election is June 5, 2018; that's only eight months away.

I think last time David Livingstone ran unopposed. He's so strong in his conviction because he can get away with it.
IIRC, the cutoff for candidates to register is the end of January: that's only 4 months away. And before that, they've got to lock in support of politicos in the county: local, state and even national representatives (e.g., mayors in the county, congressional reps in the county).

IOW, there is literally no time to spare.

220+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 09-23-2017, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
IIRC, the cutoff for candidates to register is the end of January: that's only 4 months away. And before that, they've got to lock in support of politicos in the county: local, state and even national representatives (e.g., mayors in the county, congressional reps in the county).

IOW, there is literally no time to spare.
So, you can see that democracy is badly impaired or almost non-existent in this example, and many others in this State. If a good alternative candidate steps forward, those of us who care and can, should pump some money into his/her campaign.

We've been disenfranchised because, in a democracy, there are clear choices offered to We The People. Not here.

Taxation without representation was the theme of the Boston Tea Party...just another way to say it.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 09-23-2017, 9:23 AM

What would be the competitor's platform positions that would A) overcome the incumbent advantage, and B) get you what you want

Sure you might be able to get a competitor elected who supports sanctuary cities, giving cops nerf guns etc, but that person is not going to give you CCW.

I thought I heard rumblings that there was another candidate for the next election.
Old 09-23-2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
What would be the competitor's platform positions that would A) overcome the incumbent advantage, and B) get you what you want
Doesn't seem that hard. Here is Sheriff Livingston's platform position; just fill in the blanks: It is my honor to serve you as Sheriff-Coroner of Contra Costa County. As the former Chief of Police for the City of (blank), (Contra Costa County's (blank) city) and as the former Chief of Police in (blank), I am in a unique position to bring my experience and commitment for public safety to the entire county. With your help we will continue to bring crime down, hold criminals in jail, actively monitor those on parole or probation, fight to keep our communities safe, and uphold Amendment II of the United States Constitution.
Old 09-24-2017, 1:09 AM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerugers View Post
Doesn't seem that hard. Here is Sheriff Livingston's platform position; just fill in the blanks: It is my honor to serve you as Sheriff-Coroner of Contra Costa County. As the former Chief of Police for the City of (blank), (Contra Costa County's (blank) city) and as the former Chief of Police in (blank), I am in a unique position to bring my experience and commitment for public safety to the entire county. With your help we will continue to bring crime down, hold criminals in jail, actively monitor those on parole or probation, fight to keep our communities safe, and uphold Amendment II of the United States Constitution.
You just got my vote....
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 09-25-2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
There is a 17% approval rating according to the Sheriff's Office. Make sure you do a really good job with your good cause statement, get help if you can, don't write that you buy a lot of stuff on Craigslist and meet Shady people and Shady spots that's not going to work, don't lie about anything, and be the 17%.
Thanks for the input, I hope my GC is good enough to be in the 17%.
Old 09-25-2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr23det View Post
Good luck, and may the 2nd be with you
Old 10-30-2017, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr23det View Post
updates?
I dont even have a speeding ticket but dont want to waste my time and $

Chickens

Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

PM me Wouxun 2M radio 4 Sale
Old 11-12-2017, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Looks like the sheriff's office has done a complete overhauled their website. It now has "CCW" beneath a small pistol symbol right on their homepage!
http://www.cocosheriff.org/

It links to a page with all the info about applying for a CCW.
http://www.cocosheriff.org/howdoi/ccw_permit.htm

The information on that page appears to be the same as on their 7 page application info .pdf:
http://www.cocosheriff.org/civicax/f...x?blobid=22733

I did not see any mention/info re. their Good Cause requirement. Perhaps someone in CoCoCo could contact them and post an update.

Quote:
For questions regarding the application process, contact:
Peter Enea, CCW Coordinator
Telephone: (925) 335-1547
Email: PEnea001@so.cccounty.us
I wonder if they're becoming less afraid of "Good Guys (and Gals!) with Guns"?

Old 11-12-2017, 3:48 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Emailed.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-12-2017, 4:50 PM

I hope for good news
Old 11-12-2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Emailed.
That's no fun for the rest of us here in CoCo. :-( Can't share publicly?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadagoose View Post
That's no fun for the rest of us here in CoCo. :-( Can't share publicly?

I believe he was stating that he emailed the sheriff's office to get more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 11-12-2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I believe he was stating that he emailed the sheriff's office to get more information.
Ah, makes sense.

Old 11-12-2017, 6:56 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, sorry - immediately above my post was Paladin's posting of the contact email.

I thought 'Emailed' would be sufficient for 'thanks for the contact info, I sent email'

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Old 11-12-2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Ah, sorry - immediately above my post was Paladin's posting of the contact email.

I thought 'Emailed' would be sufficient for 'thanks for the contact info, I sent email'
Just me reading on my phone and not noticing the whole picture.

Old 11-13-2017, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Looks like the sheriff's office has done a complete overhauled their website. It now has "CCW" beneath a small pistol symbol right on their homepage!
http://www.cocosheriff.org/

It links to a page with all the info about applying for a CCW.
http://www.cocosheriff.org/howdoi/ccw_permit.htm

The information on that page appears to be the same as on their 7 page application info .pdf:
http://www.cocosheriff.org/civicax/f...x?blobid=22733

I did not see any mention/info re. their Good Cause requirement. Perhaps someone in CoCoCo could contact them and post an update.

I wonder if they're becoming less afraid of "Good Guys (and Gals!) with Guns"?
Thank you for sharing this info. At first it seemed encouraging. But then I realized that this Sheriff surely has not changed his anti-2A posture. As one who applied and was rejected with no reason, nothing adverse at all, other than the supposed failure to show good cause, I am not encouraged by this.

It is astonishing that it even mentions psychological testing in order to enjoy your Constitutional rights. Can't imagine the logic with that. It implies that, if they think the applicant has psych problems, they'll get him/her tested. Then if he/she passes the shrink test.....then what? Is this raising false expectations? (I have no psych problems and never had....just curious.)

By the way, when you do the electronic fingerprint scan, you are going to have to disclose your social security number in an insecure environment. Thus you are exposed to identity theft by the process itself.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 11-13-2017, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Default And the reply...

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry. “Good cause” is required by statute for a police chief or sheriff to issue a concealed weapons permit. The concept of “good cause” has also been the subject of extensive litigation in decisional law.

I handle the paperwork for permits but I am not involved in the decision on issuance of a permit. Sheriff Livingston personally considers if sufficient good cause exists to issue a permit for each application.

Thank you,
Pete Enea
So, no obvious policy change.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
I handle the paperwork for permits but I am not involved in the decision on issuance of a permit. Sheriff Livingston personally considers if sufficient good cause exists to issue a permit for each application.
Subjective decisionmaking, not based upon an objective standard for Good Cause? If someone really wants a CoCoCo CCW, best to use the old "Billy Jack" approach of PRAs (backed by CBS v. Block), Salute v. Pitchess and Guillory v. Gates/County of Orange looking for possible 14th A Equal Protection violations (e.g., a "relaxed" standard for CCWers who are "Posse" members, "Friends of the Sheriff", donors to the sheriff's political campaign, etc).

Well, at least with "CCW" being out there front and center on their homepage, more folks who do qualify under the sheriff's restrictive policy will actually apply and get issued. More CCWers is always a "good thing." They may come across a BG before that BG crosses our paths.

Last edited by Paladin; 11-13-2017 at 12:36 PM..
Old 11-13-2017, 1:38 PM

Quote:
In other words, in the reign of Sheriff Livingston, the 2nd Amendment exists only if, as, and when he bestows it on an individual of his choosing; only to those he chooses to favor. A disrespectful view of our Constitution.

Old 11-13-2017, 4:54 PM
Stoopid American Redneck™
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
It is astonishing that it even mentions psychological testing in order to enjoy your Constitutional rights. Can't imagine the logic with that. It implies that, if they think the applicant has psych problems, they'll get him/her tested. Then if he/she passes the shrink test.....then what? Is this raising false expectations? (I have no psych problems and never had....just curious.)
Keep in mind that they are quoting the actual Penal Code, since that is where the option for the IA to use psych testing originates.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 11-14-2017, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Keep in mind that they are quoting the actual Penal Code, since that is where the option for the IA to use psych testing originates.
So, under this scenario, some sort of psychological "practitioner" will, in effect, decide some people's constitutional rights.

I will admit that, since most mass shootings are committed by either nut cases or Muslims, maybe there's some merit to the idea.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
So, under this scenario, some sort of psychological "practitioner" will, in effect, decide some people's constitutional rights.

I will admit that, since most mass shootings are committed by either nut cases or Muslims, maybe there's some merit to the idea.
I think it is Monterey Co that changed to SD = GC a few years ago on their own (new sheriff), but he required a psych eval from every initial applicant. IOW, he had no problem with "Good Guys with Guns", but he wanted to make sure you really were a GG before issuing. Personally, I have no problem with that, and if that's what it takes to get a county to "go green" on the map (and me get issued), I'm all for it.

Sonoma tired doing that (SD = GC but with psych eval) and to pass along the cost of the psych eval to the applicant, but the NRA threatened to sue the sheriff/county because that was against the law (which limited the cost of psych evals to less than the county would charge). I still think that was a dumb move on the NRA's part. Better to get a LOT of people issued, then (1) the sheriff would get comfortable with issuing with SD = GC, (2) the local media would see that, like everywhere else that's Shall Issue/SD = GC, there's no "blood in the streets" shootouts over fender-benders and parking spaces, and (3) that base of CCWers would bring political pressure on the sheriff to lower the cost of the psych eval or eliminate it. Plus, IIRC, it too was only for initial applicants, not renewals, so it was a one-time cost.

ETA: For newbies, here's "the map" I was referring to.

Last edited by Paladin; 11-14-2017 at 10:32 AM..