Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 05-23-2016, 8:05 PM

Default WA State

Walked into Kitsap County Sheriff substation in Silverdale Monday the 16th at around 9. I had the forms filled out and ready. No one was in line, so I handed over my forms, showed ID and waited for her to enter everything into the computer. After verifying she had everything correct I addressed an envelope to myself, that she provided. Then I handed over my credit card (2 dollars extra for using plastic), she ran it and then called me back for finger printed. She finished that quickly and sent me on my way, telling me they have up to 60 days to process my app.

Total time door to door was 8 minutes.

My WA out of state CCW arrived Friday the 20th.

They also told me it is okay for me to carry one of my daughter's guns when I fly into town so I don't have to hassle with TSA bringing my own. Very friendly folks up there.
Old 05-24-2016, 7:01 AM

Good to hear. The Silverdale sub-station is where my renewal CCWs were processed. Very convenient and professional. Much easier to go here than travel over to the main Sheriff's office at the County Seat in Port Orchard.
Old 06-11-2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageDUG View Post
Walked into Kitsap County Sheriff substation in Silverdale Monday the 16th at around 9. I had the forms filled out and ready. No one was in line, so I handed over my forms, showed ID and waited for her to enter everything into the computer. After verifying she had everything correct I addressed an envelope to myself, that she provided. Then I handed over my credit card (2 dollars extra for using plastic), she ran it and then called me back for finger printed. She finished that quickly and sent me on my way, telling me they have up to 60 days to process my app.

Total time door to door was 8 minutes.

My WA out of state CCW arrived Friday the 20th.

They also told me it is okay for me to carry one of my daughter's guns when I fly into town so I don't have to hassle with TSA bringing my own. Very friendly folks up there.
Congrats!

I was wondering if you did this as a non-washington state resident. Would you happen to know if they're friendly to CA residents?
Old 06-12-2016, 2:48 AM
CGN Contributor

Way to go VintageDug.. Carry safe .
Old 06-12-2016, 2:51 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNinja View Post
Congrats!

I was wondering if you did this as a non-washington state resident. Would you happen to know if they're friendly to CA residents?
They are super friendly to CA residents, got mine in Clark county couple years ago. Smooth & wonderful experience.
Old 06-12-2016, 8:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up Smooth & wonderful experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best sale View Post

They are super friendly to CA residents,

got mine in Clark county couple years ago.

Smooth & wonderful experience.
They treat you like an adult. The lines are short and the people are friendly. Reminds you of California in the 60's.

You'd think they like people and their jobs...

It goes so smooth, you might even consider moving there...
Old 06-12-2016, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
They treat you like an adult. The lines are short and the people are friendly. Reminds you of California in the 60's.

You'd think they like people and their jobs...

It goes so smooth, you might even consider moving there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best sale View Post
They are super friendly to CA residents, got mine in Clark county couple years ago. Smooth & wonderful experience.

Thanks you two for the confo! Looking forward for applying!
Old 07-12-2016, 8:42 AM

Due to recent increase in applicants the King's County Downtown location now requires you to show up before 2pm for new applicants and before 4pm for renewals. Still no appointment needed. 60 day wait for Non-resident applicants. Hardly an inconvenience compared to CA.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/sher...vices/gun.aspx
Quote:
Effective December 9, 2015 for the downtown courthouse location:
Due to an increased volume of requests for CPLs and other fingerprinting services, you are asked to arrive by 2pm at the downtown Seattle courthouse location for any original CPL application and any other fingerprint services. Please arrive by 4pm if you need a replacement or renewal CPL. Please note, for fingerprint services (whether for a CPL or other reasons) wait times may exceed two hours. Thank you for your patience..
Quote:
The Sheriff’s Office is able to process Concealed Pistol License applications for Out-of-State residents. Applicants must appear in person at the King County Courthouse in downtown Seattle. The requirements are the same as with Original Concealed Pistol Licenses, and the fee is also $50.75. The waiting period to receive the Concealed Pistol License for non-residents is 60 days, and will be mailed once approved.
Old 07-14-2016, 8:15 PM

Mason county processed me in 10 minutes and got the permit the next day.
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
We have the time and the hammers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown
Study and learn our history and law as it is -- not as you would like it to be.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Wow, that's fast! Did you need an appointment?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:54 AM

No appointment. Walked in and waited for the sex offender in front of me to go away. Done.
Old 08-22-2016, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Are you Washington Resident or out of state? How did you get the permit next day, they mailed it or you went and picked it up?
Old 08-22-2016, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not to thread Jack but I literally just flew back from Belfair WA.

Spoke to a few sheriffs that have nothing but positive to say about CCW and residents.
Old 08-24-2016, 4:33 PM

I'm a CA resident. My parents live in Bellingham. At this point in life I've gone through Bellingham PD (when they lived inside city limits) and through Whatcom county sheriff (when they lived outside the city). PD is a walk in process, Sheriff requires an appointment (but call often anyhow, they are super friendly). They have up to 60 days to process a non-resident. When I went with the PD it was roughly 10 years ago and it took almost took the full 60. I went with the Sheriff in May of this year and the permit was in my hand in less than 2 weeks. I'm guessing they just improved the processing of applications. It took myself and my parents all getting fingerprinted a total of 15 minutes at the Sheriff.

All that aside, I usually take 2-3 pistols and a rifle to visit my family (they have enough land to shoot in the back yard, so we get to run a lot of fun drills), and TSA never gives me a hard time. Generally the guys inspecting the weapons have a genuine interest in them as well and are more than willing to have a fun conversation about them.

Most problems can be solved with the proper application of explosives.
Old 10-06-2017, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Went to Seattle for work this week. Stopped in the courthouse downtown to drop off my application, in and out in 10 minutes, said I'll have it in 60 days.
Old 10-06-2017, 5:44 PM

Looked at my CCW phone app, and WA still gets you fewer states than AZ or UT. And with UT, you get WA, 30 day turnaround.

Is there any benefit to getting a WA-specific permit for a CA resident?

Good to know that it's very easy to acquire, though.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 10-06-2017 at 5:56 PM..
Old 10-07-2017, 5:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just did it because I was up there. We do a lot of work in WA, and my folks still live up here.

Looks to me like AZ+WA get you the same as AZ+UT.

The gentleman behind the counter already had the permit printed, filled out and signed before they fingerprinted me, I would imagine that as soon as you are cleared, they will mail it; it just stated they have up to 60 days to issue, not that they will take the whole 60 days.

ETA: I guess unless you travel to WA frequently, it probably has no benefit over UT; as you have to apply, and renew in person.

Last edited by ajb78; 10-08-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 PM

I have UT and ID (enhanced) both of which gets me WA. But I still got my WA so I do not have to depend or reciprocity. My WA was issued by the Spokane PD. Very easy and only $48.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
I have UT and ID (enhanced) both of which gets me WA. But I still got my WA so I do not have to depend or reciprocity. My WA was issued by the Spokane PD. Very easy and only $48.
Did my WA in Seattle years ago, couldn't have been easier or more pleasant.

We travel there often and I can carry my latest CCW acquisition without needing to formally qualify with it first...
Old 11-13-2017, 3:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
Looked at my CCW phone app, and WA still gets you fewer states than AZ or UT. And with UT, you get WA, 30 day turnaround.

Is there any benefit to getting a WA-specific permit for a CA resident?

Good to know that it's very easy to acquire, though.
state specific permits deal with allowing in school zone kinda things.
not sure about was state but nev a out of state is no-go while a state issued is good to go.

but if possable better to have one than not. kinda shows the states that do not issue you are a good guy, and helps with getting a fed mandate to all state to hourner any permit from any state..
Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 AM

While not advocating breaking the law, and acknowledging BATFE's position, can you cite cases where one was prosecuted for crossing a school zone on a reciprocal permit?

There are defects in the constitutionality of the Federal GFSZ law and it might be declared void on appeal to SCOTUS post-Lopez, which is one possible reason it is not actively enforced. Specifically that a case like United States v Nieves-Castaņo directly contravenes Heller, makes the law suspect. That was not a carry case, but it's not the only defect. LEOSA also offers no protection against the act. Neither does defending your life, a clear interpretation of the 2A, gets a pass as discharge is only permitted by LEO in official capacity in the school zone.

If you don't believe me, ask how in a constitutional carry state, like Vermont without any permitting apparatus, there are no GFSZA prosecutions, and that people aren't committing violations of the GFSZ act regularly.

I had heard some states are looking at changing their laws so that reciprocal permits and constitutional carry was "licensed" in the sense that it removed the violation of the GFSZA. Don't have time right now to google it.

ETA: can't find any info on states adopting a "licensed" language law.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 11-13-2017 at 6:58 PM..
Old 11-15-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
While not advocating breaking the law, and acknowledging BATFE's position, can you cite cases where one was prosecuted for crossing a school zone on a reciprocal permit?

There are defects in the constitutionality of the Federal GFSZ law and it might be declared void on appeal to SCOTUS post-Lopez, which is one possible reason it is not actively enforced. Specifically that a case like United States v Nieves-Castaņo directly contravenes Heller, makes the law suspect. That was not a carry case, but it's not the only defect. LEOSA also offers no protection against the act. Neither does defending your life, a clear interpretation of the 2A, gets a pass as discharge is only permitted by LEO in official capacity in the school zone.

If you don't believe me, ask how in a constitutional carry state, like Vermont without any permitting apparatus, there are no GFSZA prosecutions, and that people aren't committing violations of the GFSZ act regularly.

I had heard some states are looking at changing their laws so that reciprocal permits and constitutional carry was "licensed" in the sense that it removed the violation of the GFSZA. Don't have time right now to google it.

ETA: can't find any info on states adopting a "licensed" language law.
To answer your first question: No. In my case it was as much a concern that reciprocity laws could change. Besides it was easy and relatively inexpensive.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Is the WA state permit an actual piece of paper that you laminate, or is it one of these high tech ones w/ the hologram?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:30 PM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

Just some of the GFSZA prosecutions, for those who don't believe they happen:

United States v Danks (1999) USA v. Jordan Danks

United States v Tait (2000) (Attempted prosecution of an Alabama permit holder) 202 F3d 1320 United States v. Tait | OpenJurist

United States v Haywood (2003) UNITED STATES of America v. Ira HAYWOOD, Appellant.

United States v Dorsey (2005) (Upheld the revised law as constitutional) UNITED STATES of America, Plaintiff-Appellee, v. Nikos Delano DORSEY, Defendant-Appellant.

United States v Smith (2005) USA v. Smith This case says that the mere movement of the gun's component parts in Interstate Commerce is enough to satisfy the jurisdictional element needed for conviction.

United States v Nieves-Castaņo (2007) UNITED STATES of America, Appellee, v. Belen NIEVES-CASTAŅO, Defendant, Appellant. A woman was convicted for having a gun in her home; which happened to be within 1000ft of a school.

United States v Weekes (2007) [UNITED]UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v. PHINEHAS WEEKES, Appellant STATES OF AMERICA v. PHINEHAS WEEKES[/url]

United States v Benally (2007) http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-10th-circuit/1364658.html

United States v Cruz-Rodriguez (2008) Untitled #1668141

The Tait conviction was overturned only because he had a carry permit issued by the state where the school zone was located.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal.../1100/2520139/

And that was in Alabama, a very gun friendly state. Don't think that just because your state is gun friendly, these things don't happen. And don't think that just because you don't hear about them, that they don't happen.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-17-2017 at 11:33 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 1:25 AM

Yes, they do happen, if you break the law in other ways and get caught carrying in the school zone.

My point was that the courts have not weighed in on whether BATFE's view is correct and reciprocity doesn't obviate the licensing language of the GFSZA.
Old 11-20-2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
Is the WA state permit an actual piece of paper that you laminate, or is it one of these high tech ones w/ the hologram?
It is just a piece of paper without a photo. I suppose that I could laminate it but have not done so. The ID enhanced is high tech.
Old 11-20-2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Just some of the GFSZA prosecutions, for those who don't believe they happen:

United States v Danks (1999) USA v. Jordan Danks

United States v Tait (2000) (Attempted prosecution of an Alabama permit holder) 202 F3d 1320 United States v. Tait | OpenJurist

United States v Haywood (2003) UNITED STATES of America v. Ira HAYWOOD, Appellant.

United States v Dorsey (2005) (Upheld the revised law as constitutional) UNITED STATES of America, Plaintiff-Appellee, v. Nikos Delano DORSEY, Defendant-Appellant.

United States v Smith (2005) USA v. Smith This case says that the mere movement of the gun's component parts in Interstate Commerce is enough to satisfy the jurisdictional element needed for conviction.

United States v Nieves-Castaņo (2007) UNITED STATES of America, Appellee, v. Belen NIEVES-CASTAŅO, Defendant, Appellant. A woman was convicted for having a gun in her home; which happened to be within 1000ft of a school.

United States v Weekes (2007) [UNITED]UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v. PHINEHAS WEEKES, Appellant STATES OF AMERICA v. PHINEHAS WEEKES[/url]

United States v Benally (2007) http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-10th-circuit/1364658.html

United States v Cruz-Rodriguez (2008) Untitled #1668141

The Tait conviction was overturned only because he had a carry permit issued by the state where the school zone was located.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal.../1100/2520139/

And that was in Alabama, a very gun friendly state. Don't think that just because your state is gun friendly, these things don't happen. And don't think that just because you don't hear about them, that they don't happen.
Thanks for the post. I would have guessed that it probably never happened. So the $48 I paid to the Spokane PD could end up saving me a bundle, should I happen to be stopped in a WA school zone while carrying.