Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-16-2014, 3:06 PM
Banned

Default Much harder look at the CMMG AR-22 bolt conversion kit for SHTF (review w/pics)

After getting off to a rocky start with a bad CMMG magazine (HORRIBLE customer service-8 calls to get one mag replaced and they lost the returned mag and told me tough luck) I wanted to test different ammo for accuracy.

I have heard the rumours that the 5.56 barrel does not have the correct 1/16 twist needed to stabilize and accurately shoot the 22LR projectile. I can tell you now that if the folks that own the cmmg kit did not test all ammo available they might just think the kit shoots "minute of torso" as I did with my first test.

I was actually happy with the first test results after getting Black Dog magazines to replace the faulty CMMG (did I mention how terrible their customer service was, 8 calls, 8 excuses) magazine. The "kit" ran flawlessly with all ammo tested. The second test was performed solely for "function" and not for accuracy. I was blasting through magazines with different kinds of ammo trying to produce a jam. I was not able to do so until I got to the M22 ammo. The gun/kit just did not like the M22 ammo (kit with less than 200rds through it, bolt ran wet). I would say to be safe this kit needs a minimum of 400rds pumped though it to know how reliable it is in your gun.

The third trip to the range (Burro) we placed the targets at 50yds. I forgot to bring my bag rests so I was forced to stand the gun on the cmmg 30rd magazine bottom and aim at the target with a 3.5x Acog and gun wobbling all over. I would say the up/down-Left/right shaky movement to be in the 1" or more area. I did not have a stable target rest or platform.

All ammo ran 100% including the M22. The bolt now has about 500rds through it. I did not clean it from the last shoot nor did I lube it. I ran the bolt dry to see what would happen and if it would cause a malfunction. I actually think the bolt preferred running dry to running wet. At least running dry all ammo including the M22 ran 100% with 300+ rds fired and not one single hiccup.

I want to add one more thing. My rifle was self built using the best parts including a Raineer Ultra match barrel (16", Mid, 1/8 twist, Wylde chamber). Maybe the 1/8 twist barrel has something to do with the great groups shot by the CCI?

This gun could be used for hunting and survival purposes at this point as it is highly accurate and 100% reliable.

Ok so on to the test. Ammo fired was:

50 yards, 10rds, CMMG bolt, CMMG 10-30 magazine

One thing to notice. I did not "sight in" the gun for 22LR I left it zero'd for 5.56 55gr. The CCI had the least amount of drop and stayed centered with all other ammo shifting to the left and had more drop.

1.) Wolf Match-- 2.5" 10 rd group
2.) M22-- 4.0" group
3.) Aquila Gold--4.5" +/- (off paper so not sure how big this group got, just guessing)
4.) CCI Velocitor-- ** 1.25" (**with shaky rest and gun was moving all over the place, 3.5x Acog) ( With 15x scope and sandbags I am sure I could cut this group in half)
5.) Federal Champion-- Worst 6.0" group

Last edited by problemchild; 03-16-2014 at 5:49 PM..
Old 03-16-2014, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks.... I love mine but leave it dedicated to the AR and just don't switch out any more. I could but ARs were so cheap it was easier just to get another.
Old 03-16-2014, 7:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

This video convinced me to get a CMMG 22 conversion kit.
I have a dedicated 22lr CMMG upper for my son.
The conversion kit is for me. Glad I bought it. Runs flawless with Black Dog mags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNT-5OnT0w
Old 03-17-2014, 6:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for a great range report, PC!
Old 03-17-2014, 2:51 PM

Nice write up! I hope mine will perform well. Question, what trigger are you running? I've had a bugger of a time with my kit and the timney trigger.
Old 03-17-2014, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Where did you get your replacement mags at? I had a link to a site that had them for cheap but I have since lost that.
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 03-17-2014, 4:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzen View Post
Nice write up! I hope mine will perform well. Question, what trigger are you running? I've had a bugger of a time with my kit and the timney trigger.
Im running a G 3gun trigger
Old 03-17-2014, 4:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Where did you get your replacement mags at? I had a link to a site that had them for cheap but I have since lost that.
Best mags made
Old 03-17-2014, 9:39 PM

Have you had a chance to clean your rifle yet? I'm wondering how much dirtier the 22lr is running versus 5.56.

My 22lr rifles and pistols run real dirty from action to muzzle and I would be concerned with dumping the extra carbon into the gas system especially at the gas block. The higher pressure of the 5.56 has the ability to push carbon build up out of the gas block and tube during normal use but a few hundred rounds of 22lr might cause malfunctions.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 03-18-2014, 5:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badreligion View Post
Have you had a chance to clean your rifle yet? I'm wondering how much dirtier the 22lr is running versus 5.56.

My 22lr rifles and pistols run real dirty from action to muzzle and I would be concerned with dumping the extra carbon into the gas system especially at the gas block. The higher pressure of the 5.56 has the ability to push carbon build up out of the gas block and tube during normal use but a few hundred rounds of 22lr might cause malfunctions.
I have a Ciener kit and after a hundred rounds my A2 action is absolutely filthy. It still functions fine but it is a pain to clean. I stopped using the kit and just shoot my 795 for plinking. Easier to clean.
Old 03-19-2014, 6:53 AM

Adding a CMMG conversion bolt to my supplies gave me much more flexibility in what I may need to pack out or carry in different types of situations... as well as alignment with calibers carried by family. In my BCM upper (1:7) the accuracy is certainly not as great as a dedicated platform, but my goal was flexibility and options at my disposal, and in some cases just being able to throw lead down range at reasonable accuracy (love the "minute of torso" reference).

CG member Shadow65 (Dave) is a great resource of information on the topic.
Old 03-19-2014, 8:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My Ciener bolt runs fine and rather clean. It's fast to wipe it off and re-lube. The bore is always clean now that it's broken in. I do spray the innards of the upper with Slip 2000 de-greaser to clean off the powder scum with a paper towel, lube the rails and go. Much faster and easier than cleaning a AR BCG. Much easier to clean than my Colt .22LR M4 too. That gun doesn't get used much anymore.

I did remove the bolt from the rail and polished the slide rails and feed ramps. I also polished the bore with a .22LR wire brush. Smooth as butter now. It's very accurate in my 20" 1/9 AR.