Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2011, 3:10 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default Ar15 failure to feed???

Ok so employee/friend of mine has an ar tofay at the range hed load a mag chamber shoot then go to fire round #2 and the round never left the mag. Brought it by my house I took it out back tried a different mag that I know for a fact is good and same thing. Yes a tapped the mag to make sure it was seated properly also fyi if you manually pull back the charging handle it loads perfect. Any ideas?
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2011, 4:29 PM
dieselpower's Avatar
dieselpower dieselpower is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ventura
Posts: 10,386
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

clogged gas tube..gas tube upside down...mis-aligned gas port...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2011, 4:30 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
clogged gas tube..gas tube upside down...mis-aligned gas port...
Its ejecting the spent round just cant load the second in.
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2011, 4:34 PM
dieselpower's Avatar
dieselpower dieselpower is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ventura
Posts: 10,386
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

ok... ummm short stroking. what buffer weight? still could be a mis-aligned gas port or a loose gas key on the BCG
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2011, 4:45 PM
jcoenenberg's Avatar
jcoenenberg jcoenenberg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manteca,CA
Posts: 240
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

What kind of feedramp does he have M4 style
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2011, 4:55 PM
b.faust's Avatar
b.faust b.faust is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,575
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I'd do process of elimination.

Put your upper on his lower and see if it still has the problem (probably buffer or buffer spring issue)

If it doesn't then probably gas system issue.
__________________
______________________________________
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/donate

DONATE TODAY!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2011, 5:00 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.faust View Post
I'd do process of elimination.

Put your upper on his lower and see if it still has the problem (probably buffer or buffer spring issue)

If it doesn't then probably gas system issue.
Lol I only have AK's 5 to be exact 1 ruger 10/22 an sks a saiga 308 a marlin 3030 a m1 carbine none of my lowers will fit lol and if they did I wouldnt wanna shoot it. Im gonna get some pics tonite of the ramp im gonna check gas tube.
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2011, 5:32 PM
pyro3k2's Avatar
pyro3k2 pyro3k2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,650
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Spec of the rifle would go a long way. If it's a carbine length gas system on a carbine buffer my money would be on a buffer weight/ammo pressure combo. If it's a full size 20" rifle then the gas tube and gas key would be the first places I would look.
__________________
But I being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softely, because you tread on my dreams.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2011, 8:10 PM
Norsemen308's Avatar
Norsemen308 Norsemen308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orange county
Posts: 1,917
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

i probably could leave a response, if your post was readable.... I even handed it to my 4 year old niece.... she couldnt translate...
__________________
Happiness is a WARM AR
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2011, 8:13 PM
CK_32's Avatar
CK_32 CK_32 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,277
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

id say feed ramps.. check and make sure the AR is clean.. if they are make sure he has M4 feed ramps..

and work on spelling... haha your spellings almost as bad as mine
__________________
For Sale: 40 S&W Bullet Case Valve Stem Caps

What's Your Caliber??


My Youtube channel
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-14-2011, 8:43 PM
Ron-Solo's Avatar
Ron-Solo Ron-Solo is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Guns may not malfunction due to bad grammar and a lack of punctuation, but it certainly makes it hard to figure out what happened.
__________________
LASD Retired
1978-2011




If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-14-2011, 9:22 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsemen308 View Post
i probably could leave a response, if your post was readable.... I even handed it to my 4 year old niece.... she couldnt translate...
Well thanks apparently others can read it so my little mispelling due to using a touch phone means you cant leave a response no prob next time dont respond at all. Good day to you too.
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-14-2011, 9:31 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Its a 20in armalite upper.
I blew smoke down the barrel, smoke came out the gas tube so thats not blocked.
I cleaned it real good test fired again and same thing.
Just gonna have him take it somewhere.
Also sorry for the lack of punctuation. Im typing from a phone also its not my gun so was trying to hurry. To be honest thats why I have AK's aint gotta worry bout this crap but some fan boy at the range told him ar was the best and bla bla bla well he now has the best half @ss'd functioning rifle.
Disclaimer im not saying all AR's are half @ss'd just alot of em. Good day to all of you who left good advice.
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-14-2011, 9:46 PM
dieselpower's Avatar
dieselpower dieselpower is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ventura
Posts: 10,386
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoenenberg View Post
What kind of feedramp does he have M4 style
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
id say feed ramps.. check and make sure the AR is clean.. if they are make sure he has M4 feed ramps..

and work on spelling... haha your spellings almost as bad as mine
how in the heck do ramps stop a BCG from loading a round...
you both lose 1 point for drug use...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-14-2011, 9:47 PM
pyro3k2's Avatar
pyro3k2 pyro3k2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,650
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Its a 20in armalite upper.
I blew smoke down the barrel, smoke came out the gas tube so thats not blocked.
I cleaned it real good test fired again and same thing.
Just gonna have him take it somewhere.
Also sorry for the lack of punctuation. Im typing from a phone also its not my gun so was trying to hurry. To be honest thats why I have AK's aint gotta worry bout this crap but some fan boy at the range told him ar was the best and bla bla bla well he now has the best half @ss'd functioning rifle.
Disclaimer im not saying all AR's are half @ss'd just alot of em. Good day to all of you who left good advice.
How old is this armalite upper? They are not known for making a half *** AR's and even though I my self am in the AK camp, im going to have to jump on that one. If it's an older rifle and the gas tube is not obstructed then the next place I would look is the ammo. If the ammo is new to the rifle then I would say stick to what it likes and not buy that brand for his AR again. If the ammo is the same as it's always been feed, next would be the gas key on the BCG they do come loose even the stacked ones from time to time. If this is a newer armalite upper I would send it back for repairs no need to stress over something that warrenty covers.
__________________
But I being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softely, because you tread on my dreams.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-14-2011, 10:05 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro3k2 View Post
How old is this armalite upper? They are not known for making a half *** AR's and even though I my self am in the AK camp, im going to have to jump on that one. If it's an older rifle and the gas tube is not obstructed then the next place I would look is the ammo. If the ammo is new to the rifle then I would say stick to what it likes and not buy that brand for his AR again. If the ammo is the same as it's always been feed, next would be the gas key on the BCG they do come loose even the stacked ones from time to time. If this is a newer armalite upper I would send it back for repairs no need to stress over something that warrenty covers.
Yeah its a true armalite upper newer its been firing this ammo put away for a month and brought back out again.
I know the brand armalite is suppose to be great but from what im seeing its worse than half @ss'd. If one of my ak's did this crap id bash it til it was unrecognizable.
Side note, his ar is very very very accurate.
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 PM
HK Dave's Avatar
HK Dave HK Dave is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rowland Heights, CA
Posts: 4,790
iTrader: 63 / 100%
Default

Not sure if you mentioned it... but did you try a different BCG? Or that BCG on a different rifle?

One time, we had the same problem with my buddies rifle... the bcg went bad but we couldnt figure out how...

The rifle became a single shot and would not load the next round...

We sent it in to BCM and they found a primer inside the gas key.
__________________
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Lol I will have him check the gas key tomorrow thanks bud.
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
b.faust's Avatar
b.faust b.faust is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,575
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Twice now in the last year I've seen this caused by people having the wrong length buffer spring. It's a quick thing to check (and a cheap thing to fix)

Good luck. I always learn a ton when I have to troubleshoot.
__________________
______________________________________
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/donate

DONATE TODAY!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Nathan Krynn's Avatar
Nathan Krynn Nathan Krynn is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,069
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Make sure it is lubed properly.

Most of the time I see customers with guns that they havnt messed with in a while and it does this the BCG is not lubed at all and does this exact thing.
__________________
Nathan
Tactical Machining
1270 Biscayne Blvd
Deland, FL 32724
Phone 386-490-4464
fax 386-490-4890
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 AM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.faust View Post
Twice now in the last year I've seen this caused by people having the wrong length buffer spring. It's a quick thing to check (and a cheap thing to fix)

Good luck. I always learn a ton when I have to troubleshoot.
Thanks bud.
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
morfeeis's Avatar
morfeeis morfeeis is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Freeman in Mesa AZ
Posts: 7,561
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Yeah its a true armalite upper newer its been firing this ammo put away for a month and brought back out again.
I know the brand armalite is suppose to be great but from what im seeing its worse than half @ss'd. If one of my ak's did this crap id bash it til it was unrecognizable.
Side note, his ar is very very very accurate.
so just to be clear

The AR use to fire just fine 1 month ago using the same ammo, same buffer tube and spring? Nothing has been changed since it use to work just fine?
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayn Rand View Post
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
so just to be clear

The AR use to fire just fine 1 month ago using the same ammo, same buffer tube and spring? Nothing has been changed since it use to work just fine?
he switched out his collapsible stock for a fixed m16 style stock.
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-15-2011, 1:07 PM
Spaceghost Spaceghost is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 5,526
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

The exact same thing I was wondering. I know it is a silly question, but yesterday at the range I asked several people if their AR's were lubed and I got weird look as the answer to question...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Krynn View Post
Make sure it is lubed properly.

Most of the time I see customers with guns that they havnt messed with in a while and it does this the BCG is not lubed at all and does this exact thing.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-15-2011, 1:19 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Lol nah it was lubed real good.
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-15-2011, 3:30 PM
Shellshocker66's Avatar
Shellshocker66 Shellshocker66 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,774
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
he switched out his collapsible stock for a fixed m16 style stock.
If that is the only thing he has changed in the last month, then have him revert back to the collapsible stock and see what happens.
__________________
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony



Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-15-2011, 5:27 PM
NorCalK9.com's Avatar
NorCalK9.com NorCalK9.com is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 3,967
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

Lol he got rid of it
__________________
K.N.P.V. line malinois.
Like my AR but LOVE myAK
https://m.facebook.com/NorCal-K-9-137536682986716/
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:12 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.