Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 08-16-2018, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Hunting Yotes for the first time tomorrow

We have a LOT of them around these hills. I got my decoy and call and Im going to head out in the morning. Any tips? Best time of day?
Old 08-16-2018, 9:05 PM

Mornings & evenings are best, but mid day could be good too. Pay attention to the wind!
Old 08-16-2018, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Donít silhouette yourself. Get right up to a tree or bush.
Old 08-17-2018, 9:45 AM

Well give us an update on how it went. I do it all the time, its great for the times of year when nothing is in season. Not saying I am good at it but I do it a lot. The big tips would be where ever you set up make sure of the wind. I try to get to an area where they couldn't come in down wind of me due to the terrain. Do not skyline yourself, I like to sit in front of a big bush and I keep my rifle on my shooting stick at all times to limit the movement. If you are using a hand call this is even more important. They will locate the noise of the call and the movement easier and not come in. If you are using a e-call move it 50 yards away so they don't spot movement as easy. I typically give each stand 20 minutes, they don't always come charging in right away.

Hopefully you had fun, even if you didn't see a coyote. Look for signs while out and try those areas later. Keep working at it.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well guess they are all in the neighborhoods lol. We've had a ton of them around here but I head to the hills and notta haha.

I did see a TON of Antelope, and called one big male in. I couldnt get to my cell phone camera soon enough but he was grunting at me from about 50 yards away. Big rack too!

Oh well, on the way out I snapped a pic of his female. Guess Ill try again soon. Crazy to think we have so many Antelope 20 min from the house.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Don’t always go to what you think is the absolute best spot. Chances are lots of other hunters have called yotes their before. I do better in oddball spots that have less pressure.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:04 PM

Put your call at cross wind. If they circle down wind you may still have a shot. If your call has a remote make sure it is well away from you so they head there not to you. Have a blast and move your eyes not your head. Gilly suit!!
Old 08-17-2018, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason233 View Post
Put your call at cross wind. If they circle down wind you may still have a shot. If your call has a remote make sure it is well away from you so they head there not to you. Have a blast and move your eyes not your head. Gilly suit!!
Im going to buy a new call. No winds this morning. I might go again tonight after I get some work today.

Maybe Ill stop at sportsmans on the way home.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Donít always go to what you think is the absolute best spot. Chances are lots of other hunters have called yotes their before. I do better in oddball spots that have less pressure.
Man I dunno theres no one ever back there. But I guess someone could be hitting them. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-17-2018, 12:27 PM

There’s always a little wind get a wind checker bottle while at sportsman warehouse. It’s a small bottle of powder you puff into the air and watch which way it drifts.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Deadon remember Costco Roseville 5 star Blvd? Watched a yote walk right down the street headed towards Harbor Freight. No one seemed to care. Good hunting to you.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucky View Post
Deadon remember Costco Roseville 5 star Blvd? Watched a yote walk right down the street headed towards Harbor Freight. No one seemed to care. Good hunting to you.
Woah thats nuts! Thats a busy area. Maybe he got lost coming from Wheatland lol
Old 08-17-2018, 1:01 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucky View Post
I live within about 5 minutes of there. Not that surprised I suppose. I did see a yote, one morning when I was going SB on 65. It was on the west side of 65 in those open fields, basically across the freeway from Sprouts/Costco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 08-17-2018, 1:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
I live within about 5 minutes of there. Not that surprised I suppose. I did see a yote, one morning when I was going SB on 65. It was on the west side of 65 in those open fields, basically across the freeway from Sprouts/Costco.
Guess they just adapt or are looking for a easy meal.
Old 08-17-2018, 1:40 PM

Start using the call at low volume. Increase the volume over time. When you see a yote adjust your volume down as it approaches.
Old 08-18-2018, 8:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well bought a call and it sounds perfect. Now if I could get the yotes to agree with me.
Im betting these guys are hanging close to the homes. I went back out last night and had no sign. Just more Antelope lol.
Old 08-18-2018, 9:55 AM

Keep at it. I have a property up near South Lake Tahoe and while on a trail run with my little dog, a large male coyote followed us about 8 feet away for a while, until I saw him. Spooked the crap out of me! Me and the dog bolted back to the cabin. Turns out this coyote was seen on my neighbors deck the next day, checking out his elderly dog, through the glass door. My neighbor tried to spook him and the Yote just casually walked away...not good. Then heard from another neighbor that their dog wandered out into the woods behind my place a week ago and never came back. Could be a lot of things, but we think the coyote got him.

I was set on taking out this Coyote. I borrowed a call from Don and got in my leaf suit to try and make a close range kill. The first day I set the call up in a flat spot on a downed tree and got up on a hill side over looking it, sun at my back and wind in my face, everything was perfect. Called for over an hour and didn't see anything. Tried 2 more "perfect" places and still nothing. I was out all day and it was a hot one!

Went out the next day really early, and had the opposite experience, nothing was text book, the sun in my face, wind at my back, the call was out in the open, in a sand pit, on a small log and I was about 60yards away, in a dead branch hut that I built. Called for 5 mins and the coyote came around the tree line. One shot to the spine and he was dead before he hit the ground.

Got my first coyote and made our community pets a little safer.

It was a good lesson, hunting is less about perfection and more about determination.

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Takes time. The more you go out, the more you'll learn from your mistakes. People (myself included) will hunt coyotes in places you wouldn't even think of, specially come contest time. If you're seeing antelope, theres coyotes there also.