Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-10-2013, 9:15 AM

Default My Debt Card was Hacked...

Went to buy gas at Shell, swiped my card, didn't read. Tried twice more, didn't read. So I went across the street to Chevron, worked right away.

Within an hour, I saw 3 T&E holds holds on my account, a fuel purchase for $69.48 and a grocery store purchase for $48 all in HUNGARY.

I called Citi bank. Froze my account, canceled my debt card. I'll get a new debt card in 10 business days, and I'll have to file a charge dispute for the amount taken from my account.

I really didn't need all this hassle right now... I can pull cash from a branch store. I'm thinking of pulling all but $100 from each of my accounts at Citi, and putting them into my other accounts at different banks so at least I'll have money to spend instead of waiting with my hands tied.

All and all, I think it will take about 1 month before I'll see disputed charges reimbursed.

Email, mail a letter, expressing a formal sincere concern about your 2nd amendment rights to your local representative, senator, congressman, mayor, etc...

The voice of one will become the voice of many. Public pressure will force legislation.
Old 01-10-2013, 9:18 AM
In Memoriam

It takes about 3 business days with B of A, including getting the new debit card.

Thieves are really good. My cards have bought thousands in games at Game Stops, mostly in Washington state.

Low down gas stations seem to be a common link.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop2queen's6 View Post
Went to buy gas at Shell, swiped my card, didn't read. Tried twice more, didn't read. So I went across the street to Chevron, worked right away.

Within an hour, I saw 3 T&E holds holds on my account, a fuel purchase for $69.48 and a grocery store purchase for $48 all in HUNGARY.

I called Citi bank. Froze my account, canceled my debt card. I'll get a new debt card in 10 business days, and I'll have to file a charge dispute for the amount taken from my account.

I really didn't need all this hassle right now... I can pull cash from a branch store. I'm thinking of pulling all but $100 from each of my accounts at Citi, and putting them into my other accounts at different banks so at least I'll have money to spend instead of waiting with my hands tied.

All and all, I think it will take about 1 month before I'll see disputed charges reimbursed.
this is why I do not use a Debit Card for anything but accessing my bank's ATMs. I have a couple credit cards that get used all the time and I don't care if they get hacked, it's the CCC's money in play, not mine.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

This is exactly why I encourage people to not use debit cards for electronic point-of-sale. Use a credit card, because with a dispute, you're actual money isn't tied up.

I don't even carry my ATM/debit card anymore. I carry some emergency cash, but use my AmEx charge card exclusively (with a Visa credit card as backup for places that don't take AmEx. Whenever I need cash, I usually just walk into the bank and just provide proof of ID and my account number.

I also attempt to minimize the amount of money in my checking account as much as possible. I transfer the bulk to a savings account so there's another hoop to jump through to get to my actual money.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Use a credit card, because with a dispute, you're actual money isn't tied up.
This is like Lindburgh baby news.

Choose a better bank.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

I have the opposite here. My card gets locked at least once a month (happened last night) for fraud alerts. I shop at the same places at the same times, I am very predictable when it comes to gas, food, ammo, and clothes. Yet they still lock my card and I have to convince a non-English speaker I am who I say I am, even though I have my PIN and ID. I wish you had the people watching you who watch me!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 AM

Gas stations are known for this c-rap, thats why I use gas cards only !

Chevron being the main use......
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARLANDO View Post
Gas stations are known for this c-rap, thats why I use gas cards only !

Chevron being the main use......
Even then you need to watch it. Someone installed a reader in our local Chevron station and charged 1200.00 worht of merchandise down south. Luckily they could see what happened and took off the charges and now when the card is used it asks for our zip code.

I guess that helps somewhat, but we still watch our Chevron bill closely after that one.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I also attempt to minimize the amount of money in my checking account as much as possible.
With the timely support from both Obama and our beloved CA legislators and governor, minimizing the amount of money in my checking account is not nearly as burdensome as in years past.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
Even then you need to watch it. Someone installed a reader in our local Chevron station and charged 1200.00 worht of merchandise down south. Luckily they could see what happened and took off the charges and now when the card is used it asks for our zip code.

I guess that helps somewhat, but we still watch our Chevron bill closely after that one.
yes, my point exactly, Money is charged on their card and much easier to
deduct fraud and adjust as needed...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

"all in HUNGARY" wtf? I like credit cards. I call in for dispute the charge is refunded instantly until solved.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Call your local LE and the Secret Service office. Tell them there's a wireless skimmer on the pumps. They'll come out and seize/analyze it.

You should call Shell too.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I had my debit card info stolen, don't know how. Tuesday morning 3 separate charges at a Ralph Lauren store in Washington totaling over $300. Citibank notified me, killed my card, and is sending me a new one.
Old 01-10-2013, 8:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I've had this happen a few times with my wifes card. Citibank is actually really good about this, in our experience. Money is back in 24 hours and you just make a claim over the phone. They will leave your old card active but no longer tied to your account. If someone tries to use it again they go after them. I thought it was going to be a hassle and it really wasn't at all. The last time they actually called us and caught something and put the money back instantly and sent a new card. The only hassle was not having an ATM card for a few days.
Old 01-10-2013, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i pay inside the gas stations. eliminates all chances of card skimmers.

and if my card# gets stolen then, someone will be going to jail (ie gas attendant) since there is no way a card skimmer can be installed on the register without the worker being in on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 01-11-2013, 6:27 PM

You would be suprised at how easy it is to get something like that installed without anyone knowing. Store owners have to pay to have those machines in their stores most of the time and sometimes less than reputable companies are used to process transactions. Real easy to steal CC info when people dont care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post

and if my card# gets stolen then, someone will be going to jail (ie gas attendant) since there is no way a card skimmer can be installed on the register without the worker being in on it.
"... Teddy Roosevelt hunted in the last century with a semiautomatic rifle. Most deer rifles are semiautomatic ... it's become a demonized phrase. The media distorts that and the public ill understands it. ..." - Charlton Heston
Old 01-11-2013, 6:55 PM

Charges in Hungary and it wasn't automatically frozen? Time for a new bank. I had to notify Chase I would be in Europe, which countries, and dates, so they wouldn't freeze my card.
I had my card hacked at one of the truckstops near Victorville totalling almost $1200. Back in the account within 24 hours. Chase rocks!
Old 01-11-2013, 7:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

When my ATM card got hacked, my local credit union caught the fraud, froze the account and I had a new card in my hand an hour later.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 01-11-2013, 7:20 PM

I've had it happen two times. It's quick and reasonably easy to fix. Personally, I didn't start moving my money around.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 01-11-2013, 7:29 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

sorry

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 01-11-2013, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post

You'd be surprised how uninterested many cities are to prosecute/investigate these things. I had three of my cards defrauded three months in a row by disreputable employees of Front Gate Tickets (for the Coachella Festival), and calls to the company, police, and even the local papers were all met with "meh." And yet, this was a fraud ring, because other ticket buyers were getting defrauded the same way.

If you order stuff online, there are a few banks whose credit cards have the feature "virtual credit card numbers" whereby they can issue you an additional credit card number tied to your account that is good only up to a certain limit or good for only a few months or good only for a certain vendor. Check with your bank to see if they offer this feature. If they don't demand it, and eventually they all will offer this awesome feature.

Last edited by dchang0; 01-11-2013 at 8:10 PM..