Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-21-2013, 5:03 PM

This bill would require, on and after July 1, 2014, a Firearm Ownership Record to be submitted, as specified, to the Department of Justice for every firearm an individual owns, with prescribed exceptions, including firearms purchased from a licensed firearms dealer and documented by a Dealers’ Record of Sale transaction and assault weapons registered with the department. The bill would authorize the department to charge a fee of up to $19 per transaction for the submission of the Firearm Ownership Record.

So does this mean I would have to register my Mossberg 500? Also what about my Handguns? They are already registered with the DOJ when I bought it.
Old 02-21-2013, 5:10 PM

Here are the exemptions in the original text of the bill:

(a) On and after July 1, 2014, a Firearm Ownership Record shall be submitted by prepaid mail or delivered in person to the Department of Justice for every firearm an individual owns or possesses.
(b) The following firearms are exempt from subdivision (a):

(1) Handguns purchased from a licensed firearms dealer and documented by a Dealers’ Record of Sale (DROS) transaction on and after January 1, 1991.

(2) Rifles without detachable magazines and shotguns purchased prior to January 1, 2014.

(3) Assault weapons registered with the department pursuant to Section 30900.

(4) Firearms for which a Firearm Ownership Record has been previously filed by the current owner.

(c) The department may charge a fee in an amount sufficient to reimburse the department for the reasonable costs of maintaining the Firearm Ownership Record program, but in no case more than nineteen dollars ($19) per transaction to process the Firearm Ownership Record. After the department establishes the fee amount, the department may adjust the fee amount annually as necessary to cover the reasonable costs of administering the program. The fees shall be deposited into the Dealers’ Record of Sale Special Account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01trubluecobra View Post
This bill would require, on and after July 1, 2014, a Firearm Ownership Record to be submitted, as specified, to the Department of Justice for every firearm an individual owns, with prescribed exceptions, including firearms purchased from a licensed firearms dealer and documented by a Dealers’ Record of Sale transaction and assault weapons registered with the department. The bill would authorize the department to charge a fee of up to $19 per transaction for the submission of the Firearm Ownership Record.

So does this mean I would have to register my Mossberg 500? Also what about my Handguns? They are already registered with the DOJ when I bought it.
Old 02-21-2013, 5:11 PM

No your mossberg 500 if purchased prior to 1/1/14 does not require registration, this applies to semi auto rifles that can accept a non-fixed magazine
Old 02-21-2013, 6:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There will millions and millions of AWs in this state if this passes.

We all get to keep our stuff and do whatever we want with it. ANYTHING!

The bad: Sales will no longer be available, for the children (literally)
Old 02-21-2013, 6:12 PM

Hypothetically.. I don't own any guns, if you don't register how they going to find out that you have an assault weapon, will they be checking dros records?
Old 02-21-2013, 6:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavelek View Post
Hypothetically.. I don't own any guns, if you don't register how they going to find out that you have an assault weapon, will they be checking dros records?
They will check records and if its not registered you will be arrested
Old 02-21-2013, 6:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This is actually a pretty cool bill! It allows for millions to have AW's and prohibits many others for the ability to own weapons in common use. (nation wide common use)

My attorney went to school with Steinberg and was good friends with him. Looking forward to me talking to my lawyer about what is "friend" is doing. LOL Political suicide!
Old 02-21-2013, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

OpSec.

Even publicly stating you think this bill is a good thing is bad.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnchors View Post
OpSec.

This.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:31 PM

Where do felons shop for clothes? I need a costume for an upcoming role..
I am a professional. I always aim true whether firing single rounds or full automatic. I know neither fatigue nor failure. I would take pride in my work but for one thing, I do not know my target. I am not the one that kills. That distinction belongs to the man who pulls my trigger. I am an assault rifle. My name is Kalashnikov.

DANGEROUS FREEDOM > PEACEFUL SLAVERY
Old 02-21-2013, 6:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnchors View Post
OpSec.

I think its a great thing! Will Steinberg listen to me? NO! Will his staff read what i i posted? Maybe! How do they know where i stand or if i even know what i'm talking about? They don't!

Its a good bill! OR maybe its a bad bill! Who am i to say? I'm nobody.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I think its a great thing! Will Steinberg listen to me? NO! Will his staff read what i i posted? Maybe! How do they know where i stand or if i even know what i'm talking about? They don't!

Its a good bill! OR maybe its a bad bill! Who am i to say? I'm nobody.

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 02-21-2013, 6:37 PM

FML and this state
Old 02-21-2013, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

With any luck the courts would destroy this

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:46 PM

The more 'Assault Weapons' owners in California, the better, right? Meaning that if this bill passes, there are now millions of AW owners....and so it is now 'common' to possess an 'AW' for lawful purposes, making it more likely the Ban will be struck down?
Old 02-21-2013, 8:16 PM

At least this ban actually makes sense compared to previous bills. it's easy to tell what an Assault Weapon is now: it's any semi-automatic rifle bought in California before January 1, 2014!
Old 02-21-2013, 8:47 PM

My answer: No.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:03 PM

What are the odds of a preliminary injunction?
Old 02-21-2013, 9:35 PM

So if you register it as an Assault weapon, but move out of the state, do you have to let the State know or not. I am active duty military and as soon as my orders are up I am moving back to Virginia.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:54 PM

So long as the Ruger 10/22 and other common models are included in a ban the probability of a preliminary injunction is high in my opinion. This is based upon language already out there that the intent is to ban Assault Weapons yet new laws expand to encompass all semi-autos as Assault Weapons including those used for hunting such as the Browning BAR and those used for target shooting such as the Ruger 10/22.

It is my opinion that a challenge will be pre-empted by borrowing from Feinstein and creating an exempt list of sporting and hunting rifles like her bill does. We're seeing the first draft of the bill right now and it's easier to maintain a list of what is allowed than what isn't. Clearly the reason for including rimfire I the ban is to prevent 5.56mm lowers with rimfire adaptor blocks and uppers from being sold because they can be converted back to 5.56mm with a different upper.
Old 02-22-2013, 8:09 AM

Even if the 10/22's aren't included in the ban it's still a LOT of weapons that fall under it.
Old 02-22-2013, 8:33 AM

If this bill goes through, I will have to register my pig hunting gun as an assault weapon- it holds 4 rounds of 44 mag. No other mags available for it at all.
Old 02-22-2013, 8:34 AM

I can't wait to assault paper with my 10/22 Assault Plinker!
Old 02-22-2013, 8:40 AM

To those of you wondering why they're going after .22 rimfire: its not about banning Ruger 10/22s and stuff like the M&P-1522. It's about preventing manufacuters from bringing in stripped lowers with a .22lr roll mark and selling AR-15s as .22s with conversion kits installed that allow them to be converted back to 5.56mm by buying an upper online.

As written this law forever prevents stripped lowers from comming back into the state because even stripped they can accept a detachable magazine.
Old 02-22-2013, 8:58 AM

Actually, I suspect they havent thought that far ahead. IMHO the fact that they are going after .22 is a consequence of the .22lr AW look-alikes; the GSG series, the Colt and HK 22s, etc. Its the same mentality behind the desire to ban 10 rd mags that look like 30 rd mags.

They a. cant stand the sight of them and b. dont want people to have guns that look "cool", no matter their actual performance. It goes to the heart of the new Anti gun philosophy of making guns socially unacceptable. I think the fact that 10-22s, and a whole host of others are now AW is just a byproduct.

And, yes this is a first draft. Many changes could occur. I will say that the problem with Feinstein's bill (or one of the problems anyways) is that by calling out certain guns as "sporting" and exempt, you have created an arbitrary and capricious standard. If a Browning BAR is exempted, but a Binelli R1 is not, where is the distinction? I can't see this bill getting any better than hers was. The whole thing is just a constitutional nightmare. Our problem is that until we get up to the Supreme court we are unlikely to get a favorable ruling.
Old 02-22-2013, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr View Post
Actually, I suspect they havent thought that far ahead. IMHO the fact that they are going after .22 is a consequence of the .22lr AW look-alikes; the GSG series, the Colt and HK 22s, etc. Its the same mentality behind the desire to ban 10 rd mags that look like 30 rd mags.

They a. cant stand the sight of them and b. dont want people to have guns that look "cool", no matter their actual performance. It goes to the heart of the new Anti gun philosophy of making guns socially unacceptable. I think the fact that 10-22s, and a whole host of others are now AW is just a byproduct.
Agree. Hanlon's razor, as usual. They're as dumb as a box of hair.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 02-22-2013, 9:38 AM

Is this really the best way to use our resources? To make non-violent law abiding citizens into criminals. Today, violent criminals are being let out of prison due to overcrowding and they want to put more non-violent criminals into prison?

They took the word "illegal" out of "illegal immigrant" and want to add the word "illegal" to "legal gun owner".

Even Canada came to their senses when they determined that registration was very costly with very little benefit.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
To those of you wondering why they're going after .22 rimfire: its not about banning Ruger 10/22s and stuff like the M&P-1522. It's about preventing manufacuters from bringing in stripped lowers with a .22lr roll mark and selling AR-15s as .22s with conversion kits installed that allow them to be converted back to 5.56mm by buying an upper online.

As written this law forever prevents stripped lowers from comming back into the state because even stripped they can accept a detachable magazine.
not really, a stripped lower doesnt "accept" a detachable magazine any more so than a rectangular cardboard box accepts a detachable magazine. cant possibly be considered "accepting" if the mag just slides right through and has no way to catch in the receiver.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Personally I take more offense to this than SB-47. At least there was some shread of logic in SB-47 in that the intent of SB-23 was to ban AR, AK, FAL series, etc and not semi-auto "sporting arms". Banning a Ruger 10/22 youth rifle as an assault weapon has NO logic whatsoever. How do you explain to your son or daughter his/her rifle is now an assault weapon and since they're under 18 they can't register it and therefore may never own it.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Personally I take more offense to this than SB-47. At least there was some shread of logic in SB-47 in that the intent of SB-23 was to ban AR, AK, FAL series, etc and not semi-auto "sporting arms". Banning a Ruger 10/22 youth rifle as an assault weapon has NO logic whatsoever. How do you explain to your son or daughter his/her rifle is now an assault weapon and since they're under 18 they can't register it and therefore may never own it.
It's much easier for me to understand you'd want to ban a gun that fires 'too fast', holds 'too much' ammo, or cna be reloaded 'too quickly'. Makes more sense to me to target all semi-autos and/or detachable magazines across the board rather than try and justify why a magazine-fed, semi-automatic .22 that looks like an M16 is bad, but a magazine-fed, semi-automatic .22 that doesn't is ok.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I looked at my purchases in the early 1980's, even thou I filled out that CA Index Card sized 4 or 5 part form, the one that required you to press with all your might to imprint on the last copy, it appears I did not pay a separate fee on the invoice and have no idea if that was supposed to be registration or if the FFL had to pay a fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinsac View Post
Actually, based on the proposed text, the purchase of any handgun via DROS after January 1, 1991 is exempt from this provision.

It looks like they're trying to document everything else so they have a complete list.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Last edited by Californio; 02-22-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBruce View Post
It's much easier for me to understand you'd want to ban a gun that fires 'too fast', holds 'too much' ammo, or cna be reloaded 'too quickly'. Makes more sense to me to target all semi-autos and/or detachable magazines across the board rather than try and justify why a magazine-fed, semi-automatic .22 that looks like an M16 is bad, but a magazine-fed, semi-automatic .22 that doesn't is ok.
But what is the fear of a detachable magazine lever or bolt gun?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
This whole shebang has nothing to do with fear or crime.

The antis are thinking 10 plus years in advance with these proposals.They want everything which can launch a bullet in CA documented in some fashion.Tube,lever,bolt,semi auto, and probably Airsoft at this rate.

I'll let you figure out why they'd want that.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
Does the proposed bill apply to non-semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pMcW View Post
Does the proposed bill apply to non-semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines?
They way I read it, it does.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
If this bill goes through, I will have to register my pig hunting gun as an assault weapon- it holds 4 rounds of 44 mag. No other mags available for it at all.
I'm sure it will also be a crime to not be vegan soon, so you won't "need" such an assault rifle to kill pigs anyway. And what's with that high powered sniper scope on top?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM

The law applies to any semi-automatic centerfire or rimfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine.

Sadly this means the Browning BAR hunting rifle and Benelli R-1. Both of these are beautiful modern hunting rifles that should never be considered "Assault Weapons". Heck they don't even make magazines bigger than 5 rounds for them!!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:

We can only speculate what they are thinking.... And in the process unknowingly provide them with more ideas. "we didn't think of that, but its a good approach, maybe we can apply it to xxxx or revise xxx bill to include this"
OPSEC!!
Old 02-22-2013, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

So, according to this new bill,

since my old Springfield-Stevens Model 87-A with a tube-fed magazine which can accept up to 15 (Pre-ban BTW) rounds of .22 LR, .22 Short and .22 Long is an "assault weapon"...

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 02-22-2013, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

this bill is the whole pie, dont get too distracted with this one and forget to fight back against the others as well