Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Watch this video. Tell me what his head does when he mounts the gun.

Also pay attention to the position of his left hand.

https://youtu.be/FUiHn2DiNBA

Last edited by ysr_racer; 05-14-2018 at 10:45 PM..
Old 05-15-2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
20 pages on gun fit. Can somebody read it, and summarize?

http://www.peteblakeley.com/GunFit.pdf
Very good article.
Thanks for sharing
Old 05-16-2018, 8:16 AM

I watched all these videos for a few months after I took up Trap Shooting in July 2015. They are good guidelines but personally I think you are much better off shooting a few hundred games. At some point it will "click" and you will figure out "see the bird, shoot the bird".

Keep the gun on your cheek
Don't look up from the gun.
Don't ever look at the bead.
Follow through
Old 05-16-2018, 2:10 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego67 View Post
I watched all these videos for a few months after I took up Trap Shooting in July 2015. They are good guidelines but personally I think you are much better off shooting a few hundred games. At some point it will "click" and you will figure out "see the bird, shoot the bird".

Keep the gun on your cheek
Don't look up from the gun.
Don't ever look at the bead.
Follow through
I will add that once you get a proper mount, STOP THINKING WHEN IT'S TIME TO SHOOT. Once you mount the gun, throw everything out and only focus on watching the bird and shoot. Many times a person will focus on lead, stance, gun fit while the clay is coming out. The faster you shoot, the better you will get IMO.
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
It’s always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people don’t behave badly.
-Milton Friedman
Old 05-16-2018, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

My gun doesn't fit me very well and I don't really care.

I used to care, and I chased that perfect fitting gun 20 years ago and thought I found it. It took a long time to figure out that it didn't!

I have never met a gun shop owner that could fit a gun to me, ever. Being in California might have something to do with it as I'm sure if this was England or Italy I might get some proper advice.

I'm going to guess that most shotguns don't fit their owners.
Old 05-16-2018, 8:27 PM
CGSSA Associate

You can only tell fit by shooting it.....big deal the beads line up.....can you hit anything with it

Once you've shot enough years, fit is more comfort than an indication of accuracy.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Most shotguns are designed to fit most people. Standard dimensions are fine for 95% of shooters. If you need better than that, a gun shop owner is not the one to provide that service and the people who do* are expensive.

*i.e. those who do more than lop off a couple inches, install a comb or change out a pad
They are designed to fit the average American male, 5’9”-5’10” tall.

I found that browning has a lower comb which helps us taller guys. Most all other brands seem to be better for the average size guys.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:55 AM
Calguns Addict

To the OP.
A palm swell is just a bulge added to the pistol grip to give it a more full feeling when it's in your hand.
Cast off is used to move the receiver to the left or right when you mount the shotgun.
Some shooters need cast off some don't.
The ribs on a trap gun are used to move the barrel out of your sight picture. You can have a ventilated rib 2 inches above the barrel you just need to raise the buttstock accordingly.
The best trap shooters generally use a single shot for singles and handicap and a over and under for doubles.
A hundred years before trap skeet and all the various competitions all shotguns where the same.
Today however it is best to use the right tool for the right job so a skeet gun with open chokes is used for skeet and a long barrel and tight choke is common place in 27 yard handicap shooting.
Same holds true for stocks. Use what actual winners are using not what works in a field gun and your scores will improve.
Not too many side by sides on the line at any matches you will attend yet they were designed to promote field shooting.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 05-17-2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
They are designed to fit the average American male, 5’9”-5’10” tall.

I found that browning has a lower comb which helps us taller guys. Most all other brands seem to be better for the average size guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB
Most shotguns are designed to fit most people. Standard dimensions are fine for 95% of shooters.

Browning’s and Winchester’s have lower combs, Remington and some others are in the middle, Benelli and Beretta have higher combs. So which company’s dimensions are standard? If standard dimensions are fine for 95% of shooters, then 95% of shooters will shoot most any current production shotgun equally well. That isn’t the case.
Old 05-17-2018, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
Browning’s and Winchester’s have lower combs, Remington and some others are in the middle, Benelli and Beretta have higher combs. So which company’s dimensions are standard? If standard dimensions are fine for 95% of shooters, then 95% of shooters will shoot most any current production shotgun equally well. That isn’t the case.
That's why I always recommend the Beretta A300, it's adjustable so it will fit everybody.

(wait for it, wait for it, wait for it )
Old 05-17-2018, 9:27 AM

From your statement the inference is that the others aren’t adjustable which we know is false. The V3 isn’t adjustable but just about all the others are.

We also know that no shotgun will fit everyone. Your love of the A300 has become legend I believe. It’s also cool I believe that you can have a laugh at your own expense. I do like the A300, went so far as to buy one knowing it wouldn’t fit but I guess holding on to the hope a miracle would happen. Fortunately I was still working for Cabela’s when I bought it and Cabela’s has a deal with Beretta where employees can buy one shotgun and one handgun a year at a very good price. I got a camo A300 in 2015 for $400.00 including TT&L.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
From your statement the inference is that the others aren’t adjustable which we know is false. The V3 isn’t adjustable but just about all the others are.

We also know that no shotgun will fit everyone. Your love of the A300 has become legend I believe. It’s also cool I believe that you can have a laugh at your own expense. I do like the A300, went so far as to buy one knowing it wouldn’t fit but I guess holding on to the hope a miracle would happen. Fortunately I was still working for Cabela’s when I bought it and Cabela’s has a deal with Beretta where employees can buy one shotgun and one handgun a year at a very good price. I got a camo A300 in 2015 for $400.00 including TT&L.
Like shooting fish in a barrel
Old 05-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post

IMO, the critical error in the CalGuns mentality is to obsess about the gun rather than the activity that it is used for.
Yep, it's worse with the tacticool guys. "I've never shot my shotgun, but I know I need a mag extension"
Old 05-18-2018, 9:30 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

ooooh, I can get a mag extension for my Guerini ? cool, I want !!!

4 more days and its out of jail...I will post results next week and see if it improved my shooting or not. For reference, I shot a 16/25 with a rental Remington 870 over the weekend, that is about my average with my old Mossberg 500, my best ever with my Mossberg was 22/25, my average is 16-18.

AND NO, I don't really expect my average to go up because of a new gun, even if according to the pros it fits, what I expect is my average to go up because I will go shooting every week and practice (joined the league at local gun club), that is what will make me a better shooter, but I hope the new gun makes it more comfortable than my Mossberg 500.
Old 05-19-2018, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
That's why I always recommend the Beretta A300, it's adjustable so it will fit everybody.

(wait for it, wait for it, wait for it )
The shim kits that come with stoeger and benelli still don't drop the comb enough to it me.

I'm using a 20 ga Stoeger M3020, and I like it mostly because it's 5.5 lbs. The fit isn't ideal but I just deal with it.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
The shim kits that come with stoeger and benelli still don't drop the comb enough to it me.

I'm using a 20 ga Stoeger M3020, and I like it mostly because it's 5.5 lbs. The fit isn't ideal but I just deal with it.
I just looked at the specs on the M3020. It has the highest comb of any shotgun I’ve ever seen the specs on. Do you have a Benelli? If so which model?