Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

View Poll Results: Is this interesting? Would you like more like this?
This is awesome...bring it on 128 66.67%
I'll read it but wont participate 31 16.15%
Eeh...too much effort and Scooby Doo is on 33 17.19%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2011, 7:05 PM

Default SHTF Scenario 1 - EMP

Let me setup and throw a scenario at you. Tell us how you would respond to it for say the first week.

Scenario
It's last Saturday at around 4PM. You got paid on Friday. You are just leaving the grocery store with two bags full of food for a BBQ/cookout you are having tomorrow with some co-workers. It is a beautiful day with a clear blue sky.

You hear a small Cessna-type plane flying high overhead, probably some guy working on his Pilot’s license. At that moment you see a camera-like flash out of your right eye and turn to see what it is. You notice something has happened very very high up in the atmosphere like a blossoming flower. It is no larger than the size of you hand held out at arms length. There is no noise coming from it.

You hear the plane's engine start to sputter and then die completely. You reach down to call 911 on your cell phone only to find it is dead. You run to your vehicle to get your second emergency cell phone only your car wont unlock no matter how many times you push the alarm remote.

You start to realize that everything has just gotten very quiet...no car engine noises, no trains, or AC units running...nothing.

The Scenario starts now...What do you next and over the next few days. Take your time and give it some real thought. If you have scenario rule or caveat questions, post them and I will respond with the answer or more probing questions.

Considerations:
Last Saturday: For the sake of this scenario, last Saturday was literally whatever your last Saturday was as you are reading this. For me, as of the writing of this thread, it was June 25, 2011. Whatever preparations, food, gas, etc. you had on that day is what you have to work with.

Location: For the sake of simplicity, You and your family, roommates, live-ins, renters, etc., were in your neighborhood and not on travel. So those of you traveling last Saturday...you get a break and don’t have to walk home across the country . If you normally work on Saturday, you had the day off.

EMP: There is a lot of chatter as to the effect an EMP would have on cars and generators. To simplify, all non-specifically EMP protected electronics and systems were fried. If you have an old vehicle (70s and older), the starter, alternator, and voltage regulator burned up. All other vehicles are toast. Anything connected to phone lines, computers, power lines, antennae, etc., are surge fried. The EMP blew right past any commercial surge protectors unless they are military grade EMP specific class protectors.

Money: How much money did you have in your wallet or purse last Saturday? If you don't know, open it up now...that’s what you have to work with. Also, whatever you may have access to otherwise such as in you safe, coin cup, ashtray, couch. cache, etc. ATMs are dead.

Weapons and Ammo: What do you normally carry on you or in your vehicle if you are doing a quick food run to your local store on a Saturday...that’s what you have to work with.

Water and Natural Gas: The municipal water and gas pumps are dead. the backup generators electronics burned out with the EMP so there is no water pressure.

Enjoy

Last edited by TheChief; 06-30-2011 at 5:23 AM.. Reason: Added pic
Old 06-29-2011, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

What do hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.

Last edited by BigBamBoo; 08-11-2011 at 7:25 AM..
Old 06-29-2011, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
....been reading a book have you??
When it came out two years ago. Was very entertaining. My wife couldnt finish it
Old 08-26-2011, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
When it came out two years ago. Was very entertaining. My wife couldnt finish it
I'm reading it now. It supports much I've said about an extreme disaster of any sort.
Old 06-29-2011, 7:21 PM
Banned

Stay at home, normal life. Maybe a hike or two to check on people IWB carry my pistol and just act like a normal guy while on the streets.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

I refuse to be in any threads where the word "scenario" is used more then 2 times
Old 06-29-2011, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 7:32 PM

What Book????
Old 06-29-2011, 7:36 PM

So the scenario is:
Large EMP just took out all electronics nationwide....
I swear to God, if my tivo lost the new episode of Jersey Shore, somebody is gonna pay!

Really...Its a great scenario to ponder. Let me give it some thought and I will repost.
Old 06-29-2011, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shutr View Post
So the scenario is:
Your question as to effect and scope cannot be readily determined by you in the scenario. All you have to go on is what your eyes, ears, and current knowledge are telling you...

You only saw one way the hell up in the sky.

Really got to put yourself there at the moment. No access to the internet or phone.

Enjoy
Old 07-13-2011, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shutr View Post
So the scenario is:
Hey, if I can't watch my "Leave It To Beaver" re-runs I'll be kick'n some butt and I mean BIG TIME!!
Old 06-29-2011, 7:47 PM

Sounds like "lights out - CA edition"
Old 06-29-2011, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
I had never heard of that book. Picking one up tomorrow thank you very much!

I was refering to One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Sounds like a similiar topic and situation.
Old 06-29-2011, 8:10 PM

Quote:

I was refering to One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Sounds like a similiar topic and situation.

Just finished reading One Second After, best book I've read since "lights out". I'm currently reading "Deep Winter" equally as good.

Quote:
45ACP putting human garbage to rest since 1911
Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:

doesnt anyone read playboy anymore??
Old 07-08-2011, 2:31 AM

Post removed, I knew somebody was going to misinterpret...

Last edited by AlpineWeiss; 07-08-2011 at 10:56 AM..
Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Misinterpretation?

What did I misinterpret? I read that you would kill shop owners who wouldn't let you take their stuff? Did I mis read that? I think that would cause many to gang up with law enforcement and hunt you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWeiss View Post
Post removed, I knew somebody was going to misinterpret...
Old 11-19-2016, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
Your post pre-dates the CA version of Lights Out, which is " EMP Los Angeles" by Frank LaFlamme. I'm taking another swing at reading it this week after reading the first 50 pages earlier this year and setting it down for other books.

If I was in OPs scenario, I guess the back window to the Durango will be getting shattered so I can access my BOB and work bags, and then hoofing it home.
If I am at the store I normally shop at, it is actually closer to my dad's place, and his Model A Ford certainly pre-dates any EMP-susceptible electronics. Get a ride home from him and go from there.

If my primary employer doesn't have some sort of operations up and going in a few days I guess I am on indefinite leave or he may opt to have his subordinates continue to function at a much reduced level in the towns and villages where they reside. The part time gig, a village just a few miles down the road, might also need my services since I am literally the closest employee; everyone else working there commutes much longer distances to work. So long for some of them that they would probably never report back for duty. For any LEOs continuing to serve t would be reverting back to the Texas Ranger saying of one ranger one riot, because backup would be non-existent.
The fictional version of this thing where everything everywhere stops working is at best a theory, since no one knows for sure how widely stuff will be affected. Life in general will certainly suck for most Americans who are used to the fairly smoothly functioning society we operate in. Folks in Afghanistan may not care so much; they'll curse that the cheap radio they got from some US aid program doesn't work and then they'll roll back over and snuggle back up with the goat they were spending the night with.
Old 06-29-2011, 7:59 PM

very true...ZERO info to go on....
Old 06-29-2011, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd walk home and log in to CalGuns so you guys could tell me what's going on.
Old 06-29-2011, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Being that I read one second after as soon as I had the input you have provided I'd act.

1). A super wal mart is 7 minutes from me by bike, and I keep a few thousand cash tucked away for emergencies. I'd conceal my ppk/s and get my wife on a ride there. A few things we need. 4:15 PM I'm assuming employees will take cash only. Not ghat I don't have some but I'm going to add 2,000 rnds of 22, 250 of 45, and 500 of 223 there. We'll gather some candles, extra lighter fluid, pills of carius kinds, and some bagged soups. I may add to our rice. They sell kiddie carts for bikes there which I don't have so I'd get them.

2). Back home I'd fill the tub, and any clean container with water or have my wife do that as I kick up the BBQ for meet that needs to be cooked. I'd invite 2 neighbors I have over and convince them if the prob.

3). By Friday I pack the bug out by bike gear after eating big all week and head for Nevada leaving about 4 am and settling at my first stop out bt 7 am. We'd travel from 1 am to 7 am there after and arrive at the property in 10 days.
Old 06-29-2011, 9:26 PM

Ok... I'll bite. I've not read those books (and can't see them on my Kindle anyway since it's fried)

I guess the response would depend greatly on what happened. Even with power/electronics INOP info will trickle out quickly and within a day or so we should have an idea of what happened. EMP...ok. Was it an accident? Terrorist attack? Foriegn assult? Zombie apocolypse kickoff? Prelude to an alien invasion?

Either way I'm a gonna carry on as usual (like it's just another power outage) and probably report to work ASAP.
Well I have the pistols so I'll keep the pesos. Yeah that seems fair."

The Refreshments - Banditos
Old 06-29-2011, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Default More then a power outage

In an EMP you lose more then power. Water goes off as soon as tanks are depleted. My city uses gravity feed for pressure so I think we'll have water for some hours maybe a day. Pretty much no vehicles and if you have an old one and are prepared with disconnected electronics a govt type will be trying to confiscate it for " emergency " use asap.

General panic is 36 to 48 hrs out. I'd want to hunker down for that. Then bail. I'm tempted to bail quickly but since bailing is by bike I'd consume what I can at home first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
Ok... I'll bite. I've not read those books (and can't see them on my Kindle anyway since it's fried)

I guess the response would depend greatly on what happened. Even with power/electronics INOP info will trickle out quickly and within a day or so we should have an idea of what happened. EMP...ok. Was it an accident? Terrorist attack? Foriegn assult? Zombie apocolypse kickoff? Prelude to an alien invasion?

Either way I'm a gonna carry on as usual (like it's just another power outage) and probably report to work ASAP.
Old 07-13-2011, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripon83 View Post
Pretty much no vehicles and if you have an old one and are prepared with disconnected electronics a govt type will be trying to confiscate it for " emergency " use asap.
You'd have to have the good sense to shoot the SOB as soon as he identified himself as a government agent. It won't be a good time for people who can't take decisive action to protect themselves and their loved ones. Anybody who can't kill another human being will soon be dead himself. It'll get VERY ugly very quickly.

Last edited by Kid Stanislaus; 07-13-2011 at 8:11 PM.. Reason: Elucidation
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Being that I read one second after as soon as I had the input you have provided I'd act.

1). A super wal mart is 7 minutes from me by bike, and I keep a few thousand cash tucked away for emergencies. I'd conceal my ppk/s and get my wife on a ride there. A few things we need. 4:15 PM I'm assuming employees will take cash only. Not ghat I don't have some but I'm going to add 2,000 rnds of 22, 250 of 45, and 500 of 223 there. We'll gather some candles, extra lighter fluid, pills of carius kinds, and some bagged soups. I may add to our rice. They sell kiddie carts for bikes there which I don't have so I'd get them.

2). Back home I'd fill the tub, and any clean container with water or have my wife do that as I kick up the BBQ for meet that needs to be cooked. I'd invite 2 neighbors I have over and convince them if the prob.

3). By Friday I pack the bug out by bike gear after eating big all week and head for Nevada leaving about 4 am and settling at my first stop out bt 7 am. We'd travel from 1 am to 7 am there after and arrive at the property in 10 days.
When I worked in retail many years ago, if we were unfortunate enough to loose power, we would not finish the transactions. Loss prevention would user customers out of the door and start locking the doors. I am certain that this would happen at a Walmart. What ever we have on hand would be pretty much all we have. Going out could prove deadly.
Old 07-13-2011, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
By Friday I pack the bug out by bike gear after eating big all week and head for Nevada leaving about 4 am and settling at my first stop out bt 7 am. We'd travel from 1 am to 7 am there after and arrive at the property in 10 days.
Believe me, somebody would pick you off LONG before you ever got to the Nevada border. With just two of you travelling you'd be easy targets.
Old 07-13-2011, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Big enough yes

Well I'm an easy target that I know. I don't think real target selection begins between days 6-12 though in this scenario. We don't need to go through towns, and those who'd likely be willing to engage are more urban dwellers going hungry, and we know most aren't up early.

In this scenario I view the risk of moving far less then staying longer. Besides I can look pretty homeless, like a soldier, a cop or or farmer if I had too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Believe me, somebody would pick you off LONG before you ever got to the Nevada border. With just two of you travelling you'd be easy targets.
Old 07-15-2011, 9:00 PM

Would no one go into the grocery store and stock up on supplies?
What about your local home improvement store?
If you had an old car and replacement parts, got the vehicle running and are planning to bug out, what would you take?

Some of you have been running what if scenarios through your heads for years. Share your thoughts in a bit more detail then...I would go home, pack and leave...
Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Bike Trailers

Yeah I'd go in for bike trailers....I don't have those now. If I had them I wouldn't go in...no need

Quote:
Would no one go into the grocery store and stock up on supplies?
What about your local home improvement store?
If you had an old car and replacement parts, got the vehicle running and are planning to bug out, what would you take?

Some of you have been running what if scenarios through your heads for years. Share your thoughts in a bit more detail then...I would go home, pack and leave...
Old 08-26-2011, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
By Friday I pack the bug out by bike gear after eating big all week and head for Nevada leaving about 4 am and settling at my first stop out bt 7 am. We'd travel from 1 am to 7 am there after and arrive at the property in 10 days.
Do you really think you'd make it there without being shot by some thug who'd take all your stuff?
Old 08-26-2011, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Absolutely

Most definitely. I had said leave at about 5 days. I think the thugs around Oakdale won't have it figured out till day 10 and I'm well past there by then. We only aim to travel a few early hours in the AM....thugs are still sleeping and hung over.

Like I said....get around Reno and it's home free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Do you really think you'd make it there without being shot by some thug who'd take all your stuff?
Old 11-25-2017, 9:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

You're assuming Wal Mart hasn't just locked all their doors once the blackout hits and you're assuming that there will be electricity running the water pumping for the city (though they may/should have generators).
Old 06-29-2011, 9:54 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'd stick my arms out in front of me and start moaning "braaaains."
Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

get home. period. I wouldnt even try to get some last minute stuff. and yes I do have a 1911 in a locked container even when I go shopping.
Old 06-30-2011, 9:45 AM

1st off, really cool idea TC.

Last Saturday: spent the day at home rearranging/cleaning my office. In laws were over, kids were in the pool. All in all, 6 people in my house (4 adults + 2 kids).

OK, the market I go to is 1.81 (gmaps-pedometer) miles from my house.
1st I would try to get in touch with my wife at home, make sure things were cool. Can't get at her, no phone, car doesn't work. It would begin to register that SHTF and I need to move. I would load everything from the car, into the shopping cart. Not just the groceries, but everything I have in the car. I would throw my GHB over my shoulder and start hoofing it, with the cart, home.

At home, I would do a quick sweep of the house. Check to make sure that I'm not crazy and S actually did HTF. We have arrowhead water delivered to the house, so at any given time I have from 2-5, 5 gallon jugs of water out front, those would get moved into the house. Dining room table gets cleaned out and turns into the staging area. My gear comes out, gets laid out, and reviewed.
Time for a discussion with the wife specifically, but the adults in general, kids would be sent up stairs. It goes something like this:
"Hon, you know how I've been trying to get us ready for the EOTW, and how you keep thinking I'm crazy. Well the EOTW just started and now we're behind. So here's our future, my way, no questions asked."
wife: "What are you talking about? What's going on?"
In - laws: "What's going on?"
everyone: blah blah blah blah blah blah
me: "No time for this right now. Here's the deal. (Explain what I saw at the market and what I think happened.) I'm going to go door to door, talk to the neighbors and get some more info."

I would strap on my fixed blade, my collapsible baton, grab my PPKs (loaded) and my extra clip. Time for a neighborhood check, make sure my neighborhood (and therefor my family) are safe. My parents live about 14 miles away. Once I'm satisfied that my family and neighborhood are safe (for the time being), I would get my camelback ready, load it with some essentials, and bike to my parents house. Check on them, give them the run down. Problem with them is they are old and have physical issues. Getting them out and to safety/my house isn't really an option.

Friend/co-worker lives around the corner. We have had discussions about EOTW. Swing by his place, make sure his family is ok (wife + 3kids). Get them over to my house, with his prep gear, and family. He is a gear head, biker (both motor and foot powered). Get that stuff over to my house as well.

OK, back to my place. There goes Saturday. Sunday, more of the same. My brother (his wife, son and newborn twins) live in the SFV, about 30-35m from us. I would try to get them and check on them. Brother in law is around the corner from them. Same routine there. Tell them to get what they can, and huddle together, or hoof it to my place for more of a centralized grouping of the family.

Monday/Tuesday: family staying put. Some more info gathering and working with the neighbors. Possibly a trip to Walmart, about 6.8 miles 1 way. See if they are open for business, and what I can get to help out. (I have friends and family on the way, swing by their places and check on them too. Tell them what I think and invite them to my place. They would have to come ready and willing to work.)

I used to work at a market, during the 94 quake. We were open for business the day after, running on calculators with pads & pencils, accepting cash. Hopefully Wally would be doing the same thing.

Wednesday: More of the same, staying put, planning ahead.
Thursday: I'm guessing either we have some answers or panic mode is setting in. Need to hook up with some friends and make sure we can be secure.
Friday: More of the same. Between the 3-4 houses of rummaging we would have done, we should still be ok with food. Water might begin to be an issue.
Saturday: 1 week since d-day. Time to start thinking longterm.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing at all will change for me. In fact I might not even notice for a while. Id just have to drive my Bug and my 55 chevy truck...

Turby
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Nothing at all will change for me. In fact I might not even notice for a while. Id just have to drive my Bug and my 55 chevy truck...
You mean after replacing the starters and alternator/generators right? Do you happen to have a spare set of those lying around?

Older vehicles are actually more vulnerable to a pulse then newer ones that have been hardened over the years for durability purposes.

That being said, with your older vehicles, as long as you have a good battery and it is stick, you could jump start it, and drive it home on nothing but the battery assuming you don't run your headlights or other things that draw power and drain the battery. That way the battery is only supplying power to the coil. hmm...assuming the coil didnt fry too in which case, sorry charlie, your walking!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You mean after replacing the starters and alternator/generators right? Do you happen to have a spare set of those lying around?

Older vehicles are actually more vulnerable to a pulse then newer ones that have been hardened over the years for durability purposes.

That being said, with your older vehicles, as long as you have a good battery and it is stick, you could jump start it, and drive it home on nothing but the battery assuming you don't run your headlights or other things that draw power and drain the battery. That way the battery is only supplying power to the coil. hmm...assuming the coil didnt fry too in which case, sorry charlie, your walking!
EMP cant kill a generator. Or a starter. And the VW has a magneto. Cant kill that either.

Turby
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy.
Old 08-26-2011, 9:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
You'd have to constantly drive around all the other cars that're sitting idle on the streets and buying gasoline would be a BIG problem. You'd notice alright.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Wow, soo much EMP Hollywoodisms in here. The kind of EMP needed to damage an alternator's windings would also kill a human exposed to so intense a electromagnetic field. Non-hardened solid state electronics are vulnerable for certain as even small induced currents can damage them (ESD, electrostatic discharge).

I have seen tests run where EMP was fairly powerful and all it did was temporarily disable a modern car. As in turn it off and back on again and you were back to working order. Older cars were completely unaffected and continued normal operation.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.