Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-07-2010, 7:22 PM

Default RIA 1911 GI review

I picked up my RIA 1911 GI on Friday. I cleaned off the packing grease and started the function test. I got rid of the stocks and put on some nice Rosewood diamond checkered grips. I replaced the standard magazine with a blue Kimber magazine. I didn't like the black plastic base on the Act-MAG that came with the gun. I took some 0000 steel wool and just gave the finish a once over to remove that "rough" finish appearance. I polished the rear sight for some contrast. I put a dot of red pant on the top of the front sight as I will be keeping these stock sights and want to make them work for me. The gun is well balanced and feels great! I like the trigger. I have decided to leave the gun in this state.

Need to take it out on the range so I can truly compare it to my Kimber as far as noticing the difference between a $400 dollar 1911 and a 1K 1911.

So far I am impressed.

ADDED Also, whited in the M1911-AI and the country it was made in "Philippines" for discussion purposes....

Last edited by xbimmers; 03-07-2010 at 7:45 PM..
Old 03-07-2010, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

All that work and no pictures?
Old 03-07-2010, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

U polished the rear sight? For contrast?
Old 03-07-2010, 7:28 PM

Yes, since I am not used to these very small sights...I polished the top edges of the sight...that give me a nice sight picture along with the red dot on the front sight. The contrast is more with the rear of the gun...I now quickly aquire the rear sight when I bring the gun on target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
U polished the rear sight? For contrast?
Old 03-07-2010, 7:31 PM

Pics Please!
"The warrior doesn't switch that off. He tones it down based on the threat, but he's still alert and prepared. He constantly thinks and evaluates what he is doing so he can outsmart the opposition all the time - Matt Larsen"
Old 03-07-2010, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbimmers View Post
Yes, since I am not used to these very small sights...I polished the top edges of the sight...that give me a nice sight picture along with the red dot on the front sight. The contrast is more with the rear of the gun...I now quickly aquire the rear sight when I bring the gun on target.
I don't understand how polishing the rear sight improves contrast. You are supposed to focus on the front sight and the target as well as the rear sight are to remain blurry.
Old 03-07-2010, 7:43 PM

There's no way to compare quality 45 with a standard GI 45.I have 2 45's in my home.1st one is a beautiful Loaded Stainless Springfield 45 that sits in the safe and the 2nd one is a GI Rock Island 45 that is under my bed in a lock box with a full mag ready to rock n roll!It goes to the range/desert/mountains and any other place that a 230gr clunk of lead may be needed.It gets banged around,scratched,wet and shot more than any other gun I have.She is a workhorse.The sad part is that one day she may save my life or the life of someone else and for that she will pay with her life!She is my Creasebear and I'm her Pita!Her life for my life!
Old 03-07-2010, 7:50 PM

There are a lot of sights for lots of people and as you know there are many many sights where the rear sight has dots or lines in white. So what is your point?

I decided to polish the rear sight instead of painting white dots on it.

This is what I like for this gun, get over it.

Quote:
I don't understand how polishing the rear sight improves contrast. You are supposed to focus on the front sight and the target as well as the rear sight are to remain blurry.
Old 03-07-2010, 7:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I asked for a technical explanation, not for you to get pissy.
Old 03-07-2010, 7:59 PM

I get your point! My Kimber has become the safe queen! I use a Glock 23 with a tac light as my ready gun for home defense....

This Rock Island 1911 is going to be the gun that I shoot any and all ammo through it....bring on wolf and lead bullet heads!!!!

Will be the one at the desert trips and camping trips......along with my S&W model 15 loaded with snake shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs2714 View Post
There's no way to compare quality 45 with a standard GI 45.I have 2 45's in my home.1st one is a beautiful Loaded Stainless Springfield 45 that sits in the safe and the 2nd one is a GI Rock Island 45 that is under my bed in a lock box with a full mag ready to rock n roll!It goes to the range/desert/mountains and any other place that a 230gr clunk of lead may be needed.It gets banged around,scratched,wet and shot more than any other gun I have.She is a workhorse.The sad part is that one day she may save my life or the life of someone else and for that she will pay with her life!She is my Creasebear and I'm her Pita!Her life for my life!
Old 03-07-2010, 8:02 PM

You didn't ask for anything....you made 2 statements in the 2 sentences you wrote.

I responded regardless of what you wanted.

Quote:
I asked for a technical explanation, not for you to get pissy.
Old 03-07-2010, 8:09 PM

I have the RIA GI as well and its becoming one of my favorite handguns....Its been accurate in my hands and a joy to shoot. I'm going to play with internals a lil and change the sear spring but other than that, she's staying stock! Now I'm interested in a RIA tactical.......
Old 03-07-2010, 8:14 PM

I heard Ammo Bros. has the RIA tactical on sale for $479 This might be a good time to get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortayack View Post
I have the RIA GI as well and its becoming one of my favorite handguns....Its been accurate in my hands and a joy to shoot. I'm going to play with internals a lil and change the sear spring but other than that, she's staying stock! Now I'm interested in a RIA tactical.......
Old 03-07-2010, 8:22 PM

Quote:
I heard Ammo Bros. has the RIA tactical on sale for $479 This might be a good time to get it!
I also see it for 440.00 on gunbroker.....So with transfer fees and DROS: 515 total.........479.00 Is a good price in CA......
Old 03-07-2010, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

I haven't been bitten by the 1911 bug yet, but I can hear the RIA GI buzzing around my head looking for a place to land.

I'm not even a big .45 acp fan, but good reviews and a good price is quickly making it a must have. All that's left is to try one out.
Old 03-07-2010, 9:03 PM

I recommend just getting one! Ammo bros has it on sale for $399 ...they have a store in Ontario...which might be close to you.

1911 in it's raw form and you don't have to pay $600 plus !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echidin View Post
I haven't been bitten by the 1911 bug yet, but I can hear the RIA GI buzzing around my head looking for a place to land.

I'm not even a big .45 acp fan, but good reviews and a good price is quickly making it a must have. All that's left is to try one out.
Old 03-07-2010, 9:18 PM

I am also interested in the RIA Tactical. Seems a lot have people have had great luck with them. OP, good work on your pistol, looks great! -Ben
Old 03-08-2010, 5:39 AM
Veteran Member

Aargh! All this talk of affordable, standard 1911's (no FLGR or firing pin safety) is getting me anxious to get one (again!).

I guess what's stopping me is the exorbitant price of .45 right now. I figure, with ammo prices what they are, if I'm going to shoot a bunch of .45, why not let my Colt XSE and Sig 220 get it.

Actually, I'd love it if RIA made a 9mm 1911 available in CA. Chances are that that would become my workhorse gun.
Old 03-08-2010, 6:28 AM

last I remember they had a 38 super model. might end up being not worth the cost to covert.
Old 03-08-2010, 6:33 AM
Jonathan Doe

As far as sights are concerned, any sights will do the job as long as you can see it. This is my Colt 9mm slide unit on a Springfield frame. The sights are the original small factory Colt sight that no one lkes.

Old 03-08-2010, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I recommend just getting one! Ammo bros has it on sale for $399 ...they have a store in Ontario...which might be close to you.

1911 in it's raw form and you don't have to pay $600 plus !!!
Really? I did not know they had them for $399...I see Ammo Bros off the 15 in Ontario whenever I drive by, but I'm usually too busy to make a stop. May need to make a special trip later today.
Old 03-08-2010, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

I was planning on getting one of these....then a buddy took a 1911 armorers course and hooked me up with a FAT discount on a new Colt.......so get a RIA from Sarco for $379 or a Colt for $594? hmmmmm
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 03-08-2010, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice pick up! Excellent entry level 1911 congrats!
Old 03-08-2010, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Just got back from checking out some RIA's with a friend who just paid one off, although he can't start the DROS until the 10th per the 30-day rule.

I wasn't aware they made the RIA Tactical in stainless and two tone? My friend picked up a very nice stainless steel model. I was so close to getting one, but didn't quite have the funds to swing it.
Old 03-08-2010, 6:11 PM

can the front sight be replaced on the GI model? i couldn't tell from the picture here or the pictures from armscor. it looks like it's just pinned in there instead of the sliding style. thanks.
The 45 ACP trail eventually leads to 1911 ownership.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racky View Post
can the front sight be replaced on the GI model? i couldn't tell from the picture here or the pictures from armscor. it looks like it's just pinned in there instead of the sliding style. thanks.
They make replacement staked front sights. I actually just picked up my 4" MS RIA with the std GI sights and have been shopping for a nice replacement set. I have a mill, so I could cut the dovetail for a new front sight, but since I don't want a huge front post, I may just stake in a new one and not have to cut the slide.

Chris
Old 03-19-2010, 11:31 PM

I was just in my local shop today and they said production has stopped since the plant where they are made was wiped out by a tsunami...can anybody confirm?

"25 States allow anyone to buy a gun, strap it on, and walk down the street with no permit of any kind: some say it's crazy. However, four out of five US murders are committed in the other half of the country: so who's crazy?"
-- Andrew Ford
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

This is the only info I could fine on recent tsunamis in the philippines.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/02...-tsunami-alert
Old 03-20-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johansenk View Post
I was just in my local shop today and they said production has stopped since the plant where they are made was wiped out by a tsunami...can anybody confirm?
That is a big FUD! Some gunshops will say anything to sell you something else.

Check out www.dechielfirearms.com, he is based in Chula Vista and has a tactical model in stock for $475.
Old 03-20-2010, 3:13 PM

Ammo Bros. in Cerritos is out of stock of the 1911 GI model, but they will give you a raincheck if you ask the store manager. They will honor the sale price for a few months until they get re-stocked ( I was told they might be getting delivery of 10-15 GI models by middle of next week ).

I got my raincheck...now I can better budget for it.

"Comparison is the thief of joy" T. Roosevelt

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." J.Cooper
Old 03-20-2010, 5:58 PM

I wish you didnt tell me that Bentot, haha. I have to wait 28 days to buy another pistol anyways, I'm sure it will be scooped up

"25 States allow anyone to buy a gun, strap it on, and walk down the street with no permit of any kind: some say it's crazy. However, four out of five US murders are committed in the other half of the country: so who's crazy?"
-- Andrew Ford
Old 03-20-2010, 11:07 PM

I had one of the RIA GI models as well. I can say this if you keep them stock they work fine for the most part. However mine at least was out of spec on almost every major dimension. Throat/barrel ramp angle was off, the tang on the grip safety was neither springfield or colt spec, (.220 vs .250 weird i know) trigger bow slot was overcut( four different triggers fit sloppy) the front sight tenon slot was slightly crooked and the ejection port was cut slightly askew. There was other things but rather than invest a ton i sold it for about what i had into it and went onto something else. It did feed and shoot fine but to me i realized it is a copy of a copy. The machining wasnt bad for what it was i just think i got a dud. I would get another if the price was right but i wouldnt choose one over a colt in any circumstance.