Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 06-10-2017, 7:57 PM

Default looking for a long range target 357/9mm bullet

Trying to find a good accurate bullet for 100 plus dressing a 127 grain right now . I'm shooting a Mac 35 by invoairtech ,great gun but have tried several different bullets , seems the 127 grain is the best so far. Looking for better accuracy
Old 06-10-2017, 9:21 PM

Have ya tried these guys?
https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/
Old 06-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
Have ya tried these guys?
https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/
Nielsen makes good ammo, I second this, you could also check out Mr Hollow Point.
http://www.mrhollowpoint.com/
Old 06-12-2017, 8:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Nielsen is good, aeromagnum is also good if you can find it.
Old 06-13-2017, 8:01 AM

The most accurate .357 firearm rounds tend to be 140 grain hollow base wadcutters. They are generally .358 diameter. If your airgun can chamber them, they will be very accurate well beyond 150 yards. They will lose a lot of velocity but they will remain stable even when they're barely moving. Being cast of soft lead, 800 fps is about as fast as you can push them without leading. At that range and speed they won't be useful for much but putting holes in paper but the groups tend to be small.

My favorite hunting handgun has a Bergara .35 Whelen barrel blank cut down and chambered in .357. My favorite hunting round (now illegal for hunting in the late great state of CA) is a .357 mag cartridge with a 140gr wadcutter (.158) pushed to 1050 fps. I use puff-lon and a wool patch between the soft lead and the powder. I get no leading and it's like a laser beam. Since it's a breech loader, as I suspect your air rifle is, the pressure won't blow the skirt off. The pistol can out shoot me on my best day. If your gun uses a rotary magazine and a forcing cone, as is the case with revolvers, then the skirt may tear off if you push beyond 800fps.

Anyway, depending on how your airgun feeds, you may be able to get away with higher velocity. I'm not familiar with the big bore PCP airguns. I limit my airgun hunting to smallish critters and .22 gas springers or CO2 if it's a nice hot day.

Edit: Before posting, I decided to check out your rifle.... That's one of the most awesome freaking things I've seen in my entire life and it's changed my entire outlook on PCP guns. They always seemed like more hassle than they're worth. Might be time for an upgrade! Thank you for posting your question as it just opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me.
But still, try the wadcutters, they're inherently accurate and stable if you can deal with the rainbow trajectory. Your gun seems to use the same principle as a springer, i.e. high pressure with a short burst vs. most pcp and CO2 guns use lower pressure with a higher volume of air. Guns that use high volume tend to like heavier bullets while those that use high pressure with less volume tend to like lighter bullets. I suspect your gun won't like the heavier bullet but you never know. The most accurate air rifles in the world are sending diabolo wadcutters down range at a blistering 350-500 fps.

I'll shut up now, this gun is very interesting. I'm a bit excited and am rambling. Again, thanks for posting this!

Old 06-13-2017, 8:00 PM

Not sure the MAC 35 can push bigger slugs as the cartridge does not put out enough air. If anyone can help you it's Nick from /nielsenspecialtyammo.com What fps is your gun pushing 127 gr? What is the best accuracy you have achieved with it at 100 yards? The several I have seen were not very impressive past 50 yards, wondering what Inovairtech has chosen as a twist rate, Talk to Nick and see if he can accompany you to shoot the gun, bet he can find something to work.

Last edited by Crosman999; 06-13-2017 at 8:05 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 4:47 PM

Default mac 35

Im shooting the 127-135 grain , i machine my own shapes from the soft lead bullets i buy now, I talked to paul from Invoairtech and he recomended the 110 grain to reach out past 100 yards , im shooting 4500 psi and im not getting a bad group at 100 yards and 900 to 1000 fps. I waiting for them to do the fat mac magnum they are developing now it will be a full 1 inch diameter 4500 psi cartrige and will be 257 cal gun with the same barrett look , Im deff on there list for this gun and will be the gun for the 200 yards im trying to achieve, This gun will deff change air guns as you know them now, Im keeping my fingers crossed for them as they are great guys with a great gun

thank you and everybody that have answered me back, Does anyone go to the air guns of arizona extreme bench rest competition they have every year , check out there videos on youtube you will want to go just watching it
Old 06-14-2017, 9:37 PM

Well I know Nick and Tom Costan have developed a 95 gr that we use out of the Slayer that achieves 3" at 400 yards. That may be a good slug for you to try!
Old 07-08-2017, 2:56 PM

Tried the round 58 grn bullet with great success . This changes my target shooting by alot and thanks for the advice to try it. I'm consistently shooting 6 in target at 150 plus yards