Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-15-2012, 2:39 PM

Default Transporting firearms to the range

I want to ask......I plan to go to a local range about 10 miles from my home and want to know how I should transport my firearms. I have 4 handguns of various calibers and one rifle. Of course they all will be in the back in the trunk, but want to find out if they need to be in a hardened case, or locked up or what.
Also where should the ammo be stored? I assume in a seperate container in the trunk, but thats all I am aware of.
Please any advice, thanx.
Old 10-15-2012, 2:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

lOCKED TRUNK FOR HANDGUNS OR LOCKED CASE IF NO LOCKING TRUNK. DOES NOT NEED TO BE HARDCASE . STATE LAW ONLY SAYS LOCKED CASE. LOTS OF POSTS ON THIS. AMMO WITH GUNS IS FINE JUST NOT IN FIREARM IN ANY FASHION. CHAMBER/ LOADED MAG IN FIREARM BIG NO NO.

Last edited by edgerly779; 10-15-2012 at 3:01 PM.. Reason: SPELLING
Old 10-15-2012, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

You do not have to store your ammo separately, they can be in the same locked container as your weapon. Trunk counts as locked container. Weapons cannot be loaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRazz View Post
I don't wish to be known as a set of tits behind a gun.
Old 10-15-2012, 3:31 PM

Thank you very much. I was a little fuzzy on this. Sure appreciate the input.
Old 10-16-2012, 5:50 AM
Veteran Member

Ammo can be in speedfeed stock or ammo pouch or sling loops and whatnot and the firearm is still not loaded, but keep all loaded magazines out of the mag well.
Old 10-16-2012, 5:55 AM

If your back seat has a pass through or the seat folds down and you can access the trunk from the car, this is not considered a locked container. You must either lock the seat back so the trunk can't be accessed or you must have the pistols in a locked bag or case.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown

Last edited by savannah; 10-16-2012 at 6:49 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

Good point on locking the folding seatbacks. A few cars don't have that feature or the owners don't know where to lock it.
Old 10-16-2012, 6:36 AM

My rear seat has a narrow part in the middle that I fold down at times to accomodate fishing poles. I am aware of this feature. It also has a buliut in lock. I will make sure this feature is all the way back and is locked. Thank you for pointing this out. I forgot all about this.
Old 10-19-2012, 2:49 AM

my gun shop told me no ammo in the same case with the pistol.

can any officer confirm if i can have loaded mags and empty-mag-well pistol in ONE same case. like the picture, i have 6 mags total.

thanks in advance

Old 10-19-2012, 6:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post
my gun shop told me no ammo in the same case with the pistol.

can any officer confirm if i can have loaded mags and empty-mag-well pistol in ONE same case. like the picture, i have 6 mags total.

thanks in advance

Mags in the same box but not inside gun is not considered a loaded firearm.

You can have shells inside a speedfeed stock or on a side saddle and your gun is not loaded as well.

The gun store is telling you to be conservative, which is fine, but it is not the law. I would recommend a box that has separate compartments though like the ones with pouches for magazines or some elastic bands that hold each one separately.

BTW, I see lots of firearm owning Asians who brew their own alcohol around these parts.
Old 10-19-2012, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
If your back seat has a pass through or the seat folds down and you can access the trunk from the car, this is not considered a locked container. You must either lock the seat back so the trunk can't be accessed or you must have the pistols in a locked bag or case.
Yup. A very close friend of mine got arrested for deuce (dumba**) and during the inventory search, he had guns in the trunk. Non-lockable fold-down seats was considered accessible. He was charged with all, but luckily the judge only found him guilty of the deuce.
"Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen."
-- Sir Robert Peel
Old 10-23-2012, 6:29 AM

What about transportation in an suv? I am a new shooter in CALIFORNIA, and still learning the laws here. I'm from MA , and had a ccw (ltc), the law there was different for me. I travel to the range with an AR in a soft case with mag pouches in the front. Also a pistol in a range bag with the rest of my gear. In the ar case do my mags have to be empty if they are stored in the pouches.? Does the pistol still need to be in a hard lockable case, or can it be in the range bag with a cable lock on it? I have just been getting so many conflicting answers, and want to be make sure I'm abiding by the law. Thank you.

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong location, im new to the forum..
Old 10-23-2012, 6:33 AM
Veteran Member

The law says locking case for handguns, no requirement for hard case. Unloaded for all firearms. Which means no loaded magazine in mag well and no round in the chamber. Magazines in same case okay. A lot of people play it safe and keep them separate, but not required, by the wording of the law.

An AR in a soft bag with loaded mags in the outside pouches would be fine.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike82110 View Post
What about transportation in an suv? I am a new shooter in CALIFORNIA, and still learning the laws here. I'm from MA , and had a ccw (ltc), the law there was different for me. I travel to the range with an AR in a soft case with mag pouches in the front. Also a pistol in a range bag with the rest of my gear. In the ar case do my mags have to be empty if they are stored in the pouches.? Does the pistol still need to be in a hard lockable case, or can it be in the range bag with a cable lock on it? I have just been getting so many conflicting answers, and want to be make sure I'm abiding by the law. Thank you.

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong location, im new to the forum..
Please see the wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Cable locks have no legal use in transporting.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Cable locks have no legal use in transporting.
could you please comment on that statement, reason being, I have one firearm, a Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm, which I take to the range about twice a month. I use a cable lock, similar to the one you see below, and, a Beretta plastic case, like the one below. I use the cable lock to wrap around the handle section of the case. Is this legally locked or not? It's lightweight and easy to transport, but I do have another alumimum locking case if this isn't legal

thnks
Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame View Post
could you please comment on that statement, reason being, I have one firearm, a Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm, which I take to the range about twice a month. I use a cable lock, similar to the one you see below, and, a Beretta plastic case, like the one below. I use the cable lock to wrap around the handle section of the case. Is this legally locked or not? It's lightweight and easy to transport, but I do have another alumimum locking case if this isn't legal

thnks
He was referencing a gun with a cable lock only, without being in a case. You are ok using the method in your pictures.
Old 10-24-2012, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
He was referencing a gun with a cable lock only, without being in a case. You are ok using the method in your pictures.
ok, i understand now, he was talking exactly about what you've just said

thank you for the quick reply
Old 10-24-2012, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Point is, the CASE, not the gun, has to be locked.
Old 10-24-2012, 9:44 PM
Banned

Are we still able to have our handguns transported openly? For instance on our passenger seat in plain sight?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
Are we still able to have our handguns transported openly? For instance on our passenger seat in plain sight?
No. Open carry of handguns was generally banned effective Jan 1 2012.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-25-2012, 2:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
No. Open carry of handguns was generally banned effective Jan 1 2012.
And open carry of long guns will follow soon enough next year thanks to the OC activists.