Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 01-03-2017, 3:40 PM

Default AB 2165 / PC 32000.(b)(6) ???

So does anyone know much about this? I'm hearing all kinds of things and we called the DOJ which would not answer any specific questions and just referred us to PC 3200 Sub B Paragraph 6 which didn't answer anything for us.

Could someone please explain this in plain English? Can LEO still ppt off roster firearms to non LEO? Are peace officers such as correctional officers also able to continue to ppt off roster firearms to non peace officers?
3636 Castro Valley Blvd #1
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 538-1686

Hours:
Tues-Sat: 11:00am-6:30pm

Elite Armory Plus
7601 W 11th Street
Tracy, CA 95304
(209) 362-2010

Hours:
Tues-Fri: 11:00am - 7:00pm
Sat-Sun: 10:00am - 8:00pm

*Follow us on Twitter and/or FaceBook for updates on what we have coming into the shop.
Old 01-03-2017, 3:48 PM

Yes they can still PPT stuff

The newly classified agents allowed to now buy off roster guns can not PPT their owned off roster guns.
Old 01-03-2017, 3:53 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJeds44 View Post
Yes they can still PPT stuff

The newly classified agents allowed to now buy off roster guns can not PPT their owned off roster guns.
... IF they got those off-Roster guns, in 2017 or later, by being exempt due to their employment.

OTOH, they may still PPT off-Roster guns they got by earlier PPT or by intrafamilial transfer or inheritance.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-03-2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
... IF they got those off-Roster guns, in 2017 or later, by being exempt due to their employment.

OTOH, they may still PPT off-Roster guns they got by earlier PPT or by intrafamilial transfer or inheritance.
Yep.
Old 01-03-2017, 4:34 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

What specifically are the new qualified agents?
3636 Castro Valley Blvd #1
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 538-1686

Hours:
Tues-Sat: 11:00am-6:30pm

Elite Armory Plus
7601 W 11th Street
Tracy, CA 95304
(209) 362-2010

Hours:
Tues-Fri: 11:00am - 7:00pm
Sat-Sun: 10:00am - 8:00pm

*Follow us on Twitter and/or FaceBook for updates on what we have coming into the shop.
Old 01-03-2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Armory View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

What specifically are the new qualified agents?
Here are the 'new' ones:

(A) The Department of Parks and Recreation.

(B) The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

(C) The Division of Investigation of the Department of Consumer Affairs.

(D) The Department of Motor Vehicles.

(E) The Fraud Division of the Department of Insurance.

(F) The State Department of State Hospitals.

(G) The Department of Fish and Wildlife.

(H) The State Department of Developmental Services.

(I) The Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

(J) A county probation department.

(K) The Los Angeles World Airports, as defined in Section 830.15.

(L) A K–12 public school district for use by a school police officer, as described in Section 830.32.

(M) A municipal water district for use by a park ranger, as described in Section 830.34.

(N) A county for use by a welfare fraud investigator or inspector, as described in Section 830.35.

(O) A county for use by the coroner or the deputy coroner, as described in Section 830.35.

(P) The Supreme Court and the courts of appeal for use by marshals of the Supreme Court and bailiffs of the courts of appeal, and coordinators of security for the judicial branch, as described in Section 830.36.

(Q) A fire department or fire protection agency of a county, city, city and county, district, or the state for use by either of the following:

(i) A member of an arson-investigating unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Section 830.37.

(ii) A member other than a member of an arson-investigating unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Section 830.37.

(R) The University of California Police Department, or the California State University Police Departments, as described in Section 830.2.

(S) A California Community College police department, as described in Section 830.32.

For LCM's here is the penal code (32405) applicable to the sale of such magazines to LEO's (pretty much covers all gun toting local/state/fed LEO regardless of agency name):

Penal Code Section 32405.
Section 32310 does not apply to the sale to, lending to, transfer to, purchase by, receipt of, possession of, or importation into this state of, a large-capacity magazine by a sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of that officer’s duties.

^

Last edited by Patfishandshoot; 01-03-2017 at 6:28 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

For this post 2017 PPT thing.. are we (FFLs) supposed to know this or will DOJ kick it back if one of these LEOs tries to PPT an off roster they recently received and didn't like? I just had an LEO (not in the above category) that purchased a Glock 43 that he didn't like as his carry piece (preferred his Ruger LC9s) and sold it off (in this case to his lucky brother). If he was in one of these new categories, how am I supposed know that? Especially, if they as the seller, don't have any reason to present me their exempt credentials in a sale scenario?
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
For this post 2017 PPT thing.. are we (FFLs) supposed to know this or will DOJ kick it back if one of these LEOs tries to PPT an off roster they recently received and didn't like? I just had an LEO (not in the above category) that purchased a Glock 43 that he didn't like as his carry piece (preferred his Ruger LC9s) and sold it off (in this case to his lucky brother). If he was in one of these new categories, how am I supposed know that? Especially, if they as the seller, don't have any reason to present me their exempt credentials in a sale scenario?
I doubt DOJ will cross check. Who is liable/penalized when this law is broken - is it the FFL or the seller?

If the FFL has any exposure, then I guess you have to start asking every single person who PPT sells:

1) are you Leo
(If yes)
2) are you one of the newly exempt Leos
(If yes)
3) did you acquire this gun using the exemption

Or you could just ask it as one long question. And you probably should collect affidavits of answers to those questions from every seller.

If the FFL has no exposure, then I wouldn't bother asking anything. After all, you dont ask sellers if the guns are stolen. It's on them.

I can't believe the DOJ has no guidance, but it is typical for them. They want everyone pro-gun to stumble into a crime.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-03-2017 at 11:40 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 6:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I doubt DOJ will cross check. Who is liable/penalized when this law is broken - is it the FFL or the seller?

If the FFL has any exposure, then I guess you have to start asking every single person who PPT sells:

1) are you Leo
(If yes)
2) are you one of the newly exempt Leos
(If yes)
3) did you acquire this gun using the exemption

Or you could just ask it as one long question. And you probably should collect affidavits of answers to those questions from every seller.

If the FFL has no exposure, then I wouldn't bother asking anything. After all, you dont ask sellers if the guns are stolen. It's on them.

I can't believe the DOJ has no guidance, but it is typical for them. They want everyone pro-gun to stumble into a crime.
The reason I have a little bit of worry is because I think Botach Tactical in Southern California got nailed when a person misrepresented her ID as an LEO and the gun was eventually used in a crime. The store was held liable for not knowing (or should have known) that the credentials were fake. There's some precedent.

Old reference: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...928-story.html

I don't recall what the results of that were.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Looks like the FFL -
Quote:
a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not process the sale or transfer of an unsafe handgun
and it appears doing that would be a violation of 32000(a)
Quote:

(a) A person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends an unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
In theory, DOJ could reject the PPT by matching the serial number of the gun with the existence of a LEO exception (after 2016, transferee is in the new class) on the earlier transfer and seeing if there is a LEO exception on the current transfer; no LEO exemption on this one, no transfer.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 01-04-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
In theory, DOJ could reject the PPT by matching the serial number of the gun with the existence of a LEO exception (after 2016, transferee is in the new class) on the earlier transfer and seeing if there is a LEO exception on the current transfer; no LEO exemption on this one, no transfer.
Does the DROS software have two different 'exception codes' for LEOs? If it doesn't, there isn't any way for the DoJ to know without additional information.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 PM

Wait... so I can get a job at DMV and buy off roster handguns? Slap me silly and call me Hillary!!!
Old 02-11-2018, 6:42 PM

I'm sure you all realize this but the DMV investigations unit has at least one 832 PC uninformed "investigator" (PEACE OFFICER) the Fire Dept.has arson inv. Officers. (PEACE OFFICER) etc even the post office has Ferdral Peace Officers and the Military has uniformed an UC Fed. Cops.

So I think someone is not seeing the broader picure...Could be me but I don't know what all the whoopla is about. I retired as an Los Angeles cop in 2014 and that does put me further out of the loop.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

PC32000 has absolutely nothing to do with peace officer status or even law enforcement status (in a traditional sense) for that matter. The only requirement is for individuals to be "sworn" members of the listed agencies i.e. custodial deputies, correctional officers, and security officers with limited peace officer powers from an SO may purchase under the original exemption while full POST, full powered peace officers from other organizations are under the new, "lesser" class.

This statute has everything to do with control and nothing to do with logic.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

Last edited by code_blue; 02-12-2018 at 9:43 AM..
Old 02-11-2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
The reason I have a little bit of worry is because I think Botach Tactical in Southern California got nailed when a person misrepresented her ID as an LEO and the gun was eventually used in a crime. The store was held liable for not knowing (or should have known) that the credentials were fake. There's some precedent.

Old reference: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...928-story.html

I don't recall what the results of that were.
Amelia Suarez the security guard plead no contest and was sentenced to 36 months probation, 300 hours of community service and to take a firearm safety class. Botach was convicted after a trial but I don't know what the sentence was.

She was a civilian employee of the Sheriffs Dept. and I do not believe was allowed to carry even on the job.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I know a CA FFL that when using his shop for a PPT makes you sign a form that you are not one of the 2nd tier cops trying to sell a off roster handgun acquired through their exemption from the roster.
Old 02-12-2018, 9:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Hmmm, this came back to life.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I know a CA FFL that when using his shop for a PPT makes you sign a form that you are not one of the 2nd tier cops trying to sell a off roster handgun acquired through their exemption from the roster.
Sadly, I think that is a very good idea due to the wording of the law since the CA FFL appears to be the one who is violating the law, yet also the one who has no means of knowing whether the law is being violated.

A CA FFL has no means of knowing that the firearm was transferred using a LEO exemption, nor what type of LEO the person is/was. The CA DOJ does not ask for the type of LEO for the DROS, so it is not directly recorded by means of the DES. I don't trust the courts to accept that the FFL did not know nor had no means of confirming how the firearm was transferred previously. At least if the FFL asks, then it shows that they attempted to ensure that they were not violating the law.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-13-2018, 7:18 AM

I contacte dJason Davis and he made up a form for me. Just a little extra insurance
Old 03-28-2018, 10:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCArmory View Post
I contacte dJason Davis and he made up a form for me. Just a little extra insurance
DOJ just released a form as well too.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 03-28-2018, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
DOJ just released a form as well too.
where would that form be? thanks
Old 03-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
where would that form be? thanks
5th page of bulletin sent out this morning.

Title of Bulletin: Assembly Bill 2165
BOF 1009 (Rev 01/2018)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Last edited by ugimports; 03-28-2018 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: added title and form info
Old 03-28-2018, 10:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
5th page of bulletin sent out this morning.

Title of Bulletin: Assembly Bill 2165
BOF 1009 (Rev 01/2018)
I don't see where that "gets us off the hook" if the person does not identify their duties in a ppt situation
Old 03-28-2018, 11:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I don't see where that "gets us off the hook" if the person does not identify their duties in a ppt situation
Correct, I meant that it was a form to document that type of PPT. I probably didn't read this thread properly when I responded since it's the exact opposite of what was being discussed.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 03-28-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The form does not. It's not a bad idea to have a lawyer right up a document like OCARMORY did or have the seller sign something saying they did not acquire the firearm through the AB2165 exemption.
Old 03-28-2018, 2:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

How is a FFL supposed to know to use the CA DOJ form? The seller has to admit how they got the firearm and they only way that they might admit it is if they are asked, which means that a FFL has to question anyone selling an off-roster firearm to see how they got it. Not a good position to be in because if you don't think that the person is telling the truth or refuses to say, what is to be done?

Old 03-30-2018, 3:01 PM

Useless form. If I identify a non-compliant transfer, we STOP. If the transfer is legit, then the form is not applicable.

I saw one other person say it, but I love telling members of these agencies that The State of California considers them Second Class Law Enforcement, and that their right to sell personally owned property is being infringed. With a nearly 100% response rate is "I don't care, I'll sell it if I want" and "my chief said they were gonna fix that".
Old 04-13-2018, 9:24 AM

Sorry for being a little confused, but so as of today 4/13/18 is it still legal for LEO's (not of the newly classified agents) to PPT off roster handguns to non LEO's?
Old 04-13-2018, 9:33 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeeJay View Post
Sorry for being a little confused, but so as of today 4/13/18 is it still legal for LEO's (not of the newly classified agents) to PPT off roster handguns to non LEO's?
yes

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 04-13-2018, 9:37 AM

Quote:
yes
Thank you sir much appreciated! Calling the DOJ is like watching CNN lol.