Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 7:33 PM

Default Joining Army...How to keep AR at home?

Hello everyone, up until today I was going to sell my AR15 so my family would not be burdened keeping up with all the new laws.

I'm wondering, is it feasible to store the AR with a lock going through the ejection port in detached upper, keeping it in the safe seperate from the lower in order to avoid conflict with future laws?

As in, if this crazy new governer were to ban semi-automatic rifles or attempt similar infringments, would my AR15 being stored in this manner be ok?

I do not want to have any trouble while I'm across the country.
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2019, 9:52 AM

Are you the only person with access to the safe? If so, you're probably good. Current regs define a lower completely detached from an upper as non semi auto.

Leaving a firearm in the custody of another can be deemed a transfer, but I would be reasonably confident that doesn't apply if you are the only one with access to the safe.

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM

A cable lock through the magazine well/ejection port is enough to legal store. Or get a small gun cabinet
WTS Various Mosin Nagant rifles. M91/30s, M38 & M91/59s PM me for info
WTB Walther PPK /Colt Mustang or Government .380
Apply for FFL Type 03 here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/instruc...rearms-license
Apply for California COE here: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert-eligibility
Old 01-12-2019, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Are you the only person with access to the safe? If so, you're probably good. Current regs define a lower completely detached from an upper as non semi auto.

Leaving a firearm in the custody of another can be deemed a transfer, but I would be reasonably confident that doesn't apply if you are the only one with access to the safe.
I will have my brother knowing how to access and assemble the rifle if needed to defend himself and our family..
Old 01-12-2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsocal_dave View Post
A cable lock through the magazine well/ejection port is enough to legal store. Or get a small gun cabinet

Will have both a cable lock and safe set up. The shotgun will be ready for quick access however inside of the safe, unrestricted.
Old 01-12-2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/22 View Post
I will have my brother knowing how to access and assemble the rifle if needed to defend himself and our family..
Theoretically, if this were a law school final, I could argue that is a transfer without the use of an FFL in violation of Penal Code sec. 27545. Of course, the likelihood of that ever coming up is very low.

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Old 01-12-2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Theoretically, if this were a law school final, I could argue that is a transfer without the use of an FFL in violation of Penal Code sec. 27545. Of course, the likelihood of that ever coming up is very low.
Well **** friend. What do I do? I want my family to be safe but none of them want a firearm in their name.
Old 01-12-2019, 6:02 PM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

They can’t be safe with your gun. They need their own.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2003 View Post
They canít be safe with your gun. They need their own.
This.
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 01-13-2019, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2003 View Post
They canít be safe with your gun. They need their own.
Guess I'll have to explain this to them. Thanks
Old 01-13-2019, 3:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/22 View Post
Well **** friend. What do I do? I want my family to be safe but none of them want a firearm in their name.
So theyíre willing to defend themselves with your gun, but not willing to own one of there own? I donít understand that.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
A caveat on this. Since the separation of upper/lower regulation was promulgated for registration, and not possession, it may not be applicable to possession.

The argument is that the statute exempted the registration regs from the Administrative Procedures Act (APA). But, possession regulations arenít exempt from APA, so the regulation definitions canít transfer.

That seems to be borne out by DOJís submittal of the registration language as separate possession regulations through the APA process.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
A caveat on this. Since the separation of upper/lower regulation was promulgated for registration, and not possession, it may not be applicable to possession.

The argument is that the statute exempted the registration regs from the Administrative Procedures Act (APA). But, possession regulations arenít exempt from APA, so the regulation definitions canít transfer.

That seems to be borne out by DOJís submittal of the registration language as separate possession regulations through the APA process.
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...0&postcount=51

The definition of semi-automatic with regards to a separated upper/lower not being semi is found in 5471. OAL just approved the use of 5471 definitions not only for registration purposes but general AW identification.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

fud from dave lock up so only you have access. cable lock meaningless. If your bro has access not your ar anymore.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If it is a RAW- then follow the Registered Assault Weapon storage rules

If it is legal and featureless, lock it in a case. Place that locked case in the family safe and don’t sweat it. As I understand it, a firearm stored at a relatives house and they do not have access to the firearm- eg it’s in a locked case- is not a loan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a7dQXilCo
ďScience is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.Ē
ó Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 01-14-2019, 6:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...0&postcount=51

The definition of semi-automatic with regards to a separated upper/lower not being semi is found in 5471. OAL just approved the use of 5471 definitions not only for registration purposes but general AW identification.
Excellent. Thanks.