Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-17-2010, 3:30 PM

Default 16" barrel and muzzle break?

If I purchase a 16" barrel for my AR do I have to permanently attach the muzzle break? The break costs almost as much as the barrel and in time I'd like to remove the muzzle break and put it on a future barrel when my current one wears out.

So I want to put locktite on it as a semi-permanent configuration instead of a solder that's permanent.
Old 07-17-2010, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If the barrel is 16 inch you do not have to permanently attach the break.
Old 07-17-2010, 3:39 PM
Calguns Addict

sigh. brake. brake. brake.
Old 07-17-2010, 3:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

brake. brake. brake.
Old 07-17-2010, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

If the muzzle is broken, it may not be very accurate and could be dangerous to fire.

A 16" barrel is already legal length (measured from the closed bolt face to the front of the bore). Adding a BRAKE will only make it that much longer, but not "more legal".
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 07-17-2010, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Dude, you're from Bakersfield! You just destroyed our reputation.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 07-17-2010, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Dude, you're from Bakersfield! You just destroyed our reputation.
Wasn't born here.

However, a few years ago I was at Camp Pendleton, CA and I scored expert marksman on their pistol range. The Marines watching said, "bah you're from Bakersfield, there's nothing else to do there but shoot!"

it's a give/take relationship.
Old 07-17-2010, 5:57 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

+1 on the above...

And on a compensator or flash hider (okay, muzzle device) being used to bring a 14.5 or shorter barrel to 16", neither Loctite nor solder meet the permanency requirement. It must be drilled and blind pinned with the pin welded or brazed in place, even though it could be argued that a blind pin is permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-17-2010, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
+1 on the above...

And on a compensator or flash hider (okay, muzzle device) being used to bring a 14.5 or shorter barrel to 16", neither Loctite nor solder meet the permanency requirement. It must be drilled and blind pinned with the pin welded or brazed in place, even though it could be argued that a blind pin is permanent.
Too expensive and before it is attached I could lose my rights by a LEO. Not worth the risk...plus I get 50-100fps more with the extra couple inches.
Old 07-17-2010, 6:36 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
Too expensive and before it is attached I could lose my rights by a LEO. Not worth the risk...plus I get 50-100fps more with the extra couple inches.
Pick up an 80% lower, machine it into a legal firearm, add a pistol buffer tube that cannot accept a buttstock, and you're good to go on possession of a short barrel.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-17-2010, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Pick up an 80% lower, machine it into a legal firearm, add a pistol buffer tube that cannot accept a buttstock, and you're good to go on possession of a short barrel.
If I don't have the money to have a shorter barrel with a compensator then I do not have the money to invest in tools to complete a 80% lower.
Old 07-17-2010, 7:11 PM

Use some JB weld. You would need a pipe wrench to take it off.
Old 07-17-2010, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi357 View Post
Perfect thanks!
Old 07-17-2010, 7:38 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi357 View Post
Not needed, not legal if it were needed, and not likely to be able to get it off without damaging the threads... especially using a pipe wrench.

If the barrel is 16" it's legal.
Just properly mount the muzzle device with the proper indexing washer(s) to the proper torque and it won't come off.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2010, 8:11 PM

The only thing I can think of is, over all length has to be 30in. or better with stock collapsed. I don't know how true this is but a gun smith told me that from collapsed stock to end of barrel measures under 30in. with out muzzle device the muzzle device needs to be permanently attached to make 30in. or over.
Old 07-17-2010, 8:22 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHiggmo View Post
The only thing I can think of is, over all length has to be 30in. or better with stock collapsed. I don't know how true this is but a gun smith told me that from collapsed stock to end of barrel measures under 30in. with out muzzle device the muzzle device needs to be permanently attached to make 30in. or over.
That information is incorrect.

The permanency requirement is due to constructive possession laws related to Federal NFA firearms.
There are no constructive possession laws related to California assault weapon laws, permanency is not required.

The 30" OAL requirement is a California assault weapon statute.
The gun must be minimum 30" OAL with the stock collapsed to it's shortest operable position (Kel-Tec SU-16B is good to go because it cannot be fired when the stock is folded).
Federal law says that the OAL must be no less than 26" with the stock in it's EXTENDED position.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2010, 8:31 PM

Good to know! That is what I thought to but all the M4 type carbines he has in his shop are blind-pinned. I hate to destroy a good fire pig.
Old 07-17-2010, 8:34 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHiggmo View Post
Good to know! That is what I thought to but all the M4 type carbines he has in his shop are blind-pinned. I hate to destroy a good fire pig.
Probably because a true M4 build has a 14.5" barrel with a muzzle device mounted (and pinned) to bring it to 16".

The Military M4 does not have a 16" barrel.

And BTW: A 16" barrel on an AR15 lower is going to be over 30" minimum OAL with the stock collapsed.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2010, 8:43 PM

As long as you have a muzzle device on it. Mine comes to 29.5" with out. It doesn't matter with mine though, its registered. As long as it doesn't go below 26" I'm good to go.
Old 07-17-2010, 9:51 PM

Lets call it a "gas operated forward gun pusher" instead of a muzzle brake (break)