Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-13-2014, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditryin View Post
Just finished One Second After (per this thread) and its a great one! :-) well worth the $3 bucks... Get it if you haven't already. I never gave much thought to this SHTF scenario but.... WOW!! Scary... Very scary
I liked this 'One Second After' also, but it's Total SHTF scenario...

bv
Old 07-13-2014, 9:47 PM

I'm currently on 3rd book in d.j. molles series of the remaining. if you liked day by day, or Adrian's undead diaries, definitely worth your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
You have not been here long enough to see how low they can really go.
Old 07-14-2014, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Try Castigo Cay by Matthew Bracken.
Downloaded it on Kindle. Not really the type of SHTF I was expecting. I guess it’s a more likely type of personal SHTF/political than the total collapse/emp type of stuff. It’s almost a secret agent type of book. Anyway, I liked it. Thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Glad you liked it. I agree it's not in the total societal collapse category, but I think it's a more realistic scenario. I think he may make it into a series, so it will be interesting to see where it goes.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 07-14-2014, 7:23 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Just finished a trilogy from Scott Sigler.

Infected
Contagious
Pandemic

REALLY well written and worth your time. More alien invasion rather than zombies, but I liked it.

Download the ebooks from your library. Did the whole series for free.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 07-15-2014, 8:17 AM

I'm two books in to Kelli Otting's Liberty Dying series and enjoying it very much. It's well written, and one of the main characters is unique for this type of novel.

Old 07-16-2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
I'm two books in to Kelli Otting's Liberty Dying series and enjoying it very much. It's well written, and one of the main characters is unique for this type of novel.
Thanks - added to wish list. I'm in the middle of A. American's 4th book in the Survivalist Series - Forsaking Home. So far so good - I really enjoy this series. It's a good balance of how to and action.
Old 07-16-2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
Downloaded it on Kindle. Not really the type of SHTF I was expecting. I guess it’s a more likely type of personal SHTF/political than the total collapse/emp type of stuff. It’s almost a secret agent type of book. Anyway, I liked it. Thanks
This is next on my to read list.
Old 07-17-2014, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT4ME View Post
Thanks - added to wish list. I'm in the middle of A. American's 4th book in the Survivalist Series - Forsaking Home. So far so good - I really enjoy this series. It's a good balance of how to and action.
I'm all caught up on the Survivalist Series, anxiously awaiting the next installment. I agree it's one of the better series in the genre.

Old 07-17-2014, 8:26 AM

Quote:
This is next on my to read list.
Bump it down. There's a lot of books I'd read before Castigo Cay. It certainly wasn't a bad book, but it never got nearly as entertaining as his Enemies novels.
Old 07-17-2014, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Bump it down. There's a lot of books I'd read before Castigo Cay. It certainly wasn't a bad book, but it never got nearly as entertaining as his Enemies novels.
Damn Enemies series was so good - figured anything by Bracken was top notch
Old 07-17-2014, 6:16 PM
Veteran Member

Lucifer's Hammer has my vote. I've read it several times.

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Old 07-17-2014, 6:19 PM

I agree that Castigo Cay is not as good as the Enemies series. It's also almost a different genre. Nevertheless, there are some common themes, and I think it's worth a read.

I can list SHTF books that are better, but I think you've read most of those LMT. There are many more SHTF books that are worse.

Old 07-17-2014, 7:03 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Try Castigo Cay by Matthew Bracken.
Matt was given away his books for free on ferfals site

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2014/07/f...y-matthew.html
Old 07-17-2014, 7:06 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Damn Enemies series was so good - figured anything by Bracken was top notch
I just got that trilogy for free on my kindle. Glad to hear it is a good read.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 AM

I just finished The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (I think recommend ed on this thread).

It starts slow and is written in an odd, fragmented style but pretty entertaining.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 AM

Just finished the Homeostasis lost series by Kyan Yauchler. It's just a two book series, which apparently will be the end for this particular series.

Both books were good, if a bit predictable. There is good character development, which is unusual for this genre. The last third of the second book felt a bit rushed and disjointed, almost as if the author had run out of steam and just wanted to finish up the series quickly. Overall I would say not among the best, but worth a read.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
Lucifer's Hammer has my vote. I've read it several times.
I liked Lucifer's Hammer. I thought the post-event plot threads were fairly believable, for the most part. In particular, it seemed very realistic the way that smaller groups coalesced until you had open warfare between the largest of them.
Old 07-27-2014, 6:28 PM

Just got done reading Sanctuary: A Postapocalyptic Novel (The New World Series Book 3) by Micheal Hopf. Highly recommend the series.
Old 07-31-2014, 5:19 AM

Just finished Act of War by Brad Thor. Not a SHTF novel, but a great thriller about how it could happen. I think people who enjoy reading SHTF novels will enjoy this one.

Old 08-06-2014, 3:15 PM

Soon someone will pitch Patriots by Rawles, then someone will pounce on them cause he is not a novelist. But I like the way it can be used as a guide of sort as it is very specific in the methods to accomplish things like getting an ID with a differant name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaMasterTech View Post
So far, I've had six beers, four redbulls, eight twinkies and I'm REALLY afraid to fart!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM

299 Days IX: The Restoration is out. I haven't read it yet, but it's sure to be as good as the first 8 books in this series.

Old 08-07-2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
299 Days IX: The Restoration is out. I haven't read it yet, but it's sure to be as good as the first 8 books in this series.
Thanks - Next to read
Old 08-07-2014, 8:16 PM

I came across this list on

http://arizonagunowners.com/index.php/topic,7569.0.html

I agree with his ratings on most of the books I've read on his list. There are a couple I've not read so I need to check them out.

Here's his post:

So, over the past couple of years, I have been reading a lot of SHTF/Survivalist fiction, much of it being self-published Kindle pulp. Some of it is good, some of it is not-so-good, and some of it is just horrible. On the off chance that anyone's interested, here is my attempt to categorize everything I have read in terms of quality.

Five Stars - Classics and All-time Greats

Earth Abides, George Stewart. A classic SHTF/PA novel from the golden age of sci fi. A northern california man returns to the Bay Area after a global pandemic has wiped out 99% of the human population. The protagonist becomes the patriarch of a small tribe, which he guides as best he can while watching helplessly as humanity slips back into the stone age. In many ways, a very sad story.

Alas Babylon, Pat Frank. A 1959 story of survival in a small Florida town after a nuclear war.

Lucifer's Hammer, Niven and Pournelle. Prepping, bugging out and surviving an asteroid strike in California's central valley.

One Second After, Forstchen. The EMP book that started them all, a small North Carolina town tries to survive a super-EMP.

The Postman, David Brin. Written in the early 1980s, this book is evocative of classic 1950-60s scifi. Much better and significantly different from the Costner film of the same name.

The Road, Cormac McCarthy. Dark, bleak, depressing - everyone has probably read this already.

CyberStorm, Matthew Mather. A modern take on TEOTWAWKI for the smart phone generation.

Four Stars - Excellent, Well Above Average

Jeremy's Run Series, G.F. Gustav. This is a series of kindle novellas (L.A. Dark, Blood Loss, Run Through the Jungle) focusing on a group of 20-somethings living in Los Angeles during a nuclear strike. Snappy dialog, good action, extremely interesting characters.

The Jakarta Pandemic, Steven Konkoly. Family tries to survive a pandemic event by bugging-in in their surburban Maine neighborhood.

The Perseid Collapse series, Steven Konkoly. Family from The Jakarta Pandemic faces another disaster which may, or may not, include a meteor strike. The focus here is on action, civil unrest, armed resistance to the government, rogue militas, etc.

Joshua, John Wilson. Sort of a blue-collar, more accessible version of The Road. An unnamed man and an orphaned boy wander PA America looking for safety.

Against the Grain, Ian Daniels. Good action and snappy dialog as we follow a hard-core, tactically proficient, unnamed young man trying to survive the slow-motion collapse of America in a small pacific northwest town. The prequel Pillars in the Fall is not quite as good.

Bugging Out, Noah Mann. Dark, bleak and atmospheric. A single man tries to survive a disease that is destroying all plant life on earth. Set in northern Montana.

Patriots, Rawles. The prepper/threeper classic, part novel, part "how-to" manual for how to build your bug-out retreat. The U.S. suffers a financial meltdown and a multi-family prepper group must get to their remote bug-out location in Idaho's palouse. They face cannibals, bikers and UN peacekeepers. "WOLVERINES!!!"

The Remaining series, D.J. Molles. I generally don't do zombie books, but this series is very, very entertaining.

The Walk, Lee Goldberg. Man must walk home through Los Angeles after a massive earthquake, calling on some suprising inner-resources. Not really a SHTF/Prepper book, but pretty good.

Lights Out, David Crawford. It's One Second After with more gunplay. First 100 pages or so are a slog. Focus is on neighborhood protection after the super-EMP.

Three Stars - Good way to kill a couple of hours

77 Days in September, Ray Gorham. Man must get home from Texas to his family in Montana after the super-EMP. There are lot books with this theme. I think this is the best of them. The sequel Daunting Days of Winter, which explores the survival of a small town in Montana, is not as good.

Without, E.E. Borton. The earth's weather has gone crazy, and one tortured man braves a collapsing society on a journey to his parent's cabin in rural appalachia.

Fifty Falling Stars, Wesley Higginbotham. I read this last year, and thought it was entertaining, but don't remember too much else about it.

Going Home series, A. American. A super-EMP hits while a man is hundreds of miles from his home in the Florida panhandle. Fear not! He has the most extensive get-home bag ever prepped. If you've thought of it, it's in there! As the series progresses, our hero makes it home (yay!), then must survive in the face of corrupt local officials, looters, and the DHS who wants to herd everyone into fema camps. "WOLVERINES!".

Sedulity, David Forsyth. What would make Lucifer's Hammer better? A cruise ship, that's what.

Brushfire Plague, R.P. Ruggiero. Surbaban Portland neighborhood survives pandemic.

Curtain Fall, Kenneth Cary. Bad news - the Yellowstone Caldera's going to blow. Man prepares his south texas suburban home for the aftermath.

Surviving Abe, J.Z. O'Brien. Global warming driven superstorm wreaks havoc on the U.S., and terrorists use the opportunity to thin out the herd. Not too bad.

The Survivalist series, Arthur Bradley. Steely eyed federal marshall and his Buddhist convict father must (seperately) survive a pandemic that drives its survivors crazy. Not too bad.

Two Stars - Below Average

The Wayward Journey, Nathan Jefferson. Bad news. The New Madrid fault has let go causing an epic earthquake across the mid-west, and our hero must journey 1000 miles from Montana to get home. Formulaic.

Into Darkness, Doug Kelly. Let's get home after the super-EMP, by rafting the Missouri river. Nice premise; poor execution.

Grid Down, Reality Bites, Hemming and Freeman. Trapping is a useful skill. Wolves and feral dogs are dangerous. There, I just saved you twelve hours of reading.

Dark Days, Rough Roads, Matthew Mark. Super EMP gives meaning to the otherwise pointless life of a middle-aged, hospital security gaurd living in suburban Detroit, who finally gets a chance to prove his manhood.

Last Stand, Surviving America's Collapse, William H. Weber. Formulaic, neighborhood survives the super-EMP book.

Alone, Darrel Maloney. Man survives super EMP alone in his house by hiding from his neighbors. It's just as boring as that sounds.

The Journey, David Nelson. Boring tale of a couple of groups of people bugging out in the upper midwest.

Jernigan's War, Ken Gallender. "WOLVERINES!" Southern and Texas gun nuts take on the Chinese hordes after some sort of SHTF event that I can't recall at the moment. Hundreds die in ferocious gun battles, but the book still manages to be boring.

The Trashman, Terry McDonald. The Trashman forgot to take out this book.

One Star - Putting the S in SHTF

EMP: Equipping Modern Patriots, Jonathon Hollerman. Dumb, formulaic. Like a really bad version of Patriots.

The Survivors, Randy Hill.

What So Proudly We Hailed, James Howard. Religious pamphlet masquerading as a SHTF novel.
Old 08-07-2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post
I liked Lucifer's Hammer. I thought the post-event plot threads were fairly believable, for the most part. In particular, it seemed very realistic the way that smaller groups coalesced until you had open warfare between the largest of them.
Alas Babylon is similar.

Both of these books after reading a lot of sci fi over the years seem to be among the stories that are more consistent with events that have happen in other disasters just on a larger scale.

People like The Road. I'm lean more toward that's junk. People really don't eat people. And people that do don't survive till the end.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoup View Post
People like The Road. I'm lean more toward that's junk. People really don't eat people. And people that do don't survive till the end.
Someone forgot to tell the Donner party or those soccer players in that plane wreck that, I guess
Old 08-08-2014, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
Someone forgot to tell the Donner party or those soccer players in that plane wreck that, I guess
You beat me to it. Was going to mention the Donner Party.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Alas, Babylon and Lucifer's Hammer are my favorites
I really like the politics in Lucifer's Hammer. Gotta rebuild after the end.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone reading "The Last Policeman" trilogy? I've read the first one, started on the second. Good mystery combined with the end of life as we know it with a 4 mile wide asteroid about to hit Earth in 6 months.

Check it out.
Old 08-17-2014, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
Anyone reading "The Last Policeman" trilogy? I've read the first one, started on the second. Good mystery combined with the end of life as we know it with a 4 mile wide asteroid about to hit Earth in 6 months.

Check it out.
Never heard of it but sounds interesting. I'm still waiting for the last book of The Remaining by D.J. Molles....talk about a total thrill ride!
Old 08-17-2014, 7:59 AM
Veteran Member

Have all the classics on this list, read Lucifers Hammer when it came out...I met Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle at the LAFAS meeting in the 70s...Pournelle was, well wearing all Khaki and talking about the effect of a rifle round through a person of colors face...hmm...

Reading this stuff usually makes me want to fondle my guns and go through my Prep list!
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 08-17-2014, 9:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The best ones make good firestarters.
Old 08-19-2014, 5:49 PM

Finished 299 Days # 9. Not quite as good as the 1st 8 but it's last in the series.
Old 08-20-2014, 5:51 PM

Just finished The Directives, which is the 8th book in the Holding Their Own series by Joe Nobody. I continue to enjoy this series - it's one of the better ones out there.

I also read the last book in the 299 days series. I agree it wasn't as compelling as the other books in the series, but you need to read it if you've been following the series.

Old 08-20-2014, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I also read the last book in the 299 days series. I agree it wasn't as compelling as the other books in the series, but you need to read it if you've been following the series.
Its on book 9, I think its a 10 book series. The first book says 10 book series, then the sight says this is the last one.

Old 08-21-2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypriss32 View Post
Its on book 9, I think its a 10 book series. The first book says 10 book series, then the sight says this is the last one.
Perhaps this may not be the last book - found this on the 299 Days web site:

Quote:
This book ends the series in a way (but not really) with the final battle in Olympia and the beginnings of the Rebuilding.
I guess we'll have to wait and see ...

Old 08-21-2014, 6:39 PM

Just started the third of Bracken's Enemies series. Then I'm gonna give Patriots some run.

Looking forward to reading A Flame of Pure Fire about Jack Dempsey. Not necessarily SHTF but I need to switch up the genre. He is from the depression era.
Old 08-21-2014, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Perhaps this may not be the last book - found this on the 299 Days web site:

I guess we'll have to wait and see ...
Yes I saw that too, along with amazon. I check the first book the other day and it said 10 book series... HMMMM. IDK what can be left? The retake of Seattle?

Old 09-07-2014, 12:25 PM

A few I've read recently:

The Jakarta Pandemic (Prequel to the Perseid Collapse series) by Steven Konkoly - I enjoyed this book very much. Well written, good character development, and a great storyline. I am looking forward to reading the Perseid Collapse next.

Apocalypse Law 5: Liberty or Tyranny by John Grit - Another winner IMO. This series follows the story of a group of people in FL following a global pandemic. A few of the main characters are ex-military, so while some might find that it makes the book a little less realistic for the average person who doesn't have the benefit of that training and experience, I've enjoyed reading from that perspective. Another well written series, with good character development and a well conceived story line.

Madness Rules (the Survivalist Series) by Arthur Bradley - This is book 4 in this series. This series has an interesting, if perhaps improbable, story line. One of the characters is the daughter of the POTUS who is on the run from government agents trying to track her down to keep her quiet. I'm enjoying this series and look forward to the next book.

Old 09-07-2014, 7:37 PM

Recent books read:

Breakout (Final Dawn Book 3) - in progress good series.
Bunkers by Nicholas Antinozzi - Not bad but you're not going to like the ending but still a good read.
Check out Desperate Times by Nicholas Antinozzi
The Reset - great book but a little sic fi
Escape: The Doomsday Playbook Part 3 - keeps the series going
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo Saga) - excellent