Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-23-2014, 8:02 AM

I was stopped by the Forest Ranger K9 unit while on my way back home. I have the funniest story I need to share more details when I get back to the office Monday. I know some of you were worried about me. No he did not give me a ticket.
Old 03-23-2014, 8:21 AM

Default MAN, TEASING US ABOUT THE STORY IS NOT GOOD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
I was stopped by the Forest Ranger K9 unit while on my way back home. I have the funniest story I need to share more details when I get back to the office Monday. I know some of you were worried about me. No he did not give me a ticket.
LET ME GUESS, HE WANTED TO SEE IF THE REGISTRATION WAS OK???
Old 03-23-2014, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox485 View Post
Between the lack of credible cases where steel jacket has caused a fire on a dirt range (find me a range that uses dried peat for ground cover) and the fact that the study primarily indicates that if anything should be banned it is solid copper, I still call BS on the forest service, but what can you expect from a government bureaucracy that knows nothing about forests to begin with. Those idiots are 99% to blame for the deforestation in CA yet they throw their weight around like they have the first clue how to prevent fires.
^ This

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-23-2014, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Officer: "Sir...do you know how slow you were going?" Haha

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 PM
CGSSA Board Secretary
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

A Big Thanks to our sponsors for some of the wonderful and coveted raffle prizes: CampingSurvival.com and GotPink!!!

And to CALGUNS, the CGSSA and Lex and all of their considerate donations as well (bags, shirts, medial kits).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winners.jpg (92.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Moving Chicane; 03-27-2014 at 9:41 AM..
Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM
CGSSA Board Secretary

Quote:
When I saw your passenger producing the 8.5x11 paperwork, I WAS worried. But head nod to the thumbs up put me at ease.....I hope he didn't detain you too long... he looked a little too serious IMO.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:55 PM

Here are the documents I made with suggested items to have on-hand for whatever life may throw at you. Stock up now because these won't be available after things go down.

Survival Medical Supplies and Medications

Any comments, suggestions or errors please let me know so I can update it.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:58 PM
CGSSA Board Secretary

I think we ended up with a group of 20. Thanks to you all who came out.

Between 3 great knowledge stations (Solar, Medical, and Water Filtration) and a couple of hours, the raffle, and tours of Lex's amazing beast (aside from the truck, the the man himself is a wealth of knowledge), we had some chillin' and grillin' happening which ran pretty much non-stop through 3:45/4pm (when we closed up).

Highlights for me included:
-The well-mannered group of attendee's we had. From our resident mad-Hawaiian to our EMT team to BIG truck drivers; everyone got along, kept with the program, honored the shooting line, and were a great group to be with. If it were always this good, outings would be so much more pleasant.
-The knowledge present. From solar to medical to water filtration (AND all the side conversations going on all day like the BOB "emptying", fire starters, meds, etc.), it was pretty damn good. Listen folks, when you put these on you never can count on anything; and yet, IMO we scored good speakers with good knowledge. Outstanding.
-The toys: Peoples personal cars and trucks, Lex's Duece, several .308s and Glocks shooting at tortilla flats, large format knives, and on and on and on. Not enough $!
-The food: We ended up with too much although it seemed we started with too little. ha!
-The clean-up: I want to thank you all for using the trash bags and cans. I picked up maybe 3 things before checking us out - Thank you!
-The people again: Several of you I'd "hang out" with if I only remembered your names, lived closer, and had time. Thanks for being cool everyone.

And we learned that from our shooting line, using repo4sale's laser range finder (thx buddy!), it was:
-151 yards to the left hand side dirt berm/hill (AKA: tortilla flats)
-179 yards to the dead center rock formation with some green/grass growing right in the middle of the wall (AKA: the face)

And some random pictures (PM me with an email and I'll send you the original LARGE image files):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMlineup.jpg (96.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg therig.jpg (93.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg solarlessons.jpg (97.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg medlessons.jpg (96.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg wealthofknowlex.jpg (72.9 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Moving Chicane; 03-23-2014 at 1:29 PM..
Old 03-23-2014, 12:59 PM
CGSSA Board Secretary

A couple more photos (some of you had camera/cell phone pictures as well - post them up or send them to me and I'll post them!!!!):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shootingline.jpg (97.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg D2.jpg (93.2 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg lineup2.jpg (95.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg scene.jpg (95.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg freedom.jpg (43.3 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Moving Chicane; 03-23-2014 at 1:15 PM..
Old 03-23-2014, 1:50 PM

One that I took.

https://www.google.com/maps/views/vi...tch=90&fovy=75
Old 03-23-2014, 2:32 PM

Old 03-23-2014, 2:38 PM
CGSSA Board Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyy View Post
Very cool! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2014, 9:28 PM

Marksmanship is a perishable skill. We should go more often. So, when are we going again?
Old 03-24-2014, 7:38 AM

First of all, how about them Salsa by Zatoh? I told you they are the best. Zatoh such a good sport he was just there to cook and hang out he didnt even shoot and paid the entrance fee. Huge thanks to Zatoh. He got us the Calguns World famous Salsa and grill vegetables.

Traffic Stop: Alright, so I was wave down by the forest ranger K9 unit. He stated that I was in violation due to my Radiation stickers, and he walked to the front bumper and didnt see a front license plate. So he asked for my driver license, registration and verification of insurance. So to make the long story short he wants to give me a citation. Secondly, he asked me if I have any guns in my truck and I ask him for probable cause. He said he has the right to inspect them. So, I told if I dont let u see them would u arrest me? He didnt answer, so ok. I just do it to make him satify. Once I open up my camper. He said it so loud "Wow..... This is the coolest truck I have ever seen" He was drooling and giving my thumbs up. So he check my guns and no problem of course. Anyway, he stopped me because he wants to check out my ride. It is almost like a cop stop a hot chick just to check her out. What an @$$. If he waved me down and ask to see my setup I would gladly do it. He abused his power to get what he wants.....

People: It was perfect. We had nice space and was not crowed. If we have 30-35 it would not turn out to be that good. All of the gunners are good people and love to hang out again and again. No trouble from any of them. Thumbs up for them...

Food: Too much and too good. Did I mentioned the Salsa? LOL... Awesome

Instructors: They know their stuffs and it was short and sweet. I learned a lot it was a great bonus besides the typical food and shoot.

Range: Every one practice safety all the way....

Gifts: More gifts than people. Everyone wins....

Here is our watch commander using the build in loud speaker.

Nothing beat shooting a 308 on top of a truck.

Besides having a great time I also met some really nice guys....

Last edited by Lex; 09-24-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 9:33 AM

I've been to a couple of CalGuns Burro shoots and honestly, this was hands down the best one yet.

Everyone was friendly, followed safety rules, were generous (food, offering their firearms for others to use, letting us climb on their tanks/truck).

The classes/sessions were very useful.

Our solar class gave some great ideas as to what to realistically expect from an off grid solar system as well as what to expect cost wise.

Our medical station was terrific. I have quite a few of the items displayed (CAT, Israeli bandages, airway systems, etc), and had working "knowledge" of how to use them, but to see them demonstrated was very valuable. (Additionally your entire crew of EMT's were super friendly and personable).

Lastly, Lex, you had some great impromptu setups for do it yourself water filters using ceramic bulbs filters. At least one of those I am going to make a variation of for home use.

I was surprised by how much food was brought. I knew we were going to need more grills but seriously, we had enough food that cooking went on for almost 2 hours (the custom pepper burger was awesome, as well as the chicken and elk sausage)

Lastly, a big thanks to our "Range Master" who stepped up to volunteer for the job. (And for letting me fire literally the 5th bullet ever through your sweet Scar-17 setup).
Old 03-24-2014, 9:44 AM

I have to say... our "Range Master" was awesome.... and he has some nice toys too.
Old 03-24-2014, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

I am so bummed that I missed this. Especially since I've been coordinating with Lex to make this happen.

On the good side, the wife is feeling better. Still on some plain food for the next couple of day's but getting back to 100%.

Anybody got pics of the winner's of the camping survival raffle? If so please send them to me raymond.chiu (at) cgssa.org.

Also if you can please send a quick email to Camping Survial and thank them for helping sponsor this event. http://www.campingsurvival.com/contactus.html or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Campi...1221510?ref=ts

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 03-24-2014, 8:06 PM

so whens the next one? haha
Old 03-24-2014, 8:35 PM

We r working on a future event that we can camp over night. It will be a two days event.
Old 03-24-2014, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We r working on a future event that we can camp over night. It will be a two days event.
Perhaps blm land so nobody gets miffed about bimetal this time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2014, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Perhaps blm land so nobody gets miffed about bimetal this time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
yes that would be awesome
Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 AM

I'm def in for an overnight shoot.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider157 View Post
yes that would be awesome
I don't have the resources to organize (it's a crap shoot if I can even make things like this these days), but here's what I'm thinking in case anybody is wondering or wants to run with it:

- It isn't sponsored by anybody, just a bunch of people that happen to go camp in the same general area and happen to have CGN forum handles
- Courses, vendors, etc., just happen to be there if individuals feel like it
- A common firing line is respected because it just makes sense

Here is one place just as an example (decent access for IE/SD areas, but it is pretty far SE for some)

Old 03-25-2014, 1:44 PM

What's the location of that?
Old 03-25-2014, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyy View Post
What's the location of that?
Jeremy: http://bit.ly/1mtrx9R

Old 03-25-2014, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdier View Post
Cute, but there is a specific location for that spot. It is well known, and easy to access, but is far enough out in BFE that is isn't normally real busy, and stays pretty clean (and bloody well better stay that way if you go down there).

*niped by request. Google is your friend. It isn't hard, but I'm not throwing kindling on an ongoing drama.*

North of the tracks is camping and riding (most of the riders wimp out when temps go above 95), and South (towards the mountain) is one giant shooting range.

ETA: And BTW, this is just one idea. I'm sure there are better more central places more in the San Bernardino direction, I just don't know them well.

Last edited by inbox485; 03-26-2014 at 3:25 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 9:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
First of all, how about them Salsa by Zatoh? I told you they are the best. Zatoh such a good sport he was just there to cook and hang out he didnt even shoot and paid the entrance fee. Huge thanks to Zatoh. He got us the Calguns World famous Salsa and grill vegetables.....
You're welcome Lex! Glad people enjoyed it.

Sorry for being late. My wife had an event planned for the same day so the logistics were a bit hectic with the kids and all. All in all the drive up was nice. I haven't been out of the "city" in ages.

I knew I forgot to bring something...just couldn't remember what it was at the time. I'll be sure to bring something to shoot next time.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Cute, but there is a specific location for that spot. It is well known, and easy to access, but is far enough out in BFE that is isn't normally real busy, and stays pretty clean (and bloody well better stay that way if you go down there).

REMOVE

North of the tracks is camping and riding (most of the riders wimp out when temps go above 95), and South (towards the mountain) is one giant shooting range.

ETA: And BTW, this is just one idea. I'm sure there are better more central places more in the San Bernardino direction, I just don't know them well.
Remove the link! I know this isn't a secret spot but over the last 6 months I've noticed a large crowd of hooligans showing up, drinking beer, being reckless, blowing stuff up and leaving the trash for others. There is a range clean up that's been in the works for a while at this very exact spot if anyone is interested in finding out more about location.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=733828

However, I second a overnight Survivalist meet here and would love to attend the next one!
Old 03-26-2014, 1:27 PM

I off road in that area already ha! Next time I'm in ocotillo I'll have to check it out.
Old 03-26-2014, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK5.56 View Post
Remove the link! I know this isn't a secret spot but over the last 6 months I've noticed a large crowd of hooligans showing up, drinking beer, being reckless, blowing stuff up and leaving the trash for others. There is a range clean up that's been in the works for a while at this very exact spot if anyone is interested in finding out more about location.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=733828

However, I second a overnight Survivalist meet here and would love to attend the next one!
Done didn't know it was getting trashed. Been over a year since I've been down that way. If it is just a bunch of drunk POS's, maybe just get painball guns and camo and lite them up send em home purple, and disappear. Rinse repeat until word gets out. (I know, I know, not happening, and when the "shut it down" they'll just ban shooting, and the same low lifes will still dump crap, it just won't have holes in it).
Old 03-26-2014, 8:05 PM
CGSSA Specialist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
A Big Thanks to our sponsors for some of the wonderful and coveted raffle prizes: CampingSurvival.com and GotPink!!!

And to CALGUNS, the CGSSA and Lex and all of their considerate donations as well (bags, shirts, medial kits).
Thanks for taking the photo! Much appreciated.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Late to the get together - late to posting pics but I have a few...

Grub

Lex....uhh...pointing..

Old 04-12-2014, 9:08 AM

Late but good. We need to do it again.....soon...