Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-20-2019, 9:26 PM

Default Ruger PC Carbine RDS mounting options

Hello all, I have recently purchased a ruger pc carbine with the free floating handgaurd. I am still new to fire arms but have read a lot about an RDS being a great option for this gun.A lot of forum post on the net discuss which optic is the best and why, but my question is what is the best mounting option. I have seen a custom rail that removes the rear iron sight to mount the optic lower. I have also seen the midwest industries side mount that allows for certain optics to be able to cowitness. Anyone here have any positive feedback for either of those options or any other alternate options available.
Old 12-20-2019, 9:50 PM

Your carbine is already equipped with a rail. Just mount a RDS directly to it. I put a PA advanced on mine with no riser and it works fine. If it goes down and you need to use the irons just remove it, or buy a RDS with a QR mount if being able to quickly switch to the irons is a concern.

Very fun gun. You will enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2019, 10:02 PM

Posted this in the other thread, but I am happy enough with my setup. Actually allows for lower 1/3 cowitnessing. It's on the Midwest rail so not 100% sure if M-Lok slots are at the exact same height as the Midwest rail's, but assuming they are in the same general position, I do like this setup. Vortex Crossfire is the dot, but any "Aimpoint Micro mounting style" dot will work, although I heard the Sig Romeo does not line up perfectly, and is an exception. Bushnell TRS-25 is popular but will not work with the Midwest side rail. Aimpoint Micro obviously will work. Vortex SPARC II shares the mount style but has bulky buttons on the left side that will not clear.

As this is an internet forum, you're gonna get 20 different answers and unfortunately probably 3 people who will aggressively insult you if your don't emulate their preferences exactly. I'd say just know generally what you want first, do a lot of reading up, and formulate your own opinion. Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
I know....how about everyone just stop POINTING OUT ridiculous laws. I did a thread once about people showing pictures of their silencer, and those DOUCHEBAGS who immediately ask in the thread, ďDo you have a TAX STAMP for that BRO!Ē (You all know who you are that do this!) Donít be that DOUCHEBAG!
Fragile emotions do not justify the suppression of 1A/speech on the 2A, and labeling everyone that says something that you dislike as a douchebag/snowflake is just classic liberal/anti playbook.

Last edited by LateBraking; 12-20-2019 at 10:09 PM..
Old 12-20-2019, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the response scotty, very quick!

LateBraking, I seen your pics and response in another recent post. I actually posted this after reading it. Is there an extreme benefit of using a cowitness set up versus just mounting the optic on the rear. I do not just shoot at the range, i do go out to the desert to shoot further distances and would like to try this out to 100 yards plus if possible. Also what do you mean by 1/3 cowitness?
Old 12-20-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradikate View Post
Thanks for the response scotty, very quick!

LateBraking, I seen your pics and response in another recent post. I actually posted this after reading it. Is there an extreme benefit of using a cowitness set up versus just mounting the optic on the rear. I do not just shoot at the range, i do go out to the desert to shoot further distances and would like to try this out to 100 yards plus if possible. Also what do you mean by 1/3 cowitness?
1/3 cowitness means that when you line up everything (optic and iron sights) the iron sights are still visible in the lower 1/3rd of your optic's sight picture. (Absolute cowitness meaning they are lined up right in the middle, but that's not possible on this gun and its iron sights.)

There's technical differences if you were bored and wanted to Google/read up but in the real world for this application I would say there's not much of a difference. I like my setups to cowitness, and on setups with folding irons I prefer absolute since I can get the irons out of the way, and with fixed irons I prefer 1/3rd since it doesn't eat up the whole optic's sight picture. That and I just find its current positioning comfortable. The budget-minded route is to just slap a Bushnell TRS-25 ($55 on Amazon) on the rail and call it a day, and there's nothing wrong with that. I run a TRS-25 on my AK, can't run Aimpoints Eotechs and Vortexes on everything.

Quote:
I know....how about everyone just stop POINTING OUT ridiculous laws. I did a thread once about people showing pictures of their silencer, and those DOUCHEBAGS who immediately ask in the thread, ďDo you have a TAX STAMP for that BRO!Ē (You all know who you are that do this!) Donít be that DOUCHEBAG!
Fragile emotions do not justify the suppression of 1A/speech on the 2A, and labeling everyone that says something that you dislike as a douchebag/snowflake is just classic liberal/anti playbook.

Last edited by LateBraking; 12-20-2019 at 10:53 PM..
Old 12-20-2019, 10:47 PM

Thanks. I believe i understand that. I seen a picture on the net showing a red dot with the sights in lower section of the optic. I was all for the trs-25 at first but have since changed my mind after having read up on cowitnessing with RDS. Im just trying to get all the information I can since this is all pretty new to me. Thanks for taking the time to explain that.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:04 PM
Calguns Addict

The reason so many people are looking for low RDS mounts and sometimes replace the rear sight, is the Ruger comb height is too low. If you mount something on the receiver rail you have to nearly put your chin on top of the stock to see through the optic.

Of course, you lose the rear sight if you replace it with the optic mount.
Old 12-21-2019, 1:04 AM

Works just fine mounted directly to the existing Rail and the Cheek Weld is perfect.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464963.jpg (46.6 KB, 452 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 12-21-2019, 3:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Works just fine mounted directly to the existing Rail and the Cheek Weld is perfect.

Randy
I have this set up. Works well but I need a little of a rise. Thinking about one of these.

https://www.mcarbo.com/store/Product...uctID=211&pi=3

and/or

Gear Aid Camo Form Self-Cling and Reusable Camouflage Wrap, Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Blades, 2" x 144" Roll https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XYWO5W..._vhG.Db5G46QBC

Iíve used the self cling wrap and some padding on my ar15 with scope - works well.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
If you mount something on the receiver rail you have to nearly put your chin on top of the stock to see through the optic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
I have this set up. Works well but I need a little of a rise.
Re: the TRS-25 rail-mounted - One says you get a chin weld, one says it's a perfect cheek weld, one says you need a slight riser to get a proper cheek weld.

Same optic, 3 different opinions. Not meant as a bash on any of these fine gentlemen, it can come down to style/posture/body build/proportions, even, since everyone is different too. But it does go back a little to what I said before.

Quote:

Last edited by LateBraking; 12-21-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Old 12-21-2019, 2:36 PM

The TRS-25 is low enough that you can still use the irons. It's not lower 1/3 it's probably closer to lower 1/4. I'm happy with mine
Old 12-21-2019, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
I have this set up. Works well but I need a little of a rise. Thinking about one of these.

https://www.mcarbo.com/store/Product...uctID=211&pi=3

and/or

Gear Aid Camo Form Self-Cling and Reusable Camouflage Wrap, Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Blades, 2" x 144" Roll https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XYWO5W..._vhG.Db5G46QBC

Iíve used the self cling wrap and some padding on my ar15 with scope - works well.
I have the exact foam riser from MCarbo. Makes a Big difference. Totally worth the $12.
Old 12-21-2019, 5:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjunkie View Post
I have the exact foam riser from MCarbo. Makes a Big difference. Totally worth the $12.
Thanks for the feedback. Saw some negative reviews about it not sticking but sounds like they fixed that problem. Self cling wrap would hold it in place.
Old 12-22-2019, 2:52 PM

That stick on material is available from Brownell's in various thicknesses.

I have a piece in my car where my knee bumps the console.

Also if the gun is mounted properly your cheek weld should be there. These guns are designed for the average size person, as are most generic guns. Unless you are a really big guy it should work with just a little adjustment to your technique.

Toe of stock in shoulder pocket. Your shoulder pocket to your cheek bone is what defines your cheek weld. This is between 6 and 8" on just about everyone. The PCC is 7" from the toe of the stock to the centerline of a rail mounted TRS 25

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-22-2019 at 3:24 PM..
Old 12-22-2019, 3:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Primary arms micro didn’t co witness but it worked just fine. It’s a 9mm rifle so importance of co witness is kind of silly to me. Even if you’re using it for home defense and the red dot stopped working you’re not making 100 yard shots in your house.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:56 PM

It looks like Ruger has several "no sight" options out. Looks like they have a rail replacement for the rear sight. I wonder if they will sell just the rail.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

Old 01-16-2020, 11:03 PM

On Target has a PC9 with a RDS on it and it's fun as hell to shoot. Too bad the adjustable stock/pistol grip version isn't available in CA.
Old 01-26-2020, 2:46 PM

Iím a HUGE fan of red dot sights. But on my Ruger, I actually removed the red dot, on this particular carbine I prefer the iron sights it has.
Old 01-26-2020, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradikate View Post
Hello all, I have recently purchased a ruger pc carbine with the free floating handgaurd. I am still new to fire arms but have read a lot about an RDS being a great option for this gun.A lot of forum post on the net discuss which optic is the best and why, but my question is what is the best mounting option. I have seen a custom rail that removes the rear iron sight to mount the optic lower. I have also seen the midwest industries side mount that allows for certain optics to be able to cowitness. Anyone here have any positive feedback for either of those options or any other alternate options available.
I have one of the bkmiller556 (Brian Miller) mounts. You could probably try any plain rail segment with the holes in the right places... maybe a Taccom rail section. Basically anything just like the Ruger rail section... like taking a bkmiller mount and sawing off the sight relocation extension.

Actually he might make those... ask him if you can't get a correct length one from Taccom.

https://taccom3g.com/product/ruger-p...c-sight-mount/

If you are not going to get a co-witness though, I'd just slap any RDS onto the receiver rail. That works.

Last edited by crufflers; 01-26-2020 at 3:27 PM..
Old 01-26-2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I have one of the bkmiller556 (Brian Miller) mounts. You could probably try any plain rail segment with the holes in the right places... maybe a Taccom rail section. Basically anything just like the Ruger rail section... like taking a bkmiller mount and sawing off the sight relocation extension.

Actually he might make those... ask him if you can't get a correct length one from Taccom.

If you are not going to get a co-witness though, I'd just slap any RDS onto the receiver rail. That works.
I'm glad I saw this post, the bkmiller556 mount looks awesome. Maybe I'll combine that with a Magpul backpacker.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2020, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
I'm glad I saw this post, the bkmiller556 mount looks awesome. Maybe I'll combine that with a Magpul backpacker.
I posted a few pics but edited the post because it didn't apply to OP, but the Brian Miller mount works great with tube style RDS... I use a Vortex.

Old 01-26-2020, 5:05 PM

I considered mounting a micro red dot over the receiver and losing the use of the irons, but couldnít get myself to do it. Ordered and put the MWI co witness mount and dig it. In practice I have broken the PC9 and assembled multiple times and havenít lost zero or itís shift is negligible. I have a little Holosun 503 on it.
Old 01-26-2020, 6:41 PM

I know this will sound weird but hear me out. When I purchased my PCC, stock set up. I got a Sig Romeo5 for it and it came with a riser which I was not sure what I'd do with it. I attached it with no riser and did not like the co witness so I decided to try the open riser. And I loved it. The opening in the riser utilizes the irons and while using the red dot is a little awkward as you basically bo longer have a cheek weld as it's more of a chin weld I do not have any issue using both sight options. RDS are a point and shoot optic so as long as you zero it to whatever you want, where the dot is, is where your bullet should land. Stop over thinking it as it's a pistol round, how far you think you are going to be shooting it, 100yds as its maximum for most shooters.
Old 01-26-2020, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Some PCC matches have targets 200 yards and farther.
Old 01-26-2020, 7:20 PM

I mounted a Sig ROMEO5 on its high mount, in the forward-most position on the receiver rail, and covered the remainder with Magpul rail cover. It works perfectly, plus I have a perfect sight picture with irons underneath. Like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
As this is an internet forum, you're gonna get 20 different answers and unfortunately probably 3 people who will aggressively insult you if your don't emulate their preferences exactly.
Can I at least passively aggressively insult him?
Old 01-26-2020, 7:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Do what you want and try what you want. I got some grief for scoping a PC Carbine. So what if it works for you.