Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-17-2017, 5:15 PM

Consitionmal carry states haven't burned to the ground yet even with people carrying that have little to no training, chances are low any one person will need to pull their weapon, and if they do chances are even lower shots will need to be fired. If that moment comes it's their right to defend themselves with whatever they can regardless of training or proficiency.

We should only strongly encourage training, not require it.
Old 11-17-2017, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Default Denied CCW after being approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
True, but there is a difference between "right" and "responsibility." I said the same thing in the past as you. Then I went to a ccw class and watched others shoot. Some were even doing re-quals. Lets just say I do not want to be anywhere near them if they ever start shooting at someone.

ACfixer stated it very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
That's a good question, one that my friends and I have discussed at some length and there's really no definitive answer that we can agree upon.

First of all, while I believe God gives and allows us to have anything including our next breath, the right to bear arms was given to us in this country by our forefathers and yes I like to feel with God's guidance, but we have that whole separation of church and state thing so I'll say for the sake of this discussion the right was given to us by some really good men in 1791.

Let me ask you this... I saw two women missing the B27 target completely at our CCW class. Completely, from 15 feet away. One of them was hitting close to zero out of ten. Dirt flying up three feet to the left and ten feet long. Classic squint and squeeze, gals afraid of their weapons. Do you want that person carrying a loaded weapon in public, and are you doing her any favors by allowing it? Because she's not going to hit a bad guy with that bullet, she couldn't hit cardboard at 15 feet without any threat at all. By the end of the class the great instructors had them on target. I felt a little better about them carrying and I'll bet they did too.

If you feel it's a good idea with to have people with no firearms knowledge or safety training to be carrying concealed weapons in public, we'll just have to disagree. I understand where you are coming from and I'd rather err on the side of freedom over regulation, but I don't mind interjecting common sense into the equation. If we are to have zero restrictions and "shall not be infringed" is taken to the end we should all be able to carry full auto weapons wherever we want. I don't read anything in the 2nd amendment that says I can't get wasted in a bar and pack an MP5 in case a guy comes at me with a pool cue.

I guess for better or worse (mostly worse) we've drawn some lines over the years and while I feel there should be little or no restrictions to carrying, I don't mind having something in place for the protection of others if that person is to carry around the public because I honestly believe in math and the laws of probability. If that person is more likely to shoot a bystander or themselves than they are someone posing danger to them, why not get them the help they need to tilt the scales in their (and our) favor?

With great freedom comes great responsibility. I can not control what any other person does and does not do. I'm not willing to give up parts of my freedom for the sake of a little more safety.

I don't have much time now, so I may come back and give more complete answers.
Old 11-17-2017, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
With great freedom comes great responsibility. I can not control what any other person does and does not do. I'm not willing to give up parts of my freedom for the sake of a little more safety.

I don't have much time now, so I may come back and give more complete answers.
So true. And I am not advocating mandatory anything. Only the hope that when those that do and can exercise their 2A, they be responsible and receive training.
Old 11-17-2017, 8:01 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Sure you are, you do it every day and I can give you a dozen examples. But... we've jacked this thread pretty good already. I think it's a great discussion and if you want to start a thread in the appropriate forum we can continue it.