Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-13-2013, 4:07 PM

Default **College Student Needs Help**

Hey Calguns LEOs

Do you guys have the ability to bring people on ride-alongs? Does your department actually let you request to bring people on the ride-alongs or are certain officers just assigned them from the waiting list?

I'm taking a class on enforcement and need to do 1 ride along but I like to do them with a couple of agencies, preferably with calgunners. Please message if your department allows you to bring in people for ride alongs.

Update 10/18/13
Hey guys, I've contacted the station supervisor for Santa Ana PD to schedule my ride a long but I was informed that the wait list would be a couple of months. I need to get in one before December for class

I know it's a hassle but would any officers be willing to volunteer to take me out on a ride along? You don't have to take me the entire time and can just drop me off whenever. Please PM me if you're around Orange County and can help me out. Thanks!

Last edited by whyhatchu; 10-24-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old 09-13-2013, 6:00 PM
Banned

I've been thinking about this lately, not gonna lie I can be quick to judge and maybe a ride along would help me view it from a different perspective...that being said I'd doubt they'd let me for no other reason than I want to
Old 09-13-2013, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

I've done quite a few.

Requirements:
1) Resident of that county/city.
2) Either in the hiring process or a student.
3) Or you know a officer personally who can arrange one for you

Obviously no outstanding warrants or criminal records. You can just call the station non emergency line and ask if they do ride alongs. That simple.... They'll usually transfer you to a Sgt. or a coordinator who will help you out.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 09-13-2013 at 6:07 PM..
Old 09-13-2013, 9:11 PM

Anyone that clears the background can go on a ral.
We all take 'em.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:26 PM

I would love to go on a ride along in Sacramento, one of main fears would be a high speed pursuit (i'm gun shy about car crashes right now) Or a shoot out...for obvious reasons!

My brother is in the academy for Stockton PD so It would be cool to go on a ride along with him when he hits the streets!
Old 09-13-2013, 9:31 PM

My dept requires the person to either be in the application process or immediate family. Each dept is different though. If you call and ask your local dept they will tell you. Generally it requires a short background check and that's it.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason McDuffie View Post
My dept requires the person to either be in the application process or immediate family. Each dept is different though. If you call and ask your local dept they will tell you. Generally it requires a short background check and that's it.
That sounds promising for me! I can't wait to go on a ride along, I have no idea what to expect. I would be cool to see some action as long as it doesn't get too wild. I don't want to be like McLovin stuck in the back of a cop car.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762ch View Post
I would love to go on a ride along in Sacramento, one of main fears would be a high speed pursuit (i'm gun shy about car crashes right now) Or a shoot out...for obvious reasons!

My brother is in the academy for Stockton PD so It would be cool to go on a ride along with him when he hits the streets!
Doesn't need to be a pursuit to stack one up. I just got t-boned two weeks ago. Landed in a planter. Bummed me out because it was an '06 car. They were faster than the newer ones.

I wouldn't worry about shootings. There is a phenomenon when someone has a ral....guaranteed to be a booring shift.
Old 09-13-2013, 9:43 PM

I love having candidates ride along. Letting people see that a police officer's job is not solely enforcing the law. We are asked to do many things that the academy and television just don't prepare you for. I highly encourage you to hop in the passenger seat. I'm sure the officer wouldn't mind the company anyways haha.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:57 PM

We are generally assigned RAL's and usually get one or 2 every week or 2. I can bring any friend or family. Its a easy process. I don't mind having them but we frequently get old lady's. I don't want to hear about your grandson for 4 hours. What does a man in his late 20's have in common with a 75 year old woman? Other than that its not bad but if you ride for a 12 hour shift my vocal cords get tired having a conversation with you for 12 hours.
Old 09-15-2013, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhatchu View Post
Hey Calguns LEOs

Do you guys have the ability to bring people on ride-alongs? Does your department actually let you request to bring people on the ride-alongs or are certain officers just assigned them from the waiting list?

I'm taking a class on enforcement and need to do 1 ride along but I like to do them with a couple of agencies, preferably with calgunners. Please message if your department allows you to bring in people for ride alongs.
We can take friends and family after a background check in my department. For random citizens, if no one volunteers to take them, someone will get voluntold.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

So wait it is possible to go on ride alongs just because you want to? I'm gonna have to call and ask about it
Old 09-15-2013, 7:03 PM

Is there a certain office for each agency that handles RAL's? My local area is RCSO, I think the Perris station is closest.
Old 09-15-2013, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro6golf View Post
We are generally assigned RAL's and usually get one or 2 every week or 2. I can bring any friend or family. Its a easy process. I don't mind having them but we frequently get old lady's. I don't want to hear about your grandson for 4 hours. What does a man in his late 20's have in common with a 75 year old woman? Other than that its not bad but if you ride for a 12 hour shift my vocal cords get tired having a conversation with you for 12 hours.
To add to this post....

I'll be honest and blunt and I said this a few years ago..... Ride a longs SUCK!!! Neither me, nor 99% of my coworkers like a ride-a-long. Just know that going into a ride. Nobody likes to have a complete stranger sitting next to you, watching you at work for 8-12 hrs per day. Would YOU like like a stranger sitting next to your desk, watching you work a few times per month? He'll no you wouldn't!

So, knowing that ride-a-longs are here to stay, if you go on one, here's a few pointers: Go have fun, but STFU! Don't tell the cop what to do, or what your opinion is. Don't try to be his/her friend. Just, watch and observe and keep "reasonable" questions to a minimum. Nobody likes somebody with a mouth that continues to talk and talk and talk. Dont try to point out traffic violators!!!! I once had a rider that did that with me, i took him back to the station and said the ride was over! Also, don't try to be a bad-@$$, Just be humble.

Last, don't be a career ride-alonger! There are some people that insist on riding time and time again. Believe me, those are HATED at stations.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-15-2013, 8:45 PM

Ride alongs at my dept seem pretty rare. The RAL request form has a line for a Deputy Chief to sign before being granted.
Old 09-16-2013, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
To add to this post....

I'll be honest and blunt and I said this a few years ago..... Ride a longs SUCK!!! Neither me, nor 99% of my coworkers like a ride-a-long. Just know that going into a ride. Nobody likes to have a complete stranger sitting next to you, watching you at work for 8-12 hrs per day. Would YOU like like a stranger sitting next to your desk, watching you work a few times per month? He'll no you wouldn't!

So, knowing that ride-a-longs are here to stay, if you go on one, here's a few pointers: Go have fun, but STFU! Don't tell the cop what to do, or what your opinion is. Don't try to be his/her friend. Just, watch and observe and keep "reasonable" questions to a minimum. Nobody likes somebody with a mouth that continues to talk and talk and talk. Dont try to point out traffic violators!!!! I once had a rider that did that with me, i took him back to the station and said the ride was over! Also, don't try to be a bad-@$$, Just be humble.

Last, don't be a career ride-alonger! There are some people that insist on riding time and time again. Believe me, those are HATED at stations.
I think im the only guy that doesnt mind them. Not to sound high and mighty but I feel there should be transparency in law enforcement. A lot of the general public views it as something mysterious and views cops as unapproachable or an us vs them thing. Im totally approachable and enjoy showing ral's what I do, how I handle stuff and answer any questions however stupid they are. The thing I dont like with them is when they point out traffic violations, try to use cop slang, tell me stupid stories, show up wearing 511 boots and tac pants or if I feel the RAL will nark on me if I tell a suspect to stfu or if I yell at someone. Plus its a lonely night cause none of my partners want to 98 to chat.

To the OP: if you go on one, read the do's and donts of this thread, dont dress like an ***, dont ask if the cop has ever shot anyone, and dont ride the whole shift. leave the cop a few hours to decompress and bs with his friends.
Old 09-18-2013, 6:50 AM

If you see any female cops, especially attractive ones, dear god don't say anything. We had one rider go all puppy dog, then said something to the cop he was with. Details of the exact statement excluded, but went along the lines of "wow you get to work with a fine *** like that? I couldn't, be too busy staring or thinking of f'ing her."
The cop he was riding with was her husband.
Which didn't end well for the rider. Who was applying.
Old 09-18-2013, 6:52 AM

I agree with the leave early. Ride alongs can be okay, but generally suck. If you do one, be considerate and leave early. For a 10 hour shift, leave after 6. Plus if they run 2 man cars you're screwing not only the cop you're with but his partner too.
Old 09-18-2013, 8:32 AM

I've been on a few way bacj when I was applying. Most of them were zzzzzzzz. Oh lucky when we got to respond to a trailer park in the worst part of town where an old lady hoarder had to go on for about an hour regarding her grandsons Xbox being stolen... I will never forget that smell. Either way, dress business casual, don't step on the officers toes, and forget any police lingo you may have picked up. And above all, if you're lucky enough to get outta the car, keep your mouth shut and observe.
Old 09-19-2013, 7:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsoftGunr View Post
I've been on a few way bacj when I was applying. Most of them were zzzzzzzz.
They were probably zzzzzzzzz because you might have been bla bla bla bla bla....

I've know many a cops that when they have a ride along, they shut down and don't do anything except respond to calls. Yes I'm repeating, ride alongs are hated that much by most cops. No pro activity whatsoever. Again, its that feeling of coming to work and looking at the in-service (roster), seeing that they've put a complete stranger with you at your desk (car), just to watch you all damn day. How swell is that? The feeling for most is "oh $h!+, another ride along!"

The main issue is, here's a cop that has a frick'n job to do. He/she does it day in and day out. Trying to do your job while at the same time having to "entertain" someone that wants to ride along "just because" is a drag. I understand that many applicants are required to go on rides and that's just part of the hiring process. I'm specifically focusing more on "habitual" or "chronic" ride alongs. They suck.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 09-19-2013 at 8:03 AM..
Old 09-19-2013, 8:18 AM
Banned

I have some friends who do them...in the back seat.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM

Got one scheduled for this Sunday with a family friend of mine. He told me pretty much that I will be with him pretty much his whole shift. Guess it just depends if you know the person or not. Will be my second ride a long
Old 09-20-2013, 6:54 PM

LONG AGO when I was a student I did 2 ride a longs with my neighbor. I was fortunate to do the whole shift with his blessing. It was a very interesting experience, I had some bad experiences with LEO in my past and had no respect for any LEO. My neighbor took a lot of crap from me and slowly changed my mind about LEOs and he was the reason I eventually went to the police academy. He gave me a new outlook and I always wanted to make him proud.
I'm since disabled and have done a ride a long with a friend in a school district. It was nice getting back into a patrol car for almost the entire shift (nice to have friends) and see what school cops do.

Ride a longs can be fun & informative but they can be a pain in the butt for officers who have their routines messed up or have a know it all or someone who won't shut up.

If you go on one, keep in mind the officer has an added responsibility to protect you, he doesn't have time to babysit. Please don't play the WHAT IF game and STAY in the car unless you get permission to get out. You can learn a lot about what happens in your community and you'll find out cops are regular people like you and your neighbors.

Always confirm it for yourself. Ignorance is no excuse.
Old 09-20-2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
They were probably zzzzzzzzz because you might have been bla bla bla bla bla....

I've know many a cops that when they have a ride along, they shut down and don't do anything except respond to calls. Yes I'm repeating, ride alongs are hated that much by most cops. No pro activity whatsoever. Again, its that feeling of coming to work and looking at the in-service (roster), seeing that they've put a complete stranger with you at your desk (car), just to watch you all damn day. How swell is that? The feeling for most is "oh $h!+, another ride along!"

The main issue is, here's a cop that has a frick'n job to do. He/she does it day in and day out. Trying to do your job while at the same time having to "entertain" someone that wants to ride along "just because" is a drag. I understand that many applicants are required to go on rides and that's just part of the hiring process. I'm specifically focusing more on "habitual" or "chronic" ride alongs. They suck.
Preach it brother.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 PM

I don't mind ride alongs, but at the same point I don't get excited when I hear I have one. I agree with two of the above posters. I think allowing a ride along in the car allows the public a view of what we do. With that said, I agree with another poster that when someone is riding up front I don't do anything proactive. It's dangerous enough with me out in the playing field. Worrying about whoever is staying with the car while I make contact is another. If things go sideways you gotta deal with the implications of that as well.

I had a ride along this evening. Shagged calls and answered questions. It seems like whenever I do have someone in the passenger seat.....I see all the good stops I can't make hahaha.
Old 09-21-2013, 7:59 AM

I was lucky enough to do a ride along this past July in Aurora CO on the anniversary of the theater shooting (even met one of the officers who arrested Holmes).

What made it especially nice was that the officer was my son. He said I had to do the whole shift (friday graveyard 10pm - 8 am). The rules for the ride along were sign the waiver and I can go wherever he goes (with in reason). Of course I stayed out of the way/with the car when I knew it was better.

His shift supervisor put him in the '600' car which meant we were the roving patrol with no assigned area. In the course of the shift we had a foot chase (no I didn't join in), a car chase (1/2 mile), 3 shots fired or person with a gun, Lots of DV or see the lady calls and 4 high speed runs (115 mph) through the city (2 past the midnight memorial at the theater).

Some of the calls were from someone having 'problems'. One elderly lady was in the apartment parking lot and 'confused' and feeling like she was going to hurt herself. The officers that took the call treated her with compassion and got her an ambulance and a ride to the hospital.

On a whole I saw all the officers treat the public with what I call fair but firm attitude.

It was eye-opening/interesting for me to see what he deals with on a daily basis. I was already proud of him (he joined the Marines out of High School), this just increased the proud dad factor.

Thanks to all you guys for putting up with the publics misconceptions of what you guys do.

Oh and he gave me a customized Premier knife (blade, seat belt cutter and window break point) with the Aurora Badge on the side.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:42 AM

That's really cool TT!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:54 AM

I might be in the minority but I didn't really mind ride alongs all that much (and yes, I had a couple of nightmare ones too). Most of mine were applicants, explorers, chaplains, volunteers, misc. etc and I got assigned enough of them that I typed out a page long ground rules and expectations sheet for them to read while I was loading up the car. It DID get kinda annoying though, when I'd have more days in the work week with ridealongs than without.

I went on more than half a dozen rides before I became sworn and I enjoyed and appreciated each one - I still remember each person I rode with and it's good seeing them sometimes around the county. I also worked as a civilian on the department before I became sworn. From those experiences, I told myself that should I ever make it to the show, I'd be happy to give ride alongs and do chow runs and some of the other stuff that can get really tiresome.

Because ridealongs officers are like a box of chocolates, for those researching the job and/or a particular department/agency, I usually recommend doing as many rides as possible with different personnel on different days during different shifts and also requesting, if possible, to be assigned to someone who doesn't mind having people ride along.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:07 AM

I rode with my buddy in the border patrol over night. We caught 3 "bodies". I wasn't allowed to tackle anyone technically so I just ran fast and looked big for intimidation factor. They all squatted and put their hands up immediatly. It was bassically what I expected from government workers. Several officers posted up in their trucks and went to sleep. My friend and his buddy are really the only two gunhoe guys on that shift. We met up with him and huffed it a bit(in snow falling in CA) checking a sensor that was hit an hour or so prior. No sign so we split. Then come near sun up other officers got on some sign and pushed them to us who happened to crest a hill just as they were about to cross the trail. They were deer in the headlights lol..

Last edited by kentactic; 09-21-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Old 09-21-2013, 6:58 PM

Two of my ride a longs were with San Mateo PD and I remember one stop was a DUI. I was allowed to get out of the car and watch my friend give a field sobriety test.

As I was watching another officer rolled up. My friend went to get something from the trunk and I stepped off the curb to take a peak in the trunk when the newly arrived officer firmly but politely directed me to step back on the sidewalk and move away from the patrol car. At this point I wasn't sure if he knew I was a ride a long or not but I didn't want to seem rude and say anything to come off wrong if he indeed did know. A few minutes past and my friend put the lady in the back seat to take her to the county jail. He then told me I could get back into the car.

When my friend got back in the car he told me the back up officer apologized for his comments and that he did not realize we were friends and I was doing a ride a long. I thought it was funny.

My 2nd ride a long was boring, a city that normal 20-30 calls every hour had 3 calls for the entire shift. The officers were so bored they were calling in to back up officers for simple traffic stops. They had 2-3 back up officers for a traffic stop of a broken taillight or headlight out.

I felt sorry for the people stopped for a taillight out with that many officer, it looked like they were making a felony stop. lol

Old 09-22-2013, 5:26 AM

Yea please don't call it a "simple" traffic stop or get huffed up about more than 1 unit being a "felony stop." Where I am we roll 2 man cars, and still have units rolling by on a "simple" traffic stop.

A "simple" stop for a brake light out almost killed me a couple years ago. And I know many guys who have similar "simple" stop stories.

A felony stop brings a lot of cops. A lot. Having 2 or 3 guys hang out while you get cited is just called cover.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlDuche View Post
Yea please don't call it a "simple" traffic stop or get huffed up about more than 1 unit being a "felony stop." Where I am we roll 2 man cars, and still have units rolling by on a "simple" traffic stop.

A "simple" stop for a brake light out almost killed me a couple years ago. And I know many guys who have similar "simple" stop stories.

A felony stop brings a lot of cops. A lot. Having 2 or 3 guys hang out while you get cited is just called cover.
First off let me say I know a traffic stop is only simple when completed and that in reality there is no such thing as a simple traffic stop because you don't know what you are going to encounter. Someone pulled over for a tail light could have a felony warrant for their arrest of could have just robed a place or could be the neighbor next door. You just don't know and that why its not routine till its all over. And yes many officers have been injured on those so called simple traffic stop.

I used that term only to emphasize how calm of a night it was and the officers were bored. It was a funny sight as they just wanted an excuse to shoot the BS while someone was stopped. That ride along was done 25 years ago while I was in college and getting ready to go to the police academy. My background includes law enforcement. I transported prisoners across Northern CA, Southern OR, NV and occasionally flight extraditions from WA.

I would never make light of a fellow officer and a traffic stop. I apologize for any offense you or anyone else takes from my comment. That was never my intention.

Old 09-22-2013, 7:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

the problem with ride-a-alongs are the weirdos.
Old 09-22-2013, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

I usually don't mind ride alongs, I have met some interesting people from all walks of life. I think ride alongs are a great way for people considering the job/agency to get a firsthand look as well as just give the public at large a glimpse into what LEO work actually involves.

I try to make the night interesting for a ride a long (code three runs exciting calls, etc) but I don't do much proactive work myself. I take the safety of my ride along seriously and don't want them to get hurt.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 PM

Tac380- no offense taken and I apologize if I came across poorly, not my intention either! Clearly you "get it," some don't. When the news or John Q use the terms routine or simple it just makes my skin crawl. But yea I hear ya, I've had low key stops with waaay more cops needed just to kill time.

On that note, a clearlake cop got crushed on a traffic stop today. Bad guy reversed and rammed him, all for a freakin warrant that he may have been cited out on at jail. Spine broken, major head and internal injuries. Hope he survives....
Old 09-23-2013, 8:38 AM

I hadn't heard about the Clearlake officer. I remember being drilled never walk between the cars, always walk around them and to offset the vehicle on a stop. You never know what can happen and all the precautions you take can still result in an injury. I hope the officer survives, I didn't see anything on the news so I will have to search to see if our local station has anything.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:56 AM

http://m.pressdemocrat.com/articles/...96aa6c503.html
Old 09-23-2013, 2:14 PM

thanks for sharing the article...I'm at a lose for words. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Old 09-23-2013, 2:41 PM

Just went or a ride a long yesterday with a family friend in LASD. Since I knew him he told me I don't have to call him sir and that I was his buddy so to keep him from not getting bored(still treated him with respect and kept it professional). It seems like most of the officers who don't care for ride a kings just don't want to be stuck in a car for a long time with someone they don't know or a weirdo.

As for the ride a long it was very fun and exciting. Even when we had a couple hours of doing nothing and just driving around I still was enjoying myself. We went code 3 and that was exciting. My Friend is a very proactive officer so we were constantly going after people and actively searching. Checked up on a couple drug houses and stuff like that.

From knowing cops and doing ride a longs I think it would be good to have some people who dislike cops to go on a ride a long and see that cops are just like everyone else. My friend was doin his job and pulled over numerous people but for minor stuff he would give them a warning and not ruin their day because they weaved over a line around a corner.

With him it seemed like if you were cool and treated him with respect he would treat you the same way and for the most part give you a warning.

He actually told me I would be with him the whole shift guess it just depends who you are with and how the officer and you get a long.
Old 09-23-2013, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikex View Post
It seems like most of the officers who don't care for ride a kings [longs] just don't want to be stuck in a car for a long time with someone they don't know or a weirdo.

And the Unreasonableness of that opinion/desire would be what exactly? lol

He actually told me I would be with him the whole shift guess it just depends who you are with and how the officer and you get a long.
I made it a rule to drop off strangers and weirdos earlier in the shift than normal people that I knew and liked...