Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-23-2018, 8:06 AM

Default Just started reloading, now I don't want to use my factory ammo.

Anyone else doing this?

I'm sitting on a mountain of factory new ammo that I don't want to touch, mainly because of the "no internet sales" law and past experiences from ammo droughts.

I'm all set up with components for all the calibers I regularly shoot, and just need to start production and begin cranking out what I feel like shooting. Doesn't hurt that I've been saving most of my brass for the past decade or more.

I just have no desire to break into my "back up" stash.
Old 01-23-2018, 8:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Normal. Shoot some when you run out of brass. Or if times get tough down the road, sell it on gunbroker.
Old 01-23-2018, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Normal. Shoot some when you run out of brass. Or if times get tough down the road, sell it on gunbroker.
Pretty much what I was thinking.

Always a good idea to be ready in case there's a repeat of the '13 ammo crash too.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Sounds like a good place to be.

I guess it all depends on how much factory stash you have.

Use the factory stuff for run and gun shooting, or target shooting from the standing position. Practical shooting.

Few people will appreciate the difference when shooting at 100 or more yards from the standing position.

Reloads for shooting prone at longer distances, or printing smiley faces on the paper.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

I have boat loads of both factory and reloaded. When I go to the range I will shoot factory one week and reloads the next, just to keep the flow of once fired brass coming in to load with. Hopefully, I won't have to reload expended reloaded brass before I move out of state ( ~8 years from now, unless Trump gets re-elected and the stock market keeps screaming like the last 15 months).
Old 01-23-2018, 1:37 PM

I rarely shoot factory ammo except 7.62x39. I have a few thousand factory rounds ready if I ever need it, but no doubt shoot my reloads a ton more. Something satisfying about good groups with handloads
Old 01-23-2018, 4:07 PM

Still shoot factory rifle ammo and have zero plans to reload that stuff. Found a case of Winchester .40 while cleaning the garage a few months back though. Other than that some random boxes of old 40, 45 and 9 that i never got around to shooting since i load those too. Not much factory ammo here other than the rifle stuff stacked deeeeeeep.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 01-23-2018, 4:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Someone once advised to use only factory ammo in a self defense gun.

The theory was a prosecutor could go on and on about how you made a special bullet to kill the person who deserved shooting but didn't deserve to die !
Old 01-23-2018, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post

The theory was a prosecutor could go on and on about how you made a special bullet to kill the person who deserved shooting but didn't deserve to die !
Yep, I've heard that before too, and it makes no sense to me. What makes sense to me is, I worked up the nastiest lethal load I could configure to stop the life threatening situation I was in, as quickly as possible as I wanted the attacker to be afforded no chance, however how slight, to end my life.
Old 01-23-2018, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes but for a different reason, the ammo I make is better.
Old 01-23-2018, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

ja, i was thinking the same thing too, only, my HD ammo is JHP, not that it would make a huge difference to me if i had to immediately defend myself - im just thinking his bulk ammo is probably FMJ - rotating it around might be a good idea, shoot a little of both
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
I hate you FalconLair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS
I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
They hate you FalconLair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta
HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair
Old 01-23-2018, 7:45 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

B.S.! If circumstances are such that the DA saw fit to bring charges for murder, which is incredibly rare in a true self-defense scenario, then you have much bigger problems to worry about other than what type of bullet was used.

That said, I still would never use R.I.P. ammo in a self-defense scenario.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 01-23-2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
Anyone else doing this?

I'm sitting on a mountain of factory new ammo that I don't want to touch, mainly because of the "no internet sales" law and past experiences from ammo droughts.
Turn that ammo into brass, sir.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack956 View Post
Yep, I've heard that before too, and it makes no sense to me. What makes sense to me is, I worked up the nastiest lethal load I could configure to stop the life threatening situation I was in, as quickly as possible as I wanted the attacker to be afforded no chance, however how slight, to end my life.
I think that's just old gun magazine BS. I've been reading that same baloney since the 70's. What your lawyer should respond with is that you would never resort to deadly force unless it was absolutely necessary and the concept of a less lethal bullet is absurd.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:00 AM
Calguns Addict

All those who choose to use Reloads for SD work are hereby authorized to carry same.
Old 01-24-2018, 9:54 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
Anyone else doing this?

I'm all set up with components for all the calibers I regularly shoot, and just need to start production and begin cranking out what I feel like shooting. Doesn't hurt that I've been saving most of my brass for the past decade or more.

I just have no desire to break into my "back up" stash.
I'm the same way. I have some factory stuff under the bed that's been there since 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

I've been shooting my factory ammo and still have a ton left.

It's a great source of brass
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 01-25-2018, 7:09 AM
Probationary Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Even before the restrictions this year, I found myself shooting my reloads first and keeping the factory ammo. I'll probably keep the majority of the factory ammo for now, unless I need to up my brass supply or I run low on components.

I don't know why I do it but maybe it's all the pretty factory boxes and the way they stack.