Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Safe Outlet View Post
Hey Guys,
We are California Safe Outlet and we just got on as BigHorns newest dealer. Were very excited about this new line of safes, and we wanted to kick off the line with a wholesale price sale! I'm gonna get right to it. Here are the prices we can offer on this first order and first order only! These prices are only good until our first load is shipped around the 1st week of may. Below are the prices we can offer and the shipping options for you.

7144EL $1377 Regular Price $2049
6039EL $1044 Regular Price $1499
6030EL $851 Regular Price $1199
6022EL $579 Regular Price $849
5928(19ECB) $568 Regular Price $849

These prices are pickup at our store in Murrieta, Ca. We can offer a couple of different shipping options at additional cost.
1. Regular Freight, curbside from the factory. Prices start around $100 and go up depending on area.
2. Delivery and installation service, we would bring the safe to you and install it, in-house or garage, boltdown available. Additonally we go over the locking mechanism, setup the interior and haul away all trash. Its a full service install. Price starts at $140 and go up depending on mileage and services required.
This is our absolute lowest pricing we will ever make available. We want to start of our new dealership with a good start so this is basically wholesale pricing we are offering. Let me know what questions you guys have and I hope we are able to do some business with you fellow calgun members. Thank you for your time. Please call or PM with any questions about shipping or about the safes themselves.

California Safe Outlet
951-600-9507
That looks like a great offer. Can you let us know what the folks in Northern California are looking at as far as the services you outlined? For example, what they would be for the San Francisco Bay Area.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
That looks like a great offer. Can you let us know what the folks in Northern California are looking at as far as the services you outlined? For example, what they would be for the San Francisco Bay Area.
I have already been in contact with with Curtis Boswell from the California Safe outlet. Ive explained that with the additional cost of shipping for most of us, the price would reach within $50 to $100 of What we can get them for at regular price at Costco.com. He is reworking the numbers and he will be in touch with me later today. I also live in the SF Bay area. So by the end of today we will have some solidified numbers, which should be some great deals for you guys. Curtis was very polite on the phone and I feel we can all come to a good agreement.
Old 04-17-2012, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Safe Outlet View Post
Hey Guys,
We are California Safe Outlet and we just got on as BigHorns newest dealer. Were very excited about this new line of safes, and we wanted to kick off the line with a wholesale price sale! I'm gonna get right to it. Here are the prices we can offer on this first order and first order only! These prices are only good until our first load is shipped around the 1st week of may. Below are the prices we can offer and the shipping options for you.

7144EL $1377 Regular Price $2049
6039EL $1044 Regular Price $1499
6030EL $851 Regular Price $1199
6022EL $579 Regular Price $849
5928(19ECB) $568 Regular Price $849

These prices are pickup at our store in Murrieta, Ca. We can offer a couple of different shipping options at additional cost.
1. Regular Freight, curbside from the factory. Prices start around $100 and go up depending on area.
2. Delivery and installation service, we would bring the safe to you and install it, in-house or garage, boltdown available. Additonally we go over the locking mechanism, setup the interior and haul away all trash. Its a full service install. Price starts at $140 and go up depending on mileage and services required.
This is our absolute lowest pricing we will ever make available. We want to start of our new dealership with a good start so this is basically wholesale pricing we are offering. Let me know what questions you guys have and I hope we are able to do some business with you fellow calgun members. Thank you for your time. Please call or PM with any questions about shipping or about the safes themselves.

California Safe Outlet
951-600-9507
This is great. Anyone from LA/Ventura (with a truck) interested in this?
Old 04-17-2012, 2:09 PM

UPDATE:
I spoke again with Curtis. The shipping for everyone In northern Calofornia should range from $200-220 and less if you live closer to the store. He can not go any lower on the prices, so they will stay fixed at what their at now. For us bay area guys the 6039EL should be around $1044+200(shipping)=1244+CA sales tax. So you should save almost $200 over what you can get it for on costco. We still need a number of you to get this pricing. If you are "in", call Curtis, and mention the group buy through Calguns. You will then give your info, he will give you an exact quote, and once he has enough people, he will place the group order. Hit me or him up with any questions. Glad we finally got these safes on sale!!
Old 04-17-2012, 8:39 PM

UPDATE:
It looks like we now have two competitors trying for the Calguns business. Ill let you all decide which to choose. I went on the Rhino metals website and found another retailer who is offering these safes on sale. Apparently, after I had contacted Rhino Metals and apprized them to the interest on this thread they contacted several distributers to see who could offer a sale, and at least two accepted. "California Safe outlet" and "Bull Dog Tuff Safes" out of Oregon, were both takers. Shane told me to keep an eye on their site, and sure enough, the sale was posted on there.

Here is what "Bull Dog Tuff Safes" are offering.

http://www.bulldogtuffsafes.com/Page_2.php

Bighorn Series Safes Specifications
Model Weight Rifle Dimensions Approx *Price
(lbs) Capacity (HxWxD) Cubic Feet

6030EL 700 26 59x30x24 25 $999
Free Curb Side Delivery!!!!!!!!

6039EL 830 33 59x39x24 32 $1,299

7144EL 1050 51 71x44x26 47 $1599
Free Curb Side Delivery!!!!!!!

These prices are an out the door price. Also, these prices are not contingent upon a "group buy". They are available to anyone.

I chose to go with Bull Dog, because being that I am in Northern California, the shipping and tax brought my total up to around $1740, for the 7144EL. I was able to save $140 by using Bull Dog, instead of California Safe outlet.

Now, as far as I know, I am the only one of you who wanted the 7144EL. Most/all of you were interested in the 6039EL. So you can do the math yourself. There is a $256 difference between the two companies. So if you live in southern California, it might be cheaper and wiser to buy from California Safe Outlet, especially if you can pick it up yourself! And the fact that it is more local, if you need to return it for any reason. But if you are up north like me it might be cheaper to use Bull Dog Tuff safes.

I don't have a loyalty to either company, I just did what was most financially practical for me. So I am now the proud owner of a B7144EL which will be in my garage THIS FRIDAY!! Finally!! (I am really pleased with this shipping speed!!)

I hope you all can also find a good deal, and I hope I have helped you all in some way!

I will still act as a liaison between Calguns and these safe companies if needed, and will update as necessary. And don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.
Bradley Larson

Last edited by Blarson; 05-01-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 4:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarson View Post
UPDATE:
It looks like we now have two competitors trying for the Calguns business. Ill let you all decide which to choose. I went on the Rhino metals website and found another retailer who is offering these safes on sale. Apparently, after I had contacted Rhino Metals and apprized them to the interest on this thread they contacted several distributers to see who could offer a sale, and at least two accepted. "California Safe outlet" and "Bull Dog Tuff Safes" out of Oregon, were both takers. Shane told me to keep an eye on their site, and sure enough, the sale was posted on there.

Here is what "Bull Dog Tuff Safes" are offering.

http://www.bulldogtuffsafes.com/Page_2.php

Bighorn Series Safes Specifications
Model Weight Rifle Dimensions Approx *Price
(lbs) Capacity (HxWxD) Cubic Feet

6030EL 700 26 59x30x24 25 $999

6039EL 830 33 59x39x24 32 $1,299

7144EL 1050 51 71x44x26 47 $1599
Free Curb Side Delivery!!!!!!!

These prices are an out the door price, because there is no sales tax and Danny includes shipping. Also, these prices are not contingent upon a "group buy". They are available to anyone.

I chose to go with Bull Dog, because being that I am in Northern California, the shipping and tax brought my total up to around $1740, for the 7144EL. I was able to save $140 by using Bull Dog, instead of California Safe outlet.

Now, as far as I know, I am the only one of you who wanted the 7144EL. Most/all of you were interested in the 6039EL. So you can do the math yourself. There is a $256 difference between the two companies. So if you live in southern California, it might be cheaper and wiser to buy from California Safe Outlet, especially if you can pick it up yourself! And the fact that it is more local, if you need to return it for any reason. But if you are up north like me it might be cheaper to use Bull Dog Tuff safes.

I don't have a loyalty to either company, I just did what was most financially practical for me. So I am now the proud owner of a B7144EL which will be in my garage THIS FRIDAY!! Finally!! (I am really pleased with this shipping speed!!)

I hope you all can also find a good deal, and I hope I have helped you all in some way!

I will still act as a liaison between Calguns and these safe companies if needed, and will update as necessary. And don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.
Bradley Larson
So, just to be clear, I can get a 6039EL out the door and delivered to my front door for $1,299 (no sales tax)?
Old 04-18-2012, 8:10 AM

Im interested in a 7144 from California Safe Outlet.
Old 04-18-2012, 8:47 AM

Quote:
So, just to be clear, I can get a 6039EL out the door and delivered to my front door for $1,299 (no sales tax)?
Yes (From Bull Dog Tuff). What you will see on your card is $1299 exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDux View Post
Im interested in a 7144 from California Safe Outlet.
You have been added to the list. But remember, everyone on the rolling log, needs to now call California Safe Outlet personally to begin the order process, (if you find it is cheaper/better for you to use them instead of Bull Dog Tuff Safes).

Last edited by Blarson; 04-18-2012 at 9:00 AM..
Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM

I just order a rhino XP5942 from bulldog. Costco no longer carries it and their price ended up cheaper than costco because no tax.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle View Post
I just order a rhino XP5942 from bulldog. Costco no longer carries it and their price ended up cheaper than costco because no tax.
What did that run?
Old 04-18-2012, 1:26 PM

Quote:
What did that run?
$1999 delivered
Old 04-18-2012, 1:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
$1999 delivered
nice
Old 04-18-2012, 2:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Costco had the cheapest deal I had ever seen on the 7144EL @$1500 with free shipping. Missed that sale! But Bulldog beat Costco by offering it @$1600 with no sales tax and free shipping. my total on Costco would have been more than $1600 after tax. Bulldog has a great deal going!

Last edited by Blarson; 04-18-2012 at 2:43 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 7:49 PM

Any of you guys going with the manual lock option versus the electronic keypad?
Old 04-18-2012, 8:56 PM

tAG
Old 04-19-2012, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Any of you guys going with the manual lock option versus the electronic keypad?
I'm sticking with the electronic lock, just for the ease of use and the speed of entry; and it's free. I'm also not worried about an EMP. ; )

My uncle bought a safe that came with the analog type lock and he swapped it for the digital. He is much happier with the digital. My Dad has the analog type lock on his liberty safe and loves it, but he sometimes wishes he had a digital lock for the same reasons I've mentioned.
Old 04-19-2012, 4:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can upgrade the electronic lock for even more features . . . for example, multiple user combinations.
Old 04-19-2012, 6:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Buy a made in USA as possible the quality is much higher. The safe is a long term investment so to say.
Old 04-19-2012, 7:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is anyone planning on mounting their safe on a slab floor? Is so, what are you planning to do about a vapor barrier?
Old 04-19-2012, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Buy a made in USA as possible the quality is much higher. The safe is a long term investment so to say.
That's why I went with the Rhino versus the Bighorn. The electronics are also upgraded and made in the USA...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

I have a manual lock on mine and consistently can open it in under 10 seconds - usually well under with perhaps one in ten being an "oops, try again". Muscle memory kicks in quite nicely. I'm sure that a digital keypad would be under 5 seconds, but the delta isn't big enough for me.

I also have a handgun safe that is digital which is my "oh crap, someone's in the house" device.

I figure that I could try the handgun safe, find out it doesn't work, get to the larger safe, and be inside consistently under 30 seconds even when groggy.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
That's why I went with the Rhino versus the Bighorn. The electronics are also upgraded and made in the USA...
You get your safe yet? Please post some pic if you can. Looking into getting one in a few months.
Old 04-21-2012, 6:29 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Is anyone planning on mounting their safe on a slab floor? Is so, what are you planning to do about a vapor barrier?
Unless you blow through the slab and hit the sub base I don't know what a vapor barrier would help. Maybe I'm missing/not thinking of something.

I bought a Cannon EF6040 (model was something like that) about 2 years ago and like it. I bolted it to my slab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 04-21-2012, 7:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Unless you blow through the slab and hit the sub base I don't know what a vapor barrier would help. Maybe I'm missing/not thinking of something.

I bought a Cannon EF6040 (model was something like that) about 2 years ago and like it. I bolted it to my slab.
Unless the concrete slab is sealed, most will allow moisture to accumulate under your safe if you bolt it directly to the concrete floor. This is a common issue with laminate flooring.

Here is a video discussing the matter:

Old 04-21-2012, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post

Put a 1/4" thick aluminum or steel flat bar about 3" wide on each side of your anchors, it will allow air to pass through without collecting moisture and therefor avoiding rusting of the bottom of safe. also blow it out underneath every 6 months to stop the accumulation of dirt, dust, spider webs.
Old 04-25-2012, 7:53 PM

My 7144EL is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, between 11-5. This was about a week longer than originally expected. However, the extra time was no fault of Danny's (bull dog tuff safes). Rhino metals was the cause of the additional time. But, it is still less than 2 weeks so I am thrilled. In fact the safe did not ship out from rhino until Monday, so it was only 3-4 days shipping! I'll try to post some Pics once it's in my garage.
Old 04-26-2012, 4:39 AM

I've been looking at the Cannon CA33 safe for a while... I plan on picking up a safe in the next couple months. I've had that Cannon pegged as a sure purchase but this thread has me thinking... I can have the Cannon CA33 Delivered and Installed (bolted down) for $1324 out the door....

2 questions...

1. Does the Big Horn safes have an internal power outlet like the Cannon's?

2. I know the Cannon has a special fire rating that's "independently tested" by "UL Labs" or something like that... anybody know if the fire rating on these Big Horns has the same UL Labs Rating? Apparently there is a difference and this counts for something... You can actually see the UL Labs ratings sticker on the side of the open door in the above photo.

Last edited by Soul TKR; 04-26-2012 at 4:42 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 4:51 AM

Also came across this thread about these bighorns... good read with pictures if you guys are interested...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=46&t=294749
Old 04-26-2012, 7:59 AM
In Memoriam

Do any of these vendors have non-electronic safe locks? These are some beautiful safes, but I don't want to rely on batteries when I need my guns.
Old 04-26-2012, 8:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Most offer manual locks. The Big Horn safes can be ordered either way.
Old 04-26-2012, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul TKR View Post
I've been looking at the Cannon CA33 safe for a while... I plan on picking up a safe in the next couple months. I've had that Cannon pegged as a sure purchase but this thread has me thinking... I can have the Cannon CA33 Delivered and Installed (bolted down) for $1324 out the door....

2 questions...

1. Does the Big Horn safes have an internal power outlet like the Cannon's?

2. I know the Cannon has a special fire rating that's "independently tested" by "UL Labs" or something like that... anybody know if the fire rating on these Big Horns has the same UL Labs Rating? Apparently there is a difference and this counts for something... You can actually see the UL Labs ratings sticker on the side of the open door in the above photo.
1) No. But the Bighorn does have a pre-drilled hole for wiring, if you ever find that you need it.
2) Here is good info copied directly from the Rhino Metals website.
[/QUOTE]
" How do I compare fire ratings/What fire rating should I get?

Fire tests and fire ratings vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and there is no standard or required test in the industry. This makes it impossible for the consumer to use manufacturers' fire ratings to compare safes. Comparing fire ratings is like comparing apples to oranges. The prudent customer will verify any fire protection ratings by comparing design.

Here are some factors to consider when comparing:

While plate doors tend to be slightly more secure, they inherently provide less fire protection and transfer heat faster to the safe's interior. Generally, 40 to 50 minutes is the maximum you can expect out of a plate door design.

Make sure there is an intumescent door seal around the entire perimeter of the door. See "Why is an intumescent door seal and why is it important?".

Internal hinged safes are generally inadequately protected against fire around the hinge area.

This is a picture of a very well known gun safe manufacturer's internal hinge where the internal hinge attatches to the inside body of the safe. Notice the large area of exposed metal. In a house fire, this exposed metal area will be glowing orange, radiating heat directly into the gun safe's interior. The manufacturer claims a "certified 30 minute/1200 degree fire rating". Furthermore, internal hinged gun safes frequently have significant gaps in their fire/smoke door seal, where the hinge attatches to the door. For this reason, it is unrealistic to expect more than 20 to 30 minutes of fire protection from any internally hinged gun safe, unless the manufacturer has taken extra steps to remove these deficiencies.

How are safes fire tested?

Some gun safe companies choose to send their safes to an independent "lab" to be fire tested, but don't be fooled; in many cases, the labs allow the manufacturer to define many or all of the test parameters. For instance, if the manufacturer chooses, they can specify to have their gun safe fire tested laying down on its back in the oven. This will lead to a very misleading test. The coolest place in a safe during a fire will always be at the bottom, as heat rises. Similarly, the coolest place in a gas fired test oven will be the bottom. If the safe is tested laying down, the entire temperature reading inside the safe shows a uniform, lower than usual temperature. Additionally, the weight of the door will unrealistically help seal the door. The lab will then give the manufacturer a fire rating of, for example, 1200 degree/60 minute fire rating, when in a real-life situation, the gun safe would fail in a fraction of the time. A safe standing upright in your home, will experience much more heat than this test safe.

A manufacturer can also specify a longer ramp-up time (time it takes for the testing oven to reach the desired temperature used in their fire rating). The longer the ramp-up time, the shorter duration at peak temperature. For example, if the safe's desired fire rating is 1200 degrees/30 minutes, with ramp up during the first 20 minutes, then the safe was only exposed to 1200 degrees for the last 10 minutes of the test. However, a long ramp up time is not necessarily bad as long as the test duration is appropriately longer as well. Look for tests that are 30 minutes or longer with at least 20 of those minutes above 1000 degrees. An hour long test should have a ramp up of no more than 20 minutes. There are a number of other factors that can skew test results, like thermocouple (temperature sensor) quantity and location, burner placement, safe placement in relationship to burners and oven walls, and of course, failure criteria. As a consumer, it is impossible for you to verify exctly how the test was done. You can ask all the right questions, but you are still assuming that the person you are talking to knows exactly how the test was performed and is telling you the truth. For this reason, the only way to accurately compare fireprotection is to compare how the safe is constructed and fire-protected. It is the only way you can verify you are getting your money's worth."
[/QUOTE]

Seems to be mostly unbiased info. I was surprised to find that there is no industry standard. Which just means you need to really do your research and not rely totally on the manufacturers stated rating.

But when you compare the Cannon CA33 with the Bighorn 6039EL you will find some very stark differences.

CA33 / 6039EL
730 pounds / 830 pounds
1" locking bolts / 1.5" locking bolts
12 gauge steel / 10 gauge steel
1200/60 minutes / 1200/70 minutes
(unlisted??scary??)/ 10 locking bolts
$1324 OTD (Per you) / $1299 OTD(From Bull Dog Tuff Safes)

Since there is only a one inch difference in size between the two safes, it seems like you will get a much better deal for the Bighorn as it is less expensive, and outperforms the Cannon in every regard, with only the exception of no power outlet.

The choice is yours. Hope this helped.

Last edited by Blarson; 04-26-2012 at 10:03 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The power/networking outlet is a sweet addition.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The power/networking outlet is a sweet addition.
I totally agree. However, with less than $10 worth of supplies, you can install an internal power outlet in any safe fairly easily. You can also use a cheap extension cord, remove one end and wire an outlet inside the safe that way, so you don't have to cut unto any walls. So with about 20-30 minutes of work, you'll have the added feature with the peace of mind of extra security.

[IMG][/IMG]

If I decide to do this, I will post a How Too, but these were just extra supplies I had laying around my garage from other projects. I kind of doubt I will ever need an outlet/power in my safe. Silica gel/battery powered LED lights and I am good to go! No power needed. Some may need it though??
Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Please post up a how to, I would love to have safe (both defenitions) power. It can't hurt.
Old 04-26-2012, 4:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The nice thing about the networking stuff is that you have have a hard drive in your safe that you can backup your data to. Then if there is a fire situation, you still have your data.
Old 04-26-2012, 6:12 PM

if one orders one of these safes through costco.com can they be picked up in store? The reason I ask is I dont have a membership, mine expired years ago and I want to bring the safe in discreetly, I would hate to have the costco truck pull up and draw the wrong attention and have some potential thieves see them unloading a safe onto my driveway. We have break-ins around here so I'm thinking this through.
Old 04-26-2012, 6:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ordered my Bighorn 8039 from California Safe Outlet. Now I just have to wait for me new toy.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarson View Post
1) No. But the Bighorn does have a pre-drilled hole for wiring, if you ever find that you need it.
2) Here is good info copied directly from the Rhino Metals website.

" How do I compare fire ratings/What fire rating should I get?

Fire tests and fire ratings vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and there is no standard or required test in the industry. This makes it impossible for the consumer to use manufacturers' fire ratings to compare safes. Comparing fire ratings is like comparing apples to oranges. The prudent customer will verify any fire protection ratings by comparing design.

Here are some factors to consider when comparing:

While plate doors tend to be slightly more secure, they inherently provide less fire protection and transfer heat faster to the safe's interior. Generally, 40 to 50 minutes is the maximum you can expect out of a plate door design.

Make sure there is an intumescent door seal around the entire perimeter of the door. See "Why is an intumescent door seal and why is it important?".

Internal hinged safes are generally inadequately protected against fire around the hinge area.

This is a picture of a very well known gun safe manufacturer's internal hinge where the internal hinge attatches to the inside body of the safe. Notice the large area of exposed metal. In a house fire, this exposed metal area will be glowing orange, radiating heat directly into the gun safe's interior. The manufacturer claims a "certified 30 minute/1200 degree fire rating". Furthermore, internal hinged gun safes frequently have significant gaps in their fire/smoke door seal, where the hinge attatches to the door. For this reason, it is unrealistic to expect more than 20 to 30 minutes of fire protection from any internally hinged gun safe, unless the manufacturer has taken extra steps to remove these deficiencies.

How are safes fire tested?

Some gun safe companies choose to send their safes to an independent "lab" to be fire tested, but don't be fooled; in many cases, the labs allow the manufacturer to define many or all of the test parameters. For instance, if the manufacturer chooses, they can specify to have their gun safe fire tested laying down on its back in the oven. This will lead to a very misleading test. The coolest place in a safe during a fire will always be at the bottom, as heat rises. Similarly, the coolest place in a gas fired test oven will be the bottom. If the safe is tested laying down, the entire temperature reading inside the safe shows a uniform, lower than usual temperature. Additionally, the weight of the door will unrealistically help seal the door. The lab will then give the manufacturer a fire rating of, for example, 1200 degree/60 minute fire rating, when in a real-life situation, the gun safe would fail in a fraction of the time. A safe standing upright in your home, will experience much more heat than this test safe.

A manufacturer can also specify a longer ramp-up time (time it takes for the testing oven to reach the desired temperature used in their fire rating). The longer the ramp-up time, the shorter duration at peak temperature. For example, if the safe's desired fire rating is 1200 degrees/30 minutes, with ramp up during the first 20 minutes, then the safe was only exposed to 1200 degrees for the last 10 minutes of the test. However, a long ramp up time is not necessarily bad as long as the test duration is appropriately longer as well. Look for tests that are 30 minutes or longer with at least 20 of those minutes above 1000 degrees. An hour long test should have a ramp up of no more than 20 minutes. There are a number of other factors that can skew test results, like thermocouple (temperature sensor) quantity and location, burner placement, safe placement in relationship to burners and oven walls, and of course, failure criteria. As a consumer, it is impossible for you to verify exctly how the test was done. You can ask all the right questions, but you are still assuming that the person you are talking to knows exactly how the test was performed and is telling you the truth. For this reason, the only way to accurately compare fireprotection is to compare how the safe is constructed and fire-protected. It is the only way you can verify you are getting your money's worth."

Seems to be mostly unbiased info. I was surprised to find that there is no industry standard. Which just means you need to really do your research and not rely totally on the manufacturers stated rating.

But when you compare the Cannon CA33 with the Bighorn 6039EL you will find some very stark differences.

CA33 / 6039EL
730 pounds / 830 pounds
1" locking bolts / 1.5" locking bolts
12 gauge steel / 10 gauge steel
1200/60 minutes / 1200/70 minutes
(unlisted??scary??)/ 10 locking bolts
$1324 OTD (Per you) / $1299 OTD(From Bull Dog Tuff Safes)

Since there is only a one inch difference in size between the two safes, it seems like you will get a much better deal for the Bighorn as it is less expensive, and outperforms the Cannon in every regard, with only the exception of no power outlet.

The choice is yours. Hope this helped.
Except for that price comparison isn't quite right if I read everything correctly... the price I listed INCLUDED bringing the safe in the house and bolting it down... The Big Horn doesn't include that correct?
Old 04-27-2012, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul TKR View Post
Except for that price comparison isn't quite right if I read everything correctly... the price I listed INCLUDED bringing the safe in the house and bolting it down... The Big Horn doesn't include that correct?
That is right. The price only includes tax and delivery. The delivery driver will however bring the safe from the truck and put it into your garage if there is access. They will not bring it indoors(ie. in house, stairs etc). (The driver is only required to deliver curbside, but all will offer the garage placement)

Last edited by Blarson; 04-27-2012 at 1:43 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith556 View Post
if one orders one of these safes through costco.com can they be picked up in store? The reason I ask is I dont have a membership, mine expired years ago and I want to bring the safe in discreetly, I would hate to have the costco truck pull up and draw the wrong attention and have some potential thieves see them unloading a safe onto my driveway. We have break-ins around here so I'm thinking this through.
I don't know if they have an in store delivery option(I'm leaning strongly towards they don't, but you would have to call). The safe does come in a huge cardboard box which makes it a little less showy to potential dirtbags. There are inherent problems associated with a pick up anyways, unless you own a big lift-gate truck. The delivery process should only take about 20 minutes or less(with the safe visible for less time than that), which should also partially mitigate the potential of kooky loos. And mine was shipped through saia which made it less clear what I was purchasing. Being that the Bighorn safes sold at Costco.com, and the safes sold at bull dog tuff safes both ship directly from Rhino metals, I would bet money people who buy on Costco will also see their safes shipped through Saia or Reddaway. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Blarson; 04-27-2012 at 2:40 PM..