Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-07-2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betfair39 View Post
Original Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate

Can someone please explain it to me how the f... i can own more than 10 firearms but not allowed to CCW in LA County? I'm a resident ( need 1 more year for naturalization) and that's not enough for CCW ?? What is the logic behind this?
I am in a similar situation and both LAPD and LASD said you do not need to be a naturalized citizen. LAPD just asked me to bring the documentation that I am a legal resident to the interview. Waiting for that interview now, so can only let you know once it happens.
Old 04-07-2021, 6:49 PM

Just sent my application into LASD. I have light green to yellow GC so I'll let everyone here know how it goes!
Old 04-07-2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhTran1 View Post
Update... so anyone else just submit the application and still waiting to be calls ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mailed mine on 3/31 3/24 and tracking said it was delivered 3/31 3/24. Checked hasn't been cashed yet. No call yet.

Last edited by weezy675; 04-08-2021 at 8:07 AM..
Old 04-07-2021, 7:28 PM
Banned

Hey guys, I’ve been getting hammered with PMs. Plus real life is busy. I’m still behind on replying to PMs and will try to catch up on this thread in next few days.

Hopefully we’ll know by June 1st if AV is really issuing for Light Green. If not, the budget cuts kick in on July 1st and he said he may liberalize further then.

Remember AV is not an anti. He had his people call Yellows who were denied and told they liberalized more and could get issued if they want to reactivate their applications. That was above and beyond IMO. He might do it again.
Old 04-07-2021, 7:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreegs View Post
Does anyone know if the recent wave of violence against Asians would be a good reason in addition to going on long hikes far from emergency services? I have not been a victim personally only "almost" situations, none that ever occurred writing a police report.
Check the posts over the past month or so. I think AV addressed that during a virtual town hall and said no. IMO could use it in addition to Light Green GC, but not if that’s all you’ve got.

Look at what passes for Dark Green too. Someone said someone else got issued for Dark Green (female in fear riding public transit IIRC.) Maybe add “Asian and afraid” to some Dark Green GC? Or just wait until July?

Outta here for tonight....
Old 04-07-2021, 8:13 PM

Hi Guys , just wanted to give you my timeline experience

2/24 mailed application & check.
3/10 deputy called for phone interview. Invited me down for in personal interview
3/16 had in person interview & live scan done.
4/6 emailed @ 9am to do training
4/6 12pm did training at firing line in Burbank.
Old 04-07-2021, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc625 View Post
I just finished the DOJ CCW application and wrote a check for $30.
So I am about to mail this application to Hall of Justice tomorrow morning.
Do I need to fill out the live scan application and mail it with the DOJ application? Do I also need to photocopy my driver's license and other documents with the application?

Thank you for reply.
Send just the application. If your good cause is accepted you'll be contacted by a deputy to setup an interview and you'll be given instructions on any additional documentation you'll need to bring. After the interview, if all goes well, you'll get a livescan form specifically for CCW permit application to be used at the for your background check.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 04-07-2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze View Post
Actually I spend way TOO much time reading here and the search functions leave a lot to be desired. I had already investigated this on the LASD side:

https://lasd.org/ccw/#ccw_qual

Reside in Los Angeles County or a city within the County. If the applicant is not a resident of an area served by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the applicant MUST apply for a Carry a Concealed Weapon license with their respective police agency. Only when a “denial letter” is issued, LASD will process the current application. If the applicant is active military, duty station orders indicating assignment within California (LA County) should be provided.

Maybe we can get LAPD to sign a MOU with LASD!
It shouldn't take an MOU. A couple cities in SBCO were on board issuing but were overwhelmed and just told people to go directly to the SO, no denial letter required. I think the city agencies just adopted
this as policy. While it does make things busier for the the SO, it smooths things out for people applying.
Old 04-07-2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1abob View Post
You have nothing to lose.. working as a body guard/security in my opinion puts you in the yellow cause.. Apparently los angeles has now gone into the light green cause.. I'm sure you can sit back and take a little time to come up with a great light green cause.. Now go get your ccw so we can all cheer for you.
In San Bernardino Co. this doesn't work. OP would have to apply as an armed guard, I think and be employed as such. The CCW is for self protection only. Physical property might be a no go too unless again he is hired and licensed as an armed security guard.
It would be best to get the rulebook, if one exists, and see when and where a CCW applies.
Old 04-07-2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsermdr View Post
I am in a similar situation and both LAPD and LASD said you do not need to be a naturalized citizen. LAPD just asked me to bring the documentation that I am a legal resident to the interview. Waiting for that interview now, so can only let you know once it happens.
thank you for the answer.Please update us!
Old 04-07-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy675 View Post
Mailed mine on 3/31 and tracking said it was delivered 3/31. Checked hasn't been cashed yet. No call yet.

I mail it on the 19 still nothing bro

Old 04-08-2021, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
It shouldn't take an MOU. A couple cities in SBCO were on board issuing but were overwhelmed and just told people to go directly to the SO, no denial letter required. I think the city agencies just adopted
this as policy. While it does make things busier for the the SO, it smooths things out for people applying.
See Post #2127 by pacrat, it's statutory, you have to get denied by local PD first if they issue, regardless of how restrictive and there is no MOU.
Old 04-08-2021, 6:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCx View Post

3/10 deputy called for phone interview. Invited me down for in personal interview
For the life scan part do you just go anywhere after interview,
Or did you have to wait for email for instructions?
Old 04-08-2021, 7:35 AM

In my case, the deputy handed me the Live Scan request right after the interview.
Old 04-08-2021, 8:09 AM

Quote:
I mail it on the 19 still nothing bro

Sorry, I posted late at night. I mailed mine March 24, not 3/31.

Hoping the delay is due to the increase of applications. Otherwise, not looking good for us.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Good cause info? Work related or purely recreational/daily activities?
Old 04-08-2021, 11:05 AM
Banned

Rasion4191 your PM Inbox is full. Below is my standard reply:

Quote:
Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. My Inbox has been flooded with PMs

I put my best advice in my CCW Application Advice thread pinned at the top of the County CCW Info forum. Go through all of that and the posts in the LA Co thread since January.

Let me know how it goes!
Old 04-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Banned

Just a reminder folks: #1 I don’t get paid for this.

#2 I don’t even live in LA Co.

#3 If you haven’t been attacked in the past year you probably won’t be in the next few days I’ll need to catch up.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

If my local PD has a page on their website that they "no longer will process CCW applications" and refer to the LASD website for CCW applications, does that mean I do not have to get an active denial letter from local PD before applying to LASD if they are simply telling people to go to LASD first for CCW applications?
Old 04-08-2021, 12:08 PM

Just FYI, a friend in LA applied and got his appointment for an interview in two weeks. The person then emailed the department and asked: can offroster guns be put on the license (yes), can the gun be modified (yes, so long as it follows state/federal laws).
Old 04-08-2021, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
If my local PD has a page on their website that they "no longer will process CCW applications" and refer to the LASD website for CCW applications, does that mean I do not have to get an active denial letter from local PD before applying to LASD if they are simply telling people to go to LASD first for CCW applications?
Correct.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor
Old 04-08-2021, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Submitted my paperwork, 4/8/2021. Will report back on anything if and when they get back to me to get an idea of timeline.
Old 04-08-2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Submitted my paperwork, 4/8/2021. Will report back on anything if and when they get back to me to get an idea of timeline.
I love that rooftop Korean photo. LOL
Old 04-08-2021, 2:51 PM

Any advice for people who dont really have solid good cause?

My area is mildly dangerous, I dont have a dangerous job or deal with super expensive stuff, threats, etc...
Old 04-08-2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:

Did they cash ur check first or phone interview first bro?

Old 04-08-2021, 4:29 PM

Default Check cashed

I dropped off my package at Walnut substation on 3/19. It had to be mailed interofficce to downtown. My check was cashed on April 7th. No phone interview yet. Will update as the process goes.
Old 04-08-2021, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN229 View Post
Any advice for people who dont really have solid good cause?

My area is mildly dangerous, I dont have a dangerous job or deal with super expensive stuff, threats, etc...
Current understanding is that LASD is leaning light green good cause, i.e. frequent recreational shooting or other outdoor activities in remote locations may be sufficient if you understand how to present your good cause in a manner that shows you have a reasonable concern about being a target for criminals/predators.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 04-08-2021, 4:31 PM

Submitted my application today 4/8/2021
I’ll try and give information on what they tell if they get back to me
Old 04-08-2021, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hypothetically speaking, if we LA County residents were able to obtain a CCW and the sheriff either changes or changes his mind two years down the road for renewals, they can simply deny renewals again like they were doing for new applicants before now?
Old 04-08-2021, 6:32 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, if we LA County residents were able to obtain a CCW and the sheriff either changes or changes his mind two years down the road for renewals, they can simply deny renewals again like they were doing for new applicants before now?
Correct.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-08-2021, 6:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Correct but highly unlikely. Take a minute and watch radicalgunnuttery’s animated map: EVERY change has been to more liberalization. NOT ONE state has gone in the other direction at least since 1985.

Even within CA every county that’s changed has gone from more restrictive to less. AFAIK the only exception was OC when Hutchens took over from corrupt Carona and pulled all CCWs. Then she told them to reapply and now OC liberally issues CCWs.

Compare these two maps:

Last edited by Paladin; 04-11-2021 at 8:29 AM..
Old 04-08-2021, 7:25 PM
Banned

This is in reply to a PM, but I’m posting it here for others’ benefit.

#1 read all of my CCW Application Advice thread pinned at the top of the forum. Sure some won’t apply to you but most will be of benefit.

#2 I think I read or heard that AV said being Asian and afraid isn’t enough on its own. But if you have more than just that maybe mention it too, saying because of their relatively short stature and reputations for primarily using cash and not going to LE they are being targeted for strong arm crimes.

#3 I think a LOT of people blew off when the map showed Yellow and didn’t start preparing their applications for when it turned green. They’re caught with their pants down. They don’t have evidence sufficient to prove their Recreational GCs. Two words of advice: don’t lie. Don’t even try to bend the truth. Cops deal with liars ALL the time. Lying on the application is, IIRC, a crime. Getting caught bending the truth turns the cop from neutral to wonder what else are you twisting. Your GMC will be shot for years.

So what do I advise if you didn’t start getting prepared months ago? Start now. Join that shooting club. Get back to regular shooting. You want to be competent when you start carrying, right? Foster those relationships with a view towards letters of reference. Get back into hiking. The fresh air and exercise will do your mind, body and spirit good. Do some regular volunteer work: helping others helps yourself. Give it 4 to 6 months to build up a track record.

In the meantime exercise situational awareness (Cooper’s Color Code); obey the 4-Stupids Rule and carry pepper spray.

If you’re going in with weak GC you don’t want the proof of it to also be weak.

My fear is that people will do just that, get denied and claim LASD isn’t accepting Light Green GC when in fact they would when there is evidence sufficient to prove that GC and risk exist.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-11-2021 at 8:30 AM..
Old 04-08-2021, 7:46 PM

Just want to say thank you everyone for their input and Paladin for the work you put in. I just dropped off my application at my local sheriffs station. Had a good chat with the deputy. Will check back in if I receive any updates.
Old 04-08-2021, 7:59 PM

Thanks Paladin, and others who've contributed. Very helpful and informative thread.

I've read through most of the posts (at least dating back 4 or 5 months), and although I've seen the term "live scan" mentioned often as part of the process, I'm still not entirely clear what that means.

I'd like to be as prepared as possible, so I'm wondering if anyone here who has been through it can share what is involved with that part of the application process. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2021, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

"Live Scan" is a fingerprinting that references FBI criminal database (and other state databases) to establish your identity and that you are who you claim you are, and also as a form of background check. You do it for when you apply for a COE for example, or for work related things that may require a background check. Fees for live scans generally range around $80-100 depending on who does it.
Old 04-08-2021, 9:35 PM

Quote:
"Live Scan" is a fingerprinting that references FBI criminal database (and other state databases) to establish your identity and that you are who you claim you are, and also as a form of background check. You do it for when you apply for a COE for example, or for work related things that may require a background check. Fees for live scans generally range around $80-100 depending on who does it.
Got it, thank you!
Old 04-09-2021, 7:02 AM

2nd post wooo hooo! haha. Okay enough of my filler post.

So I've gone backwards on this thread as far back as pages 30, phew. I'm reading a lot of good information and just wanted to say thank you all who have contributed

I've been digging so much more into the gun world and CCW has definitely piqued my interest, but I guess that's obvious for being on both CG and this thread. Anyways, as someone who is in LA Co and going to begin this journey I'm trying to get a couple things straight. So depending on if my city resides in LAPD jurisdiction or not I could potentially bypass that and go straight to LASD? If not I'd have to go through LAPD process with great chance of denial, then proceed with LASD?

In trying to figure out my GC statement I've narrowed down to a couple quite a few options.
  • I rent out rooms to 2 tenants of my house both of which I found through Craigslist. I handle lump sums of cash to multiple banks anywhere between $1k-$2k at a time.
  • I'm an avid runner, hiker, and backpacker. Many times of which I do at night. While I haven't documented this, I have found 9 and .45 casings on the bike path that I frequently run. Just to give a little location I frequent a park and there is a huge homeless community that surrounds the park that always seems suspect. I'm often times backpacking in remote areas in Angeles National Forest or Joshua Tree where there is no cell reception until you get into a town.
  • I'm an amateur photographer who carries $2k-$3k worth of photo equipment and about $1k of backpacking gear while doing said activity
  • I'm also a fairly good golfer who carries $1k-$2k worth of gear for hours at the same park mentioned above
  • I suppose the obvious of transporting firearms to the shooting range

I understand that's a huge list of items but I'd really like to generalize it and make my GC that more compelling. I'm open to suggestions and I really do appreciate this gun community.

Last edited by Giangofett; 04-09-2021 at 7:04 AM..
Old 04-09-2021, 7:23 AM
Banned

”Asian and afraid”: the more I think about this the more I think mentioning it it in your GC is a bad idea. Even if it is a legitimate risk and fear, AV would run a huge risk of being accused of having “racial preference” for arming Asians (or on the flip side “racial discrimination” against arming... non Asians) based upon “racist stereotypes.”

Group identity risks might work for disproportionately victimized groups Leftists deem Politically Correct (e.g., sexual minorities), but not for Asians (or whites).

Hopefully the justices Trump put on SCOTUS will enable us to finally win a “Right to Bear Arms” that “shall not be infringed.”
Old 04-09-2021, 7:27 AM

Updated on time line
3/19 mail
4/08 they just cashed the check

Now waiting

Old 04-09-2021, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
”Asian and afraid”: the more I think about this the more I think mentioning it it in your GC is a bad idea. Even if it is a legitimate risk and fear, AV would run a huge risk of being accused of having “racial preference” for arming Asians (or on the flip side “racial discrimination” against arming... non Asians) based upon “racist stereotypes.”

Group identity risks might work for disproportionately victimized groups Leftists deem Politically Correct (e.g., sexual minorities), but not for Asians (or whites).

Hopefully the justices Trump put on SCOTUS will enable us to finally win a “Right to Bear Arms” that “shall not be infringed.”
My thought process was with you on that one.

Quote:
Updated on time line
3/19 mail
4/08 they just cashed the check

Now waiting