Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-28-2018, 11:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This is good BR!

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2018, 5:16 PM

Cool photos. I mean to get there and do the same walk about you did.

Here is a bit of nearly unbelievable tie-in. You mention Chamberlain, and
he and I both spent time at Bowdoin. His house was 4 doors down from
mine, but separated by 100+ years. The house went to a relative and was
sold in the 1920s. Eventually, in the early 1980s it was cleaned out and
changed hands again.

When Chamberlain was injured, it looked like a fatal wound. Indeed it did eventually kill him. His brother packed up a bunch of stuff and prepared to send him back to Maine. They grabbed a new limber chest and put his stuff
in it and sent it north. Eventually Chamberlain recovered.

That new limber chest stayed with Chamberlain through his life and stayed at the house. When clean out time came, I was close by and bought Chamberlain's "new" limber chest. It was cheap, like a case of beer cheap.
It was not clear for a few decades exactly what it was I had (and still have.)

Anyway, I have an interesting artifact from the actual battles you have highlighted in photos.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Will be at Gettysburg manning artillery for the re-enactment.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by command_liner View Post
Cool photos. I mean to get there and do the same walk about you did.

Here is a bit of nearly unbelievable tie-in. You mention Chamberlain, and
he and I both spent time at Bowdoin. His house was 4 doors down from
mine, but separated by 100+ years. The house went to a relative and was
sold in the 1920s. Eventually, in the early 1980s it was cleaned out and
changed hands again.

When Chamberlain was injured, it looked like a fatal wound. Indeed it did eventually kill him. His brother packed up a bunch of stuff and prepared to send him back to Maine. They grabbed a new limber chest and put his stuff
in it and sent it north. Eventually Chamberlain recovered.

That new limber chest stayed with Chamberlain through his life and stayed at the house. When clean out time came, I was close by and bought Chamberlain's "new" limber chest. It was cheap, like a case of beer cheap.
It was not clear for a few decades exactly what it was I had (and still have.)

Anyway, I have an interesting artifact from the actual battles you have highlighted in photos.
Fantastic. If you could post a photo of it that would be great!

It is worth mentioning that Chamberlain was chosen by Grant to accept the surrender of a large portion of the Confederate Army near Appamattox. When Chamberlain's soldiers saluted the Confederate Column, their commanding officer, John Gordon was momentarily startled by it. When he quickly realized what they were doing, he spun around on his horse and returned the salute by touching the tip of his sword to his boot tip, a proper mounted salute.

It is a moment well documented in Civil War history. It was wise that Grant and his subordinates rendered dignified customs and courtesies to their surrendering foes. While the war was irrevocably lost for the south, the pride and raw emotion of the ANV soldiers could have turned violent if they had been jeered and mocked while surrendering. Thankfully Lincoln and Grant had specifically forbade such behavior.

It is also rich with irony to consider one of the most loathsome figures of this era, John Wilkes Booth. He was supposedly a hard core supporter of the Confederacy, even though he lived in Union controlled Washington and never served in the military on either side (although he was a spy for the CSA.)

When Booth tried to prop up the crumbling Confederacy by assassinating Lincoln, he believed he would be hailed as a southern hero and reignite southern war efforts. None of that happened as a result of his cowardly act. In fact, he did far more harm than good for the south. Lincoln's death put Andrew Johnson in the White House, a drunk and vindictive man who hated the south and probably slowed reconstruction through his revocation of Lincoln's olive branch and his desire to punish southerners for their actions.
Old 06-12-2018, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Fantastic. If you could post a photo of it that would be great!
Although I painted the chest not long after I got it, I did not get around
to the bottom. I have considered using a pressure washer to peel off the
latex paint I used back in the 1980s, but have not done so as of yet.

A professional restoration may be warranted since this piece nearly qualifies as
"national artifact" or something like that.

Here are a few photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/comman...57668613965859

Last edited by command_liner; 06-12-2018 at 2:02 PM..
Old 06-12-2018, 2:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Hudson View Post
Will be at Gettysburg manning artillery for the re-enactment.

For the good guys? Or the Union?

The Rowan Artillery is the very southern edge of the Confederate line (along Confederate Avenue - to the right even of Hood's troops), near the turn towards Roundtop. From my hometown, but all my ancestors were Infantry.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post

The Rowan Artillery is the very southern edge of the Confederate line (along Confederate Avenue - to the right even of Hood's troops), near the turn towards Roundtop. From my hometown, but all my ancestors were Infantry.
They both had good men, but I'm on Stonewall Jackson's Artillery A. They kept his artillery battalion after Jackson died.
Old 06-17-2018, 2:34 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I can't help but wonder: Did most reenactors also serve in the real military?
Old 06-17-2018, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I can't help but wonder: Did most reenactors also serve in the real military?

I've found, it's about 60/40, NON-vets.
Old 06-17-2018, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

My ggUncle was wounded there. Left arm & hip. Disabled thereafter and became a postman in Niagra NY. My ggGrandfather was in the 68th NY. Caught TB and was basically disabled until died in the VA hospital in Grand Rapids MI.

The 134th New York at Gettysburg: It brought 488 men to the field, losing 42 killed, 151 wounded and 59 missing. It turned into disaster. The 134th New York held the right flank of the brigade, and lost over half its strength in a few minutes when assaulted and overwhelmed by Confederates of Hoke’s and Hays’Brigades.
Attachment 715913

Last edited by M1NM; 09-15-2018 at 6:04 PM..
Old 06-18-2018, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
The 134th New York held the right flank of the brigade, and lost over half its strength in a few minutes when assaulted and overwhelmed by Confederates of Hoke’s and Hays’Brigades.
Attachment 715913

Woot! That was MY great-great uncle (57th NC), and his first cousin (21st NC) kickin' butt with Robert Hoke's Brigade! The 6th NC, also part of that brigade, took out Steven's Artillery on Steven's knoll that second night, as the 21st & 57th took East Cemetery Hill. And THEN... the Louisiana Tigers... froze.

ONE more platoon at Round Top, and ONE more platoon at East Cemetery Hill on Day 2, and we turn those Yankee cannons inward on July 3rd, and roll 'em up from BOTH ends! Then we burn Harrisburg, march to D.C., and demand Lincoln's surrender!

Ahhh wellll... I'm sure the Union will turn out just fine under Yankee rule.

Can I get an "Amen," California?
Old 06-18-2018, 9:07 AM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Woot! That was MY great-great uncle (57th NC), and his first cousin (21st NC) kickin' butt with Robert Hoke's Brigade! The 6th NC, also part of that brigade, took out Steven's Artillery on Steven's knoll that second night, as the 21st & 57th took East Cemetery Hill. And THEN... the Louisiana Tigers... froze.

ONE more platoon at Round Top, and ONE more platoon at East Cemetery Hill on Day 2, and we turn those Yankee cannons inward on July 3rd, and roll 'em up from BOTH ends! Then we burn Harrisburg, march to D.C., and demand Lincoln's surrender!

Is it considered rude and unfashionable to ask about how millions of Black Slaves might not have turned out just fine under continued Confederate rule?
California Rifle and Pistol Association - http://crpa.org/membership/
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org.../SIIB/CCW.aspx
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 06-18-2018, 12:40 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Sorry, but no.

As the unburied dead littered the field, and blown off limbs piled up outside the field hospitals in the July heat, I doubt anyone on either side had your level of enthusiasm toward the whole thing.