Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 05-09-2018, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

Default Dangerous Holstering Problem

I ran into a situation when holstering my Sig P229. The problem is that the if the gun isn't pushed straight into the Alien Gear 3.0, but is canted at an angle, the slide is accidentally racked. I learned to safely holster the gun with the holster riding in more of a 3:30 position, but had trouble when trying it out in more of a small of the back position such as around 4:30. Fortunately I realized that I had inadvertently cocked the hammer with a round chambered.

For those not familiar with Sigs, the P229 is a DA/SA gun with a decocker but without a safety, Hence, it cannot be safely carried in condition one.

To extricate myself from the predicament, I carefully loosened my belt and removed the holstered gun while all the time leaning forward so that the muzzle was pointed away from me. I could have tried to manipulate the decocker, but I wasn't about to put any added pressure on the trigger if it had somehow caught on resin shell of the holster. I suppose that was very unlikely.

I am not sure, but the problem may have been created by two things. The location of the holster made it impossible or very difficult for me to insert the gun straight into the holster and the belt was perhaps a bit tighter than it need be.

When holstering I let my thumb ride the hammer, which is why I realized that I had accidentally cocked it. My plan is not to wear it any further back than 3:3 o'clock so I can see what I am doing. [I also find that with my love handles the P229 prints less at that position.]

Does anyone have any constructive comments?
Old 05-09-2018, 4:44 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

I always press on the rear of the slide with my thumb when holstering, no matter the gun. Because in addition to the problem you describe, you can also create another problem where the gun is just slightly out of battery and may not fire.

For instance early Ruger LC9S had a problem where if this happened (and it did to some people when holstering), the slide would not return to battery even when unholstered because the slide would stick in this position due to the design of the recoil spring guide rod. They fixed it with a new design for the rod. But this could happen with other types of guns.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 05-09-2018, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Put your thumb on the back of the hammer when you insert.
Old 05-09-2018, 5:18 PM

Default Dangerous Holstering Problem

Old 05-09-2018, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I always press on the rear of the slide with my thumb when holstering, no matter the gun. Because in addition to the problem you describe, you can also create another problem where the gun is just slightly out of battery and may not fire.

For instance early Ruger LC9S had a problem where if this happened (and it did to some people when holstering), the slide would not return to battery even when unholstered because the slide would stick in this position due to the design of the recoil spring guide rod. They fixed it with a new design for the rod. But this could happen with other types of guns.
This
Old 05-09-2018, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I have been riding the hammer as suggested, which is what tipped me to the fact that I had cocked it, but I never thought about about pushing the slide in order to ensure that it is in battery. That is good to know. Especially if I wear the gun so far back I can't really see what I am doing very well.
Old 05-09-2018, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

If you had a 1911, the safety would be on, preventing the slide from moving........

Just sayin'

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 7:25 PM

Change your choice or firearms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 7:42 PM

Check out the Alien Gear 4.0. I recently upgraded mine to the 4.0 and have been very impressed so far. Trigger is covered on both sides, and you get a tactile click when holstering. May be worth the piece of mind to upgrade if they offer it for the Sig, as I doubt the same could happen with the 4.0
Old 05-10-2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShooter View Post
Check out the Alien Gear 4.0. I recently upgraded mine to the 4.0 and have been very impressed so far. Trigger is covered on both sides, and you get a tactile click when holstering. May be worth the piece of mind to upgrade if they offer it for the Sig, as I doubt the same could happen with the 4.0
ShapeShift 4.0 IWB Holster is not available for Sig P229 at the moment.
Old 05-10-2018, 8:27 PM

Good idea to switch to a location closer to the front of your body. I don't understand the desire to carry a firearm where it is easily accessible to someone outside the carrier's field of view. Bonus if carrying at 0330 fixes the problem.
Old 05-12-2018, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Good idea to switch to a location closer to the front of your body. I don't understand the desire to carry a firearm where it is easily accessible to someone outside the carrier's field of view. Bonus if carrying at 0330 fixes the problem.
Good point. It is also less than comfortable when seated, as in driving, and more difficult to access.
Old 05-13-2018, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

May want to back out the screws a little and use loctite, or use the bigger spacers to move the shell out a little.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
May want to back out the screws a little and use loctite, or use the bigger spacers to move the shell out a little.

This. Decrease the retention. It will take a few draws and re-holsters until the AG backing molds to your pistol.

Also, AG uses a funky mold for Sigs. Make sure that it is the correct mold for your specific generation of P229. I believe that they base their mold on the Legacy P229 with short extractor and half slide serrations.

You could have binding if your pistol is the newer, long extractor slide i.e. CA model. Decreasing retention should help regardless.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
This. Decrease the retention. It will take a few draws and re-holsters until the AG backing molds to your pistol.

Also, AG uses a funky mold for Sigs. Make sure that it is the correct mold for your specific generation of P229. I believe that they base their mold on the Legacy P229 with short extractor and half slide serrations.

You could have binding if your pistol is the newer, long extractor slide i.e. CA model. Decreasing retention should help regardless.
Thanks Yoshi and Lonestargrizzly. I think your suggestion of decreasing retention is a good one. Actually, part of the problem may have been that I need to pants with a larger waste. My 229 indeed has the full slide serrations and a long extractor. It also has half serrations on the front of the slide. It's the Enhanced Elite model. Presently I am carrying it at 2:30 to 3:00 in the same holster without problems. but that is also with a loser pair of pants. I will move it back to 4:00 with them to see how that works out with loser pants, but I think I like it over the strong side hip.

Last edited by Chewy65; 05-16-2018 at 5:18 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 AM
To clear, just rack once✔
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This is what I did. I found that my retention didn't need to be that strong. I've been using two Alien Gear 3.0 Tucks (for my Colt .45 and S&W Shield 9) for just over a year now and learned to always have my thumb on the back of the slide, preventing out-of-battery position, no matter what the retention.

By the way, I just ordered my third Alien Gear (the ShapeShift) for my new Glock 26.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 08-15-2018, 3:11 PM

Did you say you don’t carry in condition 1? And second you should practice having the gun holstered before you put it in/on your belt.
I recommend alien gear or stealth gear
WTB CZ 512 22wmr
WTB seecamp or Tomcat 32acp
Old 08-15-2018, 4:55 PM
This space for rent!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was thinking the shell is too tight.

I have a 3.0 and a P229, carry at 9:00 and 7:00 (lefty) and I've never had the slide move at all.

Maybe some minor adjustments will help you. Hope you can work it out, condition 1 with no safety is no bueno!

NRA life member since 1997
CRPA member