Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 12-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Default San Diego CCW

Del Mar Gun Show this past weekend. Despite a very small and slow show, mostly due to conflict with the Reno show, and the local fires, we did have a number of people stop by to talk to us that had received their permit approval from the San Diego Sheriff's office. None had the usual circumstances, lawyer, restraining order.

I can't say for certain, but I heard repeatedly from these and the San Diego gun advocacy group that they are seeing movement. Not sure yet why the change of heart. We will be following up with the San Diego Sheriff's office, but would like to see if anyone here in queue has had positive response.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:44 AM

The "good cause" statement will be your downfall.

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

If you don't fall neatly into, or can justify one of Sheriff Gore's silos, you are a bad person and don't deserve a CCW:

Good cause is determined on an individual basis. Applicants for a CCW should be able to set forth a set of circumstances that distinguishes the applicant from other members of the general public and causes him or her to be placed in harm’s way. Simply writing "self defense" or "personal protection" on an application does not provide the requisite proof of good cause. However, the following criteria, upon proof, may establish good cause:

- Evidence that there has been or is likely to be an attempt on the part of a second party to do great bodily harm to the applicant.

- The nature of the business or occupation of the applicant is such that it is subject to personal risk and / or criminal attack, greater than the general population.

- A task of the business or occupation of the applicant requires transportation of large sums of money or other valuables and alternative protective measures or security cannot be employed.

- When a business or occupation is of a high-risk nature and requires the applicant's presence in a dangerous environment.

- The occupation or business of the applicant is such that no means of protection, security or risk avoidance can mitigate the risk other than the carrying of a concealed firearm.

- Personal protection is warranted to mitigate a threat to the applicant that the applicant is able to substantiate.

- Good cause could include, but is not limited to, verifiable documented instances of threats to the personal safety of the applicant, his or her family, or employees. Threats to personal safety may be verbal or demonstrated through actual harm committed in the place of work, neighborhood or regular routes of travel for business. The applicant should articulate the threat as it applies personally to the applicant, his or her family, or employees. Non-specific, general concerns about personal safety are insufficient.
Old 12-12-2017, 4:07 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Not sure yet why the change of heart.
Gore is in an election against a (supposedly) pro-CCW democrat. He wants to keep his job.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 12-12-2017, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twidget1995 View Post
The "good cause" statement will be your downfall.

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

If you don't fall neatly into, or can justify one of Sheriff Gore's silos, you are a bad person and don't deserve a CCW:

Good cause is determined on an individual basis. Applicants for a CCW should be able to set forth a set of circumstances that distinguishes the applicant from other members of the general public and causes him or her to be placed in harm’s way. Simply writing "self defense" or "personal protection" on an application does not provide the requisite proof of good cause. However, the following criteria, upon proof, may establish good cause:

- Evidence that there has been or is likely to be an attempt on the part of a second party to do great bodily harm to the applicant.

- The nature of the business or occupation of the applicant is such that it is subject to personal risk and / or criminal attack, greater than the general population.

- A task of the business or occupation of the applicant requires transportation of large sums of money or other valuables and alternative protective measures or security cannot be employed.

- When a business or occupation is of a high-risk nature and requires the applicant's presence in a dangerous environment.

- The occupation or business of the applicant is such that no means of protection, security or risk avoidance can mitigate the risk other than the carrying of a concealed firearm.

- Personal protection is warranted to mitigate a threat to the applicant that the applicant is able to substantiate.

- Good cause could include, but is not limited to, verifiable documented instances of threats to the personal safety of the applicant, his or her family, or employees. Threats to personal safety may be verbal or demonstrated through actual harm committed in the place of work, neighborhood or regular routes of travel for business. The applicant should articulate the threat as it applies personally to the applicant, his or her family, or employees. Non-specific, general concerns about personal safety are insufficient.
The above can be interpreted very strictly or loosely (like OC). It just depends on the IA. San Diego's track record is interpreting it very strictly.

A tiger can't change its stripes. I'd go with the pro CCW candidate than believe that the change of policy will survive the election.
Old 12-12-2017, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, I don't think a tiger changes it's stripes either, but this last show was the first time I had customers with a SDSD permit that weren't lawyers, had a restraining order or ex law enforcement.

Contacted SDSD and was only given the information twidget1995 posted.

Will be interesting to follow, but yeah I can't see them following OC, SBSD or Riversides lead.
Old 12-12-2017, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Any idea what reasons they did give?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 12-13-2017, 8:52 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Good to hear whatever the reason.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 12-13-2017, 8:57 AM

I went in 11/2 and received my approval letter 12/8 (dated 12/6). I'm a business owner.
Old 12-13-2017, 6:43 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiettyyyy View Post
I went in 11/2 and received my approval letter 12/8 (dated 12/6). I'm a business owner.
Did your good cause list business activeties or did you just state that you were a business owner?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 12-13-2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Did your good cause list business activeties or did you just state that you were a business owner?
Listed my business activities that put me at additional risk. The process was very pleasant. I think I spent a total of 30 minutes in the office on the initial interview. Since I had all the required documents on the first interview, the clerk was able to handle my "second interview" the same day.
Old 12-14-2017, 8:51 PM
CGN Contributor

OP thank you for sharing this information. I hope it helps or encourages others who have been denied in the past to reapply. kiettyyy sounds like a positive experience despite the track record and Peruta debacle.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
A tiger can't change its stripes. I'd go with the pro CCW candidate than believe that the change of policy will survive the election.
True, but that does NOT mean small business owners or property managers (who sometimes collect cash rents), should not go ahead and apply now and still vote for Myers or someone other than Gore in June.

If they get denied now for insufficient GC, they can just reapply in Jan 2019 if someone other than Gore wins.

225+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I posted my thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1411374
...before I saw this one.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:25 AM

I am a business owner and would love to apply, what are the odds of approval with a DUI in 2014?

WTB
G40 MOS.**
STI 2011**
Browning BLR**
Browning BAR**
Old 12-25-2017, 1:13 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
I am a business owner and would love to apply, what are the odds of approval with a DUI in 2014?
Since the odds in SD haven't been historically very good at all and have apparently only recently changed slightly for the better, my guess is somewhere around 0%.

Give it a shot if you want, but I wouldn't want a denial on my record... personally I'd wait until it's been five years.

Old 12-25-2017, 2:23 PM

Thanks, that's kind of been my thought process this far so I've been avoiding applying until it was 5+ years.... More like 7+

WTB
G40 MOS.**
STI 2011**
Browning BLR**
Browning BAR**
Old 12-25-2017, 2:32 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, that's kind of been my thought process this far so I've been avoiding applying until it was 5+ years.... More like 7+
Can you find any info online concerning their requirements etc? Maybe even make a phone call and talk to someone in the CCW dept? I don't remember what they were for Berdoo (it's been 25+ years since mine) but I remember Utah told me five years for any drug/booze issues.

Old 12-25-2017, 3:00 PM

I have no knowledge, that's why I was asking....

WTB
G40 MOS.**
STI 2011**
Browning BLR**
Browning BAR**
Old 12-26-2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Since the odds in SD haven't been historically very good at all and have apparently only recently changed slightly for the better, my guess is somewhere around 0%.

Give it a shot if you want, but I wouldn't want a denial on my record... personally I'd wait until it's been five years.
I had a denial in one country several years ago. I moved to a CCW friendly county and that denial didn't hurt one bit. The detective asked why I was denied, and I told him that county did not issue to civilians. I was issued my permit.
I would apply, worse case you apply again in two years. The more people who are issued, the better it gets.

Edit, just saw the DUI comment, and........ Yeah you should wait. DUI is bad news for CCW
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2017, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
DUI? Dude, what were you thinking?

LEOs will think, "If this guy thought it was a good idea to drive a car while intoxicated, the odds are he also will think it's a good idea to draw a loaded gun while intoxicated."

A denial for insufficient GC won't hurt you long term or with other agencies. A denial for lack of GMC (e.g., DUI), will hurt you: you'll have to explain it and explain why they should now trust you to safely carry a loaded gun in public.

Especially with SDSO, just go on with your life for a few years and by that time, hopefully, carry will have liberalized and you'll have more time w/o bad LEO interactions.

Old 12-28-2017, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Odds are zero. I was stupid and had one back in 2005. In my 1st ccw interview I specifically asked if I would be considered. She said DUI is 10+ years for consideration and depends on the circumstance. I went forward and applied in November 2016 and was approved January of this year.

YMMV
Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 AM

Thanks. Looks like I'll be waiting for 2024 haha.

WTB
G40 MOS.**
STI 2011**
Browning BLR**
Browning BAR**
Old 01-08-2018, 12:32 PM

Default CCWs in San Diego

The reason you are seeing movement in San Diego on CCWs is because of San Diego County Gun Owner's Association.

SSCGO, of which I am a member, has backed and advocated for David Myers (D) who's running against Gore (R). This is because Myers claims that he will allow your good cause reason to be the 2nd amendment. Others and myself however believe this guy is like the guy in the van asking if you want some candy, to come into the van. He has the support of the San Diego Democrat Party and claims (D), which to me begs the question of how will he enforce other California Gun laws? Will he be at the ranges looking for CA non-complaint ARs? Will he enforce sanctuary city policy and turn a blind eye to illegals? Will he be arresting people at gun shows trading ammo or goods? I've seen him at the gun shows and talked to him and he will not talk about anything but CCWs, "The Carrot"!

Gore has been feeling the pressure and actually started issuing. Two of my friends have gotten theirs lately, but one is a women with past Domestic Violence against her and she works late and makes killer money. The other is female realtor but I hear others are starting to get them issued. Also, a couple of cities like Vista and El Cajon are talking about issuing through their city and going around the Sheriff.

I personally won't vote for a Democrat believing they will actually support/be pro Guns!

Last edited by Nippondaito; 01-08-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Old 01-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippondaito View Post
The reason you are seeing movement in San Diego on CCWs is because of San Diego County Gun Owner's Association. SSCGO, of which I am a member, has backed and advocated for David Myers (D) who's running against Gore (R). This is because Myers claims that he will allow your good cause reason to be the 2nd amendment.

Quote:
Others and myself however believe this guy is like the guy in the van asking if you want some candy, to come into the van. He has the support of the San Diego Democrat Party and claims (D), which to me begs the question of how will he enforce other California Gun laws? Will he be at the ranges looking for CA non-complaint ARs? Will he enforce sanctuary city policy and turn a blind eye to illegals? Will he be arresting people at gun shows trading ammo or goods? I've seen him at the gun shows and talked to him and he will not talk about anything but CCWs, "The Carrot"!

Quote:
Gore has been feeling the pressure and actually started issuing. Two of my friends have gotten theirs lately, but one is a women with past Domestic Violence against her and she works late and makes killer money. The other is female realtor but I hear others are starting to get them issued.
If we hear of more folks with GCs like this getting issued, San Diego may switch to "yellow" in the CA CCW GC map's July 2018 revision.

Quote:
Also, a couple of cities like Vista and El Cajon are talking about issuing through their city and going around the Sheriff.
Until there's action, talk is just talk.

Quote:
I personally won't vote for a Democrat believing they will actually support/be pro Guns!
Myers is openly gay. A Dem LEO who supports CCWs may just be a gay guy who learned the right lesson from the Pulse Nightclub massacre....

Last edited by Paladin; 01-13-2018 at 9:20 PM..
Old 01-13-2018, 6:47 PM

Also, a couple of cities like Vista and El Cajon are talking about issuing through their city and going around the Sheriff.
Until there's action, talk is just talk.

From what I have heard, Vista can't b/c they don't have a Police Dept to take over the responsibility, they contact out to the SD Sheriff. Oceanside is a different story, they have a PD and they are considering taking it over, again from what I have heard. Don't know anything about El Cajon

Rick
Old 01-20-2018, 7:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Are you new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post

"Denial on record" you're a very silly person! All the cool people have at least one denial on their record.
Remember the time Waldo Emerson visited H D Thoreau while he was in jail. Emerson said, Henry what the hell are you doing in jail? Thoreau replied, Waldo what the hell are you doing out there?
Old 03-22-2018, 4:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Cross posting some REALLY "good news" from San Diego County Gun Owners PAC:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD County Gun Owners PAC View Post
Since the changes San Diego County Gun Owners PAC forced in September the average applications have gone from 10 a month to over 10 a day and not one person has been turned down due to good cause. We know of hundreds of approved applications and their "good cause" never would have passed before September.
I encourage all San Diego residents to not believe the progress we've seen. Please, be sceptical. Please apply and report back.
Use this video to apply:
Watch "Applying for your CCW in San Diego _ Step by Step w/Additional Info" on YouTube
and