Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-05-2015, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I am not saying he is right or that I agree with him, but I understand, look at it from his point of view. He is putting his livelihood on the line if he doesn't fulfill the law. Even if he knows that he doesn't have to, he is not doing anything illegal and just being extra cautious. And the DOJ will definitely not penalize him for this, but an auditor may inform him during an audit he doesn't need to do it. Either way, he isn't breaking the law and it is his store and his rules. This is what he feels is necessary to do to protect himself. I get that it is a pain in the ***, but a proper safe handling should only take 1 minute, 1 minute out of your life that you only have to do once for your purchase and then it is yours for a lifetime, I don't think he is inconveniencing you that badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetMaven View Post
A LGS owner just told me he requires all buyers to perform a safe handling test, including buyers using hunting licenses to purchase rifles. He swore to me that this is a California requirement. He said it was in information the state gave him when the FSC program started. Well, it may well have been in the information they gave him - who knows, right? - but as far as I know it is not true: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fscfaqs#a21

I recently saw one of his employees insisting a longtime hunter go through that process with a pile of rifles. The customer was buying those rifles using his hunting license, and he was not exactly happy. I don't know if the guy will be back. I hate to see stores lose business over this state-imposed confusion, especially this one since it's the only truly local store for me. That's why I asked the owner next time I saw him.

Nothing has changed, right? Even under the new "emergency regulations"? Or am I in a parallel universe today? Maybe if I go back there while the place is quieter, I'll try to show him that link. This particular store doesn't do so well on Yelp already...
Old 03-05-2015, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is not just a store policy: he really does think it's required. He was audited recently, so yes he's being extra careful. And yes it's only 1 minute out of your life, but not everyone takes it that way. That hunter I saw there wasn't arguing, but it was visibly clear he felt surprised, confused, and disrespected. It was some young new clerk less than half his age insisting on this too. On average, when people get treated better in another store, that store starts getting more or all of their business. And that's a shame.

Lefty videos
Revolver reloading: de BethencourtAyoob (lefty at 4:30)
Semi-auto handling: SIG SAUER AcademyGunsite Academy
Old 03-18-2015, 12:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why don't we propose something where the FSC/HSC is optional?

Either buy a HSC/FSC and skip safety demonstration, or skip HSC/FSC and go through a free safety demonstration each gun purchase to show or be taught to be competent with the firearm you purchased. Since "it's all about safety".

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 05-07-2015, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

So, does a hunting license for next season count as valid or not? The only license I have "active" right now is the one that starts 7/2015.
Old 05-07-2015, 9:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Why don't we propose something where the FSC/HSC is optional?

Either buy a HSC/FSC and skip safety demonstration, or skip HSC/FSC and go through a free safety demonstration each gun purchase to show or be taught to be competent with the firearm you purchased. Since "it's all about safety".
Because the FSC/HSC is a tax on exercising your Second Amendment rights. Do you really think this corrupt state would give up revenue?

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-07-2015, 7:49 PM
CGN Contributor

It is a tax nothing more.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-08-2015, 7:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
So, does a hunting license for next season count as valid or not? The only license I have "active" right now is the one that starts 7/2015.
Ha! I bet responses to this question by store owners will be all over the map. Since it's not "valid" for hunting until July I know at least one store that will not accept it, even though it's clearly valid in proving what it's supposed to prove: you already passed a long gun safety demo test during hunter education.

Any lgs owners want to chime in here? This is worth a call from an FFL to the DOJ to ask your question, but that will take longer than the safety demo itself. Please let us know what happens.

Lefty videos
Revolver reloading: de BethencourtAyoob (lefty at 4:30)
Semi-auto handling: SIG SAUER AcademyGunsite Academy
Old 05-08-2015, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, so I can report that a hunting license that is valid for the upcoming season will work at least one place. Guy at the store said it obviously fulfills the intent since it shows that I could have one for the current season as well.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm going to go this week and get my FSC. My wallet was stolen last year along with my DL, I've been too lazy to get a duplicate. I have a DL that expired a year ago. Will I need to get a new DL or can I use the expired one?

I checked the DOJ website, its just said a DL or DMV ID is needed, it doesn't necessarily say "valid" I thought I could get a replacement DL online, hec !! you can renew your DL online, you just can't replace one that is lost or stolen..

Thanks

fish

MLC, First 3
Old 05-09-2015, 1:56 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
I'm going to go this week and get my FSC. My wallet was stolen last year along with my DL, I've been too lazy to get a duplicate. I have a DL that expired a year ago. Will I need to get a new DL or can I use the expired one?

I checked the DOJ website, its just said a DL or DMV ID is needed, it doesn't necessarily say "valid" I thought I could get a replacement DL online, hec !! you can renew your DL online, you just can't replace one that is lost or stolen..

Thanks

fish
DL/ID must be valid as a document to be acceptable for identification. No FFL who is paying attention - which is substantially all of them - would let that slip by.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-09-2015, 2:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
DL/ID must be valid as a document to be acceptable for identification. No FFL who is paying attention - which is substantially all of them - would let that slip by.
Thanks Librarian, I dislike going to the DMV, luck me, I was able to make an appointment for June 10

MLC, First 3
Old 05-28-2015, 4:27 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Ok, so I can report that a hunting license that is valid for the upcoming season will work at least one place. Guy at the store said it obviously fulfills the intent since it shows that I could have one for the current season as well.
Well I know this thread is a little old, but... just spoke with the DOJ and they confirmed that the Hunting License must be CURRENTLY valid and NOT FUTURE valid...

RiversideTactical.com
dhauer@riversidetactical.com
Old 07-07-2015, 1:19 AM

Couple of FSC questions;
  1. Just heard that you have to pay via credit or debit card, is that true? no cash, check, or money order?!
  2. Assuming your info is entered in the system, is it automatically tied in with your DMV or other CA ID info? like if you get pulled over can they instantly know you have an FSC? or do they have to do additional separate "digging"?
  3. Can you get an FSC without buying a firearm? just to get the certificate?
Old 07-07-2015, 1:51 AM

Ugh, every time I ponder over picking up a rifle I remember I don't have the stupid fsc. I half heartedly swore off long guns once registration kicked in, but I've been tempted to break it lately.

Fsc definitely that extra 25 I don't want to dump on top of a 3-400 dollar c&r or shotgun. Working as designed, I guess.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svetlana View Post
Couple of FSC questions;
  1. Just heard that you have to pay via credit or debit card, is that true? no cash, check, or money order?!
  2. Assuming your info is entered in the system, is it automatically tied in with your DMV or other CA ID info? like if you get pulled over can they instantly know you have an FSC? or do they have to do additional separate "digging"?
  3. Can you get an FSC without buying a firearm? just to get the certificate?
1 - I think that's true. That was my recent experience, anyway. Perhaps some of our FFL members might comment.

2 - Doesn't seem reasonable to connect the databases, but I dunno.

3 - yes

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 07-07-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
1 - I think that's true. That was my recent experience, anyway. Perhaps some of our FFL members might comment.

2 - Doesn't seem reasonable to connect the databases, but I dunno.

3 - yes
1. That is strange, I know FFLs have to go online and pay for DROS and FSC now so they have to use a credit card. But do customers have to use a credit or debit card?

I just moved back to CA and still haven't gotten a checking account in order to get a credit card (unless I get a prepaid debit card)?
Old 07-07-2015, 6:28 PM
CGN Contributor

I'm pretty sure my LGS uses his CC to do the FSC. But you can pay him any way you like. I have a hunting lic. Just to avoid the states ransome and harassment to get you to not want to go through the trouble of buying a firearm.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-07-2015, 6:46 PM

Ok, but if someone does get an FSC, that does not automatically mean they own a cache of firearms, if someone looked them up, right?

It just means they know how to be "safe" around guns (in accordance with CA's definitions of "safe")?
Old 04-25-2016, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Hhhmmm... ...

Does it really make sense for the FSC? I mean, it doesn't really amount to anything (except the "TAX," that is)...

Well, I just got my FSC over the weekend. Got a 30/30 - as a friend shooter of mine said, "... it's ALL common sense..."

But then - there were two other guys who took the test with me. One was asking the DOJ-certified instructor to "re-word" the questions for him; while another basically flunked at 20/30!

For the latter - SERIOUSLY!?! Of course there are some questions that you may miss due to specific laws; but still, you should be able to pass with "common sense"...??? (Personally, wouldn't want to be near this person if he has a firearm).
Old 04-25-2016, 7:02 PM

The test is stupid easy. I just recently got mine just because my old HSC was expiring in September.

Get your power armor as fast as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
im hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes up
Old 05-19-2016, 9:49 PM

The store Shooters Warehouse that issued my FSC is now closed and a need a replacement. Do I have any other option than having to pay to take the test again elsewhere?
Old 05-20-2016, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justagun View Post
The store Shooters Warehouse that issued my FSC is now closed and a need a replacement. Do I have any other option than having to pay to take the test again elsewhere?
DOJ files the tests under the instructor's name, i.e. the guy who actually issued you your card.
If you cannot find that person so he can access his file to get your replacement, you get to take the test again.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM

Default Retired Military X25 FSC Exemption

Can anyone tell me what reason my LGS would require a copy of my DD 214 in addition to my Retired Military ID Card (DD Form 2) in order to pick up a long gun at the end of the waiting period? I used the retired ID for the FSC exemption X25.

I provided my retired ID card on the date of the original purchase, and several days later they called and left a message that I also needed to bring a copy of my DD 214 in when I pick it up.

I called back to ask why and all I got was that they needed some additional information from it (couldn't specifically tell me what though).

I'd like to know if this is a DOJ requirement or do they (LGS), not know how to interpret the exemptions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryder View Post
Can anyone tell me what reason my LGS would require a copy of my DD 214 in addition to my Retired Military ID Card (DD Form 2) in order to pick up a long gun at the end of the waiting period? I used the retired ID for the FSC exemption X25.

I provided my retired ID card on the date of the original purchase, and several days later they called and left a message that I also needed to bring a copy of my DD 214 in when I pick it up.

I called back to ask why and all I got was that they needed some additional information from it (couldn't specifically tell me what though).

I'd like to know if this is a DOJ requirement or do they (LGS), not know how to interpret the exemptions.

Thanks in advance.
Does your retired ID card state "honorably retired"? This is necessary to claim the exemption. If it does not state this, it could be a reason they want your DD214.
Old 07-18-2016, 1:10 PM

No, it does not specifically state "honorably retired". It says US Navy Retired. I'm not aware that you can even retire (20 years of service or more) from the military with service that is not Honorable.

Additionally, I've made several purchases (HG's and LG's) over the past couple years and used the exemption and was never asked to produce anything besides my retired ID card.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Happy New Year everyone!

Anyone know a decent place to go get the FSC in the SFV/SC/Simi area? My sister wants to get one and Big 5 no longer does these unless it's part of a purchase of a long gun from them.

I love my sister so sending her to Turner's is not an option. Any place that can do the FSC only? Never checked any of the other LGS for this specific item. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 01-01-2017, 1:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I can issue it. I am not sure of why they would not issue it since it is all done on the computer now, so no having to deal with the stupid certificates and ordering them.

I am in Simi Valley.

My suggestion is to not get one until you actually need it. It is good for 5 years, so no reason to start the clock until you need it so that it is longer until you need it again, plus you never know when they are going to change it again (BFSC -> HSC -> FSC).

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-01-2017, 1:48 PM

Went to turners and I had the fire arms safety very and hunting license. I was told that I had to perform the safe handling demonstration.

Load the magazine.
Load the firearm
Toggle safety
Discharge(snap caps).
Unless to breach open.

Lol it was quick.one bolt action and one handgun so meh
Old 01-01-2017, 2:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you use the Hunting license for a long gun, then you are exempt from the Safety Demo since that is part of the FSC program.

Unless you have a safe, you have to use the gun lock and have it locked at the start and at the end.

Finding the correct dummy round can take some time as well :-).

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-01-2017, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKing View Post
Went to turners and I had the fire arms safety very and hunting license. I was told that I had to perform the safe handling demonstration.

Load the magazine.
Load the firearm
Toggle safety
Discharge(snap caps).
Unless to breach open.

Lol it was quick.one bolt action and one handgun so meh
No issue with Turner's speed once they get to you, but it's just way too crowded.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 01-01-2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
I can issue it. I am not sure of why they would not issue it since it is all done on the computer now, so no having to deal with the stupid certificates and ordering them.

I am in Simi Valley.

My suggestion is to not get one until you actually need it. It is good for 5 years, so no reason to start the clock until you need it so that it is longer until you need it again, plus you never know when they are going to change it again (BFSC -> HSC -> FSC).
Thank you, are you a shop or a private FFL? Please P.M. me details of you can. I think with Big 5 it's more of a manpower thing. I've only seen store managers giving out the tests and certificates.

Old 01-01-2017, 2:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It may be that only the manager is an instructor.

I sent you a PM.

Old 01-01-2017, 2:24 PM

Good place to get an FSC in the Ventura County area? Won't be needing one for several months since I'm still a reservist but will be needing one once I'm done done with the military lol
Old 01-13-2017, 4:34 AM

in MN i think our hunter safety ED number turns into our drivers license number correct??? i have my old warn out hunter ED card with the number on it but on my drivers license its says firearm safety ...

they needed a hunter ID number in oklahoma this past spring & i gave them my drivers license number & all was fine & dandy i assume its the same in ND???

if you state is anything like MN i assume its similar ur drivers license turns into ur hunter ID card after a certain age??? i mite have to give the ND game & fish a call to get a strait answer???

That's correct. If you have completed the course you will have a firearms certificate endorsement on the back of your license.
Old 01-13-2017, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichel View Post
in MN i think our hunter safety ED number turns into our drivers license number correct??? i have my old warn out hunter ED card with the number on it but on my drivers license its says firearm safety ...

they needed a hunter ID number in oklahoma this past spring & i gave them my drivers license number & all was fine & dandy i assume its the same in ND???

if you state is anything like MN i assume its similar ur drivers license turns into ur hunter ID card after a certain age??? i mite have to give the ND game & fish a call to get a strait answer???

That's correct. If you have completed the course you will have a firearms certificate endorsement on the back of your license.
well, our state is nothing like Minnesota so......
Old 03-28-2017, 4:42 PM

Question FSC card, Retired Military

I had read somewhere that the state of Kommiefornia was going to make it necessary for everyone to take a firearms saftey course to get a FSC, even for long guns, is that true? Does it apply to retired Military members with a valid Military ID card? I know that I have bought firearms for the past 20 or so years and only needed my Military ID Card, have they changed that exemption?

Thanks to all who reply.
Old 03-28-2017, 5:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74man View Post
(1) I had read somewhere that the state of Kommiefornia was going to make it necessary for everyone to take a firearms saftey course to get a FSC, even for long guns, is that true?

(2) Does it apply to retired Military members with a valid Military ID card? I know that I have bought firearms for the past 20 or so years and only needed my Military ID Card, have they changed that exemption?

Thanks to all who reply.
1) not true

2) unchanged for law effective in 2017.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 06-09-2017, 7:31 PM

Thanks for the reassurance. Is there an FSC question guide available for download by the buying public yet?
Old 06-09-2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geogorad View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. Is there an FSC question guide available for download by the buying public yet?
Here's a link to the FSC study guide:

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...orms/hscsg.pdf
Old 06-09-2017, 7:55 PM

Study guide? I have had at least 7-8 of my friends take the test. Just to prove to them how stupid it is. The deal was, if they fail, I will be buying the beer. Being non gun guys, surprisingly to them, they all passed. Free beer!
My wife doesn't make a difference between AR and AK, she passed it as well. Now she is very safe... LOL!

-If communism doesn't work, why do so many people support it?
-Because they don't work either.