Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Tulare

UPDATE (2015 April 07): From IMPORTANT CCW APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS .pdf linked at: http://www.tularecounty.ca.gov/sheri...rms-documents/

Good Cause Statements

California Penal code section 12050 states in part that the CCW applicant must provide good cause which is defined as a Convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life, or of great bodily harm to the applicant, his/her spouse, or dependent child, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-07-2015 at 10:17 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 7:34 PM

New used, taking this from another forum, I'm interested in getting my CCW, my neighborhood's gotten a little bit sketchy, robberieshad 4 seperate and caught/tackled a guy trying to break in two weeks ago. I know just the "inside the home" stuff isn't cause in-itself, but my street seems to be a byway for people from other neighborhoods. My girlfriends car stolen off the street, felt like I was going to get carjacked a couple times... Can I use the break-in attempts/robberies as evidence that I don't live in a safe neighborhood? I really don't want to wait to get mugged or carjacked to submit for it...
I backpack up in the Sierras... and don't like the idea of running into the people growing "cash crops"... and I frequently travel from Reedley to Visalia to visit Family... usually returning by myself late at night driving on the back roads... I know that this site hasn't posted any "approved good cause statements" for Tulare yet... So I wondering if any users could help me fine tune? Are these reasons somthing that would be considered or am I out in left field? I've been told that multiple applications/re-jections can hurt your chances, didn't want to just whip something together and throw it in the mail...

mike
Old 02-08-2011, 7:48 PM

Welcome Mike, I also Live in tulare county and would like to invite you to join the visalia sportsmans association, we offer free ccw classes to all members, ( required in tulare county)we also have our own range, clubhouse and FFL all for only 45.00 a year ( I think) many of our members are ccw holders and would be happy to share information with new people. you can find us in the phone book or at visaliasportsmans.com

John Spier
Old 02-08-2011, 8:54 PM

Thanks John, E-mail's been sent to the address listed for membership...
Old 02-08-2011, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Tulare is a friendly county; you should feel free to apply using a self-defense variant. We urge applicants to keep their good cause focused, as most cause-based denials are based on "storybook" narratives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85mr View Post
New used, taking this from another forum, I'm interested in getting my CCW, my neighborhood's gotten a little bit sketchy, robberieshad 4 seperate and caught/tackled a guy trying to break in two weeks ago. I know just the "inside the home" stuff isn't cause in-itself, but my street seems to be a byway for people from other neighborhoods. My girlfriends car stolen off the street, felt like I was going to get carjacked a couple times... Can I use the break-in attempts/robberies as evidence that I don't live in a safe neighborhood? I really don't want to wait to get mugged or carjacked to submit for it...
I backpack up in the Sierras... and don't like the idea of running into the people growing "cash crops"... and I frequently travel from Reedley to Visalia to visit Family... usually returning by myself late at night driving on the back roads... I know that this site hasn't posted any "approved good cause statements" for Tulare yet... So I wondering if any users could help me fine tune? Are these reasons somthing that would be considered or am I out in left field? I've been told that multiple applications/re-jections can hurt your chances, didn't want to just whip something together and throw it in the mail...

mike

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-16-2011, 7:14 AM

Hi, I am new to this forum, I am a member of VSA and am interestest in applying for my CCW,as is my wife. We own our own business and I travel quite a bit. My question is in regards to section 7 question 6 on the Tulare county CCW application. I have a DUI that is more than 5 years old and was wondering if that would cause me to be declined. Also where you have to list your traffic infringements, i pulled a 10 year driving record from the DMV but can not figure out what it acctually says. can someone help please??
Old 07-16-2011, 9:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Crank, can a DUI cause denial? Under the current law, yes. Will it? Probably not, in Tulare. If you've already pulled your 10 year dmv history, make a copy and attached it to the application. Mark the section "see attached copy of record". Also, be sure to note the DUI under convictions.
Old 11-03-2011, 7:20 PM

I have a couple of buddys that live in Tulare county that want to get their LTC's and I was wondering how the process works there. Here in Kern county we apply first and then after you are approved you take the 8 hour course and do the background check, that way your not out the money if you get denied. Is it the same in Tulare co? Also, dose the sheriff their accept being in the mountains and country alot, doing shooting sports and that sort of thing as a good cause. Any other commits or suggestions would help. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 8:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Tulare is a friendly county; you should feel free to apply using a self-defense variant. We urge applicants to keep their good cause focused, as most cause-based denials are based on "storybook" narratives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbirdog View Post
I have a couple of buddys that live in Tulare county that want to get their LTC's and I was wondering how the process works there. Here in Kern county we apply first and then after you are approved you take the 8 hour course and do the background check, that way your not out the money if you get denied. Is it the same in Tulare co? Also, dose the sheriff their accept being in the mountains and country alot, doing shooting sports and that sort of thing as a good cause. Any other commits or suggestions would help. Thanks.
Post #5 seems pretty straightforward. I don't recall hearing any Tulare applicants being charged full price before their Good Cause was approved. For your buddies in Tulare County, have them check out the License to Carry class at the Visalia Sportsmens Association. Daniel does the class and he's good people.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 PM

Just purchased my first handgun and am now interested in getting my CCW. Can someone explain the entire process and requirements in order to obtain my CCW for Tulare County? Thanks!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-19-2013, 8:58 PM

Anyone have any type of info for me?

Old 02-23-2013, 8:59 AM

Smile CCW Tulare County

The latest info, which I learned in January 2013 when I submitted my application.

1. You can pick up an application packet at the Sheriff's office near the main courthouse in Visalia or you can get most of the forms online at the TCSO website. They do not include the paper to list your three personal references online, but you can just bring your references' names, addresses and phone numbers with you on a paper and write it out when you turn in your forms. That's what I did.

2. You will have to list the make/model/serial number of any FA you intend to carry. It's fine if you have an off-roster handgun.

3. When you drop off the application, the nice lady who works there will do your livescan fingerprinting before you leave, and after she takes a look at your paperwork. You pay $114 to submit application and get the livescan. More $$ when you pick up permit.

4. You need a current utility bill or property tax bill with YOUR name (not spouse) and your residence address to prove you live there.

5. You can submit your application and take the CCW class while it is pending or after it is approved (presumably so you don't waste your money on a CCW class when the sheriff will be denying you). Or you can turn in your certificate with your application.

6. When I was there, she called a few people up and said "you need a little more here than what you have written." It sounded to me like people were giving a good cause statement "for self defense" without more, and she was suggesting they elaborate. But I don't know for sure, because she was discreet about the actual contents of others' applications.

7. It took about 45 minutes total to drop off the application because she reviews it and brings it back for clarification, etc. Which I thought was nice, rather than just rejecting you later.

8. She said it is taking about 2-4 months to get the permits out because there are so many people submitting applications.

When I was there, it was a steady stream of people. Easy process, though.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulareCounty View Post
The latest info, which I learned in January 2013 when I submitted my application.

1. You can pick up an application packet at the Sheriff's office near the main courthouse in Visalia or you can get most of the forms online at the TCSO website. They do not include the paper to list your three personal references online, but you can just bring your references' names, addresses and phone numbers with you on a paper and write it out when you turn in your forms. That's what I did.

2. You will have to list the make/model/serial number of any FA you intend to carry. It's fine if you have an off-roster handgun.

3. When you drop off the application, the nice lady who works there will do your livescan fingerprinting before you leave, and after she takes a look at your paperwork. You pay $114 to submit application and get the livescan. More $$ when you pick up permit.

4. You need a current utility bill or property tax bill with YOUR name (not spouse) and your residence address to prove you live there.

5. You can submit your application and take the CCW class while it is pending or after it is approved (presumably so you don't waste your money on a CCW class when the sheriff will be denying you). Or you can turn in your certificate with your application.

6. When I was there, she called a few people up and said "you need a little more here than what you have written." It sounded to me like people were giving a good cause statement "for self defense" without more, and she was suggesting they elaborate. But I don't know for sure, because she was discreet about the actual contents of others' applications.

7. It took about 45 minutes total to drop off the application because she reviews it and brings it back for clarification, etc. Which I thought was nice, rather than just rejecting you later.

8. She said it is taking about 2-4 months to get the permits out because there are so many people submitting applications.

When I was there, it was a steady stream of people. Easy process, though.
Perfect! Thanks for the details!

Old 02-08-2015, 8:04 AM

You can download the PDF file found on Calguns, fill it out and print. Instructions on the application state it needs to be filled out in person but the nice lady said I could turn in the application that I printed from home all filled out.

Checklist: http://www.tularecounty.ca.gov/sheri...-instructions/

Application in PDF: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/wp-...pplication.pdf

You will also need 3 references (Name, Address, Phone Number). Known for over two years and not a relative.

You bring in your app with I.D. and proof of residency along with $112 and you will get Live Scanned on the spot.

Then you wait for them to contact our references and run your background check.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kevin View Post
You can download the PDF file found on Calguns, fill it out and print. Instructions on the application state it needs to be filled out in person but the nice lady said I could turn in the application that I printed from home all filled out.

Checklist: http://www.tularecounty.ca.gov/sheri...-instructions/

Application in PDF: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/wp-...pplication.pdf

You will also need 3 references (Name, Address, Phone Number). Known for over two years and not a relative.

You bring in your app with I.D. and proof of residency along with $112 and you will get Live Scanned on the spot.

Then you wait for them to contact our references and run your background check.
Did you get a CCW from Tulare SO? If so, do they require more than "self-defense" as a Good Cause statement?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Did you get a CCW from Tulare SO? If so, do they require more than "self-defense" as a Good Cause statement?
I turned in my application with references and proof of I.D. etc 5 days ago but haven't heard back yet. I did apply through Tulare Co. SO and they looked it over. I wrote "Primarily for protection of myself and family" and I noted that I often carry lots of expensive technology and I had my truck broken into a few years ago.

I didn't get any responses to my original question of GC so I just went with that. I will definitely update this thread when I go back to (hopefully) pick up my license.
Old 02-08-2015, 8:26 PM

The process is pretty easy in Tulare Co. they are giving CCW's to pretty much anyone that has a clean record. When you fill out the 13 page app it will ask your cause or reason. Just say for protection of myself and others. I understand if you say I was attacked or something like that it will slow the process and they will investigate.
This is what I wrote in another thread.
"My son and several of our friends have gotten CCWs lately it Tulare. It's an easy process now. I got mine 20+ years ago when you needed a good reason."

Hope this helps

The power of Gun free Zones https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=hnBWa_xJz6A

In California we're called "Wacko right-wing gun toting nut jobs with an arsenal" most other states just call us People.
Old 02-08-2015, 8:32 PM

A group of people got theirs in a few weeks and others got them a few weeks later all at the same time. The way we looked at it was a pile of apps sat on someones desk until they got around to processing .

The power of Gun free Zones https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=hnBWa_xJz6A

In California we're called "Wacko right-wing gun toting nut jobs with an arsenal" most other states just call us People.
Old 02-09-2015, 4:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I didn't get any responses to my original question of GC so I just went with that. I will definitely update this thread when I go back to (hopefully) pick up my license.
Wish you the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoberts12345 View Post
The process is pretty easy in Tulare Co. they are giving CCW's to pretty much anyone that has a clean record. When you fill out the 13 page app it will ask your cause or reason. Just say for protection of myself and others. I understand if you say I was attacked or something like that it will slow the process and they will investigate.
"My son and several of our friends have gotten CCWs lately it Tulare. It's an easy process now. I got mine 20+ years ago when you needed a good reason."

Hope this helps
It does. Thx!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:57 AM

It's been about 6 weeks since I submitted my app and did my Livescan. Should I call on Monday to check on the status? Too early to be concerned?
Old 03-23-2015, 8:32 PM

v.Kevin, have you heard anything yet? It's been about 6 weeks for me as well, and I've yet to hear anything either. What's interesting is that a friend of mine told me his application process took about 5 weeks, but he did his several months ago.
Old 03-31-2015, 8:26 PM

FWIW: I applied in mid Dec. and got the call to come pick it up on Mar 2nd. So I guess that's about 10 weeks for a recent example.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Thanks for that info! Looks like I just need to be patient and wait a few more weeks.
Old 04-05-2015, 4:05 PM

Yes, thanks for the input.

I was speaking to a gentleman at the range who works for the county and knows the folks down at the sheriff's office very well. He said they had 7 or 8 thousand applications to go through.
Old 04-07-2015, 3:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Something does not make sense....

On their CCW Info webpage (http://www.tularecounty.ca.gov/sheri...rms-documents/), their linked IMPORTANT CCW APPLICATION INFORMATION .pdf says,

Good Cause Statements

California Penal code section 12050 states in part that the CCW applicant must provide good cause which is defined as a Convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life, or of great bodily harm to the applicant, his/her spouse, or dependent child, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm.

That sure sounds restrictive issuance to me. (I'm adding that quote & link to this thread's OP since it's their official position.)

Quote:
I was speaking to a gentleman at the range who works for the county and knows the folks down at the sheriff's office very well. He said they had 7 or 8 thousand applications to go through.
If their GC requirement is still as stated on their website, that's one heck of a lot of applications that will be denied....

If they've loosened their GC requirement, Tulare SO is on its way to becoming one of the leading issuers of CCWs in the state!

Last edited by Paladin; 04-07-2015 at 3:48 PM..
Old 04-07-2015, 4:11 PM

To the best of my knowledge, that message has always been on their site, but our current Sheriff was already on board with the Peruta ruling (prior to the recent development). I've heard the same thing from several applicants that got approved and even from my CCW instructor.

I'm honestly kind of curious though with Peruta being reheard and all if he's still going to issue as much as before.
Old 04-15-2015, 6:04 AM

I wish I knew about the Good Cause. I kinda heard about "Self Protection" but couldn't confirm it would fly. I got my info from the Sheriff's website and saw that statement ^^^.

Hopefully I didn't make things difficult by following instructions. lol
Old 04-17-2015, 7:14 AM

Wooohooo! Just got the call from Liz at the sheriff's office. My permit is approved and ready to be picked up.

I turned in my application, CCW class cert. of completion and everything on Feb 3rd. So 10 weeks, 3 days for the entire process.

Thanks, Obama!!!
Old 04-18-2015, 6:44 AM

Quote:

Hope this helps
Can I apply for a CCW in Tulare Co. if I live in santa clara Co.???
Old 04-18-2015, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comifornia:( View Post
Can I apply for a CCW in Tulare Co. if I live in santa clara Co.???
No you can't. You must apply to your county Sheriff or local PD
Old 04-18-2015, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg33 View Post
No you can't. You must apply to your county Sheriff or local PD
If you have a CCW can it be used in all of California? Or just the county you got it from?
Old 04-18-2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
If you have a CCW can it be used in all of California? Or just the county you got it from?
All of California.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Its valid throughout the state
Old 04-27-2015, 8:02 AM

I was at a rib cook-off in Exeter this weekend and a guy at the Sportsmen's Club said that Tulare Co. just did away with the school restriction. He said that his buddy went to pick up his renewal and was informed of the change in policy.
Anyone else heard about this?

I checked the Sheriff's website and didn't see anything.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:24 AM

I haven't heard anything, but I'm still waiting for my call. When I get called in (hopefully soon) I'm going to definitely ask about that.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemani4u View Post
I haven't heard anything, but I'm still waiting for my call. When I get called in (hopefully soon) I'm going to definitely ask about that.
You may not even have to ask. On the bottom of the permit, it will either be listed or it will be blank. If it's blank, it's no longer a policy.
I was going to call but I know they are super busy trying to process all the apps.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM

Good to know, thanks for that info! I'll definitely keep you posted when I pick up my permit!
Old 04-28-2015, 3:01 PM

Hurry up, Bemani4u. I need answers.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 PM

I know, right? Believe me when I say that I've had my phone glued to my pocket and been anxiously waiting for that phone call, lol!
Old 05-04-2015, 12:33 PM

Any day now, bemani.